PDA

View Full Version : The official you must see movie and discussion thread!

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 15th, 2002, 03:23:55 AM
This thread is of everything not regarding SW for obvious reasons. Here is my list of favorite movies with a brief synopsis.

Long Riders - '80
Director Walter Hill.
A realistic and gritty depiction of the Jesse James/Younger gang. The Minnesota Raid sequence is too incredible to be missed. One of the greatest westerns ever made. Stars Stacy Keach, David Carradine, Keith Carradine, and others.

Scarface - '83
Director Brian De Palma.
A powerful story of a cuban refugee's rise to the top of Miami's cocaine underworld. Marvelous depiction of the underworld in all of it's gratuitous glory. Stars Al Pacino, Michelle Pfeiffer, etc.

Once Upon a Time in America - '84
Director Sergio Leone.
Turn of the century tale, set in New York, of Jewish delinquents, following their lives to adulthood as they become powerful gangsters. IMHO, it is the most underrated mob flick ever and was produced by the legendary italian director Sergio Leone. (The father of spaghetti westerns.) How unfortunate! Stars Robert De Niro, James Woods, etc.

River's Edge - '87
Director Tim Hunter.
A dark and disturbing tale involving aimless teens in Oregon and a murder. Based on a true story. Crispin Glover and Dennis Hopper truly stand-out. Also stars Keanu Reeves.

Name of the Rose - '86
Director Jean-Jacques Annaud.
A murder mystery set in a european monastary during the 13th or 14th century. This movie can not be missed for it's amazing sets, realistic depiction of medievel monastic life, and the plight of human condition in a grim age. Based on Umberto Eco's novel. Stars Sean Connery, Christine Slater. Also Ron Pearlman as a misfit hunchback whom speaks in metaphor and holds many secrets.

Platoon - '86
Director Oliver Stone.
A tale of a young grunt's volunteer tour of duty in the Vietnam War. A powerful movie in which Sheen's character is placed in a moral and physical war between two platoon sergeants. A power struggle that divides the platoon. Pitting the compassionate Elias whom has earned many of the soldier's respect. Against the cold, brutal Barnes whom is feared by them. Tom Berrenger is absolutely riveting in this movie. Also stars Charlie Sheen, Willem Dafoe, etc.

Wallstreet - '87
Director Oliver Stone.
A faustian-like tale of the market and corporate corruption with an underlying moral message. Michael Douglas shines as the greedy Gordon Gecko. Stars Charlie Sheen, Martin Sheen, etc.

Princess Bride - '87
Director Rob Reiner.
A very charming tale of a princess and her knight in shining armor. Mandy Patinkin is a riot as the revenge driven swordsman Inigo Montoya. Stars Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, etc.

Unforgiven - '92
Director Clint Eastwood.
One of the best western's ever produced. A hired gun comes out of retirement to aid a madame and her girls from the brutality of a sheriff and his men. Powerful performances by Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris, and Gene Hackman. IMHO, Hackman's greatest performance yet as the cruel sheriff Little Bill Daggett.

The Usual Suspects - '95
Director Bryan Singer.
Who can ever forget Keyser Soze? Great crime movie with more twists in it than a pretzel. Very original with brilliant delivery! Stars Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Spacey, etc.

Goodfellas - '90
Director Martin Scorsese.
Rising gangsters in New York. Joe Pesci is marvelous as the violent, psychotic mobster, Tommy Devito. Also stars Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, etc.

Heat - '95
Director Michael Mann.
A great robber caper involving a criminal mastermind and the unconventional detective pursuing him. Robert De Niro's MacAuley is very engrossing. Very intense movie. Also stars Val Kilmer, Al Pacino, Tom Sizemore, Jon Voight, etc.

Fellowship of the Ring - '01
Director Peter Jackson.
One word... Tolkien. This movie brought out more praise than criticism. A tremendous task of producing an film epic on Tolkien's famous work. One of the greatest pieces of twentieth century literature containing a staggering depth of vision and imagination. One of the most important fictional works of the last century inspiring an unfathomable legion of others in various mediums. IMHO, Jackson's film captures the mythic essence and beauty of the book and is the best movie ever produced yet in this unfortunately bleak cinematography genre. Stars Elijah Wood, Ian McKellan, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, etc.

ReaperFett
Jun 15th, 2002, 05:47:52 AM
Not seen many of them :)

Master Yoghurt
Jun 15th, 2002, 06:13:07 AM
Not seen many of them either. I concider Platoon, FOTR and Goodfellas as classics, so it would probably be a good idea seeing the rest of them. :)

Sanis Prent
Jun 15th, 2002, 11:13:47 AM
The Razor's Edge is, IMO, the most under-rated movie ever made.

Jedieb
Jun 15th, 2002, 12:29:16 PM
I've seen all of them except Long Riders and Rivers Edge. Those are all good flicks.
"Say hello to my little friend!" :shootin

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 15th, 2002, 01:56:05 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Not seen many of them :)

Every movie on that list is excellent, I guarantee it. These films, IMHO, need to be seen in order to be fully appreciated for their substance and brilliance. And I could be pretty critical on movies. :)

I almost included The Godfather, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, and The Deer Hunter. But weighed them instead against the list I had already compiled and left them off. Found it very difficult to do.

ReaperFett
Jun 15th, 2002, 02:29:24 PM
LOTR was good, nothing more;)

Sanis Prent
Jun 15th, 2002, 11:33:12 PM
I agree. I didn't find anything particuarly amazing about FotR. It was a good movie, and a treat to see...but not really anything that I would put on my top ten.

Manfred
Jun 16th, 2002, 12:56:05 AM
Goodfellas = Greatest movie ever made

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:42:43 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I agree. I didn't find anything particuarly amazing about FotR. It was a good movie, and a treat to see...but not really anything that I would put on my top ten.

Yes, both your views (Sanis and Reaper) are completely understandable. Personally, I included the film in my favorites for it's ambitious vision and tremendous scope that brought the book's grandeur to life. It's F/X are nearly second to none! Concerning the strength of it's acting performances it may be weakest of my favorites. But excellent nonetheless. The movie conveys Middle-Earth so powerfully with it's oscar worthy F/X, props, locations, and costumes.

But this holds true with most fantasy and sci-fi movies. I.e., The Matrix and (another favorite) the SW movies. There is no given actress or actor in either franchise that drives me to think, "Hmmm... I think so and so deserves an oscar, of course not. That is not the intent of the movies neither their respectable directors." The Matrix is very weak in this regard. The genre is for the most part is concerned with fantastic storylines and visions. Stars the limit! :)

Sanis Prent
Jun 16th, 2002, 08:22:47 AM
I've never given a movie any more respect because "Hey, the book was great". If so, then David Lynch's Dune, Dean Koontz's Phantoms, and every Clancy book written and put into movie form (minus netforce) would be on my list.

Same goes for Harry Potter...even if that movie blew rancid goat chum.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 16th, 2002, 01:26:02 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I've never given a movie any more respect because "Hey, the book was great". If so, then David Lynch's Dune, Dean Koontz's Phantoms, and every Clancy book written and put into movie form (minus netforce) would be on my list.

Yes, books made into movies consistantly fail or bomb. But, IMO, FOTR is an exception and feel Peter Jackson succeeded in creating a classic. Bringing the magic of The Shire, Moria, Lothlorian, Rivendell, and Isengard/Orthanc Tower to life. And the actors/actresses did indeed put forth an marvelous performing effort. Actually were required to act (lol). Combine that with a storyline that is well-knit and suffers not a single flaw, loose end, or inconsistancy. It is one of the best productions ever in the fantasy/scifi genre.

Unlike the Matrix. Perhaps due to the script but the movie suffered from _every_ character being cut and dried from the same mold. Any amateur actor could have done just as well. As some of you have noticed, I have an low opinion of that movie. Simply because I had read the cyberpunk books that inspired this movie. The Matrix pales in comparision and did deliver some stunning though not extraordinary F/X.

darth_mcbain
Jun 16th, 2002, 02:48:15 PM
I've probably seen about half of those - but they are all good movies... I personally never really liked The Usual Suspects. I thought it was decent, but I saw it after some friends bragged on it being the greatest thing since Hula Hoops and built it so far up... Good movie, just not the generation-defining, all-time greatest flick ever, as it was hyped to me...

FLMKR4EB
Jun 16th, 2002, 02:55:44 PM
On movie that I don't think anyone's life is complete without seeing is LEON: THE PROFESSIONAL.

Man, why that movie isn't on every best of list boggles my mind. I'm writing an essay on this movies importance, value, and, well every aspect of filmmaking I can think to write about. I'm gonna break it down shot for shot, scene for scene. Luc Besson is at his best here, and although his other films are really good, some even great like NIKITA and 5th Element, this movie showshow damn good a movie can be with excellent writting, perfect shot choices, perfect casting, and perfect directing. Since getting into the world of filmmaking, 2 movies have "blown" my mind. This one, and The Virgin Suicides.

ReaperFett
Jun 16th, 2002, 03:45:31 PM
Léon was great :)