PDA

View Full Version : Attack of The Kid Flicks!!

Quadinaros
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:58:15 PM
What's up with all the Kid Flicks coming up? My 7-year-old son, of course, wants to see all of them, but I'm not sure how many I can afford to take him to.

6/14 Scooby Doo
6/21 Lilo & Stitch
6/28 Hey Arnold! The Movie
7/3 Like Mike
7/3 Powerpuff Girls: The Movie
7/19 Stuart Little 2

What the flux?

All spring I had nothing to take my son to, now this. He's already seen AOTC 3 times, and he wants to see that again, along with Spidey and Spirit.

I think the studios are lame. These flicks all have hit potential, but wouldn't some of them be better suited for spring or fall?

Personally, I'm looking forward to Scooby and Hey Arnold! The rest of them, I'm dreading. :lol

Scooby was my favorite cartoon as a child, so I have to see it, even though I acknowledge that it looks dumb.

Hey Arnold! is my favorite of my son's favorite cartoons. You gotta love football head! :angel

Any other thoughts on this?...

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:59:10 PM
For whatever reason, I can't wait for Lilo & Stitch.

Quadinaros
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:42:25 PM
Originally posted by JMK
For whatever reason, I can't wait for Lilo & Stitch.

Well, this looks kinda funny, but I gotta admit, I'm not familiar with Lilo and Stitch. Judging from the audience reaction to the trailer at AOTC screenings, I'm the only one who doesn't know them. :rolleyes

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:44:13 PM
No one knows them, it's just that it seems every single major Disney character is going to have a role in this movie. Almost like Shrek where almost every major fairy tale character got in.

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:54:32 PM
Man all of those movies look unbearable to me, no offense to anyone, but I'll see them all of course. Hopefully a few are ok...

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:56:40 PM
I'd have to agree with Jonathan. That slate looks rather weak. I think "Stallion" will continue to play well with that competition.

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:57:34 PM
It looks bizarre to me. I dunno.

BUt then I thought The Emperor's New Groove was going to suck, and its now MY FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIE EVER!!!!

:lol sorry about the all caps outburst, I just love it a lot. :D

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:59:29 PM
"I'm not really interested in your opinions Threepio."

;)

Quadinaros
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:00:35 AM
Well, if you're talking about weakness, we should acknowledge that these movies will really kill AOTC's matinee audience. And CMJ, these movies should all open well ahead of Spirit. While I confirm that Spirit is holding very well.

:|

CMJ
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:02:09 AM
They'll open ahead of "Spirit"...but I doubt any except maybe "Scooby" will perform well in the longterm.

Quadinaros
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:09:59 AM
Don't underestimate the power of The Powerpuff Girls.

Oh, and I'm afraid that Like Mike's box office will be quite substantial when competing movies arrive. >D

CMJ
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:15:07 AM
Speaking of which. I actually know someone who is an extra in that "Little Bow Wow"(WTF kinda name is that?!) movie.

JonathanLB
Jun 9th, 2002, 01:28:08 AM
"I'd have to agree with Jonathan. That slate looks rather weak. I think "Stallion" will continue to play well with that competition."

Yeah actually that film was not that bad. I have to admit I am pretty negative on it compared to some critics. I gave it 2.5 stars and it BARELY got there, it was on course for 2 but the last action scene was exciting enough so that I felt I could not call it simply an average film when it did display characteristics making it a bit above average.

Not a bad kids movie I guess but I felt that it was not kiddie at all. I mean, that part was good, it wasn't a kiddie film. It just wasn't that well made, and I hate to say that because this is DreamWorks.

Jesus I'm starting to feel those beers, ok enough posting for me here I guess.

Point is, those other kiddie films look really stupid to me. I could be wrong, though, I want to see them with somewhat of an open mind. Maybe a few will surprise me and end up in the 2.5 to 3 range. I am not too harsh, either, I doubt any of them land below 1.5, but maybe...

Jinn Fizz
Jun 9th, 2002, 07:50:17 AM
The first Stuart Little movie was very cute. I went to see it in the theater when it came out because I'd read the book when I was little, since it was by the author of my favorite book when I was a girl (and seemingly every other little girl's favorite book :)), Charlotte's Web. They did a very nice job with it, and Nathan Lane just about stole the movie as the voice of Snowbell the cat. I think there's a good chance I might see Stuart Little 2, since I liked the first one.

But as for the rest of them? PPpppffffttttt :p. Personally, I think Lilo and Stitch looks dumb, and the reaction to it when I've seen the trailers before AOTC has been fairly underwhelming.

If Scooby Doo ends up being a huge hit, I swear I'll just *%#@ a very large brick. >_<

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 9th, 2002, 10:32:32 AM
I really don't see Hey Arnold or Powerpuff Girls doing that well. Powerpuff Girls opens July 4 weekend against MIB2 which will slaughter it, plus the animation looks as cheap as it is on Cartoon Network the same with Hey Arnold which I think will perform similarly to that Recess Movie that came out a while back. Really only three of them have a chance at making 100, Stuart Little 2 (probably just barely) Lilo and Stitch, hey its Disney and it looks better than that POC Atlantis movie last summer, and Scooby Doo. I with you Jinn I am so hoping that movie does badly, I expect a big opening weekend 40+ but I hope it falls badly, it just looks so stupid, easily the worst movie of the summer.

Quadinaros
Jun 9th, 2002, 01:46:31 PM
Jinn Fizz,

I also enjoyed Stuart Little, but from what I've seen of SL2 trailers, it looks kinda lame. My favorite scenes from the first one were the interactions between Stuart and Snowball, but they should be good friends now, so I don't know where they'll go with that. And I don't really like the stuff with Stuart driving around in that little car, which seems to be featured in the SL2 trailer. Oh, well... I'll give it a chance. :\