PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm new.

FLMKR4EB
Jun 16th, 2002, 08:03:28 AM
I just joined the Props Forum, and was browsing, and thought this would be interesting.

Just to tell you a little about myself...

I'm a professional Filmmaker
Currently I'm working on several independant films which begin production in the fall. As of now I'm assisting the producers on these films.
I have a film of my own which goes into production next spring.
Also I'm a film inspector for the second largest film archive in the USA.

Thought I'd be able to add to the discussions.

BUFFJEDI
Jun 16th, 2002, 08:43:43 AM
hidy ho:wave

I'm Ravishing jedi aka BUFF

I'm a part time bit actor (hint, hint ) welcome.

btw did I tell you I'm a bit part actor;)

JMK
Jun 16th, 2002, 12:08:54 PM
Welcome aboard.
I'm a graphic designer, so I can do your movie posters! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2002, 02:19:36 PM
Hi welcome aboard. :) You need to talk to CMJ he is in the movie buisness, he is a writer.

darth_mcbain
Jun 16th, 2002, 02:35:21 PM
Welcome aboard - I'm a computer programmer, so I can do some of your CG work... :)

FLMKR4EB
Jun 16th, 2002, 02:38:46 PM
I write a lot of my own stuff, but have 5 scripts on my plate at the moment. I'm also the director's assistant on one of the films fall, the other two I'm working in the camera department, and other odd jobs.

I can't wait to see the diveresity of movie knowledge and views this forum has to offer. It seems cool and low key, as well as whitty. The ones I've looked at in the past, AICN being one, are populated by people who just want to fight about movies. From what I've read, you all have a mutal love for movies, and enjoy sharing positive movie going experiences. Hope you guys accept me, and that we have fun sharing film ideas and views.

Oh, I'll include my top 10 list here as well, please post your own lists so I can start to get to know you all.

1.Forrest Gump
2.The Empire Strikes Back
3.Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.Leon: The Professional
5.Almost Famous
6.Back to the Future
7.The Dead Poet's Society
8.Fight Club
9.The Shawshank Redemption
10.Reservoir Dogs

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 16th, 2002, 03:01:23 PM
Welcome aboard and hope you thoroughly enjoy your stay here in the SWFans forum! A great community and am looking forward to sharing thoughts on film and other related matters with you. Impressive resume BTW! ;)

CMJ
Jun 16th, 2002, 04:09:36 PM
Hey...welcome aboard. I'll post my list when I get back into LA tommorrow. :)

For Everyone else...

I've had ALOT of fun coming back "home" this weekend. Great wedding....I'll post a full synopsis tommorrow. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2002, 04:11:46 PM
Hi, I'm useless, but with mystical powers :)

BUFFJEDI
Jun 16th, 2002, 05:31:42 PM
Hi, I'm useless

yeah we know:D but we still love ya ;)

foxdvd
Jun 16th, 2002, 06:31:17 PM
Hi, I am foxdvd....

:angel

JonathanLB
Jun 16th, 2002, 08:49:11 PM
Don't let Fox's simple introduction fool you. Never will you find a more knowledgeable film AND DVD buff! :) CMJ and Fox are the two biggest movie buffs I know. I hope someday to be as wise as they are, hehe, but for now I'll settle for a filmbuff in training or something :)

"1.Forrest Gump
2.The Empire Strikes Back
3.Raiders of the Lost Ark
4.Leon: The Professional
5.Almost Famous
6.Back to the Future
7.The Dead Poet's Society
8.Fight Club
9.The Shawshank Redemption
10.Reservoir Dogs"

Of the movies I have seen here (all but Reservoir Dogs), they are all great films except I did not at all care for Forrest Gump, sorry. I just felt it was really boring and overrated. Nonetheless, of course ESB and Raiders are great films, Leon is really a neat movie, very unique I think, Almost Famous is fantastic, Back to The Future another great, fun movie, The Dead Poet's Society is quite a serious, intellectual movie and one I like a great deal. Fight Club absolutely would make my top 25 or so, as would The Shawshank Redemption, they are AWESOME movies.

I still have to see Reservoir Dogs. That is a good top 10 list.

The 5 Star Wars films dominate my top 5... Beyond that, my top 10 non-Star Wars would be something like...

1) Gladiator
2) The Game
3) The Truman Show
4) The Matrix
5) Blade Runner
6) Alien

Umm, I cannot decide the final order, but to be honest I think probably The Counte of Monte Cristo would be in the top 10 actually, and there just so many others. Ben-Hur would be top 25 probably, umm, it's so hard making an order.

I just know my top 10 pretty much, and since 5 are Star Wars movies, that makes it easy enough. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 16th, 2002, 09:27:05 PM
Hello! I'm a roleplayer who likes to prove she has no taste in movies by posting here. I'm only saying that because I liked Scooby-Doo and everyone else (who haven't seen it, I might add) thinks it stinks worse than last weeks socks..that you're still wearing.... >_<

I don't make a top ten list, because its way to hard to rank good movies!! Star Wars movies, and the Indiana Jones trilogy are among my most favorites. So is Gladiator, Braveheart, Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Matrix, and The Emperor's New Groove. ^_^;

FLMKR4EB
Jun 16th, 2002, 09:55:40 PM
Funny you mention Count of Monte Cristo. I had an oportunity to spend an afternoon with director Kevin Reynolds discussing the film, then went to a screening he hosted earlier this year. What a great guy, although he hated the ending of the film and fought the studio's decision. He wanted to kill the girl off, which would have made for a better ending.

CMJ
Jun 16th, 2002, 10:47:31 PM
My top 10 of all-time...geez that's like impossible(I'd be hard pressed to give you a top 100 of all-time), I love so many movies, but I'll give it a whirl.

1. Schindler's List
2. Citizen Kane
3. It's a Wonderful Life
4. Amadeus
5. The Right Stuff
6. Titanic
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. American Beauty
9. The Empire Strikes Back
10. The Shawshank Redemption

Grrrrr....I already despise the list as I've left off AT LEAST 50 movies that deserve to be on it. I'm also not sure of the placements of all of the ones that ARE on my list. Ranking the top 10 for a year is hard as hell....the top 10 of all-time is impossible.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 16th, 2002, 11:30:13 PM
I'm like CMJ there is so many movies I like that it is hard to pick 10 but I will go ahead and try
1 The Empire Strikes Back (I could include all the SW movies on this list but I won't so I will just put down my favorite of the five)
2 Back to the Future
3 Silence of the Lambs
4 Casablanca
5 Braveheart
6 The Godfather
7 Die Hard
8 Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I could include Raiders here too but I like that last one the best so I will just put that one)
9 LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring (It still early here I might change my mind after I see the next two I might like one of them better
10 Ben-Hur

Also you said you chatted with Reynolds did Costner's name ever come up? Just curious I have heard rumors they do not get along any more.

Figrin D'an
Jun 16th, 2002, 11:30:51 PM
I have to agree with CMJ... putting together my top 10 films of all time is impossible, there are just too many films that are deserving. I try to give some of my favorites, though...

Casablanca (all-time personal favorite film)
Schindler's List
The Godfather, Parts I & II (they're almost like one film)
Ben-Hur
Dr. Strangelove
Close Encouters of the Third Kind
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Shichinin no samurai
The Usual Suspects
The Silence of the Lambs
Vertigo
LA Confidential
The Apartment
The Princess Bride
A Christmas Story
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Life is Beautiful

I could go on and on... :) Of course, the Star Wars films are high on my list, and I'm a big fan of Kevin Smith's films. I would probably also put The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on my list as well, but I really want to wait for The Two Towers and The Return of the King before I place it, 'cause I kind of want to judge it as a complete story.

Admiral Lebron
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:41:02 AM
Howdy! I'm fairly useless too... I'm a psuedo-roleplayer who doesn't really roleplay here anymore. Join the box office contest! Its fun.

ReaperFett
Jun 17th, 2002, 07:11:40 AM
25. Armageddon
24. Desperado
23. The Limey
22. Goodfellas
21. Out of Sight
20. Grosse Pointe Blank
19. Mystery Men
18. Face/Off
17. Leon/The Professional
16. Pulp Fiction
15. Die Hard
14. Three Kings
13. Evil Dead 2
12. Braindead/Dead Alive
11. Fight Club
10. A Better Tommorow
9. Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels
8. The Killer
7. Army of Darkness
6. Snatch
5. From Dusk til Dawn
4. Boondock Saints
3. The Way of the Gun
2. Reservoir Dogs
1. Hard Boiled

FLMKR4EB
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:22:26 AM
In response to the Kevin Reynolds question. I did ask him about their relationship, but not whether or not they are friends. I, being a directing hopeful, asked him what its like to direct and actor like Costner who is also an accomplished director. He then went on to tell me how gracious an actor and friend Costner is and that they are indeed still friends. He also said that Costner brings great ideas to the table because of his experience, but know's who is actually in charge, and again is quite gracious.

All these lists are great to see, and like I thought there are great and diverse tastse in movies.

CMJ, I've spent my whole life narrowing down my top 10 list, and although I have the same feelings as many of you, as my top 100 list contains arouund 2,000 movies, I recently made myself do it as a way to guage myself and my work.

On the subject of Star Wars. I consider them all, all five of them to occupy the second slot on my list, its just that Empire is by far my favorite, so I give it top billing.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:47:07 AM
That's interesting I guess it must be a myth that they hate each other, I have always heard rumors that they fueded on the set of Waterworld but that could just be false gossip knowing the media.

FLMKR4EB
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:50:26 AM
We didn't talk about waterworld much, although he explained the complications of shooting the film on water like that. Real interesting.

CMJ
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:53:02 AM
Man FLMKR4EB, you're moving along nicely meeting all these people. Sounds like you're gonna "make it". The process is going much, much slower for me.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:53:25 AM
That could explain the problems I think that is really why Waterworld had so many problems because of the nature of the filming.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2002, 11:57:52 AM
Gah! I'm seeing all the movies I left off my list of favorites. LOTR, how on earth did I miss that one!! The Princess Bride...a classic among classics.

Lady Vader
Jun 17th, 2002, 12:38:49 PM
Hi mister filmmaker person :)

[shamless plug] If ya need a PA, I'm your gal. :D [/shamless plug] :lol

I'm still trying to understand this phenomenon (sp?). I know I'm in the minority for not having TESB at the top of my list (even though I consider all SW to be one big bundle at the very top of my list).

At the expense of sounding un-SW-like and up for a probable hanging, I just want to know what this facination is with TESB?

JMK
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:17:16 PM
For me, it's the mood, the setting, Luke's journey, the intense emotional thrust of the whole movie, the soundtrack, the darkness, and the fact that the baddies win one doesn't hurt either...

Darth23
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:35:27 PM
Why do people like movies where the bad guys win?

JMK
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:40:12 PM
Generally, I don't, but its refreshing once in awhile.

Admiral Lebron
Jun 17th, 2002, 01:42:14 PM
I didn't like ESB that much. My favorate is Return of the Jedi... the ships at the end. My god! It amazed my mind at how cool it is. There is no space battle in the history of filmaking that can rival its awesomeness!

FLMKR4EB
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:21:08 PM
The Empire Strikes Back in my opinion...

The mood.

Of all the Star Wars movies, it has the best over all vibe, and I think that a lot of that is due to the intensity of the dark tone. It is the darkest of the films thus far.

Writing

It is the best written of the Star Wars movies. As a movie goer I'm always looking to be surprised, to be taken off guard, and to see filmmakers take me to where I've never been. Now whether that has to do with the story, the setting, or the emotional level they plan, I just like to see film give me a new experience. Empire does things that I neve would have predicted to have seen or felt in, lets face it, a kids movie. Luke gers his hand cut off, he loses his first lightsaber conflict. Han Solo gets captured, tortured, and frozen in carbonite. All hope is lost. The "New Hope" of episode 4, he loses, and thus it is a crushing blow to the Rebelion.

The dialogue is the most natural of all the star wars movies. Although I love them all dearly, much of the dialogue is very unnatural, its very silly at its lowest part. But Irvin's direction in Empire is uncanny. He takes this dialogue and gets these amazing performances from every single actor.

Also remember that the SW Trilogy is a Three act set of three act movies. For the second installment of this trilogy to be able to stand alone as its own seperate entity is also amazing. Something that sets the SW tril from any other trilogy, also making it the best trilogy of films.

Empire embodies everything in a movie that I want to be able to draw from in my own work. It is a perfect movie, and very few perfect movies exist.

foxdvd
Jun 17th, 2002, 08:35:43 PM
I gave up on top ten lists a long time ago. I just can not make one. There are certain movies I would put on there for sure, like "Seven Samurai" "Das Boot" "M" "Rififi" "The Third Man" "The Killer"….but even these movies move in and out of my list from time to time. I will say my favorite movie of all time outside the Star Wars movies has to be "Grave of the Fireflies"

JMK
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:55:44 PM
I always tell people that ESB is a perfect movie and they usually just roll their eyes and dismiss it as a SW movie with crap acting and dialogue. I can agree with the shoddy acting in A New Hope and Jedi maybe, but I can't find anything wrong with Empire at all. Unlike the SE's of the other 2 movies, even the additions to Empire are perfect.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 17th, 2002, 09:56:17 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Gah! I'm seeing all the movies I left off my list of favorites. LOTR, how on earth did I miss that one!! The Princess Bride...a classic among classics.

:: Cracks the leather bullwhip ::

Shame on you, LD! Hehehe.. j/j!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 17th, 2002, 10:15:26 PM
I'm a bad girl, what can I say?

I'd rather kiss a wookiee!

I can arrange that!

Favorite all time quotes from Star Wars seem to ALL come from ESB! It *is* a perfect movie, I must agree.

Darth23
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:18:46 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I always tell people that ESB is a perfect movie and they usually just roll their eyes and dismiss it as a SW movie with crap acting and dialogue. I can agree with the shoddy acting in A New Hope and Jedi maybe, but I can't find anything wrong with Empire at all. Unlike the SE's of the other 2 movies, even the additions to Empire are perfect.

Geez-us ESB isn't even a COMPELTE movie.

Maybe it's different for some of us who had to wait three frickin years to see how it would all turn out.

I swear, ESB almost put me off Star Wars, and I saw ANH 21 times in 1977 and 1978. After seeing ESB a few times I was able to TOLERATE it's lack of an ending, but I never really liked the way it leaves you hanging. ROTJ brought me back to being a Star Wars fan - Ewoks and all.

Problems with ESB:

* too much forced attempts at 'Star Wars humor early on

* excessively futile Hoth Battle - it really didn't make much difference (to the Imperials) that the ground troops were there at
all.

* time problems with the simultaneous plots in the middle of the movie. Luke's storry should have talen weeks to months while Han & Leia's story seems to take days (or even hours) to weeks

* mynocks (well, mynocks inside the space slug)

* the ending - I forgot, WHAT ending.
The Stopping point.

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2002, 02:38:12 AM
Like I always say, the Original Trilogy was one long film, with a beginning, middle and end. Each needs the other to be better (ANH asde, because it had to sell). ESB is just the main body of the story, the middle part

Darth23
Jun 18th, 2002, 02:52:59 PM
I'd agree with that.

:D

JMK
Jun 18th, 2002, 03:25:30 PM
I can see your point D23. If I had to wait 3 years to see Jedi after seeing ESB, I may not have liked it so much. But when I saw Empire, I was already 6 and it was 1984. All of the movies had already made it to video, so the very next day, I just popped Jedi in and completed the saga. But even now, when I watch a SW movie, probably 6 out of 10 times, I'm reaching for Empire.

Jedieb
Jun 18th, 2002, 03:43:43 PM
Welcome FLMKR4EB. Glad to see someone else with a stylish ending to their user ID. :D
D23, you're on crack about ESB, but I still love you. :D

JMK is da MAN!
Dinner's on the table, no time for a top ten, just a top 2:

1. Casablanca
2. ESB

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2002, 03:56:16 PM
Yeah, I had them all together also :)

BUFFJEDI
Jun 18th, 2002, 05:42:10 PM
1: all starwars movies(ep2 first)
1: Jaws
2:halloween 4
3:halloween 5
4:Jaws 2
5:commando
6:Titanic
7:gladiator
8:halloween 2
9:Nick at night(forever knight movie)rick springfield)
10.lion heart

and alone #11 : SKB. which I have only seen in postproduction in which I had principal role /which SUCKED /which I doubt will ever hit theaters:(

JonathanLB
Jun 18th, 2002, 07:21:27 PM
I think the acting in ANH is awesome. I really love the acting in all of the films, but the worst little line comes in ESB, sorry to say, even though it's my favorite of the OT...

"Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?"

Jesus, I can forgive almost anything, but edit that guy out. I couldn't imagine if someone TRIED they could deliver a line worse than that. The actual line is fine, it is great, it should have been said more like, "Two fighters?!? Against a STAR DESTROYER?!" Instead he says it totally monotone and like an idiot.

I think the dialogue in all of the films is the most natural and realistic ever written, which is the PROBLEM for many people! They don't realize that natural dialogue is ok, so they think, "Oh boy, this doesn't sound like Shakespeare." No, sure doesn't, but people don't talk like Shakespeare either.

Ok 2 minutes to go on the computer, better go now, lol.

My point stands. SW dialogue rocks, best ever.

ReaperFett
Jun 18th, 2002, 07:42:00 PM
NOONE edits out Hobbie!

The worst was "Good, our first catch of the day". He did a Shatner pause :)

JMK
Jun 18th, 2002, 10:03:11 PM
:lol ALL movies should have a Shatner pause!

I think the worst deliveries come from TPM, by far.
For me, Padme wins it with "Without the viceroy, they will be lost and confused." IMO, that is the most static, wooden recital of a line in any of the SW movies. A close second would be an exchange between Anakin and Padme, when he asks if their shelter is far. Anakin stumbles his way through a pretty simple line: "Sandstorms are very, very dangerous. Come on, I'll take you to my place". His timing on that line is horrendous, I can't understand how they ever decided on that take. :huh

FLMKR4EB
Jun 19th, 2002, 05:37:21 PM
Agreed, The worst lines come from the worst of the Star Wars movies, Phantom Menace.

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2002, 05:45:30 PM
Ric Olié said his lines with such conviction and believability. Shame he wasnt in EP2.

Okay, so I'm the only one who liked him! I DON'T CARE!!! :)

Doc Milo
Jun 19th, 2002, 08:15:33 PM
I know people who have a name for people who state the obvious: They call it "stating an Olie" or something like that.

BUFFJEDI
Jun 19th, 2002, 08:17:36 PM
:lol

CMJ
Jun 19th, 2002, 08:19:18 PM
For my money the worst delivered line of dialogue is in ROTJ.

"You rebel scum!"

Man...that causes a belly laugh everytime I see it. That dude overacted like an SOB on that one. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 19th, 2002, 08:52:21 PM
You do feel he wanted a speech, dont you? :)

JMK
Jun 19th, 2002, 09:41:37 PM
"Stating an Olie" :lol
That's great!
I know you love him Reaper, but c'mon that guy will forever be Del Preston from Wayne's World 2. No ifs, ands or buts about it!

Quadinaros
Jun 20th, 2002, 12:21:54 AM
A few favorites off the top of my head:

Star Wars(All of them)
Godfather I and II
Halloween
Avalon
Glengarry Glen Ross
Psycho
Do The Right Thing
The Wizard Of Oz
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Beauty And The Beast
Princess Bride
The Ice Storm

I could go on and on, but I won't. ;)

Yads
Jun 20th, 2002, 04:22:00 AM
Top 5 for this morning...

1) Dazed and Confused
2) The Godfather Part 2
3) Casablanca
4) Apocalypse Now
5) Blade Runner: Directors Cut (:p @ D23)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 05:04:15 AM
My favoured ones right now

1) LOTR:FOTR
2) Aliens
3) Star Wars 1,II, IV, V, VI
4) Toy Stories
5) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

ReaperFett
Jun 20th, 2002, 06:16:22 AM
"So I had to beat them to death with their own shoes"

:)

ReaperFett
Jun 20th, 2002, 07:37:44 AM
BTW, about the Hobbie line. First, I believe it is "Two fighters against a Star Destroyer?", not "Two fighters? Againts a STAR DESTROYER???"

But also, this is Rogue Squadron! They dont get scared, they just question! :)