PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Jedi?

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:33:18 PM
http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19445

granted I know this is part of his backstory but upfront... just for clarification... He has to be either a Jedi or Sith.. no using both sides of the Force and all that.

Or is his backstory not acceptable? I am throwing it out before you all before I post a reply to him. I rather ask first then go @_@ later :)

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:28:15 PM
One thing that irritates me in other roleplayers is when they assume things such as: "He could tell that he put the council on edge."

His backstory is acceptable and I believe Shadow Jedi can use both sides of the Force but as far as I am concerned there are very important limitations that should be set for roleplaying a Shadow Jedi. But nevermind that now I guess, after all, he's going to become a Jedi anyways, so I can't see why using both dark and light powers would even come into play.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:38:58 PM
Hear hear to Loki. Put the Council on edge???? yeah riiiggghhhhtttt

Shadow Jedi either dont exist or can not use either side of the Force well. You simply can not fence sit. I suggest anyone using Dark Side powers are slipping into the Dark Side - there is no balance of use.

AmazonBabe
Jun 3rd, 2002, 05:09:05 PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere about Shadow Jedi, and it made sense. The whole bit of using some light side powers and some dark side powers. But that was just it. The Shadow Jedi didn't have command of ALL powers, only some.

Unless this guy knows this... I dunno.

I'm curious to see how this turns out, however.

Also, what Temple is he entering? As far as I know, no one knows that Temple Avalon resides on Yavin... soooo... where is he exactly?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:22:49 PM
Has to be on Arcan IV, which would mean the "Council" is whoever is at The recruitment centre. No Temple on Arcan IV, just... well I guess a highrise near Yog's. Never actually defined, I always think some sort of base / highrise.

Chance
Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:34:54 PM
Wouldn't a 'Shadow Jedi' Be a Chaotic Neutral Character (Dnd terms..) and/or vigilante ?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:47:02 PM
More likely a Jedi slipping into full blown Dark Jedi status. I would view "Shadow" Jedi as a transition, which cant be maintained

Morgan Evanar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:38:36 PM
I was about as close as you could get to Shadow Jedi during my tenure at TSO, I think. Invitebly, you end up on one side of the fence or another. Walking the fence for an extended period of time is really friggin tricky.

Navaria Tarkin
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:59:33 PM
Okies ... I read everything and respect your thoughts. I was on the train of thought that you can't walk a fine line for long. Like Mara Jade... she was as neutral as you could get until she became a Jedi.

Yeah I know, sometimes certain posters have a knack for writing other peoples responses when there is no way they could -_-

Thanks ^_^

Morgan Evanar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:13:50 PM
I think if you are relatively weak in the ways of the Force you could, essentially, do both sides.

I kind of see it as an electromagnet hanging from a string, with two huge pieces of iron nearby. The more juice you have, the more likely you are to go to one side. If you slip even slightly, you end up all the way over on one side.

Am I just spouting jibberish tonite?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:35:18 PM
No, perfectly understandable.

Makes sense actually.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 4th, 2002, 12:36:59 AM
Okay, somebody get ready to find me some refrences, because I've got a question.

First off, what is the difference between Dark and Light side powers? Are there different tricks one can do? One wouldn't think so, considering that the same Force is used to accomplish both. Therefore, wouldn't "Dark Side" powers be the same as "Light Side" ones, only used in mal-intent?

I'd imagine that if he wished to do so, Obi-Wan could have Force-choked a few Storm Troopers in ANH just as Vader seems to enjoy doing to his own staff, but, since that is immoral, he knows better. I don't think it's a difference in powers, but tact and usage.

Also, the Force lightning exhibited by Palpatine and Dooku seems to be only another talent that the Force can exert, but there again, the intent was the deciding factor in what was Light and what was Dark.

Both sides appear to be able to do the smae things, so, I'd liek to know what makes one be able to say that they know how to use the Dark side as well as the Light. In my book, once you know how to practice the skill, your intent and usage determines whether or not it was Light or Dark powered.

Take Sejah, for example. He has had no real training before a week ago, but was a champion fencer because he was able to tap into the Force. Some times, when he was able to clear his mind and focus, he used the Light side to channel his thoughts into actions and win by skill that way. Other times, when he was riled, as he is apt to become sometimes, he used his emotions and anger to tap into the Dark side, and used his amplified strenght and speed to win in that fashion, He didn't mean to be either one, but used them in the fashions that came to him.

So, I'll pose my question again: Are there differences between Light side and Dark side Force powers?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 4th, 2002, 04:50:51 AM
The way you access them and the intent. The big one is the how you access them in my view. I also think some inherently destructive usages have to be access with anger.

:: Thinks::

Bugger, you got me thinking now.

The path of the Dark Side is anger and hate. The path to the light side is peace and calm. I imagine a Shadow Jedi thence uses eeither to tap into the Force. To me however, both are fundamentally different. The other big difference to me is centredness. A Jedi is unselfish and acts for the good of others, not himself. OTOH a Dark Jedi is selfish and only acts for his own self interest. I also believe that the Balance of the Force is where good and evil are mixed up - good becomes evil and evil becomes good.

One of the things about Palpatine in that he genuinely thought the Republic needed sweeping away, for the good of others. In some ways, he was quite right. (TPM novelisation). However, his methods were evil. Dooku left the Jedi cause he was idsillusioned with them after Qui Gon's death. He too wanted the Republic gone (AOTC nvelisation). Where the problem lay was in what he and Palpatine were prepared to do to wipe out the Republic and bring about their version of Utopia.

So I guess when I say Dark Side Powers, I mean the access method and the intent.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 4th, 2002, 09:39:12 AM
There are some abilities that really require either side though. Some darkside abilities simply require anger, and some lightside abilities require a lack thereof.

Sage Hazzard
Jun 4th, 2002, 11:32:15 PM
Well I always thought the Dark Side was the channelling of Anger and Hate. That the Light Side was rational and calm thought. Example:

Say you want to fight in real life. Getting angry and mad can usually give you a lot of power. It just seems to make you stronger. However, you lose focus. Another way is to calmly think out your actions. To keep a cool head and follow through with rational movements to defeat your opponent.

I'm dipping into martial arts here, which is what I think Lucas was doing when he dreamt up everything.

I read somewhere that the Shadow Jedi are Force users using the Dark Side for good. In other words, using anger to make themselves stronger, to do good deeds.