PDA

View Full Version : Touchstone is getting desperate.

Darth23
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:46:14 PM
At Yahoo Movies I clicked on a Reign of Fire ad and it took me to the Bad Company website.

:p

JonathanLB
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:58:38 PM
That's pretty damn funny! LOL. Yikes...

Reign of Fire looks good, but I cannot help but think it looks a bit corny too. I hate to say that because it is kind of a neat looking film, and I really like Christian Bale (American Psycho!!! One of my favorite films of all time and his performance in that is one of the best ever, I believe), but the movie is going to have to do a lot to raise itself above 3 stars probably. I'm thinking it looks good but it'll have a lot of flaws, hope I'm wrong though and maybe it turns out even better.

I really liked Bad Company, don't let the lousy box office performance deter you. It was well worth seeing...

It is a bomb, though, BOMBS AWAY! First bomb of the summer. lol.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:31:13 AM
I so want to see Reign of Fire, I have had this thing for dragons and the poster just looks so cool, Matthew McConaughey looks so weird in it with a bald ahead. The movie to me looks like a cross between Dragonslayer and Escape from New York, it should be interes

Lochabre
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:45:34 AM
Is Marcus

I rather like the look of Reign of Fire. It will be a bit of a check your brain at the door movie, But it does look like it has real potential. Which is weird, you wouldnt think it does. It seems there is a lack of logic in places, but the dragons seen look authentic and I think it could be a real sleeper. Or it will disappear without a trace.

I'll go out on alimb and say it's a potential sleeper hit, much like Fast and The Furious

Threepio
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:42:12 AM
I want to see it sooo bad! Matthew McConahay (can't spell your name, sorry Matt!) and Christian Bale (Newsies! Little Women! *dreamy sigh*) getting sweaty and dirty and fighting dragons in London!?

HOW awesome is this?! I dunno, I *might* like it more than AotC...

...no wait! What am I saying!? ^_^; Maybe second to AotC then. :p

JonathanLB
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:46:08 AM
You haven't seen Christian Bale until you've seen American Psycho.

It's tragic that not many people have seen such a GREAT movie. It's one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, in a sick way, and it's just so classic. I love it. I could have watched that 10 times in theaters easily.

I've seen it a lot on DVD though... My best friend and I are nuts over that movie, it's like our tradition to watch it every so often.

Threepio
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:50:51 AM
Yeah I thought about seeing it just because he was in it.

And then I thought...Naaahh.....

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 13th, 2002, 02:26:34 AM
Reign of Fire looks like it is going to an exciting movie. I think the film will provide alot of eyecandy for the audience and may prove to be a sleeper. A hit? Not likely but RoF does remind me of Independance Day but without all the hype. A shallow piece with great F/X. I think it will do modestly at the theatres unless it is riding on the momentum of the recent Fellowship of the Rings. I look forward to it and hope the movie creates a greater demand for fantasy films.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2002, 02:52:04 AM
Well Spider-Man seems to be whetting people's appetites for comic book movies. Superman, Batman, then X-Men and now Spiderman (there were more, I know. The Phantom, etc.) But it seems like we'll have TONS more coming soon.

The Hulk, Daredevil..Spiderman 2-?? Lots coming, see?

I think its fair to say that if RoF has a decent showing, and doesn't bomb, then we'll see more like films coming. I would love to see a greater demand for fantasy films. Its so hard to find GOOD ones though. I'll always like Willow, of course. Dungeons and Dragons...sucked. If Reign of Fire is any good I think it will do decently.

Aaaahhhh more fantasy films! I love them! I cannot wait for TTT...Helms Deep on the big screen, how UTTERLY AWESOME is that?!?!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 03:05:24 AM
"Saruman your staff is broken!"

I soooo want to see that

JonathanLB
Jun 13th, 2002, 03:48:53 AM
"Dungeons and Dragons...sucked."

Uhh, no kidding. Oh my god that movie was horrible. Some of the worst acting I have ever seen in any movie. The effects were almost equally HORRIBLE. It was surely one of the worst films ever made. I don't know why they bothered.

My friends and I were laughing through the movie and we actually wanted to see it. We didn't go there to make fun of it, at least I didn't, and we just couldn't help but laugh at its idiocy.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 13th, 2002, 06:40:21 AM
Lilaena and Marcus are just my people... I swear it. Fantasy is my favorite genre and that is why I love SW because despite it's science-fiction setting it is closer related to fantasy. Dungeons and Dragons sucked a big egg. With such an old franchise such AD&D, I am in shock over the fact they produced that crap!!! What were they thinking?

My favorite fantasy movies of all time are: Willow, Fellowship of the Ring, The Princess Bride, and Conan the Barbarian. Yes, Conan the Barbarian because it was an excellent movie IMHO! It was everything I envisioned a D&D movie should be. However please bear in mind, the second movie of this franchise was a complete utter failure. As much as I love Conan the Barbarian, I also hate The Destroyer all the more. Other mentionables is Dragonslayer, Ladyhawke, and Excalibur.

Rankings
1. Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Princess Bride
3. Conan the Barbarian
4. Willow
5. Dragonslayer
6. Excalibur

I agree with you, Lilaena! Presently there is a big demand to produce movies of comic book heroes. So there is hope!

TTT is going to be awesome... Treebeard and the Ents, Gollum, Helm's Deep, and Saruman defeated and being humbled by Gandalf the White .

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:16:05 AM
Helm's Deep...... oh man that could be the scene of the year. I dont see how TTT will have PG13 rating and I hope they dont even try to obtain it, cause then Helm's Deep could be soooo intense.

I'm aware that Jackson has once again changed the story, which when I saw what he's rumoured to have done, scared me. But then again, I was scared when I heard what he was doing with FOTR and I was convinced it would have to suck. So this time I'm going to have faith. It's also rumoured New Line execs have seen an earlyu cut and think it's already better than FOTR. No way... no way. I really have to turn down my expectations, like I did with FOTR and go in thinking it just has to suck.... but how can I? We know it's going to look gorgeous and there is goign to be some real WTF bits. Theodin's recital as he is armed sends chills down the spine and Eowyn looks *perfect*.

There's just so much that can go so badly wrong..... but the small preview showed that already sooo much has been done right. Expectations are going to be soooo damn high by the time December comes around, it's going to take such an extraordinary movie to meet them.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:41:06 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn

There's just so much that can go so badly wrong..... but the small preview showed that already sooo much has been done right. Expectations are going to be soooo damn high by the time December comes around, it's going to take such an extraordinary movie to meet them.

I agree! As far as FOTR is concerned, Jackson's deviations were not that bad considering he was not making a six hour movie. However, this may sound picky, but I wish he would have stuck with the book version of Aragorn already possessing the broken Narsil with a jagged point... ala like a short sword/long dagger. Jackson's version of the events at Orthanc set up Gandalf's second confrontation with Saruman beautifully though not faithful to Tolkien.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:55:33 AM
They only thing I wish was different was Galadriel's spaz out. I know it's book accurate, but it doesnt quite work to me. I like Arwen's character being included more, as parts are taken from the Appendix, Aragorn and Arwen directly. Besides, Arwen aint bad on the eyes, is she?

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:28:52 AM
They only thing I wish was different was Galadriel's spaz out. I know it's book accurate, but it doesnt quite work to me. I like Arwen's character being included more, as parts are taken from the Appendix, Aragorn and Arwen directly. Besides, Arwen aint bad on the eyes, is she?

No, she ain't bad at all! Also what is missing is Tom Bombadil, the whole episode concerning the barrowland wight, and the sojourning band of elves led by Glorfindel. Arwen was written in portions of the movie in Glorfindel's absence. And I commend Jackson's effort especially since he had limited reel time. Others, such as longterm Tolkien traditionalists, are more critical and I can sympathize with their viewpoints. But I loved movie especially since the genre is plagued with complete and utter garbage. Cheers!

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:58:51 AM
She looks alright

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:24:58 PM
I had a coherent thought to put in here, but I got distracted by thoughts of TTT, and now I'm reduced to a babbling idiot. Helm's Deep Helm's Deep! Ents! Merry and Pippin! AAAAHHHHH! I can't wait. Its so not fair. :cry

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:17:04 PM
I'm a bbbling idiot waiting with baited breath as well for TTT

I had a look through the Reign of Fire web site - Interesting. Really, all it's promising to be is a silly popcorn flick with some good eye candy. I dunno, has the scent that it could be something a bit more. I have a good feeling about it

ReaperFett
Jun 13th, 2002, 07:22:07 PM
I dont class Matt McConahey as eye candy :)

It looks to me like one of those films where all the good stuff is in the trailer. We'll see :)

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 13th, 2002, 08:40:35 PM
They only thing I wish was different was Galadriel's spaz out. I know it's book accurate, but it doesnt quite work to me.

I wanted to comment on this on my last post but ran out of time IRL. Yes, that scene was abit over-the-top and lame. I think they should just used the same F/X of Bilbo's transformation.

Get that 'Ewwwww... look at how ugly and wicked Galadriel became' thing going. Would have been much more effective.

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Jun 13th, 2002, 11:19:52 PM
I liked it. Mneh! (sorry, LD here still..dang...another name!)

Bilbo's transformation was awesome...even freaked me out and I KNEW it was coming.

As to Matt not being eye candy..thats okay Fett, I'll enjoy him if you won't. :p

ReaperFett
Jun 14th, 2002, 07:13:46 AM
Okay, thanks for that :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 14th, 2002, 01:20:27 PM
You're welcome. I'm here to help. ;)