PDA

View Full Version : An ehtical question for the Jedi...

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:26:45 PM
Alright, I was gonna start getting some more capital for my char, by an odd way, and I was wondering if this would be within the rules...

Want I want to do is have Satine send out the Tolaroa--his personal warship--out and attack pirate craft. Now I would just disable the ship, and WOULD give back the money in the ship, but I would keep and then sell the ships I got. Before that though, I'd turn the pirates in to the nearest authorities. :) I think it would be poetic justice, but I was curious what others would think of it. :)

AmazonBabe
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:07:01 PM
Well, I suppose that'd be along the lines of keeping the peace in the galaxy. But that's more like police work. Somehow, i dont really see a Jedi doing that, but I guess it's possible... ?

Sejah Haversh
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:11:56 PM
Well, wouldn't it be you attacking them to maintain peace? I somehow don't think Machiavelli would approve of that form of justice.

And, unless that ship is stolen property allready, wouldn't you be stealing form the pirates, some of whom might have worked very hard to build up enough money to purchase it honestly in the first place?

I'm not sure about this form of moneymaking, because you have to be the one causign the conflict, and as far as I know, that's not the Jedi way.

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:42:38 PM
I was seeing it as proactive defense. :) Yes, I know, I'm a Kyp-style Jedi.

And as for the ships...Most probably bought it out of the money they stole. At least, that was my take on it. :)

Sejah Haversh
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:52:58 PM
Well, I never said how they worked hard to make their money. but there might still be a few otu there who worked summers raking asteroid feilds for everyone on their block...

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:17:13 PM
I would give a downright "No" to that. My reason is because no matter how much how you would like to mask your actions under a veil of false good intent. Your actions are carried out with a selfish goal in mind, a Jedi does not maintain peace for a pay cheque - it is a selfless way of life, devoted to the service and protecting of the innocent.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:24:39 PM
Yeah! And, um, yeah! besides, you never know when the pirate you're abotu to attack might be an honest smuggler, like Han Solo.

Way to go, Alpha, you youst prevented Luke from getting to wherever he went and becoming a Jedi, allowing the Empire to flourish and cause more fear and oppression. How could you?

Sorry, just had to give you a hard time.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:38:06 PM
I think Alpha is really mad at Tirsa which is why he was thinking of doing this to begin with :p ;) :lol

I am with Loki when I read you are keeping the money from selling the ships. Big no no.

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:53:20 PM
K. I was just curious and decided to throw the idea around. not a realy big deal here. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:41:47 PM
catches idea and tosses it back to Alpha!

"Let's Blitz!"

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:28:16 PM
Actuaally, I disagree. IF This is really a pirate, Marcus would have no problem with selling the ship. But I dont think he would keep the money. It would go to the victims of the criminal.

And he would have no problem with an attack, but he would not go out of his way unless they have done something very bad first. It certainly would not be personal and it would be done to make sure thier wrongdoing is stopped.

All comes down to motive really.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:03:41 PM
Exactly and he had intentions of keeping the money. You said Marcus wouldn't. Therefore his actions aren't for personal gain, overall a Jedi's action must be selfless, not self-rewarding.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:10:49 PM
I agree with that. If the money was given to the victims that is one thing..but a Jedi to keep it for himself..a BIG NO NO!

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:32:18 AM
Sage would be all for this... but he's not exactly the most code following Jedi... of course, you'd have to give the profits to the authorites or something.

Why don't you just change your idea? Say that pirates are raiding some NRSF shipyards. You then launch a mission to get the ships back. Then you can turn the NR ships they stole and the criminals into the NRSF.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:23:27 AM
Who wouldbe nuts enough to raid a NRSF base?????

Oriadin
Jun 13th, 2002, 02:00:43 AM
As it stands I dont think im with the raid on the pirates. For the moment they arent doing anything. Therefore its an attack. An attack with defense in mind but an attack none the less. If that starts to happen we get a dictatorship. We put all the possible criminals out of action before they commit the crime. What if the pirates decided to go straight? The chances are they wouldnt but you never know. In order to attack the pirate ship its my opinion they should be doing something to warrant it. Just my thoughts. Oh, and give the money away!

Alpha
Jun 13th, 2002, 08:37:09 AM
Actually I'd give the money they had on the ships back to the victims. I said that in my first post. Just the ship is what I'd keep. :)

*throws idea back at Dale*

You have no chance against me in Blitz...

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 13th, 2002, 08:29:06 PM
Keeping the ships is bad too

:: throws idea at Alpha using the Jecht shot ::

Yeah your probably right :p

Alpha
Jun 14th, 2002, 08:36:34 PM
*blocks, and Sphere Shoots back

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 16th, 2002, 06:25:59 PM
:: catches and poison tackles Satine ::

:D