PDA

View Full Version : One Hour Photo: A Review

FLMKR4EB
Jun 20th, 2002, 09:26:58 PM
Yes, I indeed had the pleasure of viewing the third film in which Robin Williams portrays a psychologically sick human being. How? All I'll say is that it was a nice private screening with 3 producer friends of mine, an author, and myself.

THE PRINT.

The print was brand new, only run once prior to this screening. My grade. Fair print. It had some wear on the tails of a few reels which bothered me. That's the labs fault, not the projectinist, who also is a close friend of mine. He Gaffed a movie I worked on, and was the crane oporator on another.

THE MOVIE

Well, the movie opens with a very straining and tense score accompanied by the sounds of an automated photo processor. Very eerie. Right away I was uncomfortable, which is a good thing for a film of this nature. The opening shot was really nice. It's an entirely too long static shot of a police mug shot camera. Wow, I love the use of suspence in this shot, I mean it just drags making you more and more uncomfortable. Good directing and editing call there.

But after that, it's pretty much down hill. The movie starts with a flashback. In my opinion, flashbacks can make or break a film. For instense, The Usual Suspects, great use of flashback to tell a story. One Hour Photo? Not a good use. It gives the audience way to much knowledge before the plot even begins and giving you only one question to wait for an answer to at the end. So, as a writer/director, the use of flashback here is a really poor choice. Tell the story.

Oh, and the pay off for the one question you are given is mediocre. I mean, its a cool idea, but makes the movie end to simply, to "Disney". To summarize, if Disney were going to make a movie about a psycho stalker, this would be it. You feel this guy, this poor loser. It works, you do feel sympathy, but more than anything creeped out, which is a testament to Robin Williams' excellent performance.

Robin give it his all, and totally weirds me out, every second he is on screen. Kudos to him. He makes this film worth watching. Man he gave me chills from the get go, and made me squirm in my seat with anxiouty. He just made me so uncomfortable, exatly what he needed to do.

Now, I forgot who directed this, and didn't feel the need to look it up because in my opinion he did an average job of directing, and an even less average job writing it. Its a cool concept. Something I wish I would have gotten to first, but I didn't care for the story that much.

BUT, the director made some really great choices in shots. IF and when you see this film, please keep this in mind, watch the framing on Robin Williams. Its a really clever trick, but he is framed like a picture 85% of the time. I mean there are shots of him through windows, several of his face in a mirror, car window, etc. He is generally boxed in, like a photgraph, there is almost always something bordering his portrait or self. I love this, its such a small thing that not too many will pick up on it, but it is so cool. I love framing, it is something that young filmmakers forget all about, but is very important. Framing can create mood, tension, anything you want, you just need to play with it.

I also must say, the production design was so choice. Nice a subtle, great color schemes, esspecially with the different hues of Blue.

So, over all it wasn't a great movie, it was ok. Worth waiting for video, nothing I'd ever own. See it if you really want to catch it in theaters, its not something that must be seen on the big screen, its only in 1:85, which is all it needed, scope would have been too much for this film, and although I love scope to death, it just wouldn't have worked here.

My advice is rent it.

Rating: C

--FLMKR4EB

CMJ
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:20:33 AM
I was fairly curious about this film. I guess it's nothing to write home about though. I'll probably wait till the discount theatre now. Thanks. :)

Quadinaros
Sep 25th, 2002, 11:51:51 PM
I finally got around to seeing One Hour Photo tonite, and I must say I liked it much more than FLMKR4EB. Robin Williams was really creepy, we agree on that.

But I thought the script was also excellent. It was really hard to predict what was going to happen at the end, and when it all wrapped up, I was quite satisfied. Definately worth catching on the big screen, IMO.

JonathanLB
Sep 26th, 2002, 03:15:02 AM
It is one of the better films of this year, top 15 to 20 anyway. I'd give it 3.5 stars and I highly recommend it.

I like these morality tales, but especially when they are well done, and this film was INCREDIBLY well done. Nobody can deny its quality, although certainly I can understand people not liking it. For many people, this will just not be their kind of movie and they won't enjoy it at all, but they must at least admit that the film is exceptionally well put together, from the acting to the direction, the cinematography, the music, everything about it is well made. It's a high quality film and I definitely enjoyed it.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 26th, 2002, 09:51:31 AM
Williams looks really good in it. Any of you that saw it do you think he is oscar worthy?

Quadinaros
Sep 26th, 2002, 04:59:25 PM
I think he's worthy of a nomination. I'm not sure how much the movie will still be in the academy's minds at the end of the year, however. The movie's done solid business, but hasn't really been a hit, so it may be forgotten by nomination time.

JediBoricua
Sep 26th, 2002, 06:23:15 PM
Well if the competition does not get better, he will get the nomination.

I liked the movie, did not love it though. I agree almost entirely with Filmkr4eb.

JonathanLB
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:04:44 PM
If you liked it, you couldn't agree that it was a C movie. That means average, and unless you like average movies, then no.

"Williams looks really good in it. Any of you that saw it do you think he is oscar worthy?"

I think maybe so, but he was great in Insomnia too and I think Insomnia was slightly better than One Hour Photo. I'd give them both B+ grades, but Insomnia was 1 point away from my A- grade.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:23:02 PM
"liked it did not love it" so I think thats the difference between your B+ and his A-

*shudder* I don't want to see Robin Williams as a creep! Well I just saw Death to Smoochy, but that was still funny.

Mu Satach
Sep 26th, 2002, 07:54:24 PM
Originally posted by FLMKR4EB
To summarize, if Disney were going to make a movie about a psycho stalker, this would be it.

:D :D :D :D :D

Ok, I have to see it now. I wasn't going to even bother with it, but upon reading your review I think I'll catch it when it hits the dollar theaters.

Excellent Review. :)

JonathanLB
Sep 30th, 2002, 11:51:09 PM
What did you think of Death to Smoochy?

Not as bad as I thought it would be, but I gave it 2.5. So I gave it a favorable review, I liked it somewhat, but not a quality film really. I dunno, it was better than decent, hehe.

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Oct 1st, 2002, 01:03:22 AM
I thought it was hilarious, just reminded me of how I want to kill Barney. It didn't take itself too seriously, which was refreshing, and Robin Williams was hiliarious, Edward Norton was adorable, and ...it was funny. Best attribute of a comedy, imo.

Kregain Richtien
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:53:26 AM
My mom and aunt wanted to see that movie, I instead drug them off to see xXx, a very awesome movie my whole family enjoyed. When my mom and aunt finally went to see One Hour Photo on their own, she came home and said it sucked. All I have to say is this...

Its one hour photo, anyone whos droped off and picked up pictures before can see the premise of this movie is flawed totally. If ya wanna see a crappy robin williams movie see toys, or a movie about a crazy killer see Stepfather, but not this movie...

Quadinaros
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:06:37 AM
Originally posted by Kregain Richtien
anyone whos droped off and picked up pictures before can see the premise of this movie is flawed totally.

How is the premise flawed totally?

I've droped off and picked up pictures before, and I didn't find One Hour Photo to be particularly far-fetched.

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:44:23 AM
It wasn't far-fetched at all! Every element of the film was totally possible and realistic, which is why it's a bit creepy. You couldn't even make an argument that had facts supporting it saying that the movie was not realistic. It wouldn't stand up to any counter-debate.

Toys, wow I had forgotten about that, I REALLY like that movie, yet I think most people didn't like it and it bombed or something.

I like a lot of bombs over the last decade, hehe, Waterworld was not a good film, it was a GREAT film, one of the best of its year, yet somehow people didn't like it. Yeah it had some, ok a lot of factual inaccuracies, but come on, it was a great premise and well executed. A few flaws (villains were cardboard cutouts), but it was awesome.

Sejah Haversh
Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:45:25 AM
Well, after unfortunately seeing Insomnia, Robin Williams in a creepy role is just NOT appealing to me.

I'm sorry, I just can't get excited about this movie, and probably won't see it until it's on TV someday, and that's only if I have time to kill and there's nothing else on.

I almost walked out of Insomina, and this movie, so far, doesn't look any better.

JonathanLB
Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:34:05 AM
Insomnia was a great movie! Almost every critic loved it, audiences loved it, it was just a great movie. My god, what movie were you watching anyhow?!

Sejah Haversh
Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:22:12 PM
No, I was watching Insomnia. I thought Pacino's acting was flat and dull, the directing to be stagnant, and the script poorly written.

It was a long, drawn-out simple story with no real twists I didn't see coming two miles away, and an ending that was, well, blahse.

I got no enjoyment out of that film, and I am left befuddled at how so many people liked it. Really, I absolutely hated that movie, and would never, ever watch it again.