PDA

View Full Version : Learning New Skills (Open to Knights and Masters)

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 02:41:43 AM
Oriadin had been studying hard as usual in the Jedi Archives. This time he had been reading a lot on different force powers. Which ones were used more by dark Jedi and which were used by the light siders. Which ones were easy to master and which ones were more difficult. There were so many different skills he wished he could master but he knew it would all take time, practise and of course determination. Patience. Patience was the key he thought to himself. One of the most difficult aspects of being a Jedi was to know not to rush into things. He wanted to learn everything at once but he knew he had to take a step back. Take things slowly. One step at a time.

After reading through the endless lists of force powers Oriadin picked one out and decided hed see if he could learn it on his own. His master hadnt been around for some time as she wasnt well. He picked one that was apperently fairly easy. 'Force Light'. Oriadin downloaded the information onto his data pad and left for an empty training room. After searching for a short time, he arrived at one.

--Here we go!--

He said confidently as he entered the training room. He closed the door behind him and using a switch on the wall closed the blinds. The room was dim but not so dark you couldnt see. Oriadin switched on his data pad and looked up the information to Force Light.

This power must be centered on an object weighing no more than one kilogram and within 10 meters of the user. When used successfully, a globe up to 10 meters in diameter is created. The object may be moved and the light will move with it.

Oriadin looked around the room for a small object. A small cup lay on the surface of one of the tables.

--Perfect--

Oriadin closed his eyes and slowed his breathing down. Deep breaths. He felt calm. He could feel the force flow through him. He was begining to be able to do this fairly quickly now. He opened his eyes slowly and concentrated on the cup. He really didnt know what he was supposed to do but he wanted to learn something new so tried anyway. He thought about the surrounding area of the cup, the darkness. He imagined light around the cup. Nothing happend. Oriadin wouldnt give up though. He kept thinking about it.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:37:05 AM
I had been told my Padawan was somewhere in the Achives. The first day back on my feet after a bout of illness caused by a virus picked up on Xa Fel, I still felt weak and a bit shaky - but I was keen to find Oriadin and recommence where we had left off. Quietly, I was well pleased with him - I had been told he was proactive enough to train on his own. It made me doubly detirmined to instruct such a good student.

There was a training room I passed that felt like it had an occupant. I tapped on the door, hoping I was not interrupting anyone.

"Oriadin? Are you in there?"

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:51:25 AM
Oriadin consentration was disturbed by a knock at the door. He had been there for some time without any success so it was a welcome break. Oriadin turned to see who familier voice at the door was. Oriadin recognised her instantly. He stood up to greet her.

--Master Q'Dunn! I hope you are feeling much better--

Oriadin said as he bowed. He had missed her guidence as he found it much more difficult to learn anything when he was on his own.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:13:22 AM
Oh this was a plesant sight for me!

"Oriadin! I'm glad to have found you, I have missed you much. Yes, I am feeling much better now. I have been told you have been training in my absence. You are to be commended for your dedication. Would you mind showing me what you have been studying?"

I was so glad to see my Padawan, I almost felt like giving him a hug

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:24:19 AM
Oriadins face lightend up as Helenias seemed very pleased to see him. The excitment spread through to Oriadin and so he too felt very happy.

--Certainly master.--

Oriadin turned back to where hed been standing and picked up his data pad which was lying on a near by table. He took the data pad over to Helenias and showed her what was on the screen.

--Id been reading about Force Powers in the archives and thought id give one of the more simple skills a try. Im not so sure it is that simple however, ive been trying all morning and got no where.--

Oriadin looked at his master with a slightly disapointed look on his face.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:45:53 AM
I had a look at the skill Oriadin was studying and I had to admit, this was a good deal more advanced than I expected.

"You wish to use the Force to create illumination? This is not that easy and I have not tried it for a long time"

My thoughts wandered to Marcus, who was at this time off with Xazor. My husband and a far more powerful Jedi than I could be. I knew he would be able to create this effect in a second, such was his control of the Force, a control that exceeded all other Jedi.

"And something I did not do, I have to admit. I would take you to Marcus and we would both be shown this"

There was a hint of recognition when I spoke his name that I recognised on Oriadin and this surprised me. Marcus had only revealed he lived to me three weeks ago and it was my impressin almost none of the Jedi knew of him or his past.

"You know of Marcus? How?"

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 05:07:53 AM
Oriadin nodded as Helenias explained that she had not done illumination for a long time. She went on to mention Marcus in her conversation. Oriadin gave a wry smile and his master instantly knew that Oriadin knew her Husband.

--Ah yes, Marcus. I had met with Xazor in the bar and grill one day. She had helped me to find a place to stay in the Living Quarters and I wanted to buy her a drink to say thankyou. She took me across to meet Marcus. We had a fairly long chat and ive seen him about a few times. He seems to be lurking in the corners of places, watching.--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 6th, 2002, 05:53:20 AM
Oriadin had met Marcus..? In some ways, that pleased me greatly. I had wanted to introduce Oriadin to Marucs as I was sure he would want to me this impressive young man. I hoped he saw in Oriadin what I did.

"Watching is what he does well. He has grown more silent and observant with the years and not much misses his attention. We were apart fro so long that he seems to be a much changed man. He seems to have many more burdens on him than he once did and the years of his life have been full of struggle and toil. Marcus told me he still has no wish to reveal himself to the Jedi, not yet. years ago, he was the leader of the Council under the name Darth Turbogeek and I think what happened in that time makes him reluctant to come forward once again. But... I am glad he is here, even if it is as a shadow. However, I dont think you want to hear me talk about Marcus, you want to find out how to make this power work. How about we work on this together and learn together?"

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 06:27:21 AM
Oriadin was particlaraly curious about Marcus in actual fact. He was a mysterious character. It seemed no one really knew him well. Oriadin decided to be patient and allow stories of Marcus to come to him rather than to persue them. Oriadin wanted to learn more about the ways of the force for the moment and so decided to work with his master to try and master illunination.

--Great, two heads are better than one. Im sure we can work this out together.--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 6th, 2002, 06:50:25 AM
"Good. But instead of here, I would wish to go up two levels. There is a room there that holds a different store of knowledge to what is here. It is the library of Master Yogurt and Marcus, their combined studies, much of which is not allowed in general archives. They both have long struggled to retrieve the lost teachings of the old Jedi Council, the one destroyed by the Empire. Marcus in particular knows much of what was lost and I once heard he knows a power known as The Death Touch. (Note - this is found on Starwars.com) Other archane knowledge that can only be accessed by Jedi Masters could be elsewhere. But, in this library, he or Master Yogurt may have complied ways to illuminate that are easier to accopmlish than what is in general archives. Will you accompany me?"

Oriadin
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:26:00 AM
A library of Marcus and Master Yogurts studies? Oriadin was very interested indeed to take a look. Oriadin was well in to reading Jedi stories, history and anything related to the force. To find out there was a whole other library of information was suprising to say the least, but a nice suprise. Oriadin tried to contain his excitement as he Jedi should be able to control thier emotions.

--Certainly. Ive never heard of this library before. I would be very interested to accompany you and take a look.

Oriadin made his way to the door and held it open for his master. He had the highest respect for all Jedi, especially Marcus and Yogurt so this was bound to be a very interesting experience.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:23:14 AM
"Excellent. This way please"

There was a stairwell to climb and a short hallway. The actual distance was not far and we came to a unremarkable door, that was set into the hallway. I touched the release panel, a cover slid away revealing a code panel. I knew the code as Marcus had given me it, the door slid away to reveal a small room that lead to another door. Now, if the first door was normal and ordinary, the next one was not. I t was clearly built to resist intruders for a long, long time. Bio locks, code and pass cards locks adorded both sides of the frame. It didnt take long for me to unlock all of them - adn reveal the neat and orderly files and terminals inside.

Oriadin
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:29:58 AM
Oriadin followed Helenias as she led him through the corridors. Oriadin was suprised by the number of locks and the security leading to the room. There must have been some incredibly important documents here he thought to himself.

Helenias managed to open the final door and they entered the Library. To Oriadins suprise it was incredibly neat and tidy. It seemed very ordered and structured. Oriadins mouth opened slightly in aw as he entered and looked around the room. There was a lot of information here.

--Look at this place, its amazing!--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 7th, 2002, 05:57:48 AM
I would admit, I was surprised too. Marcus was not tidy at all, but I had noted in the three weeks back with him, there were some changes about him. Maybe this was one.

There was a terminal that was ready and I brushed a hand over the inputs. A keypad with the letters of Galatic Basic adorned the side panel - signifying that this was not an entry terminal - this was a control a filing system. I touched the pad, entering a search of illumination. Impressively fast, the results scrolled up the screen a page at a time. But frustratingly, it was more to do with lights and glowrods than Force powers.

"An exercise for you Oriadin. Consult the Force and see if the correct search query comes to mind for what we want. Enter what you feel is right and we shall see what is presented"

Oriadin
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:28:21 AM
Oriadin looked at the entry terminal for a second then looked at his master.

--Ok then.

Oriadin held his hands just above the keypad ready to type something in. He took a deep breath and looked down at the keys. He entered in FORCE LIGHT. With that the search kicked in and in no time at all a few topics appeared. Oriadin looked down the short list and pointed to the third one down.

--This one looks promising master--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:02:28 AM
I read the title and summary of the article that Oraidin had pointed out.

"Force Light - a method to allow an object to shine and provide illumination.... excellent! Well done! Now if we read this one, lets see what it says....."

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:02:38 AM
FORCE LIGHT

Approximatly 20,000 years ago an unknown Jedi Master discovered a way to use an ordinary object to create illumination for a period of time. The level of illumination depends on the power of the Jedi attempting the act as well as the object itself. Live beings are not to be used in this exercise.

The best sized object to use is a metal rod, about 45 cm long. It is noted thast this power is the first step to the advanced power Empower, to give an object the same attributes to a lightsabre for a limited time.

Firstly, plaace you r object you have selected and place it in front of you. Concentrate on the connection of the object with the Force, feel and locate it. Next, you begin to imagine the object glowing. This may sound simple, but it is not, for it is not natural for an object glow. This is why a metal rod is easier - imagine it is a lightsabre instead. Transpose in your mind.

How does the Force achieve this illumination? Technically, you want photon energy to co-valese around your chosen object and then cause the required illumination. The Force itself does not cuause the light, but it is your mental control of the Force that allows the photons to group and mass. A truly learned Jedi Master has fine grained control, can direct the photons in his or her requirements. Otherwise, the photonic energy will have no direction and is sufficent for a temporary radient light source.

This is not a permanaent technique. The Jedi must hold concentration at all times and will not be able to do anything else if they are less than a Master.

MQD note - I prefer to concentrate my mental effort into a place above my palm and call on the Force to create a sphere of light. Thence, the light source is not tied to a object and is freer to move about. I disagree that a inatimate object is to be used, we are luminous belings and I find it is easier to use the Force to bring out that light within and around us. I also find the technical explaination somewhat falls short of reality. Yes, we need photons for light and yes it is by the Force these photons are energised and directed. To me, there is a missing step that is a mystery that I think the Jedi simply accepted as being part of this ability. I have also found that the brightness of illuminate is directly proporional to the Jedi's own understanding of what a luminous being is.

--End file 108ar44

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:07:08 AM
I fell silent after reading, thinking.

"What is your impression Oraidin?" I asked.

Oriadin
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:49:24 AM
Oriadin read the piece twice over. He always tried to make sure he understood things before commenting on them. On reading it a second time he read out bits which he felt were important.

--The level of illumination depends on the power of the Jedi attempting the act as well as the object itself.....Live beings are not to be used in this exercise.....this power is the first step to the advanced power Empower.....imagine it is a lightsabre.....The Force itself does not cuause the light, but it is your mental control of the Force--

He stopped as he got to the last section. Helenias could see he was reading this part over and over.

--Master, in this section does Marcus mean that he doesnt use an object at all? That he forms a sphere of light using nothing but the force? What does he mean where he says we are luminous belings?

Oriadin pointed to the appropriate line and looked to Helenias.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 8th, 2002, 07:40:32 AM
I had to wonder if he was intentionally writing encrypted. I had to read the words over twice more to really begin to make headway. Some parts made sense. Others.... I would have to contemplate them.

"I think he is saying that he believes the object is a focal point and not the actual light source itself. That makes sense. I think that if I read the intention right, he does not need a point like a bar as suggested to focus in on. That focus is where we would start. I think what he does and means is that Illumination is the concentration of photons, which then radiate out to create the light. I think"

There was however a more poiniant question Oriadin asked. That I could answer.

"We are not crude matter Oriadin. We are spirital beings, we are lights in The Force. What we really are is part of The Force. For a short time, while we live, we are shaped by matter and in some ways constrained. You see, the real secret to a Jedi is that we do not fear death, as we well know death for us is not the end. We live on, become One with The Force. Why should we fear something that will never touch us? Our flesh may crumble into dust, but your spirit never will know that if you keep the path of light. Life is the Force, makes it grow. The Dark Side is death and destruction, deciet and lies. It seeks to extinguish your glow.

I probably have not explained it well, I am afraid. But has what I said helped you?"

Oriadin
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:55:59 AM
Oriadin listend carfully as his master tried to explain the answers to his questions. It was clear that she didnt always have the definitive answer but this helped Oriadin more. It showed him that everyone is of equal importance. Someone can always teach you something new, whether you are a Padawan or a Knight. This was a learning experience for them both he felt.

--I have come to realise that a lot of the archives are difficult to understand at times, as this is. Your explination is was very good. I think I understand now. It has helped me, thankyou.--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:20:59 PM
"Good... I have to admit that I am not as learned on Force powers as other Jedi are my Padawan. I am also not the strongest with The Force, that I will never deny. I will never be a Jedi Master, so there will be questions you will ask I simply will not know. In those times, we will both be learning.

There are other skills however, where I can train you much. I am a fighter, that is my background. I also have the ability to see what I want over great distance. It is called Oversight. Both more importantly - I can teach you that the greatest tool and weapon, the best learning device is your mind. For now however, do you wish to try this with the metal bar, as suggested?"

Oriadin
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:56:00 PM
Oriadin nodded.

--We can learn this together then. I would be greatfull for anything you can teach me master. I am naturaly a good fighter but havent mastered using the force to help me. When it comes to fighting a Jedi, I really dont stand a chance at the moment. To improve my mind is my main goal to begin with I think. I think one must know when to do something and when not to do something before they learn how to do it.--

Oriadin smiled at his master.

--Since weve come this far I think we should begin with this Force Glow.--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 11th, 2002, 08:03:27 AM
"Good, good. I agree. Let also not that I not be as good as you are in certain areas hold you back. I have no ego that needs to be protected - now, let us try this glow out. And I have the perfect device to try it out on"

I normally carried my Force Pike - it was my preferred weapon. In it I had invested countless hours of trainign and fighting, learnig to use it in such a way that I would say I was deadlier with it than a sabre. I certainly had defeated Jedi with it before. Maybe it was not the weapon of a Jedi, but I liked it.

"Try attempting what was described on this" I stated, presenting the Pike to Oriadin.

Oriadin
Jun 11th, 2002, 08:25:02 AM
Oriadin took hold of the pike. He looked at it for a second, then nodded.

--Very well.--

Oriadin glanced back at the screen that contained the information about force glow again. Just to make sure he didnt miss anything. He placed the pike just in front of him, on a table. Oriadin cleared his mind and waited until he felt calm. After a few short seconds he was connected to the force. Deep, slow breathing. Oriadin began to feel the pike with the force. Almost exactly the same way he did as if he were to lift something. The force was flowing through Oriadin well now. This was almost the best hed felt. He focused. He thought about the pike lighting up. Oriadin thought back to the text on the screen...

it is your mental control of the Force that allows the photons to group and mass

He thought about photons of light, gathering around the object that lay before him. His eye was twitching ever so slightly as he concentrated hard. His breathing bagan to get faster and shorter, almost as if he were out of breath. Finally Oriadin looked to the ceiling and let out a sigh. He then calmed his breathing back down and looked straight ahead.

--I dont think I did it right, nothing happend.--

Oriadin spoke with a disapointed tone.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:17:42 AM
whie Oriadin was trying, I was thinking myself how I would attempt this. Unbeknown to most, my own powers were very, very different to the normal for a Jedi. Sometimes that seemed like weakness, but it just meant I had to approach things differently. My race had natural abilities that were best for 'preservation' and healing that I also had. I had a very pronounced sight in the Force and forseeing. I never understood why Marcus remained hidden from both, when nothing else escaped.

But for now - how to accomplish this Glow?

"Dont be discuraged Oriadin. Do or Do not does not mean you succeed immediatly. It means you will be like the primitive Raindancers who always make rain fall - they simply dance until it rains. Think on that"

I closed my eyes and reached out in the Force. I felt where the Pike was, then in my imagined it in Oriadin's hand. I imagined the Pike as a lightsabre - and in my mind I touched the button that would activate the "sabre", imgagined a beam of light coming from the emitter array, forming and glowing.

The Pike in my mind began to glow yellow as I commanded The Force to do as I had imagined. In my mind's eye, I imagined Oriadin's eyes reflecting the new light as it increased.... i trembled and gasped for breath with the level of concentration and force of will I was using.....

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:24:16 AM
Oriadin listned as Helenias basically told him not to give up. To keep trying. He nodded as she told him this. Oriadin was watching his master very closely. He could see that she wasnt overly confident and that encouraged the young padawan to persist. Giving up is not an option he thought to himself. He saw Helenias close her eyes as she reached out with the force. After a short time a light bagan to form around the pike. Oriadins mouth opened slightly. It looked very pretty as it glowed a yellow colour. Oriadin closed his mouth back up and smiled. He found confidence in seeing it done by a Jedi Knight.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:07:16 AM
"Does it work?" I asked, not daring to break concentration,even to look for myself, the effort involved making my voice tremble

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:24:05 AM
There was a brief gap before Oriadin answerd his masters question. He was still amazed by the sight before him.

--Ye..Yes Master. Its working perfectly.--

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:28:40 AM
I allowed my mind to relax, opened my eyes. Some of the glow was still there, but dissappated as my mind relaxed. I felt weak, I had to sit down. I found myself short fo breath.

"A.... a mom...moment." I panted. "That... was... not... e..easy. I .... hope... it will be... easier ... with practice"

I waved my hand, indicating for Oriadin to attempt again

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 07:39:45 AM
Oriadins smiling face turned to one of concentration as Helenias indicated for him to have another go. One again he slowed his breathing and relaxed until he could feel the force flow through him. He concentrated on the pike before him, as he did last time. He felt it using the force. He imagined the pike being a lightsaber and the energy beam comming out of one end. Now he stretched out what he was feeling with the force and gathered some photons of light. Oriadin was still fairly calm. He had a good feeling about this. Much easier than last time. He moved the photons of light around the pike and concentrated to keep them there. Some sweat appeared on the Padawans brow. He closed his eyes to help concentrate. A slight glow of light appeared arounf the pike. Very faint but noticable. Then after a few seconds it disapeared. Oriadin was still sweating and his breathing becoming deeper again. He opened his eyes to look at the pike and when seeing that it wasnt illuminous he let out a huge sigh and closed his eyes again. He looked disapointed as he thought it hadnt lit up at all.

--I cant do it Master

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:00:42 AM
"Think you failed?"

I was smiling.

"No you didn't. The Pike lit up faintly. Take a moment to regather and do it again"

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:29:58 AM
Oriadin had a slightly puzzled look on his face. At first he didnt belive his master when she told him it lit up faintly. He thought she may have been trying to keep his morale up but she was a Jedi, she was his Master and he trusted her. She didnt look like she was making it up. Oriadin wanted to belive he had done it too. He took a few moments to regain his strength and composure. He once again conected to the force. he followd the same method he did last time. He kept his mind clear and focused on the task in hand. He was determind to do this. He raised his right hand slightly as he reached out with the force. The photons of light were gathering once again around the pike. Oriadin kept his eyes open this time. There was a very dim glow around the pike. Oriadin fought hard to keep control over his emotion, his joy and he remained calm. He focused even harder than before. You could see the strain and the effort on the Padawans face. The pike was gradually getting brighted and brighter. It was fairly bright by the time Oriadin had lost the strength to continue. Not as bright as Helenias had managed before but Oriadin was very pleased with himself. Slowly the Pike dimmed until it was back at its original state. Oriadin closed his eyes as he took deep breaths and regained his strength.

He hoped his Master would be impressed.

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:42:49 AM
My smile was still there. I was most impressed with the speed Oriadin was showing in learning this new skill to him

"Well done Oriadin, very well done. You do very well. Now, I will take a turn..."

This time I did not close my eyes. I concentrated and this time the glow came easier and brighter. Now I had the understanding, the skill would grow. In the end, I suspected Oriadin would do this better than I can, but i was still pleased I was able to do this. With practice, I was sure the skill would be easy in time. It was still difficult now however.....

OOC : Send a Private message to you. Roleplay invitation

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:50:44 AM
Oriadin had now regained his strength again. He did not realise that using the force could be so draining. This would take a lot of practise to master he thought to himself.

Oriadin was pleased that he had impressed his master. Hopefully she would be the one to teach him many things so Oriadin wanted her to belive in him. To belive he could become a good Jedi so he could protect the galaxy.

OOC: Yeah, I got it. Thanks!

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:04:47 AM
OOC : Excellent. You, by the way write very well.

Oriadin
Jun 12th, 2002, 09:13:57 AM
OOC: Thanks. Its the first time ive roleplayed really. I do try! :)