PDA

View Full Version : Master's promotion

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 9th, 2002, 11:05:29 PM
OOC : I have to bring this up OOC, because I know this Knight would do the rank justice and has been a Jedi for a long, long time. He has passed a trial some time ago - but I am not sure even then. So I will put this forward for the other Jedi Masters to consider.

Now before I name this person, I will say that another Master's trial is on for someone else. FYI ^_^, so dont bring other names up. You never know who's up now :)

The name I put forward is SATINE CAPHISEN (sp), better known as Alpha. Even if I restested, I know he will pass, but even though he has been a Jedi for a long, long time, his past is checkered. No more or no less than others, but it has been. Thence I am not 100% certain what others may think. He is passionate and is headstrong, but it is the time I bring his name up for discussion. This is admittedly a left of field nomination, but I feel he will rise to the challenge of this rank

I place his name forward for discussion. If Yes, I would wish to see why. If no, I would want to see what he needs to be done to have this rank.

Let the discussion begin

Morgan Evanar
Jun 10th, 2002, 05:31:30 AM
As much as I like Satine OOC. he's got a crapload of stuff IC.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2002, 05:39:09 AM
As in problems and bad history IC? Yes, I agree with that myself. The reason why I took the unusal step of opening this discussion is that I know he would pass one of my tests and indeed as I said, has. As much as I would love to see a real old timer get a promotion and especially someone who has come such a long way, I'm hesitant. Part of me says I would like to take the chance and promote him. Other part of me says he may not be ready.

And if he's not ready, I think he should know why, so he may do something about it. And as I said, testing isnt the solution, been there and he passed that. Maybe he gets some advanced level training from a Master?

Xazor Elessar
Jun 10th, 2002, 07:45:27 AM
I think that he is ready! I am not being biased, just because we have developed a good friendship OOC...and I am not being partial because he is my bro IC either. I am basing it on hard facts. Sure, he has had problems IC...but I know that he would take the place and die for his fellow Jedi. He is headstrong but willing...willing to take chances and risks beyond what I have seen a lot of people doing. I am sure he would make a good Master. For his IC age as well as OOC age...he is not only a great teacher, but also a very good RPer. He and I have done a ton together and I know that he is loyal to the Jedi Order. There is not a question in my mind that he would make a great Master and be an even greater asset to the GJO. He is on nearly everyday...and is extremely active in many threads. I know that I may sound partial, but I am not, I am simply being honest in my thoughts. He plays his part well, and lives up to the title of Warrior. Though he may have had problems, don't we all?? Do not judge someone for what they have done, judge them for who they are.

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 10th, 2002, 08:50:19 AM
I am not a Master, but I am on the Council. Sence Marcus asked the Masters to vote, I will just give some advice I heard someone say here a long time ago.

Jedi rank is not given with you have the skills to be called one. It is given when the rest of the Order sees you as one instead. This is not the military. You can not get ranks just because you are liked or lucked up and did a big good dead. It is something the others feel in thier hearts first.

This could be taken for or against Alpha. It is just my two cents.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:57:28 AM
It is something the others feel in thier hearts first.

This would be, then, why we are discussing it, to see what the general opinion of the Order is on his promotion.

I personally think Alpha is deserving of the rank, but this is from a perspective of having seen him from the Sith side of things - I haven't been here at GJO all that long, but in the time I have he has IMO acted up to standard.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:05:04 AM
I do not believe he is ready. He is strong in the force, it is true...but the Dark Side still follows him like a distant shadow. He must learn to control his recklessness, if he is to become a Master of the Jedi.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:12:50 AM
Again like Vega, i have only seen him from the Sith side and for nearly over a year and a bit he has provided us with some darn good fights and some real good RPs, im not saying hes ready, and im not saying hes not ready ether, but what i am saying is he has provided Jedi some top class loyalty and stood up to some of the best out there.

Although i dont know his past so thats why m not saying ether way.

AmazonBabe
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:52:04 PM
Ditto what Anbira said.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 10th, 2002, 05:21:33 PM
"I cannot vote as well but I must echo Anbira's sentiments as a Council Member of the Order. He is quick to anger... a volitile trait to be sure. Once he can do this, then would I feel Satine ready to be a Master Jedi."

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 10th, 2002, 08:51:37 PM
Well...I've been thinking this over some and taking in some of the other comments mentioned here.

I think Satine/Alpha has come a long way. I don't see this knight quick to change sides anymore. Also he is a good protector of the peace. All these are positive comments towards him.

But..on another note, I do notice in his character a tendency to lash out at times. Not a very humble and peaceful or tactful way that a Jedi Master should be. Just my opinon. The boy needs a little more control.

:lol ok..I sound like Yoda.....::

Alpha
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:04:07 PM
Yup, my char does lash out, but I've had a start at toning him down lately...I don't blame him though, imagine a 14 year old's patiencte and you got his. lol. I'm wokring on it.:)

Sorry, can't type tonight...

Sage Hazzard
Jun 11th, 2002, 10:12:20 PM
OOC - Heh, I guess Sage should get a demotion then... :lol Heck, I'd even go along with it. Seriously. I'd love to be a Knight again. :)

Satine should be a Master OOC. IC, he's not really Master material. I mean, he's kind of flipped flopped with the side of the road he's walked on. Dark Side, then Light Side and back again and again. However, I think we could remedy that. What if we put him to a test. Not a fight test... a REAL test. Well all his faults would be brought to the forefront and he'd have to overcome them.... I can cook up some ideas. :)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 11th, 2002, 10:24:46 PM
Satine, it might be a good idea to kind of age your character in the coming month or two. I've aged Morgan a good deal from the initial 23... he's now 32.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:35:21 AM
Sage : I've tested Satine before and it is my belief he would pass anyother test, else I would hand out another. But I am well aware IC he's got some things to sort out. I simply believe he does that in the way he believes OOC best.

At that point, he should be promoted.

Basically, I believe that when the things listed are remedied, I see no reason not to promote.

Aging - might not be a bad idea Satine. When I started, I put my age at 31. Had a bit of a think tho and realised I was far too advanced in the Jedi arts for that age to be valid. So I switched to a different race with was longer lived and backed the powers down. My character is now 109 years, which gave me a lot more leeway.

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:45:12 AM
I did something very much the same. When i started with Verse he was 17. Now he is 25. Or should I say he looks it. Really he is over 60 (Doesn't fully know. Had him memory erased by Xazor's Sith Master, that is why he thought he was so younge. He just looked it.) He only looks 25 because of the slow outward ageing of the Garou.

Sanis Prent
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:46:50 AM
And I just made Anbira ooold

Jedi Master Leia Solo
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:13:47 AM
It would probably be a good idea to make Satine/Alpha ATLEAST in his 20's. Just a thought. Of course, making sure he is more mature IC too, would help :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:33:07 AM
Then he could grow old gracefully :lol

Sometimes, with how wacky the board time is, it is good to jump ahead in time to try and work things out so they make more sense :)

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:37:15 AM
That would mean I have to age too! :lol My character came in at about...17 or so, but then I bumped her to 19, and then just did the birthday thing for her in April, so now she's twenty...but I could age her a bit more.... :D I am like Verse, I do not even look 20! More like...15 or something. :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:58:19 AM
Old age and trechery will beat youth and skill anyday

Funny how pormotion standards have changed over the years. Two years ago no one would have questioned :). Not a bad thing, shows how things have progressed.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:58:36 AM
I'm quite glad this discussion has came up, as for the Master promotion I would say that from what I've seen, IC, some maturation is required. But as for the age thing, I'm completely stumped on how to age Loki. I don't want him to be a child forever, but I want to develop him properly, I really enjoy implementing loads of different influences into his growing up and for the time being I am having a lot of fun with that.

I also want to take him through adolescence, I don't want a sudden jump to adulthood. I want to feel like he really has grown up progressively, I was hoping that by the end of the next 18 months, he will be 18, how does that sound?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:00:54 AM
:: Does Dumbledore impersonation and draws an Ageing line spell on the ground ::

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:45:45 AM
Hmmm...But does anyone have any good ideas on how to age Alpha, here? I've been racking my brains and couldn't really think of a way...

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:47:31 AM
Well Alpha seems to have been 14 for ages, maybe you can just ... change. It's over due :mneh

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:48:02 AM
The cloners on Kamino know how to age someone

Sage Hazzard
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:22:29 PM
Zoinks, Sage is only 18! :lol Maybe I should age him.... Except he is more mature then most anyone else. Because of some small things in his past that made him see and do things no one should ever do. Like having to care and provide for his sister and family at the age of ten. Out on the streets.

DO NOT age him through some means other than naturally. Just make him older, no one will get mad or anything. Just say... okay, he's thirty now. :lol If you do something IC to make him older, rapidly, he won't have maturity. He'll just be a 14 year old stuck in a old dude's body.

Also, even if you don't age him, he doesn't have to be reckless and immature. Heck, I was ten and in the 4th grade and got an A+ in conduct for the entire year. Plus I had a 98 grade average but managed to not be a teacher's pet. Just because your young, doesn't mean you lick ice cream cones all day and tell fart jokes.

I read that you had tested him Marcus. But to resolve his issues, test him again! Heck, couldn't hurt. Then, people could look at the test and say... hey, guess he has changed! It's one of those moments in a story where the hero sheds his past skin and takes on a new attitude. Make him face a life changing choice or something. Then, when he passes, there'll be no IC qualms. I think a bulk of us Masters agree he should be a Jedi Master OOC, we just have to fix the problems IC.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 12:45:38 PM
Wow Sage, very well said!! :) That whole thing about maturing IC, where you are put to a test, is what happened to Xazor. That is so her when you described the "hero" shedding his past and takes on a new attitude. :D

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:17:21 PM
Alpha is already starting that "Shedding." Ask Xazor, she can attest for my char's changing lately. I think I might make my char around 20, which would fit my Sig pic nicely too. :)

Alpha
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:20:17 PM
Oh, btw Mark~When WAS I tested, or can I even know? I don't remember anything that could have been construed as a test...:)

Morgan Evanar
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:05:48 PM
Sage, you said:

Maybe I should age him.... Except he is more mature then most anyone else

I completely disagree. I find Sage to be very immature IC.

Xazor Elessar
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:49:17 PM
I think he meant for his characters age. I would agree with Sage that for the age of his character, he is quite mature.....

Sanis Prent
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:01:56 PM
I agree with Morg on this one.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 11:56:30 PM
Sage is only headstrong and passionate. I dont count that as immature.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:05:57 AM
Ignoring reality is immature.

Verse Dawnstrider
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:11:59 AM
I see him as a normal 18 year old. Not mature, not immature.

After reading this thread I have seen that I need to work on Verse as well. I plan to kill the flirting. That is holding him back kinda bad.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:25:57 AM
Oh, he's mature alright. Hs zealousy is a character flaw, which I inserted. But that doesn't make hm immature. When it comes to the Sith, yeah, he's kind of reckless. Which would make him immature, of course. But in all other aspects he's completely beyond mature. Even in the zealousy...how?

Because even though he's reckless to some, he's actually not. He doesn't care if he lives or dies, he only wants to rid the galaxy of evil. He sees himself as the bearer of all responsibility. If he goes into battle with a thousand warriors, he'll go first. Not because he's the best, or because he wants to kill people. Because it might save one person's life. Taking responsibilty is the largest part of maturity... however I do see your point Morgan.

Also, he's mature in the sense he knows the world better. He's seen the darkest if the dark, brightest of the bright. He's been down, up, and back again. He's dealt with a thousand and one different kind of people, and has insight more than most into the inner workings of these people's minds. He's mature in the sense that he knows reality. He doesn't go flying around and screaming. When he goes and hunts for Sith, he knows exactly what he's doing. He actually hates having to do it, but feels he has to because no one else will.

Also,to tie everything up, Sage has rage issues. When he joined the Jedi, he didn't. Kind of backwards, I know. When he gets a little ticked, he can go off the deep end and let his zealous and strong headedness get in the way. Which is a sign of immaturity.