PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube, PS2, or X-Box?

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:05:54 PM
I asked this question over at the TFN boards because I wanted to get as much input as possible. I figure we have to have some gamers here so what the hell. My birthday is coming up in July and I'm torn between getting a new digital camera or a game system. In the end I'll probably go with the camera simply because I really don't have time to sit and play video games anymore. There's always a diaper to change or some toy to turn off, excuse me.........(jedieb gets up to turn off the world's most ANNOYING Sesame Street noise maker).

So what do you guys think, Gamecube, PS2, or the X-box? My main criteria is basically this; Which system has the best Star Wars games? I swear, of the last 20 video games I've bought in the last 5 years or so, 19 of them have either been SW games, or different versions of Tetris. No other kinds of games interest me. I also don't get into roleplaying or multiplayer games. So which system do you guys prefer?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:15:50 PM
I have a PS2 and I think that is the best IMO, but each have pluses and minus. Gamecube is the cheapest at 150 but it has no DVD capabilities, also its game are aimed more towards children, it does have one exception maybe one of the best SW games ever Rogue Squadron, I have played it before at Target, it is awesome but it is the only SW game for that system and there aren't going to be any more in the near future. X-Box has reduced its price to 199 but it still has few games, it has the more powerful system but the games have been weak, the only SW game to debut so far was the awful Obi-Wan which I heard nothing good about. There is a SW roleplaying game coming out this fall, but you mentioned you aren't in to roleplaying games. So then PS2 has the most SW games so far, it already has Starfighter, Jedi Starfighter, Racers Revenge, and SW bombad Racing. And there are three more coming out in the next year at least, Bounty Hunter, which looks really cool you play Jango. Clone Wars, which I haven't heard much about yet comes out in the fall, and SW Galaxies which is going to be on the PC and X-Box as well so if you go by SW games then I say PS2 is your choice. It also down from 299 to 199, it has a DVD player and could have online capabilities real soon.

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:35:25 PM
I don't think that Nintendo games are at all aimed for children! No more so than any other system. By far, and every game knows this, Nintendo makes the highest quality games. There are fewer of them, though. It's quality, not quantity. Everyone knows that PS and PS2 have way more games than GameCube, but at the same time, it's pretty obvious which system has the best games. I personally prefer quality, so I mainly go with GameCube for that.

I have both PS2 and GameCube, though, no X-Box. I have little time to play either, although I have always been a die-hard Nintendo fan.

Playstation games were always so much lower quality than N64, lol. It's incredible. PS2 is a lot more even with GameCube, but still Nintendo has been doing this forever, they know how to make great games.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:40:16 PM
Gamecube is a neat, powerful little thing, but now that X-Box and PS2 have dropped their prices so significantly, you'd be nuts not to get one of them. I think the XBox is faster, and has a built in hard drive. It's basically a computer when you think about it. But I can't stand the controller for it, it's too big and far too many buttons. The PS2 isn't as fluid as the XBox, but it has the best market penetration and IMO the best games. The fact that it does DVD without any extras are a big plus as well. The remote is the exact same thing as PS1, and I really dig that. The transition to a new system is seamless, as all games are played the same way. But maybe the coolest thing about PS2 is the fact that it still reads old playstation games, so I can still play TPM!:D It's only drawback IMO is the fact that you need to buy one or more memory cards. Sony's playstation line has a great reputation, and to be honest, I can't see Gamecube sticking around much longer now that all 3 are similarly priced. And I'm unsure of whether Microsoft thinks its a good move for them to stay in the video game market and just focus on PC's. I think PS2 is your best bet.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:14:42 PM
I need to get my brother in this thread. He's a die hard Nintendo guy...you can catch him on www.nintendominion.com

He'd definetely tell you to get the Gamecube, but I can't personally tell you any good reasons why. :p

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:22:33 PM
Cuz it's small and cute and comes in 2 different colors? :p

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:27:45 PM
I would agree with your brother, then. I am die-hard Nintendo, hehe, always have been. I think once you are loyal to a company like that, you don't just switch.

I always hated Sega and it was great when they finally bit the dust as a hardware maker and went to software only, lol. How awesome, and they make games for Nintendo too, LOL, the irony!

I really like my PS2, I wasn't trying to insult it, haha. I love being able to play DVDs from it, so that is my DVD player for the room. Of course I go to the TV room or the home theater to watch most movies, but I can watch them from bed here, so when I feel kinda tired or sick I just stay here in my room and watch.

I do not think X-Box sales have been that wonderful from what I hear, and PS2 is totally dominating the market, but us Nintendo fans will still stick with our company primarily.

I get every single Nintendo system. In fact, I have owned every one of them...

Nintendo
Game Boy
Super Nintendo
N64
Virtual Boy (I loved it, even though it was unpopular, I have every game ever actually released for it)
Game Boy Color
Game Cube
Game Boy Advance

I've had about 5 total Game Boy systems, but one time a hamster that got loose actually chewed the rubber buttons off, and later died (lol), so I had to get a new red one. I think I had a yellow one once too, and then the smaller Game Boy Color, but that was blown away by Game Boy Advance, which I love!

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:30:39 PM
I've owned the
Sega Master System (I always thought the graphics and games, albeit far less numerous were better than the NES)
Sega Genesis
Super Nintendo
Playstation 1
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2.

Despite owning all of those, I still wish I had owned an Atari in my life. :(

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:32:44 PM
I answered you at TF.N :)

Over here, the GC is far cheaper than the others, so Id look at prices first

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:39:33 PM
I had a Sega Genesis too, I also had a Sega CD, which is where I started to hate Sega. They said it was a 32 bit system, the first ever, they advertised, then later they said, "Oh wait, actually it is only 16 bit." EXCUSE ME?! Talk about blatant false advertising. Someone should have sued them. I paid $300 for that system and it went down in value by half after they announced that, they cut the price themselves. They were always so incredibly incompetent. Oh well, I had some fun with Sega systems.

I remember it was a big deal when I got the Game Gear Sega system because I got a TV tuner, and I didn't have TV in my room, so it was pretty sweet getting that. The idea of watching TV in my room late at night was somehow really cool when I was younger, haha, and even if it was on a tiny little screen with bad reception, it was still awesome :) Now of course I have satellite TV in my room and my TV is good sized, 19 inches I guess, plus my computer right next to it (never had one of those in my room until a while later too), etc.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:58:34 PM
You're right, Sega was always VERY poorly run. The Dreamast was a nightmare for them and I pity anyone who bought it. The Genesis was a great system though. Terrific games and the best controller ever IMO.

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:02:51 PM
All 3 systems have their pros and cons. I'm tempted to buy the GC because of the Rogue Squadron game. The chance to take a Death Star run with great graphics is VERY tempting. But now that the prices have come down on the other systems I'm tempted to go with PS2. I know the X-Box is the most powerful of the 3, but PS2 will have the upcoming Bounty Hunter game, and it's got Jedi Starfighter. If PS2 had Rogue Squadron then I wouldn't even hesitate. Plus, there's the whole 'microsoft is evil' issue which makes me hesitant to throw more money at Gates. Does anybody know if RS will ever make its way off of Nintendo?

Here's some of the systems I've had;

PS1
Nintendo 64
Super Nintendo
Nintendo
(Played Sega in college a lot)
ColecoVision (Donkey Kong baby!!!)
Atari
Ah, Pong and Space Invaders, the memories....

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:05:15 PM
the GC has Bounty Hunter, EP2, RL and a few more. Im starting to think thats the better pick

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:08:21 PM
I like that Bounty Hunter is going to be mulitplatform. I really wish more games were released that way. Exclusive games for a property like SW are just criminal if you ask me.

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:09:45 PM
unless they're rubbish. I played Obi Wan in the shop. THe lightsabre is just confusing :)

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:58:04 PM
I almost got the GC too, then I got a sweet deal on a PS2. I'd still consider a GC, but I don't think it will compete as well anymore with the other 2 superior systems coming down in price as much as they have. It may very well go the way of the dreamcast...

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:00:50 PM
But he wants it based on SW games. It will be adequate at minimum:)

Lord Gue
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:11:15 PM
From a sales stand point, id have to say XBox, a few games, supirior quality, maybe a screwy controler, but now that its gone down to 199 smackers, its a good buy...

Admiral Lebron
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:35:05 PM
The Sony unit, PS2, it far better choice than both the X-box or Gamecube. Why: In October online capabilites, many more games, generally funner games, DVD capabilites, and most of all Sony seems consumer oriented. As in, the previous system's games work with the new system. Something, Nintendo doesn't do and X-box is first generation for Microsoft. Although the PS2 costs 199 its worth it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:48:06 PM
Yeah, I wonder what the future holds for the gamecube, I suspect they will drop there price, if they don't they will lose. As far as Rogue Squadron, I hope it gets to another system, it might get to the PC, since most SW games get there eventually, if the gamecube goes belly up they might make a version for the PS2 that is possible. I didn't know Bounty Hunter is going to GC but that doesn't surprise me, I had read that Jedi Starfighter is going to be on the X-Box so I know Lucasarts likes to put there games on more than one system. Also you have a DVD player right? Just curious so unless you want to put it on a second TV you might want to consider that, though the DVD quality on the PS2 is not bad it is better than most of the DVD's that cost less than $100.

Figrin D'an
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:50:50 PM
Here's the systems that I have owned or have played extensively:

Atari 2600
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Playstation 2

I have played, at least marginally, the GameCube, X-Box and Sega Dreamcast systems.

Between the current "Big 3" (PS2, X-Box, GameCube), I would put Playstation 2 on top, at least so far. It has the most extensive game library thus far, backwards compatability with the PS1, reasonable DVD playback, pretty powerful processor, and some nice features like optical output, Dolby Digital 5.1, etc.

The X-Box is the most powerful of the three in terms of raw processor power and hardware package, but it really has no games of significance that I am interested in playing and the standard controllers are awkward.

Gamecube is a nice system. It's compact, reasonably powerful... all the games are on mini-discs, which is kind of cool. I rented a system recently and played through Rogue Squadron II. It's a solid game, but I felt that the controls were a bit unatural. Honestly, though, I think that Jedi Starfighter is a better game. I actually liked the original Rogue Squadron game (for Nintendo 64) more as well.

If you are focusing on the Star Wars games, go for either GameCube or PS2. You'll probably be happy with either one of them. I like both systems, and the GameCube library is catching up to PS2. For now though, the PS2 is ahead in my book for one major reason: The Final Fantasy series. Now that Sony bascially owns SquareSoft, the Playstation line will get the Final Fantasy games first, if not exclusively. Nintendo might be able to get my attention again if both Metroid Prime and the new Legend of Zelda game are top titles...

My favorite console system of all-time though is still Super Nintendo... it had so many great game titles. I still play many of the games to this day.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:55:58 PM
PS2 offers more options as far as SW games go. Why? Because of the DVD ROM capabilities that will enable users to access web site only SW material. Much like the trailer you could access only by owning the TPM DVD. Now I know Jedieb is listening to that one. I think that between Jedi Starfighter and Racer's Revenge, PS2 already offers better SW games than GC. Plus, you can find TPM for PS1 anywhere for dirt cheap now, and it's a surprisingly fun and challenging game. (If you don't know the cheats).

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:11:38 PM
I liked Jedi Power Battles better, I liked smashing those droids.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:42:06 PM
I liked the fact that there were different characters, but I thought the gameplay reeked of stupidity. I found such an awkward game to play, and not at all related to SW.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:26:58 PM
I thought it was very related to SW sure there were some added bosses, and I really liked playing as Mace that was cool, my biggest complaint was that it was too easy, I beat it in a two weeks it was that simple.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:30:48 PM
It was the bosses that ruined it for me. I thoguht they were so uncalled for in the game. Just throw more droids at me and I'm happy.

Admiral Lebron
Jun 9th, 2002, 07:27:07 AM
Phantom Menace was a fun game. Especially early on, fighting droids with Obi-Wan. I was great at that game. I didn't like how at the end though, Maul could shoot lightning at you. Espically like when you charge at him from across the cat-walk and he throws you back and almost off the cat-walk with his lightning. I also didn't like the fact if you slaughtered random people on Tatooine everyone hated you.

jjwr
Jun 9th, 2002, 07:51:06 AM
Definetly go with a Cube! I think its funny people are saying PS2 is the better machine or more powerfull.....Gamecube came out well over a year later, how can it not be more powerfull?

I think in straight power and potential X-Box is on top, then GC then PS2. PS2 has the games but because it rushed the system out eariler to get the marketshare jump its going to give up the power of the other systems.

Thats not hurting it now and it may not but down the road your going to see some drop dead incredible games on these other systems.

Rogue leader is a awesome game, I've been playing it quite a bit. Nothing like taking down a Star Destroyer with a B-Wing or dog fighting over Bespin with a A-Wing....great stuff.

And its Nintendo, you've got kids right? If nothing else you'll have the potential to get them very fun games as well....everybody loves Mario!!!

PS2 and X-Box have DVD's.....DVD's are cheap now, I can't imagine the DVD in the PS2(being older) is of incredibly good quality, you could easily buy a Gamecube and a new external DVD player for not a whole lot more, they're quit echeap now.

Anyways, GC Rules! :)

Admiral Lebron
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:57:03 AM
Nintendo is a horrible company. They force you to buy a new system every couple of years in order to get new games. So horrible.

Figrin D'an
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:24:37 PM
The built-in DVD player isn't just for film DVDs either. It's also there for DVD games. This is where GameCube is going to be hurt by the other two systems. While it's optical discs are a DVD variant, it isn't DVD proper.

I actually like the GameCube, I just happen to like PS2 more, that's all. Ultimately, it comes down to games, though. The raw power of the system is meaningless without good software for it to run. That's why I think that PS2 holds the top spot right now. GameCube can catch up, but it needs Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime and the new Legend of Zelda game to all be big hits.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 9th, 2002, 04:20:14 PM
If you can stand generally asslike graphics, get a PS2. I honestly can't stand how goddamned dirty it renders everything. Most Dreamcast titles simply look better. Of course, I've spoiled myself rotten by running everything with 2x fullscreen anti-aliasing at 800x600 or higher. I'm a PC gamer if you haven't noticed.

Aside from the bizzare controller, I consider the Cube to be the best platform from the bunch. The X-Box is ok, and I simply find the PS2 to be intolerable.

Jedieb
Jun 9th, 2002, 08:46:16 PM
I've got a DVD player so while that's a nice bonus, it's not something I need. From everything I've read I'm kind of leaning towards the PS2 anyway.

Someone mentioned their favorite games. My all-time favorite games are...
Nintendo's
Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of the Jedi

I could literally pop those in and spend the day going through all of them. (I find it takes a good part of day if you haven't played the games in a couple of years.) I still have my old Super Nintendo hooked up just for those games. It's just fun to follow the story line and go through the whole OT that way. Facing Vader in ESB and ROTJ is always fun. It doesn't matter that the game play is antiquated, it's just a blast. That's one of the things I wish LucasArts would give us. A next generation version of OT games. How cool would that be?

JMK
Jun 9th, 2002, 09:49:09 PM
That would be so freakin amazing. I love those old super NES games, they were all so alike as far as the gameplay went, but the games were very different.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jun 21st, 2002, 10:45:41 PM
Well... sorry for the late reply, but I've missed pretty much everything between my birthday (the 8th) and now. Anyway.

So what do you guys think, Gamecube, PS2, or the X-box? My main criteria is basically this; Which system has the best Star Wars games?

GameCube. It is still cheaper than both of the other systems, is far superior to the PS2 (which, for some reason, is still considered "cutting-edge" by many people), and I prefer it to the X-Box because I hate Microsoft in general for trying to buy it's way into the console gaming scene. And the fact that the GCN still has better games than the Box. The only thing the Box has going for it is an internet support dealy for more multiplayer goodness, like the Dreamcast had in its heyday.

As for Star Wars games, the GameCube will still be your best choice. It has Rogue Leader, but it's definitely not stopping there. In addition to the games everyone else has mentioned, it will also end up sporting the Jedi Knight 2 game. Everything that the PS2 or X-Box is getting is also going to end up on a PC, or already is. Well... guess all that means is that Rogue Leader may take a while to get ported to that, so that makes it the number one game to get a GameCube for. It is really good, and in my own opinion better than the original for the N64 - which was also awesome. The graphics will blow you away if you've just come from playing the N64 or PS2, and there are very few spots with any slowdown.

Oh yeah, and the GCN has the greatest-feeling controller ever designed by man.

Jedieb
Jun 22nd, 2002, 09:17:30 AM
It's come down to the PS2 or the GC. I just can't make up my mind. I was just over at the LucasArts site. To tell the truth, I wasn't all that blown away by the PS2 games. The one game I REALLY want it Rogue Squadron. Star Destroyers, the DS trench, droooollll.... At the end of July my B-Day rolls around so I'll be making my decision then.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:48:38 AM
Bounty Hunter I think looks very cool, there was this big preview of in Playstation magazine and I thought it looked to be one of the best SW games coming out. Clone Wars I have no clue about honestly I can't find anything about it. Also about Gamecube there has been rumors that it is doing poorly especially since PS2 and X-box dropped its price, 49 dollars isn't much of a difference especially since the other two systems have online capabilities and a DVD players, I wouldn't be surprised if Gamecube goes bellyup unless they cut there price because I really can't see how it can survive.

Jedieb
Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:52:12 PM
The X-Box and PS2 price drops have been a serious threat to GC. I think Nintendo made a big mistake by not going for a full size disk and DVD capabilities. Why go just halfway? If you make the switch from a cartridge system then you should just go the distance.

One thing I find strange. The only platform to have a basic AOTC game is the Gameboy. What's up with that?

JediBoricua
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:04:34 PM
I personally owned a PS2 and I love it, I don't have much time to use but I fully enjoy the few hours a week I spend on it. IMO it has the best two next-gen games Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty, and Grand Theft Auto...

But I am really thinking about getting a GC, I was a fanboy as a kid and it just does not seems right for me not to have one, PLUS: JediEb if your criteria is SW games Gamecube (and Xbox, not PS2) will get JediKnight II: JediOutcast, which is IMO the best first person shooter ever made....

Jedieb
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:37:27 PM
Damn, I just don't know which way to go. I think I've pretty much ruled out the X-Box, so I'm at least that far. I may just get the PS2 and then wait for the inevitable price drop on the GC. I bet we see it for $99 this X-Mas or sometime next year.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:51:16 PM
I know Nintendo was dumb not adding a DVD player I think that was there biggest mistake. But if it goes down to 99 it could survive, hey I might get one at that price.

JMK
Jun 24th, 2002, 04:14:14 PM
If GC doesn't drop lower than it already is, it's dead. I'd bet money on it. Here, the XBox and PS2 are down to $299 from $450-499 where as the GC dropped from $299 to $229. Not enough of a drop IMO. You're FAR better off spending the extra $70 and getting yourself a DVD player with it.

A little off topic, I bought Gran Turismo 3 this weekend, and it is by far the most immense, in depth car racing game out there. Mostly I play SW games, but this game is a must own for anyone who digs racing games.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2002, 10:56:09 PM
I guess its more money in Canada, here the PS2 and X-Box dropped from 299 to 199 and the Gamecube has been at 159 the entire time, it better drop another 50, 60 dollars though, or it won't survive.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 07:17:17 AM
I don't think it will survive long no matter how much they drop it.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 07:58:20 AM
So you guys think Nintendo has a Dreamcast on their hands? The N64 had a pretty good run. This would be the biggest loss Nintendo has had in quite some time. What will they do, expand or crank out another system?

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:04:26 AM
Here's a little piece of information about the almighty Playstation. I don't know how many of you die-hard Nintendo fans remember (Raises hand) but back in the days of the SNES Nintendo were investing in a CD drive similar to that which was released for the Sega at the time. However, Nintendo dropped this project, in cooperation with none other than Sony and whilst Nintendo moved onto the N64 which has the greatest game ever made (Ocarina of Tiime), Sony independantly carried on the project.

Of course as you've now guessed this CD drive later became the Playstation meaning that it equates to nothing more than a dropped Nintendo project.

Bottom line, when Sony finally drops out of the console race there will be one remaining gaming titan left over, Nintendo have been around from the start, longer than Sega and certainly longer than Sony and Microsoft in the game console business. They know what they are doing, they bought out Sega and it's just a matter of time before people start rejecting game quantity and massive advertising schemes and start to look at quality and innovation.

Unlike the competition, Nintendo produce original, innovative gameplay; when I first saw the GC last year I thought it looked horrendous, now I think it's the trendiest little thing available to buy. When you compare the statistics of the GC, X-Box and PS2, the X-Box is on top with the GC and PS2 outdoing each other in different leagues. But if you compare the technology within the consoles, Nintendo's is definately on top, they substitute raw processing power for graphics buffers and rendering. Everything about Ninteno is original and new, after purchasing a PS2 and losing interest I have come to the definate conclusion that Nintendo is, always has been and always will be the best: accept no substitutes.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:15:25 AM
Fortunately for Nintendo, they're not nearly as dumb as Sega. If the GC is to lose out to XBox and PS2, they will realize it quickly and come up with something else. I don't think anyone foresaw the huge price drops for Xbox and PS2, not even Nintendo. That was the GC's saving grace; that it was as powerful as the others, with less features BUT could be had for far cheaper. Now, there's not much point in getting a GC unless:

A- You're a die-hard Nintendo fan
B- You want to own a game that is exclusive to GC.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:20:20 AM
I'm not sure about PS2, but I read somewhere that the X-Box is being sold at a LOSS in order to get in as many households as possible. Then evil Gates can make his money off software. Man, I really want that Rogue Squadron game... I'll probably just get a digital camera or a set of golf clubs.:|

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:32:18 AM
Truth be told Jedieb, that may not be a bad idea. The games are such a rip off. I got my first PS2 game this weekend (Gran Turismo 3) and I only bought it because they've made it into their "Greatest Hits" collection and it was $30, which I can deal with. Most games, for me anyway, range from $50-$80 (sometimes more) which is more than I'm willing to pay for a game.

Oriadin
Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:22:03 AM
Ive got to step in now. Im sorry but no one can complain on how good the Dreamcast was. I own a DC and in my opinion, not including the GC and Xbox it was the greatest console ever made. A large variety of top class games and it was a console that brought many new things to the industry. The only fault with the DC was the advertising and the fact that the Saturn was a complete failier.

The DC was the easiest system to program for, had far better graphics than the PSX (Which was its rival), introduced 4 player games from the get go, brought online play to the console world and more.

Here endith the rant!
--------------------------

Now onto todays console war. In my opinion the GC is the system with the most work to do. I think its the best system out of the three but its got to prove it to the consumer. Nintendo hasnt got the money to splash around on advertising as Sony and MS have. The games arent childish, just more colorfull and arcade like. Sony play more on simulation type games. Trying to make them as real as possible. If they become to real then where is the point, you may as well do the thing for real. GC caters for games that are fun and people can have a laugh playing. Its the cheapest console and has better capabilites than the PS2 and in my opinion better designed than the Xbox. Can have four player games and the controlers are the best of the bunch. Dont forget the GBA conectivity too.

Plus it has the rights to the Resident Evil Series.