PDA

View Full Version : Was the scene with the Acklay Changed?

darth_mcbain
Jun 14th, 2002, 12:21:02 PM
Found this off of theforce.net

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=swsaga/saga-acklay_front2.jpg

It would seem to indicate that it sustained an injury that it didn't in the movie. In the movie, Obi-Wan uses his lightsaber to take out its claws and then stabs it in the head area. But, in that scene, the Acklay rears up, exposing its gut area - Obi-Wan could have slashed it right there and would have created a battle wound like in the toy.

A wound such as that, though, might have pushed for a stricter rating like PG-13, so I'm wondering if they changed it.

JMK
Jun 14th, 2002, 12:51:13 PM
Odd, I was just going to post a topic about the execution beasts. What does everyone think of them? I like the reek, but I really don't like the other 2. I found them to be too much like a MIB movie, especially the acklay. I would have preferred to see 3 reeks than those creatures.

ReaperFett
Jun 14th, 2002, 12:56:22 PM
I liked them all, the Reek especially :)

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 14th, 2002, 01:48:10 PM
I can see where the Banking Clan guy looked a little more MIB than SW, but I liked the areas beasts. and btw, Rick Baker designed the original Cantina aliens and some MIB characters, so I'm okay with them all being somewhat alike.

I thought the Nexu was one of the coolest beasts ever in Star Wars. I'm so happy Jinn Fizz got me one, and I really want to see it. :)

darth_mcbain
Jun 14th, 2002, 02:36:34 PM
I thought the Reek and the Nexu were totally cool. The Acklay was pretty neat too, but I didn't think as cool as the other two.

JMK
Jun 14th, 2002, 05:05:55 PM
Really? Like I said, I thought the Acklay was totally MIB, and I found the Nexu's face to be too much like the cat in Alice in Wonderland. But again, it doesn't change my enjoyment of the movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2002, 01:08:37 AM
I really liked the Acklay, I think it looks closer to some of the mosters in the old Harrhausen movies like Jason and the Argonauts (actually they all do in a way) I think it looks like the Hydra in a way.

Doc Milo
Jun 15th, 2002, 01:36:38 AM
The Acklay looks a lot like one of the monsters in the video game Final Fantasy X.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2002, 12:32:38 PM
Thats interesting I wonder if anybody noticed that creature, I still think though that Lucas and his people were more inspired by Haruhausen film that Reek, for example looked like one of the creatures from one of those Sinbad movies.

Jedieb
Jun 15th, 2002, 09:23:13 PM
While the Nexu was my least favorite of the 3 beast in the movie, it's my favorite toy of the beasts. It's close to a perfect scale and looks great. You can even bend the tail around other figures and hold them. Plus it's got sound. I haven't gotten an Acklay yet, but that looks awesome as well.

It would seem to indicate that it sustained an injury that it didn't in the movie. In the movie, Obi-Wan uses his lightsaber to take out its claws and then stabs it in the head area. But, in that scene, the Acklay rears up, exposing its gut area - Obi-Wan could have slashed it right there and would have created a battle wound like in the toy.

When the design process on the Acklay began it's more than likely that the Acklay death scene was no where near complete. The whole design and production of that figure had to start around 12-18 months before the release of the toy. At that point, all Hasbro had to work with were stills and drawings or maybe a certain draft of the script, not actual footage. So they probably had to fill in the blanks. Plus, if anything was changed during the course of filming it was WAY to late for Hasbro to keep up with most of those changes. That's why you get a Dooku with a Hologram, an Orn Free Taa figure figure, and a 3PO with removable coverings. Orn Free Taa was set to have a few lines, but they got cut or maybe never filmed, but the figure was already in the works so that's why he's out.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 15th, 2002, 09:40:06 PM
I was wondering about the 3P0 thing I had read that Padme was suppose to finish him so I guess that is why the figure is that way. And that senator you mentioned, you see him briefly in the movie right? And one thing any word if there will be a Bail Organa figure?

JMK
Jun 15th, 2002, 10:00:11 PM
I think they changed Padme finishing 3P0 to Shmi. At least its evident that Padme could not have finished him since he's already complete when they go back to Tatooine.