PDA

View Full Version : About A Boy

JonathanLB
Jun 4th, 2002, 04:11:22 AM
Did anyone get around to seeing this?

I just saw it tonight and I was REALLY impressed! I thought it looked like it had potential from the trailers, but wow, it never looked that good!

The movie is almost non-stop hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing for almost the entire film, yet it still is a fairly serious movie with a message. WTF? That is really hard to do! I cannot believe they pulled it off. It's one of the funniest movies I've seen all year and doesn't rely on any immature humor, which is even more refreshing.

I thought it would be more strongly a romance film with some comedy, but I was totally wrong, luckily. It is much more a pure comedy with a little bit of romance. It's a romantic comedy, but not a chick flick at all. At least, I don't think so. I think guys will appreciate it more than girls in some ways, because after all the main character is Hugh Grant. He's great in it. His character is really awesome, lol, the best scenes are at the start where he is totally shallow. I see why this movie has good staying power. It definitely is a movie I'd recommend to others.

CMJ did you see this yet? I can't believe I nearly missed it, been three weeks and I finally got to it, but it was well worth seeing.

By the way, my AOTC viewing after About A Boy officially marked my 80th viewing of a movie in theaters this year! Wow. I'm on record pace, to say the least, hehe.

Changing Lanes was #50 and I loved that movie, so I hope my #100 viewing can be of AOTC also. I am pretty sure it will be (or I can make it be intentionally, I mean, hehe).

CMJ
Jun 4th, 2002, 08:33:18 AM
Yeah, I saw it. I thought I told you acouple of weeks ago to go see it. :) I had a similar reaction to the film. It was REALLY funny, and yet had a message. I saw some of myself(my loner tendencies) up on the screen...so the film really spoke to me.

As I said earlier(and you agree) it's much more of a guys film than a girls film. I think they mis-marketed it. I can't recommend it enough.

ReaperFett
Jun 4th, 2002, 08:41:04 AM
I was tempted to see it, but like said above, it was wrapped as a girl thing

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 04:12:01 PM
I haven't seen any trailers..going to see it today though. We have the guy perspective, I'll let you know what I think tonight. :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:24:26 PM
I saw it. I ...liked it a lot.

Hugh Grant was actually playing a SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ROLE THAN EVER BEFORE! *gasp* He's good at romantic comedies, of course, but it was refreshing to have him in something else.

(Silly girl sidenote: He was extremely hot in this movie! More than usual..I'm not sure what the difference was, but I prefer him this way to any other way I've seen him. Okay, enough of that.)

I did like the movie, thought it was well done. Toni Collette (?) is such a good actress. I don't think I could cry that much..well I know I can, but not on command. I have respect for actors/actresses who can cry like that.

And the little boy was so good. Some of the other kid actors in the movie were terrible, but Marcus was good.

I can't think of anything else to say, but I did like the movie. Sounds like a good date movie, since we can now see that both the male, AND the female will enjoy the movie.

JonathanLB
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:27:13 PM
Sorry CMJ, I must have missed your comments earlier about it.

Hugh Grant was enjoyable in this film, even though I'm not a huge fan of his. As I have said, there are very few people I will say "I don't like" as actors or actresses. I'm pretty neutral about them and I just give them a new chance each time they make a movie. I just haven't liked most of what Grant has done, unlike Tom Cruise who is so cool, hehe. About A Boy is really good though.

:)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:28:11 PM
How would this comapre to Four Wedding and a Funeral (In which I thought Hugh Grant was quite good)?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:29:32 PM
I haven't seen it. I liked it a lot better than Notting Hill though. :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:31:01 PM
That wouldnt be hard, Notting Hill was crap

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:33:10 PM
^_^;

Well there you have it.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:36:03 PM
Hugh Grant is quite weird at times. Some performances he comes off really well and others he is paaaaiiiinnnnfffuuulll. And yet, there aint a real lot of differences in his delivery or lines even.

He does however make the perfect English upper class twit

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 5th, 2002, 09:37:29 PM
*sighs dreamily*

Oh sorry, you were saying? :D