PDA

View Full Version : An Epidemic of Retards...

Charley
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:05:19 AM
...is currently besieging Detroit, Michigan!

http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0205/18/d01-492788.htm

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:09:49 AM
Mexicans from NZ, gotcha :)

Sadly though, it aint just Detriot, its a US extremist-wide thing. Morons :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:10:27 AM
:rolleyes

Charley
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:12:28 AM
I was trying to figure out if it was a parody or some joke column...but they are serious! Jeebus, how on earth can these people even take themselves seriously?

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:15:16 AM
The only two things ever said I would even SLIGHTLY have time for are problems with the Tuskens. Otherwise, I'm fine with it all. Neimodians some asian, but it makes them sound different. Which is the point

darth_mcbain
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:26:20 AM
I think that comment in the article was spot on - about the movie being a big Rorschach (sp?) test for the audience. What do you see in it? Only what you want to see. If you're going in there looking for stereotypes, you'll find something to complain about. I've said it before and I'll say it again - "What's in there? Only what you take with you..."

Charley
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:28:08 AM
Tuskens??? WTF?

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:29:34 AM
You know, how the females have to keep themselves totally covered up due to their religion? Come on, why is that needed?

Charley
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:31:20 AM
Thats right...I remember all those other tuskens who decide to skimp down to their underoos in order to get a Tatooine tan.

Jeebus Fett, are you sure you're not from Michigan?

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:32:25 AM
Im not even going to bother replying

Charley
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:36:02 AM
Well I mean...I could understand if the other Tuskens were maybe kickin it in the desert wearing T-shirts and shorts...but every Tusken raider seen since 1977 has been clothed from head to toe...no skin revealing at all. If you put Jenny McTusken in a nice 2-piece bikini...THEN you get some flak...

...from damn feminists.

(Sigh) its the Kobayashi Maru all over again.

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 08:47:22 AM
long clothing, only a slit showing their body, only show themselves on their wedding...... Couldn't they have just made females look like the Males and a SLIGHT adaptation?

JMK
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:14:45 AM
Dear God, this is borderline revolting....
The women have to look different than the males. Clearly identifiable so we know what Anakin is talking about when he makes his confession to Padme...

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:24:05 AM
They got Twi'Leks looking very different, we're not idiots

Doc Milo
Jun 5th, 2002, 11:04:40 AM
I like how McBain put it. These people will see racism in EVERY aspect of their lives. In every movie, in every magazine. In a saturday morning cartoon -- they will see racism. I say it reveals them as the true racists. They are the ones that, possibly, see themselves as less than equal, and thus they project that others see them the same way. And if these critics are white -- then I'd say they should look in the mirror, for perhaps they are seeing how they feel about minorities reflected in these movies. Perhaps they that criticize and find racism in everything are the true racists.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2002, 01:03:04 PM
Well when are we going to hear the bitching about Twi Lek women because they're all barely dressed? It's easy to tell them apart from the men, just as its easy to tell the women tuskens apart from the males.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 03:05:12 PM
WTF is this article!?

And Fett...all Tuskens are ALWAYS covered from head to foot. So, I fail to see your point. Actually I DO see it, but the men are too, just differently. Even birds are colored differently depending on their sex. So. Glad no one brought that up.

And the thought that AotC is meant to portray CA's fear of illegal immigrants (did I Actually READ that?!)...BS! Utter and total BS.

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 03:12:37 PM
And Fett...all Tuskens are ALWAYS covered from head to foot. So, I fail to see your point. Actually I DO see it, but the men are too, just differently.
That'll do me :)

I didnt say I agree, I said that's the only accusation Id even slightly have time for. I cant even see the point of it, it's not as if a female TUsken had any place in any scenes.

Lady Vader
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:16:16 PM
Oh BROTHER. :headache

I couldn't have stated it better myself, McBain. :)

Figrin D'an
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:31:15 PM
(sigh).... It's so sad that these people are spending this much time whining about completely subjective material in A MOVIE ...

I'd be interested to find out if this particular group of "critics" convenes on a regular basis to discuss racism and potentially racist material... that might give a bit of an indication of the mindset of these people.

Ultimately, if you look for racism in something, you will find it, simply through associative necessity... no matter how thin the straws that are to be grasped...

Is there nothing better for these people to do with their time?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:37:11 PM
No, lets just stir up things that should just be left alone! Again again! *siiigh*

:mad Get a life! AOTC is no more racist than I am. And I'm not at all, just to clarify that statement. :D

ReaperFett
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:38:55 PM
YOu know it's bad when people on a SW board say get a life ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 05:42:33 PM
What a bunch of effing morons.

I might pass this onto the bros in NZ. I'm quite sure they will like being called Latinos. I can tell you Maoris are a fiercely proud race and that article is a true insult. The writer deserves a barbed wire flogging for such complete stupidity.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 10:25:05 PM
oooh, can I help? ;)

*puts Fett in a box*

Sene Unty
Jun 5th, 2002, 10:27:12 PM
I live in Miami, a mostly hispanic part of the country, and I have not heard one uttering of the absolute stupidity coming in from Detroit. This is the most idiotic thing I have ever heard in my life. I escpecially liked the way they linked the word "camino" with the clones. HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. Absolute filth. I agree with McBain, this is their own prejudices.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 6th, 2002, 07:25:13 AM
I meant to write this when Jinn Fizz posted this article at CCnet couple of days after E2 came out, but here's the letter I just wrote the author of that article...

------------

Mike,

I know that article on Hispanics and Star Wars Episode 2 is a bit old now, but I saw it just recently. Lucas is colorblind when it comes to casting. Has anyone pointed out to you that Temura Morrison is a New Zealander of Maori descent, and the accusers in your article were racist for saying "well, he looked Hispanic"?

The film has two actual performers whose ancestors are from Mexico, and they are anything but villianous. Veronica Segura plays Corday, the bodyguard who dies in the opening shot of the film. Yeah I know, she has no accent, but what, all Hispanics have to have accents?

A fellow who is a bit more identifiable in his role is Jimmy Smits, who essays the role of Bail Organa of Alderaan. Yes, Alderaan should be identifiable, as it was the planet blown up in the original Star Wars, and the original December, 1976 print novelization of the first film identifies Bail Organa as the man who was raised Princess Leia and taught her her core values and beliefs. We know later he was her adoptive father,
but the point is, Episode II says indirectly she was raised as an idealist by a Hispanic
male.

Do your articles always lack basic research, or were you just trying to be the first person to smack Lucas upside the head?

Anyway, good luck in your future endeavors,
[my real name and address]

--------

Live Wire
Jun 6th, 2002, 04:25:51 PM
I wrote commentary on it as well. Its absurd that there are people this bored looking for things to be easilly offended about. thats all I have to say on that...Im mad that people are this petty.

GL should put a disclaimer like was at the beginning of the three stooges

"any resemblence to any person living or dead is a damn shame!"

Gouyen Chee
Jun 6th, 2002, 05:53:07 PM
I've been thinking about this whole issue (Jedi costumes aren't the most neurally demanding things), and I think the statement about the clones looking Latino is not only racist but ethnocentric. There are lots of other "brown people (George Carlin's term) out there -- light-skinned blacks, Amerindians, Asian Indians, Armenians, Persians -- the list goes on. Thinking that these people are Latino -- *gak!* how short-sighted can you get?

Live Wire
Jun 6th, 2002, 08:19:16 PM
ever latino looking non latino should be offended by these easilly offended jerks.

oh wait that includes me....IM OFFENDED BY THESE EASILLY OFFENDED JERKS!!!

Taataani Meorrrei
Jun 6th, 2002, 10:30:56 PM
ME TOO, LW!

I look Latino when I get sun....I'm offended!

Oh wait...

I'm 1/16th latino anyways :)

Still offended :)

Live Wire
Jun 6th, 2002, 11:04:28 PM
we need to start the Im offended by easilly offended people movement.

Sene Unty
Jun 6th, 2002, 11:12:37 PM
I am so apart of that organization.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 7th, 2002, 03:42:59 PM
:lol Preach it, LW!

AmazonBabe
Jun 7th, 2002, 06:33:51 PM
:lol

You go girl!! I'll help rally the picket line!! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 09:41:07 PM
LOL!!!!

JMK
Jun 7th, 2002, 10:28:30 PM
I'll just come and hang out. :p

ReaperFett
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:22:42 AM
I once joined a picket line. Hancuffed myself to a lamp post, and then threw the key away. Then I realised it was a bus stop. Woops :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 8th, 2002, 11:54:01 AM
:lol

I'd come to hang out too, sounds like fun. :p

JediBoricua
Jun 8th, 2002, 12:08:28 PM
Now here's the irony, I'm latino, but I am as white as any saxon. the problem is that the ppl in that article are saying that because the clones are brown they are latino.....hmmmmI guess I;m not latino then althought I was born, raised and live in a latino countrie with both parents being latino.....shame....

Where do I sign up LW?

JMK
Jun 8th, 2002, 05:11:37 PM
Are we allowed to bring beers to the line?

Artoo
Jun 8th, 2002, 10:51:58 PM
Rolls around with a sign in his grasper arm that reads: I'M OFFENDED BY EASILY OFFENDED PEOPLE!

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:40:47 PM
Beer is allowed, although only certain kinds, and 1 bottle out of the 6 pack belongs to me.

Doc Milo
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:24:59 PM
Now, now, JMK, what kind of gathering would it be without beer?

JMK
Jun 10th, 2002, 05:46:48 PM
It wouldn't be a gathering. It would be a funeral or something exciting like that. Every event needs to have good beer on hand. And COLD. Not kind of cold, ice cold.

Darth Viscera
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:10:17 PM
Didn't we already have this discussion like a month ago, about the exact same article? Remember? It's why I created <a href=http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18954>this</a> parody.

Sanis Prent
Jun 11th, 2002, 11:22:59 AM
Define good beer. There's a right and wrong answer here

Live Wire
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:10:57 PM
we always have this discussion. Im glad to see my movement is getting attention. We need a website now lol!

Yes beer is allowed in the line but one goes to charley. And if anyone is a bartender we can set up for mixed drinks as well. Our next meeting will be outside the theatre of epsiode 3. j/k

*passes out sign up sheet*

I get the feeling this is a discussion that will contine for a long time to come.