PDA

View Full Version : Sports, sports and more sports!

JMK
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:59:38 PM
If there are any sports fans out there, this weekend may be the busiest weekend EVER for events!

-World Cup Soccer
-F-1 Race in Montreal
-Barry Bonds visits New York
-Stanley Cup Finals
-NBA Finals
-That big horse race
-Tyson / Lewis "fight"

Anything else? Have the beer fridge stocked folks!

BUFFJEDI
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:06:27 PM
What about your softball games??soft ball right ??

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:14:59 PM
Being a sports nut I'm in heaven. Wait...the Stanley Cup game is back...gotta jet. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:32:46 PM
Well there is also the greatest pitching matchup of this year Schilling vs Pedro that game is going to be televised by Fox on Saturday but I think it might only be on in certain areas.

JMK
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:43:52 AM
I also forgot the tennis french open finals.

And yes Buff, I'm up to my ears in softball this weekend; coaching fri/sat/sun and playing sunday as well! No sport watching for me this weekend!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:16:52 AM
World Cup Soccer! England up 1 nil agaisnt Agrentina

F1!!!! Schamcher will most likey stomp all competion once again. He is so far ahead of everyone else, it's just not funny

Barry who?

Dont care for Hockey

DEFINANTLY dont care about NBA

And horse racing sucks

Tyson / Lewis.... well that could be worth a watch.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:25:17 AM
And Engand win!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:50:00 PM
BARRY BONDS!

:D *smacks Mark for not knowing/caring who Bonds is*

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:52:40 PM
Well baseball isn't exactly big Down Under is it?

I didn't particularly appreciate how he slammed pretty much every one of those events, seeing as I'll be watching most of them. :cry

Oh well, I guess I'll get over it. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:54:16 PM
Tyson was seen in an Argentinian shirt. Lewis should pound him :)

JMK
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:03:32 PM
He should, but that glass chin of his is going to ruin him.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:08:42 PM
glass chin and cooked rare ear;)

JMK
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:12:40 PM
Not to mention that he's already been knocked out cold by two run of the mill contenders. I can totally picture Tyson destroying him early or biting his face off.

ReaperFett
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:14:47 PM
but thats the thing. Tyson has started to go loopy. If Lewis can keep his composure, he'd win in the long run.

Gotta love Tyson intervies though. The body of a wrestler, the voice of Michael Jackson :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:09:19 PM
Baseball? What is that?

No seriously, there are two sports that are actively dissed out in Australia and only played by three headed step sons. Baseball and American Football. Baseball cause it a game more boreing and slower that cricket(!).

Basketball was fairly big, but it's support base has collapsed lately., even in Melbourne which is so sports mad, they will turn up in their thousands to see a game of twiddy-winks.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:40:21 PM
Tiddly-winks! Now that is a sport....

:lol Mark, you've convinced me that Aussies are insane. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:07:31 PM
And all our long years chatting on AIM havent convinced you of that already?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2002, 08:54:03 PM
The Tyson-Lewis fight I won't watch if you paid me, I can't stand Tyson, the man is a rapist, a wife beater and a horrible human being, he belongs caged up with the other animals, besides I hate boxing the sport to me is stupid, I will watch most of the other big contests this weekend, though.

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2002, 08:58:36 PM
Go War Emblem!!!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:11:34 PM
Today's race house is tomorrow's cat food.

^_-

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:11:58 PM
I would like to see him win tomorrow too, that would be really cool.

CMJ
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:18:11 PM
Dude Carr...I've been waiting for a Triple Crown winner my whole life! Affirmed won like a month before I was born in '78 and he was the last. Seattle Slew(who won all 3 in '77) recently passed away so now for the first time since the 20's there is no living Triple crown winner.

He has a great name. Two of the greatest horses of all-time also had War in their names.

Man O' War...and his son War Admiral. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:24:04 PM
Yeah it is hard to believe no horse has won it since 1978. When did Secretarit win it? The early 70?

Jedieb
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:26:31 PM
Tyson is a shot fighter. Lewis can easily beat him senseless. Lewis' chin is much better than people think. Right now, he can take a puch better than Tyson, that's for sure. Neither of these guys can take a pounding like Holyfield, but then who can? But they're both bigger and stronger than Evander, and more important they're younger. I despise Tyson for many of the reasons JMC stated. I hope Lewis beats him senseless and shuts his damn mouth up. However, I will NOT pay a DIME to see that fight. That scumbag racist isn't getting any of my money. I'll read about the fight and see it if HBO ever airs it.

Marcus, you stop slamming my favorite sports!

Man, the Nets have made a FURIOUS comeback and cut a 20 point deficit down to 6! But will getting back in the game exhaust them so they have nothing left at the end?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:30:15 PM
:mischief

I'm hopeful Tyson get's K.O'ed. Your right, he's nothing more than scum. Wouldnt you love to see a Joe Frazier or Ali beat him senseless and put him in his place?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:34:12 PM
Well the Nets are down by 11 now, I don't seen them winning, they just can't stop Shaq, they only seem to be able to stay in the game when Shaq is not in there.

Jedieb
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:50:25 PM
I'm sorry, I meant to call Tyson a 'rapist', not a 'racist.' Although, I'm sure that's something he's probably guilty of anyway. It doesn't matter how much money he makes, he'll be back in prison by the time he's 40. Then he'll find out how those women felt. Dirtbag.

JMK
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:37:38 PM
He's one of the worst people around. He's a nutcase filthy bastard who deserves nothing more than nice long trip to the can for about 15 years, just for saying some of the things he has.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:01:31 AM
Secretariat won in '73. It was pretty remarkable..3 triple crown winners in 5 years.

Secretariat...now THAT was a racehorse! Only Man O' War(the Preakness and Belmont winner in '22 I believe...he didn't run the Derby, otherwise he woulda won that too)can even be compared against him. Those two horses were something we may never see again.

Ironically enough both went by the nickname of "Big Red". Both dominated the sport in a fashion that no other had(well you could throw Citation the TC winner of '48 in there too). There have been great horses...and Triple Crown winners....but nothing as spectacular as Man O' War, Secretariat, and to a lesser degree Citation.

Man O' War DEMOLISHED his opponents. He won one race by 100 lengths!! Citation was so feared that few oweners even ran there horses against him. In one race he ran by himself, because NO ONE even bothered to challenge him. Secretariat set the World Record for the Mile and 1/4 and the Mile and 1/2(both of which still stand) and won the Belomont...one of the three biggest races there is by 31 lengths!

Figrin D'an
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:25:11 AM
I would not be surprised if something happens before the Lewis/Tyson fight to nix the whole thing... boxing has lost all of it's credibility over the past 15 years...

If the fight actually happens, look for Tyson to throw everything at Lewis early. The outcome will depend upon how well Lewis handles it. If he tries to "play chess" to much, he could get beat up early and Tyson could win. If Lewis manages the first 3-4 rounds well, then he'll likely win because he's a far superior late-round fighter than Tyson. I think everyone's big fear, though, is that if the fight reaches the later rounds, Tyson might lose it again and do something to get himself disqualified, ala his second fight with Holyfield.

As for the other sporting events of the weekend:

- I'm not sure the Nets are going to win a game now... they can't even slow down Shaq... he's destroying them on the inside. Jason Kidd is a great player, and is probably the league MVP this year, but he can't carry his team against the Lakers... maybe the Nets will win game 3... maybe...

- I really wouldn't mind seeing either the Hurricanes or the Red Wings winning the Stanley Cup. It's always fun to have an upstart team perform well, but the Detroit/Scotty Bowman dynasty always makes for good hockey... and I'm not really hockey fan.

- The odds on War Emblem are even, the last I heard... everyone says that this horse is now the best bet in last 20 years to win the Triple Crown... I wouldn't mind seeing it happen, but something inside me says that with all of the weight now on the bandwagon, the wheels are about to break...

- Gotta love the upsets in the World Cup... it makes it so much more entertaining... of course, it does help that Team USA managed to pull off a pretty huge upset. :) I now have hope that they can actually make it out of their group...

- Schilling vs. Martinez... the two most dominant pitchers in baseball going head-to-head... I'd watch this game over a Sosa/Bonds home run fest anyday (and Sosa is my favorite player). Should be a great duel, but I have to give the nod to Schilling right now...

- Not really into F1... Michael Schmacher wins everything anyway...

- Something tells me that the French Open is pretty much on the "Who cares" list for a lot of people this weekend... and yes, I'm one of them.

It should be an entertaining sports weekend. :)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:33:26 AM
Figrin, War Emblem is a great horse, but I've seen better. His competition isn't as stiff as in some years which is why I think he has an excellent shot at the Crown.

Real Quiet was OH SO close in '98...losing by a nose.

I think the 2 best horses I've seen in my lifetime were in the same year though. Sunday Silence and Easy Goer. Either of them would have won the Triple Crown in any other year....but the other damn horse was just too good. Silence won the Derby by 2 1/2 lengths and the Preakness by a head. Easy Goer won the Belmont by 13 lengths if I remember right.

Needless to say Easy Goer finished second in the Derby and Preakness and Sunday Silence did like wise at the Belmont.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:59:34 AM
...this thread is really weird to read!

Tyson this! War Emblem that! SHAQ!

:) Nothing like talking about six different things at once. :D

Now, Mark, about those games of tiddly-winks...is there a league in Australia? ;)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:02:29 AM
LOL...yeah this thread is pretty schizzo....but then again so is that Pictures of Jonathan's house thread. :p

Sorry for boring everyone with my history lesson of great horses. I just barely scratched the surface, but reading through my posts I'm like..."I was rambling!" ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:06:48 AM
I like horses. But you'd have to pay me to see Spirit:Stallion of the Cimarron. However, seeing a horse race would be awesome. :p

ANd now, I'll leave you all to your regularly scheduled testosterone-filled Sport thread. :D

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:10:37 AM
There's nothing like actually BEING at a horserace. Seeing the animals march around...sizing them up. You can guage their personalities. I'd LOVE to be able to go to the track more often(in my whole life I've been like 3 times). :(

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:10:45 AM
I hate horse racing with a passion - but I do rather like horse riding :)

Tiddly winks does have a league, yes.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:13:19 AM
Blech Marcus...who asked you anyways. ;)

To each his own...I LOVE Horseracing, and you can't change that. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:24:23 AM
I much prefer LOTS of horsepower. Always have. There's just something about powerdrifting at 200+ kph that just does it for me. I'm not an adrenaline junky, but controlling a race car at those speeds...... man what a thrill

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:29:34 AM
Horses are better. :D Ever had a race car bite another race car??

I'm not sure how that proves my point...oh wait, I think it proves that I had a long day and I need sleep.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:30:49 AM
I have seen race cars bite each other. Gets rather messy with lots of flying glass, metal and car bits flying everywhere in the ensuing accident :)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:31:21 AM
LOL...

Switch off Threepio. ;)

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:34:27 AM
*powers down for the night*

Doc Milo
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:13:33 AM
Wow, CMJ -- I manage an OTB in NY (And I can tell you, I'm glad I work nights! I do not want to be there for the race!) and you know more about horses than I do.

I do have War Emblem in my superfectas! I usually never bet, but, you know, big race, Triple Crown. I have a combination of superfectas that include War Emblem, Perfect Drift, Proud Citizen, and a few of the longer shots on the board. Spent around $13 -- hopefully I hit one -- and if I hit one with a few long-shots, so much the better! (It could pay for my wedding!) :)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:19:14 AM
Yeah if you have one of those long shots come through...woah Momma. :) I'm pulling for ya man...as long as War Emblem comes through. :)

Perfect Drift kind of worries me. I think he could really push Emblem. Especially if War Emblem has to use alot of speed up front(since he HATES coming off the pace I sure as hell don't want him to get caught in a speed race with a rabbitt...it'll wear him out).

Proud Citizen has looked to be War Emblem's closest advesary till now...and I wouldn't be shocked if he won either.

Doc Milo
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:56:06 AM
There is a speed horse that everyone thinks has a chance to push the pace, and throw War Emblem off -- it's the number 3 -- I forget the name, it's morningline odds this morning was 20-1.

Then there is a stalker being ridden by a pretty good jockey -- Migliore -- the number 11 horse, I believe -- that can give it a run, if War Emblem is worn out early by a pushed pace -- and if he doesn't make his move too quickly. War Emblem has shown that he can adjust if a push is made against him too early....

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:05:16 AM
"Today's race horse is tomorrow's cat food.

^_-"

LOL!!! Amen to that. Horse racing... Uhh, it is a SPORT, but only for the horses, sorry. There is no sport in riding the back of something else, and there is no sport in racing either. It's a great hobby and car racing kicks butt! I love it, so exciting sometimes and all guys gotta like racing cars a bit, hehe, but a sport? Come on! I love pool. It's not a sport, though. That's like calling bowling a sport.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:49:18 AM
Dude I never said jockey's were athletes(though they do have to somewhat talented). I watch Horseracing for the HORSES!

Doc, I think you're thinking of Wiseman's Ferry for your speed horse. Medaglia d'Oro or Magic Wiesner COULD be spoilers(though Medaglia hasn't shown me much, but he has great pedigree).

I hope War Emblem will win in a magical way...either by a neck or by pulling a Secretariat(which will never happen). I wish I coulda seen that '73 Belmont live...I get chills watching the replay...and I know what's gonna happen. :) I even can do some of the call...as pathetic as it is I've memorized it.

"Secretariat by 12. ...Secretariat by 14. He's pulling away! Secretariat is alone. He is moving like a tremendous machine!"

Then the camera had to go to it's widest possible angle to get Secretariat in the SAME shot as the other horses. He was putting on half a length with every stride!!

"He's going to be the Triple Crown winner. Unbelievable! An amazing performance. He's 25 lengths in front!"

One writer correctly wrote..."His only point of reference is himself."

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:18:03 AM
I think they should race midgets on Great Danes. It would be far funnier, and the same effect :)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:32:23 AM
Pfft! There's nothing funny about Horseracing..nor should there be. :shootin

If anyone cares...this is how I see it playing out.

1. War Emblem(C'mon Baby!)
2. Proud Citizen
3. Sunday Break

I'll probably be dead wrong though. :)

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:47:27 AM
Is anyone ever right in predicting horse racing?

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:50:06 AM
Criminal Organisations ;)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:11:01 AM
Actually Kyle, I always win SOME money whenever I goto the races. Granted it's usually not much(I think usually around 5-10 bucks)...but considering I place bets on like 10 races throughout the day the fact that I even break even is a small miracle.

I'd say I'm an okay handicapper. :)

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:22:19 AM
Yeah, but it's when you bet the farm that it really counts! :p

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 09:25:01 AM
LMAO...I'm neither that stupid or desperate(or sure) to ever bet the farm. :)

Doc Milo
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:45:33 PM
If I get

War Emblem
Wiseman's Ferry
Proud Citizen
Medaglia D'Oro

I will have a very good superfecta (this isn't the only one I have, but I think this would pay well, with a decent shot of winning. I have a longer shot than this, but I don't think it will win.)

And Reaper -- Criminal Organizations don't know the outcome -- they just fix it so that they win regardless.

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:50:48 PM
Gambling is the one manly pursuit I could never get into. There's just something about it that doesn't sit well with me. Easy money, unearned gains, etc.. I know part of the reason is that I'm a NOTORIOUSLY cheap bastard, but it's more than that. I have no problem betting favors or acts, but money is something else. The only kind of gambling I've ever enjoyed are football pools. Those are fun, but dealing with a bookie is something I'll NEVER do.

Doc Milo
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:23:34 PM
I normally don't bet either, Jedieb. Just the big races, every now and then. I manage an OTB (Off Track Betting) so I see first-hand the horror stories of those that make gambling an everyday thing.

The bets I made on the Belmont total $13. And they're all straight superfectas (meaning I have to successfully pick the first four horses to cross the finish line.) I have never bet with a bookie (these bets I made are legal) and wouldn't even know how to go about it.

I do enjoy a good nickel-dime poker game every once in a while, like on New Years with the family, but that's about it for gambling for me. I usually lose (and don't expect to win today) so it's not really worth it! :)

Well, off to work -- to deal with the "left-overs" from today's race. (although, I'll probably show up early for some OT....)

Figrin D'an
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:24:26 PM
Well... no Triple Crown, yet again. Looks like War Emblem buckled one of his legs a little at the start, had to push to catch up and take the lead, then had nothing left for the stretch...

Sarava, 70-1, wins the Belmont.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2002, 04:29:43 PM
Yeah the biggest longshot ever, now that is something, I bet there is some lucky person out there who took that bet. Too bad for War Emblem I was hoping he/she do it. Oh well I am sure it will happen again one day.

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:09:26 PM
Yeah, I'm disappointed. :( I knew as soon as he came out late(before I saw the replay of him stumbling even) that he was in trouble. He had to play catch up which is not his game. Then he got pinned in for a good part of the race. He expended himself and after about the mile pole he had nothing left to give. Oh well....perhaps next year. :)

Still...he's a great horse, and he did himself proud.

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:36:19 PM
Although he probably has no idea what he's doing out there, except running as fast as he can. Like Forrest.

Jedieb
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:06:36 PM
War Emblem made a great run to get back into the race, but it looked to me like it took a lot out of him. Pretty good race anyway. Gotta feel happy for the bettors who took a shot on the long shot.

What time is the fight? I think I'll call my dad and see if he's going to catch it. I'll get info from him and ESPN2.

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 08:07:27 PM
hour I think

CMJ
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:47:40 AM
Kyle...you'd be surprised how much the horses know. I mean they might not be TOTALLY aware of strategy and such, but they train alot and run races. They know what's up.

Some jockey's comment on the times when horses make the decision of when and where to run(I think jockey's get too much credit...sure they are responsible for pacing and such, but ultimately it's all about the horse). They aren't dumb animals.

Some like to be near the lead. Others like to come off the pace. Some are arrogant. They really do have personalities.

Doc Milo
Jun 10th, 2002, 11:55:47 AM
A few people (customers) where I work had the Sarava to win. A few others had the exacta (which paid $2300) and one lucky guy had the triple! ($23000 -- after taxes he took home a cool $17,000) (Not bad for a $2 investment, huh?)

I have the cover to the Daily Racing form that you guys might want to see. I have to scan it, so I'll post it later. (Hint: It's actually Star Wars related!)

CMJ
Jun 10th, 2002, 12:28:12 PM
For picking that line up he DESERVED 17 Grand though. :)

Doc Milo
Jun 10th, 2002, 01:22:11 PM
Very True! I looked at one of the clerks and said, "12? Who's the twelve?" I didn't even know the horse's name.

One of my Superfectas was 8-5-9-11

The order of finish was 12-8-5-11

Talk about close!

Oh, and here's the pic from the Daily Racing Form for Belmont Stakes Day.

<center>http://www.drmilo.net/triple.jpg</center>

CMJ
Jun 10th, 2002, 01:37:41 PM
Wow, you got close Doc...pretty close. :)