PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Actual: $14.011M

JonathanLB
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:37:44 PM
The weekend actual was a bit higher than the prediction at least, we cleared $14M, which was what I was hoping would happen at least.

Much, much better staying power this weekend. It's like night and day. I just hope it can continue to hold fairly well here.

CMJ
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:40:17 PM
Damn Jon I was gonna post the top 5. ;) For the most part all the films were a touch above their projections.

JonathanLB
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:45:39 PM
Yeah as I said, they were underpredicting for sports events which was a little bit stupid, but I guess on Saturday the sports did make a difference.

I find it VERY hard to believe that the reason Ya-Ya didn't do as well Saturday is purely because there were so many sports. GET REAL, lol. Girls do not watch boxing very much, not to be sexist, but it's a total testosterone type of thing, haha. Then NHL hockey, yeah there are plenty of girl fans, but I'm not so sure that would make any sizeable difference in the people who went out to movie theaters.

The Friday to Saturday numbers for Ya-Ya left a lot to be desired.

Dang, AOTC was so close to taking 2nd again, that stupid Ya-Ya nonsense.

JonathanLB
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:48:09 PM
B.O. Guru dude is being an idiot yet again.

He thinks Spider-Man should finish at between $400 and $410 million. Uhh, I think not. Definitely around the $420 million mark, give or take perhaps $5 million. $400?!?! Spider-Man will clear that easily.

Jesus this guy is so awful given that he does this every week.

AmazonBabe
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:53:57 PM
Ya know, I still haven't seen Spidey. :lol I probably won't till it comes out on PPV!!!

I am dedicating this summer to the viewing of nothing but AOTC. I may give in to see MIB2, and maybe a couple more, but that's it. My money for this summer is going to AOTC.

See, this is the reason GL has got doe. It's cause of us fanatics! :lol

flagg
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:55:13 PM
A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one :)

JonathanLB
Jun 10th, 2002, 04:07:46 PM
Yes, the fanatics like me who see his damn movies 50 times each in theaters! Plus all you other people who are insane to lesser degrees ;) lol, j/k

Yeah the summer of TPM, I was even more die-hard in many ways because I went from May 19 until OCTOBER before seeing anything in theaters besides TPM. I did, however, rent about 90 movies during that period of time, so I saw plenty of other stuff I missed, but to be totally honest nothing that summer appealed to me at first glance at all. Wild Wild West looked like a horrible bomb, I didn't like the first AP, why would I like Austin Powers 2, I thought? (I did end up liking it and I got it on DVD, but it's not that good). Then there was Big Daddy, which had potential I thought, but I just didn't feel compelled to see it. The Sixth Sense interested me but I also avoided that until later.

I saw NOTHING but TPM for like five straight months.

Now with AOTC, I'm seeing it more times than I did TPM in the first few months yet I'm also seeing every other release too! Not an easy task, hehe.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:06:07 PM
Well there estamites were wrong for every movie as was said still I was hoping for at least 14 million that was my goal at least hopefully it will drop about 30 next weekend and stay at about 10 or so that would be cool. I think it will pass 300 now, it only needs 45 million and I think it would be hard for it not to make it. In other news Bad Company is obviously the first bomb of the summer, I thought that film was going to be big or at least make it to 100 but It will be lucky to make it to 50 now.

JMK
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:14:18 PM
I wonder what made BC fail so miserably with crowds? People love Hopkins. They like Rock alot. It looked kinda funny. What gives?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:05:40 PM
I have no clue, Mojo was saying maybe it was the various sporting events but still that doesn't explain Friday away. Maybe people got turned off by the adds, One weird thing Mojo brought this up is they said it was the curse of all the film that were delayed after 9/11, Collateral Damage which has made only 40 million or so, Big Trouble didn't even make 10 and now Bad Company did bad, still one more delayie left, Windtalkers and that comes out Friday. Personally I wouldn't count that one, they annouced they were delaying the film before 9/11 and I think if the movie does bad it will because people are just not interested in it.

Jedieb
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:09:23 PM
Wasn't SOAF delayed also? Even if it wasn't, its subject matter hasn't hurt it. I think the sporting events and good weather may have taken their toll on the B.O. As for BC, everyone is due a flop, maybe it was just Bruckenwhaterver's turn. I like Rock, but he hasn't really proven himself to be a B.O. force. I think BC may have been his last chance.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:20:48 PM
Well Bruckenhimer will still make movies and they probably will make money, his last action film (Gone in 60 Second really didn't do that well only made 100) I think he should make more films like Remember the Titans to me that was the best film he has made well I might change my mind after I see Black Hawk Down.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:24:28 PM
I still want to see Bad Company. That might help a tiny bit next weekend. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:29:45 PM
I should of took in conceration that I knew nobody who wanted to see it, I wanted to see it but then I had too much to do this weekend, now I don't know if I will for other reasons. Most of my friends, coworkers, etc weren't really interested in it, maybe its the trailers which are kind of bla, or the believabilty of Hopkins killing hundreds of Bad guys like Arnold or Segal.

Darth23
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:43:20 PM
I think part of it could be that Bad Company kind of seemed like a more comedic version of Sum of All Fears.

The previews & trailers really didn't show that much of the movie.

JonathanLB
Jun 11th, 2002, 01:21:35 AM
Well I liked Bad Company a lot, the critics are wrong. It's quite a good summer film. Very funny, very entertaining.

Yeah it's predictable, but what did you expect? Still, predictable or not, it IS funny and I still enjoyed myself... I don't get it. What more could anyone want from this type of film?! Every movie is not a Star Wars or a Memento or a Fight Club. It's ok for a movie to be just fairly low-key summer entertainment...

Rock's Down to Earth did quite well, actually. $67 million for a comedy is almost ALWAYS good. Comedies do not make big bucks. Think of all of the GREAT comedies that never cleared $100 million. Plain and simple, the comedy genre just doesn't yield high grosses normally. However, it's cheap, and that is really good! You can make great comedies for $15 to $35 million max, basically. That is wonderful. So lower box office grosses or not, it's worthwhile.

Rock is the man, hehe.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 11th, 2002, 01:36:31 AM
:lol but Down to Earth sucked! Bad Company is better than Down to Earth, I HOPE. :)

JonathanLB
Jun 11th, 2002, 01:50:51 AM
No way! Down to Earth was HILARIOUS. I love that movie! I got the DVD too, dang good film. Man I can't believe you didn't like that. Bad Company is not better at all... It's close maybe, not better though.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 11th, 2002, 01:54:42 AM
O NOS!

Mebbe I won't like it then. :) Down to Earth was funny the first time I saw it, in the theatre, with my friends to make comments about it while we were watching it.

The second time, at home, on video...it dragged and I didn't like it near as much.

JonathanLB
Jun 11th, 2002, 02:15:12 AM
I saw it both at home and in the theater and loved it both times. A very charming film :)

Hilarious.

flagg
Jun 11th, 2002, 09:26:48 AM
I'm very pleased AOTC beat that Ya Ya film on Sunday. These are the kind of legs we need!