PDA

View Full Version : I have a roleplaying question.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:42:45 AM
Has any Jedi attempted to be more of a seer type Jedi? By this, I mean having an affinity with forseeing the future?

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:50:19 AM
I don't think so....I offer that to my Padawans, though I cannot teach it myself. Verse offered it to me, but I wasn't interested, then anyway. I wouldn't mind now! :) It's too bad there's no one to teach it....

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:38:00 AM
Thanatos was being taught to be one by myself. I am not a seer though. Sence I have made verse so stronge a mentalist, I made it so he can't see more that a few seconds in the future.

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:18:59 AM
Leia is attuned in the force and can forsee some problems ahead , but doesn't see the total outcome of the future. So..NO she is not a seer.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:34:42 AM
I am like Verse, a strong Mentalist. Now that Thanatos is dead...what good does it do us?? :(

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:36:04 AM
Now that Thanatos is dead...what good does it do us??

Oops? >_<

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:36:50 AM
I have made Navaria's best ability is in healing and mentalist abilties. I haven't played up that she can see the future all too much. Only a few times when to determine an outcome of something... like Marcus taking Xazor out on that quest.

She does have the potential tho, just not sure if she is going in that direction

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:55:36 AM
:: Mutters why didnt Helenias ask him this question ::

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:57:58 AM
:lol :lol :lol @ Marcus!!

Yeah, Das, why didn't you think of this!??? ;) :lol You should make an RP with clones or something now... ;) :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:59:28 AM
Not more clones!!!!!

Attack of the SWForums clones

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:00:10 AM
:lol :lol :lol

Yes, more clones!! I thought Than was rather...hot.... ;) :D :D :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:01:45 AM
:: Mind explodes ::

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:02:00 AM
To be a seer would be very interesting, although as far as fair play is concerned and the amount one would have to regulate use of this ability would be very delicate issues on a roleplaying forum. It would be difficult to pull off well, but when done, it would be excellent.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:11:54 AM
Well, I'm guessing a bit, but I think she's basically doing what Arwen in LOTR can do - She has an ability called farsight that allows her to see distant places and also beings that are close to her, no matter the distance. It also includes the ability to see the future of what will happen with the object of that farsight. That part is a straight and blatant rip from Tolkein.

I think she then goes somewhat further and turns it into a fairly good foreshadowing sense, so she can see very accuratly in the future.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:20:50 AM
:lol I can feel/see what happens to people close to me in far away places...no matter the distance. That has always been a part of Xazor, but she cannot see the future. She knows when like, Verse is is trouble or something...like instinct or something. The life bond thingi goes a whole lot further with you and me, Mark...but I am no seer. :lol *holds up sign that reads, "Seers for sale!" :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:40:11 AM
:: Puts foot on cattle rails::

Well, them be a good heard of Steers you have for sale young lady....

Opps SEERS! My bad! :p

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:51:43 AM
Maybe Dasquian could learn a little about being a seer. It'd be kind of interesting ... a person from the past seeing into the future. Or something.

^_^;

Sanis Prent
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:57:24 AM
Anbira has limited abilities as a seer, though nothing strong enough to accurately fortell anything.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:31:26 AM
Yeah, he can guess just as good as any weatherman, but as far as being accurate...he's about as accurate as a banthas behind in a hurricane!!! :D Just kidding, just kidding.... :lol :lol :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:40:42 AM
:: Looks out window::

A bantha flew past. I predict a hurricane

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:48:45 AM
We should make a serperate topic dealing with our char's Force abilities.

BTW: We don't have an Elementist as well. When I get back from booty camp I must make one.....

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:56:51 AM
No, I have picked up the Elementist stuff as well, and I am training one of my Padawans as one! :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:15:48 PM
BTW: We don't have an Elementist as well

We do. I just havent touched those powers for nearly two years.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:17:06 PM
BTW: We don't have an Elementist as well

Hello?? I just said that I was too!! :D So there is two of us...and one on the way then!! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:23:49 PM
I also have the power of cookware, body flatulance, Strage cartoon companies, Power over pants and undies, and also horrific songs banned in 95% of the Galaxy.

Oh and Kittens.

I just re-read what I just wrote. I am starting to wonder if sanity ever possessed me at any poiunt in my life

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:44:22 PM
Rhetorical question, eh? :D

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:02:00 PM
That is an understatment

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:09:09 PM
A very large understatement..... *I clipped my undies this morning so it wouldn't hurt so bad when I got the Force Wedgie today....* :D :lol

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:19:48 PM
I just don't wear underwear.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:21:19 PM
*Danya overhears and raises a brow to that*

Really??! Hmm......*one ticket to the Carolina's please* :lol :lol :lol ;)

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:31:22 PM
Gives a whole new meaning to "Happy Dance."

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 02:02:38 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Ryla Relvinian
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:08:50 PM
Ya know, when I started reading this topic, I was all set to reply. But now... I'm just stunned. :huh :huh :huh :huh

AmazonBabe
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:05:04 PM
AB has a special ability for healing and control of plant life and it's surroundings. She has a mastery control of general Jedi abilites, but as to seeing definite future happenings, nuh-huh. She may see snipets in dreams, and even then they're fuzzy, but that's about it. It's more of a feeling or sense than actual pictures for her.

If that even made sense. O_o

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:48:55 PM
Ok..suppose my turn.

As stated Leia is attuned in the force and can somewhat see into the future..but not every little detail. She can pretty much judge danger and all that.

Elementist...she does use the elements. Wind, rain etc. The element move Leia is known for is creating a cyclonic wind funnel. Very much like a tornado. Maybe Leia's nickname should be: "Storm" :lol

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 05:15:36 PM
And mine should be "Ice" because I created the original move.....and the one I am known for, the "Ice Cube"... :D

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:41:09 PM
:: realizes that she does have a Jedi that is a seer ::

:D

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:08:45 PM
Nav...I would say you and Yog are our seer jedi here :D

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:45:41 PM
I said that Nav has the potential for being a seer... ;) She has some abilities but nothing close to Yog.

I was talking about something else :D

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:58:26 PM
Paris?

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 13th, 2002, 08:27:47 PM
No, I don't play Paris :lol

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 17th, 2002, 03:19:24 AM
Hmmm. I serious thread got hijaacked halfway in the middle. I shall have words with the hijacker.

What my idea was is to be very accurate in foretelling in the shortterm, to see precisely what was to occur in the secnds before the event happened. I was thinking of a way I could use this, like a second sight. I also did want to be able to foretell the medium to long term future with a very high accuracy, but anything I say would be laced with other images that woud confuse what I see - I would see the 'motion' of the future. I would be able to Oversee someone I wished, to see what they are doing in the here and now. The precondition would be that I would have to have met them for it to be truly accurate. Beings or objects I have not met would have uncertainties.

The reasn O asked if anyone else had done this, was that I was wondering how it was roleplayed. What I think is that the short term would make illusions hard to do against myself as well as knowing what a opponent would do a few steps in the future. That I believe could lead to a God Mode accusation. Yes, I know that a Jedi can sense the future one step ahead, I wanted to go a touch further and make it my main Force ability.

I think however, foreseeing abilities are more for a Jedi that does not fight much. A true seer, like a true healer would be kept away from a fight as their abilities would make them a treasured resource. I could well imagine the Council telling myself to forget about the Warrior arts and concentrate on the foretelling abilities.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 17th, 2002, 08:17:34 AM
I love this idea and have had a thought about it. Here's how I would roleplay a seer:

To a roleplay a seer, I think it would be fundamental to be on sound OOC terms with the people you are roleplaying with. If I were a seer, the scenrio, relationship with the target and time gap would be very important factors (on top of the individuals ability with the Force) which decide how well the seer can predict the future in each instance.

If the seer starts a roleplay with a scripted end, then they can predict future events within and maybe even outside of the roleplay at their own discretion. However for enjoyment purposes I would advise that certain moments of insight are clouded and uncertain so that the seer can give a vague warning or piece of advice to point participating roleplayers in the right direction. For important character developments, for this proper discussion with the roleplayer involved is vital, then I would suggest the seer's role be more like that of the Oracle from The Matrix.

If in combat or meeting a curious character for the first time, the roleplayer should inform the participating roleplayer that he/she is a seer and therefore some cooperation is required with regards to what exactly he or she will be able to foresee. For example, with the permission of the participating roleplayer, the seer may be able to sense pretense in the persons actions or deception in their words. Again, what exactly is unveiled will be at the targets discretion.

When in combat, the seer shouldn't be able to foresee each action their opponent is about to take but rather through cooperating with a person over AIM and whatnot, they could decide when in the confrontation would it be most entertaining and effective to have a moment of insight. For example: Helenias is engaged in a lightsaber battle with a Sith Lord, but little does she know that his apprentice is some two-hundred yards away and from the window of a building, he is in collusion with his master to snipe Helenias when she is getting the upperhand in the fight. But aa brief vision warns her to dive down and instead, the Sith Lord is shot through the leg. She then goes off in search of the mysterious sniper. I think that kind of thing would be very effective.

But I also think that brief moments of insight should come at a price, a brief vision should stun the Jedi for a brief instant which could render them defenseless in comprimising situations. The ability to control such visions would be a good way to develop their character.

As for long term seeing, I think it is impossible to accurately predict the future and you have the right idea with this. Know OOC what will take place, but for the benefit of the roleplay cloud it with other visions and images so that you are uncertain of what the future could hold exactly.

Then there's the overseeing someone in the present. Well I think the major factor in this would definately be the relationship you have with the person. For example, with Marcus or Xazor, the visions and images would be very clear whereas with someone less familiar to you, the vision would be clouded a little. But I think a seer shouldn't be able to oversee someone they have never met before unless someone close to them has met them. For example, if Helenias had never met Palpatine but Marcus had, then she would be able to see clouded and juxtaposed images. I touwld then be up to her to piece the jigsaw together.

The main key to this power is moderation and modification. Don't overdo it, use it fairly and within the agreement of those whom you are roleplaying with and allow yourself to modify the difficult of seeing certain things: like I said earlier, relationship with the target, your current state of mind, how much time you spend to foresee, etc.

But one thing is for certain, if a person is roleplaying a seer, I would say that those who agree to roleplay with them have an obligation to reveal certain things about their character upto the extent with which they feel comfortable when required. The roleplaying of the seer must be done fairly above and I have no doubt that Helenias has the ability to do this.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 26th, 2002, 07:49:18 AM
Has anyone actually bothered reading that?

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 26th, 2002, 07:53:17 AM
Yes I have and I have thought about what you have written. I apologise if I have not acknowledged, but what you wrote will influence what I do - I believe it is influencing my actions already. I will now state my appreciation for your post and your willingness to share your ideas

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 26th, 2002, 07:56:15 AM
Ok, no problem. Didn't want to think that my help was going to waste.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 26th, 2002, 08:29:30 AM
It's not. I will always listen to good suggestions and to those willing to offer them. Again, my thanks

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2002, 07:46:02 AM
:: Takes notes::

I wonder how you would go about teaching this?