PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Combat

Sene Unty
Jun 16th, 2002, 12:23:15 PM
I am writing this post in order to bring to everyones attention a very interesting thing I have read. In the new Star Wars Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary I have found a rather interesting way of fighting. The book claims that there are Seven forms of Jedi combat. This interested me when they explained how certain Jedi know certain forms of combat that correspond to the way they are. For instance Mace Windu is "one of the best living lightsaber fighters in the Jedi Order" and so he knows the more difficult form of combat: Form VII. The book explains Form VII as being a "dangerous regimen that cuts perilously close to the Sith focus on physical combat ability." It also stresses that this Form should only be attempted by a master that has knowledge in other Forms. The book doesn't explain what all the seven are in detail, it does give examples of who in the movie knows which ones.

obi-Wan knows the more defense minded form : Form III.

Anakin has started learning Form IV, a form that is known for its power.

Count Dooku knows Form II, a more elegant form of fighting that lends itself to wide sweeping motions and deftness of hands.

Yoda probably knows them All:D

So anyway, I found this to be even more intersting when I thought of all the ways we could implement this into the way we fight. We could come up with a way to have everyone learn a form (we would have to come up witht the seven forms ourselves). In this way fights could be more managable and have a set way of turning out. I also thought it would be cool to pick the form you wanted. For instance, if your character was really acrobatic, then we could have a form that focused on jumping and agile moves.

I honestly would like everyones input on this, because i really think this is a very cool idea. :rollin

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 16th, 2002, 12:52:36 PM
There was a post about it not too long ago in the OOC forum, but I think it's a good idea to try and select the Form type for your character :)

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:04:50 PM
It was my thread:)

Sene Unty
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:07:01 PM
Well I didn't know anything about that since I am new, but I still think it is a good idea that should be used. What do you think?

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:43:49 PM
I realise this, I was just saying ;)

The only thing I'd mention is that considering Obi Wan started learning III after the death of Qui Gon, and that Anakin has started learning IV, that newcomers keep to practicing the TPM Obi Wan style, which I assume as form I. Then you sortof go from there.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 16th, 2002, 08:32:57 PM
I am more of a form IV type of person....I like to use a lot of power and stuff. But I think that we should make up our own....I have taken after Verse's fighting style....shadowdancing....and the reverse grip saber/sword fighting style. I also impliment a ton of martial arts in my spars and battles....because I am a martial artist in real life, so it is easy for me to write out things that have to do with it. My character is very agile and flexible, so she uses a combination of martial arts/acrobatics/gymnastics/dance....to create a powerful fighting style that is beautiful all in the same. :) I think that this is a good discussion topic....... :D "You have done well, my Padawan...." :lol

Sage Hazzard
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:32:34 AM
I watch too many Kung-Fu movies. So I mix all sorts of junk into my posts. Plus, I know a little Judo, so I incorperate that. Judo being using a person's weight, size, and strength against them. Works well for Sage.

I suppose he uses a powerful sided form. Although he doesn't really use the lightsabre. He uses it to block the other sabre, not much else. He relies on the rest of his body and the Force to fight. Another thing that seperates him from normal Jedi practice.

Hey, it's fun to try and put your character into a form catagory. This is a good idea.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:38:11 AM
I have the Way of the Octopus

Strike out with everything you got!

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:46:28 AM
Sorry Xazor.... isn't shadowdancing a BeeGee's song???

:]

But seriously... When I start training my padawans, I ask them what "field" they want to go into... be it healing, fighting, whatever. If fighting, then I train them in both the skills they need and the style that best fits. I also have the visual dictionary, and I use that as refrence sometimes.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:27:41 PM
:lol :lol :lol @ Ryla....I don't know, I don't listen to the Beegees....or whatever their name is. ;) Anywayz...I too ask what they wish to go into, as Verse had asked me. I choose to be a Mentalist first and an Elementist second...but above all a Warrior of the Light..... (that sounded corny..... :lol)

Chase Starwalker
Jun 19th, 2002, 11:36:24 PM
Hmmmm...I like the idea :)

I'd have to say Chase's would be more of a Form IV...like Anakin...known for it's power....

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 05:32:10 AM
Seriously for a second, Marcus is more of a pure sword fighter, I would think VII mainly because VII incorporates other styles. I think he would be very capable of Form II, tho he has a heavier style due to the sword he uses. That is a heavier weapon, requiring more control because of it's different balance and weight.

He also knows twin blades very well - I will point out Anakin was stupid when he tried that. Twin blade needs to be close to the body, fast and going across the body. The first blade sets up the attack, the second actually does the attack. OR you use one for defence, the other for attack. Sabres are also a touch too long as well.

Oriadin
Jun 20th, 2002, 05:38:22 AM
Is there somewhere on the net that explains the forms?

Chase Starwalker
Jun 21st, 2002, 10:41:36 AM
Yeah, It'd be nice to see all the forms explained somewhere on the net....then maybe we can get other people going there, and get this thing going

Sene Unty
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:33:43 PM
That was precisley my thinking Chase. We could use what we already know about some of the forms, and come up with the rest ourselves.....I don't know it's just an idea. I think we are pretty creative. And we don't necessarily have to limit ourselves to seven forms.....there can be more.

Chase Starwalker
Jun 27th, 2002, 01:22:40 PM
True...everyone could give bits and pieces to each one...we could easily make up the seven forms from what we already know, then maybe someone could make a page about it here at the GJO

Sene Unty
Jun 27th, 2002, 03:06:31 PM
I would really like to see this happen. If anyone with the power to do something like this wants to, I will be glad to contribute.

Chase Starwalker
Jun 27th, 2002, 10:19:28 PM
ditto :)

Kack Mebuff
Jun 28th, 2002, 02:28:03 PM
I think that is a great idea. We could use what we know and go from there!! Sweet!! Lightsaber training is so cool.

:duel