PDA

View Full Version : OOC Question

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:50:36 PM
OOC: I have a Small question about use of the Force Absorb talent. I was reading one of the SW books, I, Jedi, i think, and one of the Jedi, when he was stabbed in the chest, completely absorbed a lightsaber, Is that allowed in here? just wondering, because my charactor has a force reflex that allows him to absorb energy through the force, without him knowing it, i am curious as to if it applies to Sabers as well, not just blaster bolts.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:55:09 PM
O_o

this is a new one to me.

Hmm... it may be considered godmoding because you are absorbing the entire sabre... not just absorbing some of the damage caused by the sabre.

I always played it that way. I mean hell, if that was the case, absorbing a lightsabre blade, then sabre combat is pretty pointless....

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:03:12 PM
I was thinking of that, thanks.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:06:38 PM
Sure :)

Tis my opinion tho... others may differ

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:37:38 PM
Agreed with Navaria I do. However as far as the ability to absorb energy without even thinking about it goes, I would say that is definately God-Moding. It's just too much, to absorb energy takes a variable degree of focus and concentration. I'd say it cannot be done as some natural, subconcious reflex.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:40:46 PM
Yep, yep, agreed with Harry Potter I am

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:53:46 PM
Sorry, i dont think its god moding. Just a small charactor trait, besides, i had to figure out a way to explain the blaster bolt size holes in my charactors shirt when there wasnt a scratch on him.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:00:38 PM
I'd hardly call it a small character trait. :|

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:07:13 PM
Ok large charactor trait.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:59:44 PM
Force Absorb is a valid power, but like all Force powers, takes a small bit of time to get ready. I would imagine if it's a very, very strong talent, it would be "up" somewhat, or in the case of a Jedi Master, "up" all the time.

I would think of it like this - if you had your back turned and someone shot at you and you didnt sense it coming, your fried. However, if you did sense it coming - one of the Jedi's native abilities is after all to be prescient - then as a reflex it could be bought up or deliberastly bought up. As somethign that is just there.... no. Absorbsion does not work like that.

Now, to explain the blaster bolt, I would say that you had to have "felt" it was coming. I presume your playing this a lot like Corran Horn, yes? Thence you would need to describe "something" happening - like your mind trying to "swallow" the bolt or deflect it or "eat" the energy. There are ways to use Absorbsion combined with other Jedi talents that will make your writing of Absorbsion relistic and acceptible.

My other advice is, if Absorbsion is a very, very strong talent, make sure your weak in something else. Like Corran Hron had no talent in Telekniesis, but he could absorb a lot of energy. Something like that.

AmazonBabe
Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:13:15 PM
Good explaination Marcus.

And I know which part of the book you refer to, COTF. But like Marcus said: "...Absorbsion is a very, very strong talent, make sure your weak in something else. Like Corran Hron had no talent in Telekniesis, but he could absorb a lot of energy. "

I don't think we have any Jedi around here strong in Force Absorbtion. It'd be cool if you could impliment that into your character. :)

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:43:23 PM
Ok. I already had it planned that my charactor would not be strong in something, just not sure what yet. we will find out as he trains

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:46:22 PM
Thanks for the help on that.. btw.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:00:49 PM
n/p - glad to be of assistance. Just give a hoy when you need a hand

Sage Hazzard
Jun 4th, 2002, 11:40:11 PM
I'm actually planning on implementing that ability with Syrius Cline, as his main ability other than precognition. I didn't really want him to use telekinsis at all. So that was a good way for me to just not be able to use that, yet make it up in the absorbtion ability. Because I kind of wanting him to be very limited in his supernatural powers. Just swordfighting and some "sensing". Yet I didn't want him to be a bad Jedi. So I'm intending him to take on Corran Horn's trait.

In the book "I, Jedi", Corran's father does that. He's a Jedi Knight, fully trained, and capable of knowing what to do. If you remember correctly, he dies because of it. He takes the sabre stab in the chest, then uses the absorbtion to sap the energy from the sabre. The sabre then is able to ignite again, but the Jedi has enough power now to exact a last revenge. He grabs his enemy and flings him across the way, several stories high, against a solid wall, then drops him, killing him. The the Jedi dude dies. He used that as a sacrifice. So I wouldn't plan on absorbing a lightsabre too much...

However, blaster bolts are acceptable. Yet, I'd practice my character doing that a lot before using it. Bring it to the attention of your Master and practice on low frequency blasts. Practice it repeatedly and often, then it won't be god moding. You can also absorb fire and other energy. But remember, you need to concentrate and take time to set it up. Don't just do it on the fly.