PDA

View Full Version : 1.655 Tuesday...

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:26:05 PM
Up about 12% from yesterday. Not sure the exact drop from last Tuesday.

My rough calculation was about 27-28%.

JonathanLB
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:06:13 PM
*bows* thank you, that was all me! :)

I saw AOTC 4 times Tuesday, you know that I made that extra $150,000 difference. Somehow. ;)

Haha, that's so cool. I knew Tuesday would be higher because of my Force abilities :D

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:43:46 PM
LOL, it's all about you Jonathan. :p

AOTC seems to have really stabalized. I'm kind of worried with 3 films opening this weekend. How many theatres are we losing...has anyone heard?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:48:23 PM
I think all holdovers could well be hit hard.

CMJ
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:51:05 PM
As do I Marcus...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:51:15 PM
That was a good increase, and I think AOTC actually will probably do the best of the older films in terms of drop, hopefull it will only drop another 30% and it will stay about 10 million.

JMK
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:58:14 PM
One more weekend in the double digits would be nice...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:01:50 PM
It also went up more than SM (though only 1% more) that is a good thing, if it goes up again for today it will pass 260 pushing it pass The Grinch, either way it should pass that and Jaws by Thursday and then pass Shrek over the weekend.

JonathanLB
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:55:58 PM
I think we should look for about $8.8 to $9.5 million this weekend though, as much as I really, really want to see $10 million, I just don't know... We are obviously losing a lot of theaters this weekend. Probably 400 or so at least. They are not contractually obligated to play it now and if I were a theater that had only 4 screens like Broadway downtown, you are dang right I'd take AOTC off. It won't be in the top 4 this weekend, so I would have to replace it with something else. It's nothing personal, just business, and that's how theaters see it. They cannot be expected to think, "But gee it is Star Wars! Let's keep it.. just... because... it's such a great movie!" Uhh, no. If you run a business on emotion like that instead of fact and reason, you're bound to have problems.

If I have four screens, I'm getting 3 of the new releases this week to be honest, even though normally that is not what I'd do (generally you could pick just 2 or even 1), these three films are going to do well at least. I can count on Scooby Doo probably doing well with family audiences, then the teen males and adult males are going to want to see both The Bourne Identity and Windtalkers. Besides those, Sum of All Fears was #1 for two weeks, so I decide to keep that film also. I was playing AOTC, Sum of All Fears, Bad Company ("my mistake," I'd say as a theater owner), and Insomnia (decided to keep it over Ya-Ya, as many smaller theaters did actually, thus the Ya-Ya smaller theater count opening weekend). So basically I'm pushing all of my films out except Sum of All Fears.

That's how I'd think of it as a theater owner, so I imagine that AOTC is losing 400 to 600 theaters. :(

Hopefully it can hold up well regardless. A 35% decline would be fine, even good.