PDA

View Full Version : For all USA car freaks...

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 06:20:54 PM
Prepare to be pwnd

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,4551966%255E421,00.html

For details...

http://www.hsv.com.au/news/2002/pontiacf.html

And there is model above that with 450 hp. And there is a 500 hp model due out in a year.

Have fun with a Aussie built real car - not some crap front wheel drive or POS Mustang.

Azure Regalia
Jun 20th, 2002, 06:30:49 PM
:eek

Wipes drool from her lower lip.

Puuuurrrrdyyyy caaarrrrrrr...

More drool.

Mu Satach
Jun 20th, 2002, 06:49:47 PM
oooooooOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo..........

so that's where the good GM cars went...

Jehova Eaven
Jun 20th, 2002, 07:10:09 PM
Yeah, lucky Australians with their V8... I prefer rice though... not crappy Honda rice either.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 07:32:01 PM
Once you get bitten by a Holden V8, rice sorta looks rather pale :)

But a GT-R or WRX = nice.

Imagine however a Gen III V8 powered wagon. It's the typical big car used ofr families. Is it a frightening thought taht old grannies and housewives drives 300 hp Commodores?

Ryu Warusa
Jun 20th, 2002, 07:56:48 PM
Yes it is.... considering that they drive so darn slow! Argh! :: road rage starts to build :: Drivers in Miami are the worst in the world!

Morgan Evanar
Jun 20th, 2002, 08:52:38 PM
No, drivers in Portugal (statistically) are the worst in the world, but we do have some horrid ones here.

Skylines, WRX, RX-7 and TT Supras are all legitamate speed machines.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 08:54:15 PM
Notice they are all turbos. Most things in Japan with turbos kicks butt. Add 4wd..... mmmmm yummy. Definantly NOT rice

Figrin D'an
Jun 20th, 2002, 09:11:33 PM
A friend of mine recently got the WRX... very very nice. Fun to drive. :)

Lucifer
Jun 20th, 2002, 09:22:47 PM
I like Volvos..niiiiiiiiiiiiiice Volvos

Quellin Vos
Jun 20th, 2002, 09:41:13 PM
I'm still partial to the new <a href=http://www.nissandriven.com/ms/futurez/ModelHomePage/1,1308,520,00.html>Nissan 350Z</a>, but that's just me. :)

Vinny Red
Jun 20th, 2002, 10:01:31 PM
I'll stick with the Jap scrap stuff myself, provided that people put the work into it properly and just don't add on the 24 inch tall spoiler and some japanese stickers and then proclaim their car fast.

There is a group of idiots around here that did up their neon's..they look retarded. then there is the guy who has a sunfire riced right up. Complete with the factory spoiler AND the 18 inch spoiler that goes over it.

We've got some real classy cars i tell ya....

Gouyen Chee
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:02:03 AM
Wassa matta with Mustangs? I have a V6 ponycar -- or should I say my husband has it and I love it -- well, except for one thing: lack of horsepower. That was sort of deliberate on our part as the car was replacing another Mustang, a GT, that I had totaled after finding out that it can do 125mph. (don't worry -- one car accident w/no injuries. As for the circumstances -- issa longo tello) It's being modified piece by piece -- it already has tires, wheels, suspension and a cat-back system on it, with more to come as finances permit. And yes, there is a supercharger in the future -- smoked Camero anyone ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:34:11 AM
If you drive the Holden Monaro and compare to a Mustang, you'll know whats wrong with the Mustang reeeeaaaallllll quick. We got a shipment of GT's and a few Shelby RA's and the Monaro just waves bye bye. Even in superchaged V6 form, the Monaro is one damn fast car, in a straight line around corners and with a six spot race brake package, stops as well.

When you finally get Holdens in 2003, you'll understand why Aussies hold USA "sports cars" with a good degree of contempt. We have been spoilt. If there is one thing we have over most places is the variety of cars we can get. We have some top notch turbo Jap cars, some choice Europe blitzers and our local Fords and Holdens, which have become almost unique - cheap, high performacnce 4 door rear drive family cars. And they are standard issue almost. The Holden runs at the low end a Buick sourced V6 that runs 170 odd Kw standard. We get em supercharged as well. Then add the V8 Gen III, with the 225 Kw, 255Kw and 300 Kw options. The 255Kw option is a tick option on all Commodores and the 300Kw is HSV, the local version of Calloway.

Some maniacs modify the Commodore for 350 Kw with a factory warranty - thats a full 500 hp family car. With such a lot of V8 power all aroud the place, any wonder we sit back with a self satisfied smirk? Our cars are something to be proud of. It's a classic to see these home boy doff doff tossers get eaten alive by a bog standard family hack.

Hell, we have work utes with 250 Kw (350 hp). Not show cars, standard tradesman hacks.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:22:58 AM
Quellin - I'd much rather have a Skyline GT-R, thanky.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:16:56 AM
Psh... any factory standard car will die compared to the cars being driven around in my town (a lot of custom car companies nearby and a lot of groups of teens modifying cars)

But that's still a nice car...

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:40:38 AM
Quellin, I thought I was alone in my love for the 350 Z!!! Of course the Z car holds alot of sentimental value to me, but I so want the 350.

and a Skyline? I'm drooling right now. I've seen videos of Skylines racing in Japan, and it's great cause they always outrun the cops; or at least in all the ones I've seen. Damn those are nice cars.

Chase Starwalker
Jun 21st, 2002, 10:57:23 AM
I love RX-7's :)

Probably my favorite (reasonably priced) car!

Mu Satach
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:14:04 PM
I love Mustangs... but I have to admit that the suspension and braking systems are snot compared to a lot of others... my little Oldsmobile Quad 4 kicks the can of my mom's mustang... but her's is a convertible.... so it get's noticed where my car just looks kinda ordinary...

Gouyen Chee
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:57:21 PM
Wow, Marcus! And I thought us Yanks were horsepower-crazed! But I still love our Mustang. :) It's a nice combination of looks, handling and adequate horsepower -- which also means halfway decent gas mileage. But as for acceleration -- my little Focus ZX-3 can beat the pants of the Mustang. Well, it has an unfair advantage -- 5 speed manual versus a four speed automatic.

I think one of the differences between Aussie cars and US cars is a little thing called smog. Cars over here, and particularly here in California, are stifled with all sorts of emission control gadgets -- no wonder we don't have any horsepower! That's why some of the most popular tuner mods are cold air induction kits and a cat-back exhaust systems. Let the engine breathe.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:44:07 PM
Now, which mustang are we talking about? GT, Cobra, Billet(sp)(limited amount made)??? And which year :)

Personally, Ima' Cobra fan.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:59:31 PM
Gouyen - Aussie cars will pass USA emissions tests. Scary they still develop all that power eh?

Khendon - we have a race series called GT Production, which is standard cars racing each other. right now, the car to have is the 300KW HSV GTS Commodore. The Mustang GT Cobra doesnt even compare. This race series is cool cause you see WRX, Porches, Ferraris, Diablos etc racing together. The Mustang competeing in the series is a Australia only 25 car run called the RA, which was modified with a much, much more powerful motor, Wings, suspension and brakes. And it still gets beaten by the GTS. The only Mustang to do well in racing was the '67 at the hands of a guy called Allan Moffat. It did okay until about 1970 when the first Monaro came out. And then we had the 1972 GTHO Falcon, an aussie car that was the fastest 4 door in the world of the time and Americam cars never figured in racing or Aussie culture after that.

One of the reasons is that USA cars are set up far too soft. They just plain dont handle compared to Europe or Aussie cars. One rule of getting a USA built car is always make sure the suspension has been changed to something better, to a Aussie or Europe spec. Too freeway cruising bias, thence the ride is good but then they understeer too much

Khendon Sevon
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:14:32 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Remember, Americans don't want cars that can run through mud and a thousand miles at top speed with tight turns... they want drag racers, hot rods, vehicles designed for the "open" American roads... and that's what they're designed for... not for crushing European cars in races, just for cruising, 'cause that's where the American car companies can make money.

Now, what about American cars with European parts? Like the Cadillac CTS (I know, I know, it’s not that powerful, but it’s fun!)

Lucifer
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:05:02 PM
VOLVOS!

Morgan Evanar
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:39:48 PM
Weirdo.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:48:56 PM
cheers.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 10:06:02 PM
Hey, the Volvo 242 GT Turbo is / was a fukking weapon. So is the 850 T5. I;ve driven a 850 T5 wagon and even as an auto, it smokes a lot of cars. 100 meter long front drive burnouts are awesome, especially accelerating the whole way :)