PDA

View Full Version : The Red Dragon

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:36:05 PM
Who else wants to see this movie? I saw a preview of it on Access Hollywood and it looks great, it is the first book dealing with Dr. Hannible Lecter in this one an FBI Agent Will Graham (Edward Norton) is trying to hunt this serial killer called the Tooth Fairy (played by Ralph Fiennes) but to catch him he must interview Dr. Lecter (he caught him originally). The cast looks brilliant, Norton, Hopkins, Fiennes, also in the cast is Harvey Kietel (playing Jack Crawford, played by Scott Glenn in SOTL) Philip Seymor Hoffman, always brillaint, Emily Watson and Mary Louise Parker. Also interesting is that Anthony Hearld is repising is role of Dr. Chilton from SOTL. The only thing that worries me is the director is Brett Ratner who did the Rush Hour movies, now of course this is his chance to make it here if he can create a great movie he will make it big, but this is his first dramatic movie. Still I can't wait to see Hannible on the screen again.

Figrin D'an
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:40:17 AM
Is this supposed to be a remake of "Manhunter?" I know that "Red Dragon" was the original title of that film, the same name as the book it from which it was adapted, but it was changed after the script revisions. The characters you mentioned are the same as appeared in that film, with different actors of course. Lecktor was played by Brian Cox, if I remember correctly, rather than Hopkins.

I guess I could understand the desire to redo the film, with Hopkins as Lecktor... Manhunter was a pretty good film, though... it got generally good praise from fans of the book. I guess I'll see it, but I'm not really psyched about it or anything, not like I was for "Hannibal" (which I felt was okay, but no where near "The Silence of the Lambs").

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:31:29 AM
I look forward to this film, hope it delivers the chills and taunt atmosphere of it's two predecessors. Hannibal really freaked me out with the gore and F/X. IMHO, SOTL remains the strongest film thus far because of it's taunt delivery and never went over-the-top like I felt Hannibal did. Brett Ratner has big shoes to fill following the success of the two prior movies. But with Anthony Hopkins reprising the role of Hannibal Lector should create a strong draw in itself.

In 1986, Michael Mann, fresh from his dreadful Miami Vice series, directed the movie, 'Manhunter'. Based very strongly on the novel, Red Dragon, it starred William L Petersen as FBI Agent Graham and a very convincing Brian Cox as Hannibal Lector. This movie really failed to convey an image of realism and horror. Instead felt glamorized much like an episode of Miami Vice. The novel was transformed into a action flick betraying essentially betraying it's power.(lol) However Brian Cox was electrifying and IMHO, his performance is as good if not better than Hopkin's evil professor persona. The climax of the film was decent with the Tooth Fairy cranking the stereo to Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" while blasting with a shotgun. Cliched, yes... yet really, really grabbed the moment. Manhunter is worth watching for Brian Cox's effort and it's ending.

Admiral Lebron
Jun 18th, 2002, 06:08:17 AM
Yeah I saw the access hollywood thing. Looks good. Didn't catch a release date though. :(

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2002, 06:12:21 AM
look on IMDB.com

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2002, 11:44:29 AM
I have never seen Manhunter, I never saw it before seeing Silence of the Lambs and after seeing SOTL I couldn't see anybody else playing Lecter except for Hopkins. This movie also has a better cast Norton is a great actor way better than Peterson and defently Fiennes is better than Tom Noonan who played the Tooth Fairy. One question for those who saw that original film, is the ending really different from the book? I ask because in the novel Silence of the Lambs it says that Graham's face looked like it was reranged by Picaso. I have never read Red Dragon so I have no idea what happened, I was guessing that the serial killer Tooth Fairy/Red Dragon, did it to him so did that happen in Manhunter or was it changed?

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:11:28 PM
Unfortunately, in Manhunter, FBI Agent Graham did not have his face ruined by the Tooth Fairy but the movie had an climatic gunfight/scuffle for an ending.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2002, 11:34:50 PM
That is interesting at least this time the movie will follow the book more closely hopefully.

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 18th, 2002, 11:42:57 PM
Hannibal = I was looking forward to it, but it grossed me out too much for me to enjoy it. *shudder* I missed Jodi Foster.

SotL = I love this movie.

I might see this one, but Hannibal was so over the top...I don't know that I could stomach another one about Dr. Lecter.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2002, 11:50:07 PM
The director says that he is trying to do a more subtle horror film more similar to SOTL than Hannible. If they follow the book they won't have a problem, that really was the problem with Hannible though I liked it, there was no suspense the book and film gave away everything.

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2002, 07:15:16 AM
BTW, apparently there will be a further film after Red Dragon

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2002, 11:09:59 AM
You mean another film about Hannible? I had heard rumors of one dealing with him after the book/movie Hannible, the question is can they do one without Harris writing another book (I have my doubt he would write another book about Hannible)?

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2002, 11:16:43 AM
Yeah, after Hannibal

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 19th, 2002, 03:30:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
You mean another film about Hannible? I had heard rumors of one dealing with him after the book/movie Hannible, the question is can they do one without Harris writing another book (I have my doubt he would write another book about Hannible)?

Personally I have had enough of Hannibal but appreciate that Red Dragon follows the book more closely than Manhunter. I will watch Red Dragon to appreciate it's proper entirety. But a fourth Hannibal film is a very bad move. It is not neccessary and points to the studio wanting to cash-in on Hannibal. This has nothing to do with love of film-making. Greedy bastards!

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2002, 03:50:32 PM
Depends if the tale is good :)

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 19th, 2002, 04:09:04 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Depends if the tale is good :)

Perhaps, but I find Hannibal movies lacking versatility and progressively unrealistic. I completely detest the character after the last movie. IIRC, Lektor's role is greatly diminished in RD. It's literally been about ten years or more since I read the novel. That will be a change for the better.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 19th, 2002, 09:16:42 PM
Now I liked the last movie, but I am not sure if they should do another Hannible film, first off Harris would probably never write it so it would be up to some screenwriter. Second, I think 3 movies about him is enough no need for a 4th. But MGM is in a lot of trouble and other than Bond they can't make any hits besides Hannible, so if RD is a hit they might try it.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:18:24 PM
Oh yeah, I seen the trailer to Red Dragon when I saw Minority Report. And guess what, it looks superb! I saw a few clips of dialogue between Graham (Norton) and Lector (Hopkins)! Marvelous! I am all psyched to see the movie because it appears to take up the torch from SOTL!