PDA

View Full Version : Leave of Absence

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:58:38 PM
Well guys tommorrow I fly back to the great state of Texas. A good friend of mine is getting married, and I got roped into being the Best Man. This is the first wedding I will have actually been IN. I'm rather nervous about "the toast"(I have no doubt I can come up with something poignant, but public speaking is not my forte).

I might hop on in the morning before I take off but I was just letting yall have a heads up. I''m supposed to be back Monday morning, so perhaps by that afternoon I'll have rejoined the madness. :) Oh by the way Carr, would you like me to email you my predictions about the BO this weekend?

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:02:38 PM
Enjoy CMJ, and keep your hands off the bride! ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:03:35 PM
lol, be good:)

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:03:55 PM
LOL, the Maid of Honor is open though, right? ;)

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:08:30 PM
Mind you CMJ, if she's cute and redheaded, she's fair game. It'll serve your friend right for doing that to you! :lol

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:10:50 PM
LOL yeah no kdding. I WISH he could cover some of my plane fare. Oh well, I'm not gonna bitch, 'cause it's gonna be good to see some of my buddies. :)

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:18:09 PM
My buddy is getting married in Australia this christmas, and he's invited us all down there. I WISH he'd pay some of the fare for that!

Admiral Lebron
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:23:01 PM
Toasts are fun. Make it short and to the point.

Lady Vader
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:27:21 PM
Have fun, CMJ. We'll see ya when you get back. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:29:37 PM
Ooooooh, speech. I can help you. You know Steve Buscemi in the Wedding Singer? Well........

:)

Jedieb
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:48:15 PM
I've been in a couple of weddings and I was a best man once. The toast can be nerve racking, but you'll do fine CMJ. Please take detailed notes of the bachelor party. Don't forget to make your move on the Maid of Honor. Do your best to ruin her for all other men! Have fun.:D

Threepio
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:43:23 PM
:lol Have a great trip Jindra-man, and be safe!

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:44:48 PM
Okay so far I have ....toast from "Wedding Singer"...and "take notes from the bachelor party". Geez, I knew I could count on you guys. ;)

Reaper...actually I really like the toast from "Four Weddings and a Funeral"...that was a classic.. :)

Eb, if the bachelor party is anything special, I'll write a tell-all post. ;)

JonathanLB
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:46:06 PM
Have fun CMJ, see you soon...

I'll be in Hawaii Saturday, so I'll also probably be taking a leave of absence. I don't think I'll post during that time but if I am on a few times, sure. It's just not going to be an Internet vacation, lol, i.e. I won't be online that much.

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:56:46 PM
CMJ, if you're going to post a tell-all, won't the filters here ruin everything?

I second what Jedieb said: "Don't forget to make your move on the Maid of Honor. Do your best to ruin her for all other men!"

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:58:40 PM
LOL, JMK...a talented writer can describe stuff to where the filters won't detect anything. ;)

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:01:49 PM
Farewell CMJ and Good luck! ;)

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:03:09 PM
Hey there you go CMJ, make a screenplay of the bachelor party!

ReaperFett
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:04:17 PM
NO! It might be like Very Bad Things! All 5 minutes I saw of that were awful!

:)

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:05:35 PM
I believe that concept has been done several times before...one even using that exact name. ;)

If anything good happens, I'll see what I can use though.

Mwhahahahahahahahahahahaha

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:08:25 PM
Have fun CMJ and have safe trip. Don't do anything I wouldn't do.

CMJ
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:21:59 PM
Okay guys, the airport awaits. Most likely I won't have time to post while I'm in Denton, but if I do somehow, I'll try and drop you guys an update. :)

"The Force will be with you, always."

BUFFJEDI
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:48:49 PM
G/L

CMJ
Jun 16th, 2002, 11:59:16 PM
Okay well the trip is basically over. I'll be leaving or the airport in about 2 hours(7AM flight...GUH!).

So here's the short version....

I arrived at DFW airport about 10PM CST on Thursday. The plane ride was okay I suppose(I HATE flying though). Anyways, I got driven into town by my ex-girlfriend, who wanted to see me. In the nearly 8 months since I'd seen her, she had gained about 15 pounds, so I was a bit happy(like any true bastard, I had the wish of once the ex breaks up with me, her appearance goes to hell). ;) We still had a bit of a "spark" I guess, but whatever, it's over.

It was GREAT seeing my "town". My face was pressed up against my window the whole drive from the airport. Anyways, I arrived at the groom's house at 11ish. I ended up talking to Mark(the groom) and his bride-to-be quite late into the night. It was alot of fun actually. I fell asleep on his couch sometime after 2:30.

Friday involved ENDLESS meeting of the families of both Mark AND Amanda. Of course their was the rehearsal which went fine. Here I learned, I was gonna be required to read a love poem Mark had written(thankfully the Maid of Honor was gonna have to do likewise with something Amanda had written). I was rather shocked and nervous. But...what could i do...tell him I wouldn't do it? I'm nicer than that. :) Hmmm nothing major of consequence happened at the dinner which brings us to....

THE BIG DAY!

Saturday I had to calm Amanda & Mark down at different times throughout the morning and early afternoon. All the while I was trying to stay calm as I was FREAKING out over my "performance" of Mark's poetry(not to mention trying to figure out what I was gonna say for my toast at the reception). Man...can I say I think I look rather pitiful in a tux? Anyways, the ceremony went off without a hitch(I performed the poem well enough, and I didn't drop OR lose the rings or anything that moronic). Afterwards my toast was universally praised at the reception...all in all I was almost a big of hit as the newlyweds(Amanda's mom told me I was "too cute, not to succeed in Hollywood" whatever the hell that means). Anyways that's about it...

And yes...that WAS the SHORT version. ;)

JMK
Jun 17th, 2002, 07:18:21 AM
Yeah, but where are the sordid details? :lol

darth_mcbain
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:30:23 PM
I'll be taking my own leave of absence for a while - heading back to NY to visit the folks... I'm also hoping to head over to the Brooklyn museum - they have a SW exhibit (I hope it is still there) - should be pretty fun. Doc, looks like I'll probably be pretty booked up with plans and such, but who knows - maybe we can hook up and catch AOTC over at the digital theater in Farmingdale or something...

Anyway, see y'all in a week or so...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:29:51 PM
Okay, I hope you have a great time, I am not sure if that exhibit is still there or not I think it was suppose to close some time this summer but I really don't know.

Mu Satach
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:58:07 PM
have fun at the wedding!!!

And yes... we need a full write up of the festivities. :D