PDA

View Full Version : Fan day on Saturday June 8th?

flagg
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:39:45 AM
I heard some guys at theforce.net talking about this. Have any of you heard of it? The idea is to get as many fans as possible to see AOTC this coming Saturday, and to bring as many friends and relatives with them as they can. I remember something like this being done for TPM, but there’s definitely more incentive now to support AOTC. If Sum of All Fears drops 50% this weekend, there is a chance AOTC could retake the number one position. What do you think? It would definitely send a positive message to all the SW bashers out there.

JonathanLB
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:50:07 AM
Bad Company will be there to snatch up the #1 spot, but AOTC really needs to hold onto #3 this weekend, ahead of the stupid Ya-Ya film which moviegoers should say No-No to, and then behind both Sum of All Fears and Bad Company.

I'm hoping this movie is going to fight as it has been this week and not give up after a bad weekend, hehe. A decline of 35% would be quite encouraging, but a 30% decline would be downright impressive in light of last weekend and even the weekend before.

I will be there Saturday, though I lost my faith in this making much of a difference at the box office after TPM's more publicized fan day absolutely made no noticeable difference. You know I am a sucker for doing what I can, though, and I will obviously be there Saturday. Perhaps that is a good day to take my dad to see the film finally, we'll see.

JMK
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:33:10 AM
Yeah, I'll try to drag some people out with me too. But if I get there myself, I'll be happy.

darth_mcbain
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:42:43 AM
I'll give it a shot to be there, but I've got a few things going on this weekend - may not be able to... Difficult to see, always in motion is the future... I don't think it would make much difference though. You'd need to get a LOT of people to go see it to make any noticiable difference in the BO totals. Here's hoping though - I would love to see AOTC retake the #1 spot.

BUFFJEDI
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:30:13 AM
IF you care about the Box-office intake GO!! if not it's all good . But I'll be there as well on friday (I hope).

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:37:18 AM
Well Saturday I'm gonna watch the Belmont. Hopefully War Emblem can win and thus become the first horse to win the Triple Crwon in 24 years(yes I follow Horse Racing too...as I've said many a time, there is scarcely a sport I DON'T follow).

I'll try and see AOTC again here soon though. I listen to the CD constantly trying to fulfill my desire to see it(I couldn't afford to go every other day, I'd like to, but it's just not feasible for me).

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 11:08:33 AM
I thought Fan day last time was the first month aniversary? Or am I just mistaken about that. I might go, it depends on what else I have planned this weekend.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 12:09:25 PM
You're right Carr...so it should be on the 15th if we follow that example.

flagg
Jun 6th, 2002, 01:37:11 PM
I think they bumped fan day up this Saturday because there's less competition for AOTC. Scooby Doo comes out on the 14th, doesn't it? Even if it's an awful film, it'll still probably have a $40 million opening :)
I'm happy to see AOTC again this Saturday and the one after. I can't help the U.S. box office, but I can give it a bump in the U.K.
:angel

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 01:51:48 PM
I was reading on theforce.net board the thread that Flagg mentioned and I think what they are trying to do is try to keep the declines low, which I understand, with them doing this this should help, its hard to say how much, I think it will keep it third at least I am hoping for a 14-17 million range for this weekend and hoping that it stays over 10 next weekend.

Threepio
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:13:40 PM
As long as no one tries to turn me into a fan. I'm much more useful as a protocol droid, although I think Owen was tempted to convert me into a vaporator....

Lady Vader
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:46:26 PM
*Throws Threepio into a junk heep.* :p

Well, if fanday is this Saturday, then I'll go and take as many ppl as possible with me. Though I'll probably only see it at the local theater with my family and my friends family. Nothing terribly big.

I still wanna have another SW party though!! :p

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:07:58 PM
Scooby Doo and Windtalkers both come out the 14 the later is another MGM film that will probably bomb considering they haven't had a film open with more than 15 million since Hannible. So I think that makes since, I think Scooby could open up as high as 50 even though I think it will be a POC and considered one of the worst films of the year.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:26:40 PM
I really don't think "Windtalkers" will do that well either.

"Scooby Doo" does look pretty awful, but I'm sure it will OPEN well. I think it will drop like a rock when everyone see's that bomb though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:31:15 PM
The previews revolt me, the movie looks so bad, it reminds me of the Flintstones but worse (which says how bad it is). Also doesn't the Bourne Identity open next weekend as well? I am still not sure how well it will do, I was thinking opening in the mid 20's and maybe if's any good have low drops but with all the similar type action films out there, I am not sure.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:39:08 PM
Yeah but the original "Flintstones" movie did pretty well if I recall Carr.

JonathanLB
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:51:01 PM
Yes I agree that Scooby Doo will open big, probably in the $40 million range, and it looks HORRIBLE, so I think it will gross about 1.5 times its opening ;) LOL, j/k.

The Bourne Identity is going to rock.

Windtalkers is not going to enjoy a HUGE opening but I hope it does well because it does look good. I see Windtalkers with more like an upper 20's opening or lower 30's.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:02:57 PM
Not really I think it made less than 200 million, I was thinking closer to 150, it opened big but dropped really fast, everybody saw how it stunk, I looked bad to me as I recall I waited for the video and was glad I did.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:13:03 PM
"Flintstones" grossed 130M or so in '94. That would be like(inflation adjustors help me out!) 165-175 now. Thats not like a MASSIVE sucess, but it is a solid moneymaker Carr.

Threepio
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:18:59 PM
*gets tossed into a junk heap* Is this a bad time for me to confess I really like Scooby Doo and I hope the movie isn't as awful as people think it's going to be? ^_^;

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:33:22 PM
I just noticed that I was surprised how much it made overseas 228 that is more than I would have thought. Still the movie was terrible I wonder how anybody liked it, I don't know of anybody that likes it today, the sequel kind of proved that, that movie made nothing.

Threepio
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:35:27 PM
The sequel was crap. Stephen Baldwin, enough said.

JonathanLB
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:40:07 PM
Hmm, I remember thinking the Flintstone's movie was pretty good. Not that good but it was decent. Never saw the retarded sequel.

flagg
Jun 7th, 2002, 03:08:14 PM
Threepio - cool icon! What does the blue threepio represent? :)

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:11:24 AM
The Blue Threepio is a symbol of grrreeaaaaat power.....

No, actually, it was a wallpaper someone found for me, I thought it was cool, so I cut it up in PhotoShop and made my sig and avatar out of it. :p

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:14:50 AM
Man...schizzo lady #2 is back to her old ways. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:22:19 AM
Who's schizzo lady #1???

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:24:21 AM
I believe Master Jindra is referring to LV/AB....

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:25:24 AM
Ahhhhh... and on that I have to agree :)

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:26:04 AM
You are correct 3PO. :)

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:27:26 AM
Of course I am. I am also fluent in over six million forms of communication, one of which, I'm proud to say, is "womanese." If needed, I will translate female chatter into easily understood sentances. :D

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:28:19 AM
To quote the immortal Leia is ESB.

"Shut Up"

;)

Threepio
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:30:21 AM
Why, I never!

:p

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:32:06 AM
If needed, I will translate female chatter into easily understood sentances.

/Luke voice

That's impossible!

CMJ
Jun 8th, 2002, 01:33:27 AM
LOL Marcus!

JonathanLB
Jun 8th, 2002, 02:19:28 AM
I'd have to use a different quote personally...

"That's impossible, even for a computer!" :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:57:35 AM
:lol:lol