PDA

View Full Version : Parry, parry, thrust, thrust. (Open to a trainer)

Sejah Haversh
Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:08:03 AM
In the week Sejah had been on Yavin, he had learned much about other cultures, a fair amount about the way Jedi were supposed to live, a little about the Force, and virtually nothing about his lightsaber.

The Nehantite had been used to steel and iron baldes, each respectively heavy, balanced, and designed with form and fuction in mind. Some were choppers, some sliced, others parried, and yet more were combination weapons, or defensive in design. The lightsaber was nothing like he had ever imagined using. Sure, he ahd seen them on television, and one duel with them, but, before purchasing his used oen a few weeks before, Sejah had never actually held one. It was tricky, and fickle; seeming to laugh at him as he attempted to use it in the ways he had been classically trained.

The device intruiged him, and infuriated him as well. Sejah was a fencer, that's what he did, that's all he could do, he thought. If he could not use a new, seemingly simple straight sword, waht did that say for his skills? Sure, he could swing it about and perform a variety of standard maneuvers out of memory, but when it came to improvisational attacks and defences, he didn't have the weight and mass to count on throwing around and using to his advantage. It was like using a stick, but with no weight at all, and it bothered him.

Standing on a training mat in the gym, Sejah looked at the glowing blue blade, and adjusted his grip on the saber through his leather gloves, his paws seemed to be a bit too slippery being just covered in fur to grip the smooth metal well enough. In his heart, the mongoose wished to be able to weild the weapon as expertly as he did his tulwar saber, but, he knew there were tricks he did not know, and that he would need a master for the new device just as he needed his fencing master back home to teach him new maneuvers and techniques.

The problem was, he had no masters to approach and feel comfortable enough asking about lessons with the lightsaber, so he simply practiced on his own, and waited.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:27:09 AM
"No one to practice against?"

The voice was oddly accented, the form human, bearded, long dark hair, worn clothes - more like a traveller that a Jedi Master as he was. The Master came into the room, soft soled shoes making little or no noise as he stepped across the room

"I see it on your mind. Your thoughts dwell on your wish to be trained more. Dont you have a Master to ask these things?"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:00:39 AM
Sejah could smell him before he heard him coming, and turned to look at the master, though he didn't know who he was. It was a mixed blessing to have so keen a sense of smell, for, though you could smell things others could not, when there was a bad odor, it was even more powerful in his nose. Marcus wasn't bad, but he could stand to do a little laundry. His socks, it seemed, were the problem.

But the mongoose wisely didn't dwell on that thought, instead turning off his lightsaber and lowering it, facing the newcomer and nodding hello. "You can actually see my mind?" He asked first, then shook his head and held up a paw to dismiss what he ahd just said, "Sorry, usually when people try, they get a massive headache. And, no, I have no master; they seem to all have their hands full, so, I'm trying to train myself as much as I can."

Looking down at the tarnished silver cylinder in his paw, he pursed his lips, "But this thing isn't being very cooperative." The then smiled, as if it had a will of its own and was fighting him.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:57:54 PM
" I dont quite read your mind - I read your emotions more. From your emotions, a lot can be deducted. Emotions are not so easily hidden, but the mind can be locked off if you have a strong enough will or skillful enough with the Force. Remember, we are connected to all things - what you think and feel radiates from you"

The Master grinned. "I would not do a direct mind read unless I had due cuase. While some Jedi would pick apart a mind, I will not, even if I have the capability to. After all, if the emotions are easier to read, why not learn how to read those and deduct what is being thought about? Sometimes I can be wrong, but in most cases I will be correct. So.... you have no Master? Unusual, but not unique. Either did I. My name is Marcus Q'Dunn and I am a Jedi Master. If you wish I can spend some time training you in this"

He indicated the sword at his hip. "I dont carry this thing for the dramatic effect. Sword / sares play facinate me and I know many different forms. My own sabre has been modified to suit my own preferences"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:37:32 PM
Marcus Q'Dunn? The Marcus Q'Dunn? Sejah thougt as the newcomer introduced himself. His eyes trolled down to his sword, and looked it over curiously. As he inspected it out of natural habit, he replied, "I would love some training, Master Q'Dunn, and any guidance you can give me wou;d be wonderful."

Finally able to tear his eyes away from the blade, Sejah looked into Marcus' face and cleared hsi throat lightly, his tail swishing nervously behind himself. "I'm sorry about staring like that, it's just, I learned on classic blades, and they catch my attention. I'm a lot better with my tulwar than I am with this," he half-smiled as he held up the worn and beaten lightsaber in his paw. "You could say that swordplay intruiges me as welll; it's also what got me here, really." He laughed and shook his head as he realized how that could be taken as soundign like he was bragging.

Sejah didn't like to brag or boast, for he feared embarassment and rejection above most all otehr things. That also caused him to guard his thoughts and actions, oc casionally keeping him form taking chances that would benefit him in the long run. But, now that he was to become a Jedi, the mongoose knew that he would ahve to learn to let down some of his old guards. "You said you could modify sabers, how would you do that? I can change the intensity on mine so I don't accidentally kill myself or lop off a paw while I train, but, beyond that, I don't think it can do anything different."

It truly was a cheap, old model saber tha the carried, but he hadn't known any better, and it was the only one he could afford. In all respects, it was amazing that the weapon still even functioned at all.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 4th, 2002, 05:23:44 AM
He reached down and unbuckled the sword from his hip, throwing it aside so that it slid into a corner, out of harms way.

"This is what I mean by a modified sabre..." he flicked his cloak back and reached out with the Force, his long handled weapon springing to his hand. "Dual hand grip, one above and one below a Cortoris sheafed sword type shearing guard. The lower hold is for greater power, the upper hold for more control and speed. Plus..." His finger touched the activation button, the initially red blade sprinign to life with more of a sound of a flame, rather than the normal hiss. The blade itself held for a second, then began to colour strobe, from red to blue to green, white, yellow and then back to red.

"This is a truly ancient blade, which is named Athona. It uses three crystals instead of the one, all natural occuring ones. Flame gems, which cause the colour strobe and some of the other blade characteristics. It has a stronger gyroscopic effect, but the blade is length adjustible as well. Powerwise, it has only one setting. it was said this was the sabre of a great Jedi Master and has been passed down for generations after that"

Marcus held the sabre uwards, so it was eye level.

"A lightsabre can only be made with the help of the Force. This one has been made one step further than that. This sabre has had a truly advanced Jedi art placed upon it - Those who weild it with the Dark Side are destroyed. It takes a Jedi Master to be able to use this blade and mastery of it is very difficult. You are instead a symbiont with it first. As I believe we should be with any weapon that we train to use. It becomes part of you and you indeed become part of it"

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 4th, 2002, 04:13:14 PM
It was early and Loki had an hour before meeting with his master, Anbira, so like most days he ventured to a reasonably quiet, open space where he could do some stretching and warm himself up. Today he decided to do this inside as it was pretty murky and chilly outside.

As he approached one of the many training areas, he held in his hand three small, elasticated bands; he needed these to take control of his hair which was quickly getting out of control. He has been with the Jedi Order seven months now and he already had a thick head of hair when he first came to Arcan and since becoming a Padawan Learner he has been prohibited from cutting his hair. His hair was thick, wavy and dark, reaching down to the base of his neck; most of which he tied back in small pony tail leaving three small strands to the right side of his head. Then he used the remaining two bands for the hair which he plaitted and emerged just behind the base of his ear.

"Jedi have odd, frustrating hair!" He thought as he walked, "One day I'll have to have most of this shave short, but keeping my pony tail and padawan braid. How daft will it look when that happens and it reaches down to my shoulders!"

He turned the corner, having just finished fiddling with his braid to find Sejah and the man he had only met once, who had referred to himself as Elessar standing facing each other. It looked like Elessar was going to help Sejah with his lightsaber training.

"Good morning. I hope you don't mind my being here, I'm just going to do some stretches and warming up, will that be a problem with either of you?"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 5th, 2002, 01:31:15 AM
Marcus' lightsaber put Sejah's to shame in a serious way. The master's was a work of art and extrme grace, whereas the one Sejah held was probably the first attempt of an inept padawan at building one.

As Marcus demonstrated with his fanciful saber, the Nehantite looked it over and made the observation, "So, it is like the handle of a katana, long for both hands,a nd each end lends itself to a special use, whetehr it be poer or control? I think I get it." Placing both paws int he handle of his own saber, Sejah was able to hold it in similar fashion, but his last digit hung over the end of the cylinder. It was jsut slightly too small, more like a bastard sword than a true two-handed affair.

"Hmm, I'll ahve to take that into consideration; I used a katana sparingly in training, perhaps I'll have to work on that style to help ease me into this. One thing's for sure, it's no tulwar," He joked, but it didn't seem to draw a laugh from the master. Nervously clearing his throat, Sejah bounced his eyebrows in acknowledgement of a joke gone bad, but was then saved by Loki's enterance.

"Mister Ahmrah, good morning," He called over to him, waving a paw hello, "I don't have a problem with it; do you, Master Q'Dunn? Oh, and I didn't introduce myself, Sejah Haversh, of Nehantish."

Sejah had no idea that Marcus kept up a second identity when he called him by his real name in front of Loki.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 03:35:55 AM
"no, there is no problem at all... feel free to do as you wish Loki"

That out of the way...

"Much like a Katana, yes, exscept this is more of a claymore in two handed and long grip if we are to compare to swords, with the shorter grip more akin to a short sword. Combine both for true two handed sword. The best thing is that you can switch styles in the middle of a fight. I personally suscribe to no particular style of sword play, preferring to learn all and develop my own. Thence, any weapon I can use with proficency and with comfort. Now, for a Padawan I would recommend beginning on a shrter style, to learn control, for that is what a Lightsabre is about - control. You will have noted the blade is diffcult to move in a straight line, due to it's gyroscpoic effect"

He set his right hand on the lower hand hold, beliw the shearing cross. "Ignite your weapon and present your self in a defensive stance first"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 5th, 2002, 04:16:31 AM
Over a period of two and a half thousand years, the Rho'istaan tournaments where held on his homeworld. Tehy were tournaments of combat, with both weapons and empty hand skills. Each time they were recorded, and new moved catalouged. From those catalogs, the main styles of Nehantish martial arts were produced, eact being a relative of the Rho'istaan method.

Sejah had learned Slow Fang martial arts, and overall Rho'istaan swordsmanship. Pressing the button on his saber, he watched the blade extend in a flash,a nd then he straightened his posture and leaned foreard, his left shoulder facing Marcus, and leanign on his left knee, but his right arm and his lightsaber hidden from view by his body as he held it back. His left arm was raised,a n then the palm laid agaisn this right shoulder in and odd opening stance. Though it looked as if it left himself wide open, Sejah knew what he was doing, and considered it his favored defensive position.

"Ready when you are, Master Q'Dunn," The mongoose nodded, ready for a good lesson.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 5th, 2002, 01:07:52 PM
"Master Q'Dunn?" Thought Loki as he began stretching his leg muscles, lunging forward, one foot a fair distance before the other, placing both hands on the wall. "I had no idea he was a Jedi Master, Elessar Q'Dunn - interesting - I look it up in the archives; find out more about him."

The two continued talking for a while longer until they finally took up defensive postures, so they were going to engage in live combat; this would be interesting and would prove beneficial for his lightsaber training. He himself was only beginning to feel comfortable with a lightsaber but was progressing well, he was nowhere near adopting any kind of style, just the basics were all he was picking up for now. From what he knew, Sejah was an accomplished swordsman, but as he was clearly discovering, the Jedi's weapon is unlike no other.

Now he was squating low to the ground and stretched out one leg, with his ankle pressed against the ground, he applied pressure gradually, relaxed, then repeated. He would continue with this for a couple of minutes, occasionally alternating legs. Then he would start warming up. All the while he would keep his eye on the spar which was about to commence.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 5th, 2002, 11:56:01 PM
Hmmm... interesting defensive stance. Much like the one Helenias prefers when she's using her Pike. Always qsaid that meant you always had to begin your defensive by stepping backward if you adopt a fencing technique in response

He himself placed one hand on the short grip, removed the other, before slauting withthe sabre - and then striking with the speed of a viper, not attacking in a curve as norimal with a sabre, double stepping and thrusting forward, using his blade like a rapier, aiming to slide across the front mongoose's body

Sejah Haversh
Jun 7th, 2002, 01:45:48 AM
A thin smile on his face, Sejah did not backstep t avoid the incoming stab, but insted stepped forward and out to his right, bring his saber up and over to deflect Marcus's saber=tip down as he ruahed. Then , pivoting on his footpaw, the mongoose cross-stepped and came around behind his opponent quickly.

"Come now, I'm not a complete beginner," He said while then parrying another blow as the Master turned around, though he was still having trouble with his follow-throughs after each block, ans wasn't ready to take on the offensive yet.

After half his life in training and study of the saword, Sejah had become a fair eye for style and form, but Marcus' confused him. It was too different, and would take getting used to. He couldn't predict combinations yet, and had to focus on each attack in the moment insteadof being ahead, though his usual slight preminitions were beginning to kick in.

If only he had a better understandign of lightsaber movement he probably would have fared better.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 04:46:37 AM
Marcus was using the sabre in what the Old Reblublic Jedi would have called near Form II - much like fencing, concentrating on smaller stroke, keeping centre of body positioning, body back at 90 degrees and a wide balanced stance. One handed, using the upper hand hold for maximum speed, using more wrist and forearm to guide the blade. Simply moving fast and quick jabs and retreats, probing for a style and technique to adapt to. Definantly not the way a sabre should be used! Not his preferred method either, but one get a feel for what was obviously a swordsman who knew something.

He drew Sejah forward slighty, then shifted his footing in a blink also coming forward and under, sliding the sabre blade along Sejah's blade, using the other blade as a guide to the Master target - the Padawan's fingers

Sejah Haversh
Jun 7th, 2002, 12:59:24 PM
Gar! Marcu wasn't fallign into a patterm, he was a wild card, and a good one at that. Sejah thought as he found himself narrowly avoiding a few strokes. The mongoose tried to recall all the freestyle opponents he had fought, and finally came across the memory of a particular one who had bested him with a similar move as Marcus was tryign to pull.

He had narroly saved his paw back then by using his handguard, but knew that his lightsaber would not provide the same protection. Throwing one footpaw in a crosstep behimnd the other, the mongoose suddeny let go of his saber,a nd watched as Marcus's blade forced it up higher.

Snatching it out of the air with his left paw, Sejah used the reversed position of his footpaws to spin hard and drop low, swingign out hard near knee level at his opponent. His blade was set low, so that if he actually connected--which he doubted he would--it would not cause the Jedi Master to become a cripple.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 7th, 2002, 07:24:30 PM
The blade of the Master flashed in a circle and headed downwards in front of him, he stepped forward, to block Sejah sabre a few centimeters away from his knees - and now close enough that his free hand could lash out at Sejah with a backhand strike to his jaw.

(OOC : Yeah short reply - but I feel I do need to explain something. When I am sparring / fighting, I always leave if I hit out. It's you to judge if anything I do works and what it's effect will be. I will also will not write your actions unless you explicitly give me permission. And I have a question - you obvously have Rp'ed before - where may I ask?)

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 8th, 2002, 06:15:09 PM
OOC: I would think you could ask right here. :D

Loki found it difficult to focus on his stretching exercises, watching in awe as the two engaged in mock combat. Clearly Master Q'Dunn had the experience, switching styles occasionally and with his current style Loki seemed to become drawn into the sharp, precise yet graceful and elegant strokes that were conducted with masterful but lethal accuracy.

On the other hand there's Sejah who is displaying some remarkable adaptation and improvisation - no doubt influenced from his training on his homeworld - the occasionally unorthadox manouvers were a sight to behold; his dexterity and sheer skill with the weapon made it difficult for the young Padawan to keep up.

"One day I'll make my own lightsaber!" He thought to himself, becoming increasingly impressed and interested in the wonderous display of skill which was not only lethal but symbolically graceful and awe-inspiring; much like the Jedi Knights themselves. Now he was beginning to understand what Master Hicchoru meant when he said that during combat the lightsaber becomes merely an extension of one's self.

His stretching exercises were almost complete, he had focus mainly on his legs this time after his last stamina test didn't fit well with his leg muscles; now for a brief period of time he would focus on his upper body then would move onto warming up. So he placed his right arm up and flexed so that his right hand disappeared behind his back and his left arm bended from around the side of his back. The fingers of both hands interlocked and he occasionally, he would pull, stretching certain muslces in his left arm and certain muscles in his right. When he alternated this, his muscles would receive a full conditioning so that they wouldn't tire during lightsaber training and other exercises.

Six months ago he had little knowledge of how to keep fit and treat his muscles correctly, half a year later and he is a much fitter person than he could ever have imagined himself to be.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:46:22 AM
The fist connected full on with the side of Sejah's jaw, and rocked his teeth. It was mroe than enough to make him lose his concentration, and instead of reacting out of thought, Sejeh shook his head and snapped out a quick mid-level kicjk, hoping to connect with something.

PAssing his saber back into his right paw, he blinked and waited for the sparks in his eyes to fade.

(OOC- I've been using a similar style to what you describe for quite some time. When I re-invented the fight stlye on the C.A.S.M. *Crusade Against Stupidity and Mooching* I named it Fight Logic. As the namke implies, only do what is logical for your character in a fight, and no serious auto-hits or autos ont eh other person.

I didn't feel like having Sejah lose his fingers, so I pulled a real fencing trick, using your blade force to toss his up into the air, and open the gap between the two of us. The spin and slash is taken from bits of Kali and Arnis Eskrima. *Yeah, I love me martial arts, took some for a while, but did better in my head than on a mat*

I've been RPing for a bit over two years, but nowhere you'd have been before, and sadly, I can't provide the links to them here, as that we've had trouble with spamming on previous versions of the boards. But, I will give you soem links via e-mail, if you'd like.

I enjoy a good, honest spar, and I promise not to do anythign outside of Sejah's abilities, but he will use his abilities to their fullest extent. Hope all that made sense.)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 10th, 2002, 05:24:01 AM
The fastest thing Marcus could do in resonse to the kick was to bring his elbow and forearm down, sweeping sideways to deflect the kick to one side. He stepped away, bringin his sabre back to en-guarde.

"You fight well.... but always remember that you have more than one weapon in a fight. Fists, feet, knees. Use them. Your sabre also makes a good club if you find that you can not bring the blade to bear"

His wrists rotated his sabre in a flashy arc, circling the Padawan slowly.

"You are very good, I will grant you that. The Force flows through you and is strong with you, I can sense it"

And he has no Master? This is not right! He needs guidance!

He smiled slightly as an idea came to his head.

"No Master you said? Fight well enough and when you walk out of here you will. Now... attack!"

OOC : Hey, thought you had RP'ed before. You write really well. I myself have done a lot of martial arts and bo stick, some swords. And dancing.

Dont worry about the links, I can tell your experienced. No newbie knows how to describe situations and feelings as well as you have so far. I call what I do Common Sense and Fair Play - if it dont make sense and it's not fair, then it's not done. Now back to a most enjoyable spar :)

Sejah Haversh
Jun 10th, 2002, 09:30:05 AM
"...Use your body, not only your blade, young Sejah, and then you will be in control of it, not it controlling you." Master Rej had told him once, and Marcus' words brought it back to him.

As the Master circled him, Sejah backed up a few paces and began to shift his movement sideways as well so they moded in tandem, not as if Marcus were a vulture circling a prospective meal. His footpaws, clad in their sandals, padded in crossteps across the smooth floor, and his tail flicked in anticipation of further action.

"Thank you," Sejah replied as Marcus complimented him on his use of the Force, though made no response to the possibility of getting amaster, for he didn't want to jinx the situation. "You fight very well, it's been a long time since I was this challenged." He smiled.

Whirling his saber in his paw, though away form his opponent, Sejah watched him walk, noticing the way he shifted his weight, how his knuckles stood out as he changed his grip on hsi saber, and the way his face changes as he did so. Though he had only ever sparred humans withing the last week, Sejah was learning how to read them, thoguh he didn't realize that he was also slightly picking up on feelings as well. The Nehantite was ready for a fast-paced duel, but his reply to Marcus' call for him to attack didn't reflect that opinion.

"No." He said flat out, though still cicling, "It would be foolish for me to attack you without ample chance for a good strike, and you're not giving me that right now." he elaborated, lowering his saber and relaxing his posture as he continued to move. "You are quite experienced with this weapon,a nd I'm not, so you hold the upper hand twice. It would be as if I were an-"

Suddenly, having used his speech to distract Marcus, Sejah Leapt forward and brought his saber high over his head and swung it down hard and fast as the Master's head, though he had a second manauver in mind. His left leg tucked itse;f up, preparing for a fast slamming kick into MArcus' gut as he would block the saber using both hands on the handle to counter the momentum Sejah was building.

(OOC- Thanks, I'm glad you like how I write, though I really haven't changed much since I first started, believe it or not. The folks in that group didn't believe I was a newbie. And Dance, huh? I'll ahve to keep that in mind for future refrences during fights; I wouldn't have thought of it.)

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 10th, 2002, 04:17:34 PM
A new tool was being implemented by both combatants in order to shape the course of the spar, that tool was intelligence. Loki smiled, swing his lifted arms from side to side, gently twisting at the hips. He was taking in a great deal and watched carefully, happy to be so frequently suprised by the Padawan and Master engaged in combat. Now limbs were fly everywhere as well as lightsabers, both Elessar and Sejah displayed tremendous physical skill, with the ability to use their entire bodies when engaged in combar.

"Knowledge and wisdom are the greatest tools a Jedi can possess," He silently found himself agreeing with what was being said too, "A Jedi should be able to adapt to different scenarios with the ability to transform his body into a weapon; a weapon enforcing justice and protecting the innocent."

He allowed his thoughts to ponder on this, for a moment he watched the two without saying a word then decided to return to his warming up. The entire floor was padded to reduce impact upon falling which made this a perfect area to test his agility; the nine year old was now capable of physical feats that he'd only seen the older students do back in school on Chandrila.

He took two steps forward, then fell into a forward roll across the floor but when half way through the manouver, he slapped the palms of his hands on the matted surface and pushed upwards. His whole body suddenly rose upright, for a moment he was still, balanced on his head and hands, then with one more push, his head left the floor and up he went into a handstand. He exhaled heavily with that, for it required a great deal of strength especially in the position he was in.

"Relax..." He said with a sigh, trying to slow his breathing, all the while he could feel the weight upon his arms, the blood rushing to his head but all this he had to block out. This was his own test, he wanted to continually push himself until he was completely satisfied with his eforts. Each day he had to feel like he had accomplished something before retiring. This he had been practising all week and he had almost perfected it.

He closed his eyes and once he had control of his breathing, he began to flex his arms slowly, lowering his body until his head was just above the ground, he paused and that was when his arms began trembling. His brow creased under the strain and a bead of sweat ran into his hair, he was beginning to feel dizzy; this was when he usually lost his balance and fell. But not this time.

Eyes still closed, breathing steady, he surrendered himself and lowered all barriers. It was becoming easier and easier to sense the Force and allow it to flow through him, each time it seem to pass though his very being with greater ease and what a wonderous feeling it was! Within a few seconds the strain on his muscles seemed lifted, he had that very same feeling of weightlessness once more and it was from the very essence of the Force that his body gained it's strength.

Suddenly the little Padawan began lifting himself up and lowering himself in what can only be described as a vertical push-up. This exercise was wonderful for building upper body strength, increasing agility and balance whilst developing the ability to both endure pain and control it. There were a number of such exercises which he carried out which allowed him to develop numerous skills at once. The remarkable thing about this particular exercise is that once past the pain barrier, it is actually quite relaxing.

OOC: Don't mind me. I am just using this thread for training if that's alright. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:03:12 AM
His hands flashed up, hisc oncentration not wavering, keeping his attention not on the words, but in the Force and the subtle movements of his oppents, keeping himself aware fo a change in stance that would signify an attack. His own blade came up parallel to the ground and above his head... and deliberatly took the kick int he gut, bracing himself in the brief blink he had. The Master however bought the sabre's handle down - hard - onto the calf of Sejah as the rest of his body came down, dropping into a crouch. Keeping his sabre up at head level, his other hand touched the floor. His leading leg lashed out, aiming a leg sweep, before keeping the spin going, to give himself momentum to keep the same leg moving until it was behind him - and he was for some reason facing away from Sejah

Sejah Haversh
Jun 12th, 2002, 01:26:10 AM
The blow to his leg ahd hurt badly, but Sejah knew he was still being tested. Hopping on his other footpaw to avoid the sweep, the mongoose landed painfully on his other leg, and then pushed off forwards towards Marcus' back.

He knew the stance well, it ahd been one his own master had used to confuse, and then suddenly surprise others with. But, after a few years, Sejah finall figured out the counter. Jumpping off his other footpaw, he swing high and outside with his saber, a lash that would connect with Marcus' head if he wasn't careful, but as he landed, he stepped hard into the back of the Master's knee, forcing him to an involuntary kneel. It was a trick he had only performed successfully twice before, and he prayed that it would work in his favor again.

From his approach, it appeared that it would.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:28:35 AM
His sabre flashed to above his head, the tip meeting the sabre of Sejah. Deep in the Force, he sensed that he needed to move he leg ever so slighty to the inside - a very subtle movement that when the strike to the back of the knee came, the Mongoose's foot slid off to the outside.

The Master had now two choices. One, he could leg lift and strike Sejah's groin with his heel or.... he abruptly spun in the opposite direction to where the weight of Sejah was going, and smashed a swinging strike low. As the probability of a deadly hit was high, the blow was aimed so that the blade skimmed Sejah's clothing - The mongoose would be offbalance and going in the wrong direction. Even a suceesfull parry would give Marcus a nice advantage, the abilty to now come forward and attack hard.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 13th, 2002, 02:41:24 AM
A miss. For all his training, Sejah missed on the step-in. But there was no way Marcus could ahve known, unless,...Yes, the Force. Sejah had actually forgotten about the Force. He had also forgotten about something else.

As Marcus forced into him, Sejah could feel the heat of the rapidly passing saber as he was unable to block it. The Jedi Master could have killed him, but held back, wishign to prolong the match. Siezing what little opportunity he had, Sejah backpedaled in his stumbling shuffle, gaining more distance between them. Marcus followed well, and it took a flurry of quick saber pirouettes to ward hm off.

As he stepped back even further, one paw reached down to his coiled sash-belt, and rug the end out of its folds. In a series of fast arm movements, the mongoose pulled the nineteen feet of fabric off, and cauught up the slack while spinning a section of it in his left paw. It was weighted at one end out of an old tradidtion few understood anymore, including himself, but he did know that it made a good backup weapon.

Using it as a weighted chain, the mongoose reeled in the length he was spinning and then rushed in, his saber swinging. He was met with skill parries and return blows, but he was just biding his time.

Finally an opportunity presented itself. Whippign the weighted length of beltcloth out, he snagged Marcus' ankle, and pulled hard, at the same time deflecting his saber away. Grinning thinly, Sejah tilted his head back, and then whipped it forward for a smashing headbutt.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 16th, 2002, 09:53:54 PM
OOC : reply coming. Just been away for a few days

Sejah Haversh
Jun 17th, 2002, 12:21:51 PM
No worries, I'll be content to wait.

Anduri1
Jun 17th, 2002, 02:49:12 PM
Anduril noticed his gfriend having a spar and walked in to watch, his dark robes cut like the edge of a knife.

As the two fighters paused for a second and then nodded to Sejah.

"I would have a spar with you when you are done. I hear you are the best swordsman on the planet. But I see you are hard matched with the master here. I would have a spar with you Loki, while we are waiting. Would you mind if I used two sabres, I feel more at home with ambidexterity. He stood with both his arms erect by his sides for a moment, then, quick as lightning, produced Ithil and Anor his newly purchased sabres in each hand.

Both were dual crystal sabres, Anor coloured orange and white like a common sun. But Ithil was strange. It was silver like the moon, but there was more to it. There was a darkness there. It had an Octirion speck of crystal in it. One of he rarest crystals in the galaxy. The sabre was one of a kind. And to think he got it on sepecial offer on his way to the living quarters two nights ago.

He practised a few swings with both sabres, being careful not to distract the two sparers.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 17th, 2002, 04:39:13 PM
As Sejah worked on his attack, Anduril broke his concentration.

The flailing belt missed, so did his headbutt, and he ended up collidign with Marcus gracelessly. The spar had been too badly interrupted for him to maintain any form of recovery, and the two stepped away form each other.

Sejah was angry, he hated bein interrupted int eh middle of a spar, and this one was no normal spar. Marcus had said he would take him as a padawan if he were to fight well enough, and Sejah would do most anythign to get a master, especially one as powerful and revered as Q'Dunn.

"Sorry, Master Q'Dunn, I got distracted; it won't happen again,
he said quietly and politely, powering down his saber and tworling his belt back up around his other arm so it wouldn't drag on the ground. Turning to Anduril, Sejah knit his brows and spoke sternly, "Anduril, never interrupt in a spar! One of us could have gotten hurt, especially me for Marcus' blade is live. If you had been patient, I would have taken you on, but now my answer is no. Use better judgement next time, and learn patience."

Looking back to Marcus, the mongoose shook hsi ehad in apology, "I'm sorry, should we continue our round, or would you liek to wait for later?" He asked, open to both answers, though hoping to finish his spar. MArcus had eben his toughest opponent yet, and he wanted to prove himself agaisnt him, even if it meant losing.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 17th, 2002, 06:19:50 PM
Marcus had been well and truly caught out with Sejah's little trick - but a voice had spoken out, breaking the mongoose's concentration and what had been quite nice move that worked turned into a amateur stumble. The Master stepped away quietly, blade still lit and strobing as Sejah gave the newcomer a dressing down.

And one he felt that he needed to reinforce.

"Young one, Sejah is correct. Under no circumstances interrupt a spar, especially in this situation. The Padawan is being tested and I am sorely disappointed that we were interrupted. He could have been injured or worse if it had happened at another time. Against an opponent like myself, any mistake will be fatal. I have no wish to harm a student as good as this one. Be mindful of this, least you also find yourself in the same situation. Woudl you want to be interrupted if you were sparring one like me, a Jedi Master? If Loki wishes to spar with you, that is fine. See you do not interrupt us again until we have finished"

Now he had something to say to Sejah.

"You have assessed your mistake correctly. You should never have allowed yourself to be mindful of him unless The Force spoke to you and said his intentions were hostile. I will also tell you that you have twice made the mistake of getting too close to me in overextended attacks. Your trick with your sash however.... It was good. Very good. I am impressed. Let us begin again my Padawan Learner. You show much promise and I will help you turn that promise into fact"

He had already made up his mind. There was no way Marcus was going to let this one be Masterless.

Anduri1
Jun 18th, 2002, 12:46:51 AM
Anduril let his sabres retract and bowed to the pair.

"I am sorry. I knew not that you were in a real spar, I thought you were merely training. Please forgive me. It may be best if I leave, so as you can continue to train together if you wish.

Anduril puts both his sabres in his belt and leaves the room silently.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 18th, 2002, 01:13:52 AM
A sigh of releif escaped him as Marcus also reprimanded Anduril for his interruption; he had said the right thing. Watching as the other padawan left, he said, "I believe he needs to learn humility, ther was still a good amount of pride in his defeat."

It wasn't meant to be out lud, but Sejah had forgotten that it was Marcus he was talking to, and not Master Rej from his fencing school. It had been his job as First Apprentice to help train and discipline other students, and his mind had reverted to that mentality momentarily.

Realizign his mistake, the mongoose stowed his lightsaber handle under one armpit as he wrapped his sash-belt back around his waist, tuckign it in and then tugging on it to mkae it fit right. Retreiving his saber, the Nehantite listened to Marcus' teaching, and replied, "If you don't mind em saying so, you lose eye contact too often. I know that you may be using the Force, but, you should pay more attention with your eyes; it's how you missed my belt attack."

With a smile of light pride, Sejah cricked his neck and then rolled out his shoulders before igniting his saber once more, the blue blade glowing brightly as it hummed. Falling into a different opening stance, one more keyed to Marcus' fightign style, he tensed and relaxed his muscles to prepare himself. "I am ready when you are. I had the duty of first hit last time, whatsay we reverse for the second round?" A grin pulled one side of Sejah's muzzle up, ad his pink eyes sparkled merrily. He enjoyed a good spar, and Marcus could actually teach him something. In face, he allready had, and more than what he had just told him, at that.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 18th, 2002, 05:48:27 AM
Marcus grinned.

"I dont trust my eyes fully in a fight with a Force User. I reach out with the Force and allow it to guide my hand. I have not truly begin to tap into the Force and what it offers in this, as that is not fair. If I was using the Force..." He pointed to the far wall "My first move would be to put you through it. Others know I use my sabre as a distraction, to hide my real intent. Another Jedi Knight fought me in here, thought she won - to have the roof caved in on her head"

It was no boast - Marcus had lured Beldarine into a beautiful trap that time. Well planned and well executed. It was something he was known for.

"Things like that teach me not to rely on what I see, hear or smell. The Force I also use as well, but not exclusively as you managed to find out why. I believe you and my wife will get along fabulously as she is a brilliant weapons Master, probably my equal or better in some respects. She has beaten Force Masters... actually I'm not sure if she has been beaten at all. I know there is not a Jedi in this place who would not be tested sorely by her skills with a Pike and a sabre. But enough prattle for now..."

He drew himself into a cat stance, sabre held upright behind his shoulder. Deciding to spar with only his danger sense active, Marcus' eyes began to assess his Padawan's - indeed, he had decided to accept this one as his learner - stance. Obviously Sejah was adapting to the unconvential techniques Marcus used, so eh would for now use a truly traditional (Kempo) one. The first attack was simple - a double step, his front leg coming out but still with his weight on the back, striking to the midsection, using his back leg to generate sability and power for the stroke

(OOC : I'm sad. I actually went into the backyard and practiced with a short staff to make sure that was really what I would do)

Sejah Haversh
Jun 18th, 2002, 11:54:53 AM
(OOC- You practice too? Heh, I know Kempo, now get ready for a little Arnis Eskrima.)

The way his leg moved, the exacting measurement of the step, and the form in which Marcus' arms shifted was enough of a giveaway for Sejah to know precisely what he would do. Though he himself had been trained in Slow Fang, Master Rej had taught him much of the Rho'istaan, and there was a form much like Kempo Karate in the books of arts.

Second nature it had become to him to think like a Death-Shadow; to know where your three most vulnerable points were at all times, and three ways you could lethally stop your opponent as well. Thirteen years fo training had sculpted Sejah into one of the best fighters his master had ever seen, if not the best, but he had never been allowed to progress into higher rankign tournaments to test his skill. His heart beat only slightly faster than normal as a rush of adrenalin was released into his bloodstream, and his mind cooled for the feel of a fight again.

There was too much power in Marcus' swing to purely block it, so he only had two choices: Jump pver it and deliver a hard kick to his head, or...

Sejah cros-stepped sideways, heading in the same direction that the saber was coming at him. His left footpaw catching the ground firmly as he went to his right, he dropped the tip of his own blade and began to spin, lifting his saber up to catch under the blade of his opponent. As the mongoose continued his spin, he reefed on his muscles to lift his arm, and his opponent's saber up and over his head as he ducked. Comkign nearly full-circle in his spin, he reached out with his left paw to grab Marcus' knee, intending on pulling hard while lifting up.

(OOC- I don't mean to seem like I can God-Mode my way out of everything, but, fighting is the only thing Sejah ever put his mind to, and it became his life. He's only so good, though, he, too lacks discipline, for after a time, he could learn little form his old swordmaster.)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:10:14 AM
OOC : Sorry for the delay - will be replying shortly

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:11:45 AM
OOC : The problem I always I have is that if I cant visualise, I cant write. Visulisation is important to what I write, it gives me the base to write from. Now I have it visualised, I now reply :)

--

Ine of the things that Marcus did when fight training was to emphasis the importance of dancing. It initially confused Padawans, but as he showed the way dancing could give timing and also understand the relationships of movement, the flow of energy and kinetic movement. It was very hard to reverse a movement, it was faster and more powerful to understand the flow and go with it. But not out of control - you had to be the master of your movement. To flow. Thence, with his sabre pushed backards, he went with it, turning the movement into a clearing backflip - a move only someone in very good physical condition could pull off. It also helped the gravity of Arcan was lower than of his birth-planet.

Marcus came up in a basic forward defensive move and started a slow circle left, watchful.

I'll sit back and react to him for now. I think he's open against counterattacks - I will test this out

Sejah Haversh
Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:50:01 AM
The backflip was most unexpected as Sejah reached to snag Marcus' knee, and he ducked and withdrew himself lest the Master try something when he landed.

But no attack came, and so the Nehantite stood back up, ready for something else, though he was to again be dissappointed. Marcus only circled slowly, makig no move to attack; it was another change in tactic, and it was meant to test him in somehting. Sejah knew that much, for he did it himself to some of his own students. A breif smile graced his face as he thouht of being the student again. For years he had acted like a master, and now he was back in 'beginning' stages again. As a fencer, he would wait for Marcus to make some kind of slip, or give an opening, but as a student, Sejah knew he had to be the one making istakes so that he might learn form them.

It was a lot easier to make mistakes, though, when you knew what you should be doing wrong. The lightsaber still didn't have the balance e wanted, but that would be learned later. At the moment, he was supposed to mess up, though that would be prevented if at all possible.

"Impressive backflip, I never was able to do those," The mongoose said, following Marcus in his circle from a constant distance. Occasionally he would fake beginning a move, but didn't see his opponent flinch, or prepare for one. It was then that he remembered that Marcus trusted the force more than his senses, and Sejah knew what to do. His fakes had been thought about as just fakes, but he decided next to actually come in with a real swing, and then change it at the last moment.

With a huge stp-in, Sejah briugh his saber across in a horizontal sweep before quickly shutting the blade off, then reigniting it aftar changing its position to chop downwards from Marcus' right.

Loki Ahmrah
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:00:08 PM
OOC: Nice move Sejah! I use one exactly like that myself, it's simple but very effective. :)

IC:

When Anduril entered the room, Loki was still engaged in his training exercise and although he could sense a new presence in the spartan training facility but didn't allow his concentration to slip and thus continued to lift himself up and let himself down from the handstand position. It was actually the most he had ever been what some would desrcibe as being "One with the Force."

He wasn't exactly "One with the Force" yet he was open to things he never felt when he was engaging in everyday activities; one day he hoped he would be able to feel like this all the time regardless of what he was doing. The Force was indeed a powerful ally.

He heard Anduril offer him a spar and with wonderous, yet sudden agility pushed one last time and with a skillful flip from the hips landed squarely on his feet before the new face. Being all to eager to test himself against an ambidextrous fighter, he thumbed the training saber in his hand and was ready to begin when the padawan was suddenly reprimanded and left the room.

Loki frowned and deactivated the weapon, then turned to return it to the rack from where it had been alongside the other training sabers. With shock, the young padawan gasped with sudden realisation and looked over to the empty space on the lightsaber rack on the wall and then down at the metal cylinder in his hand.

"Wow!" He said quietly, then with a satisfied smile returned the saber to it's rightful place.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:14:01 PM
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiit....

In all his times of fighting, all those years, no one had tried that trick on him. Moving left to repel the attack from the left, the blade switched off - and reppeared from the right. There was only one thing to do - duck and roll away. The blade chased him and he was certain it did singe his side as he escaped. That was the only word for it. Caught out by a new trick and only reflexes to get out of the way.

The roll finished and he sprung to his feet, saluting with his sabre to indicate the respect for the move.

Never even considered doing that. I'll log that one for use later - definantly only something that could be done with a lightsabre

It was starting to feel more like fighting Lord Fire Blade - a unpredictable and intelligent swordman. Marcus circled at two sabre span's distance, watchful and considering. Even the best could be caught with something unexpected and unknown.

An idea came to his mind - risky... but it had a certain level of amusement and trickery to it. He smiled and began to move distinctly oddly. Stepping and seeming to stumble, he revesed and stumbled in the other direction, righting himself and then seeming to fall forward. His sabre slashed down, then circled across and right. aimed low as he fell away.

Lets see if he's seen anything like this before

Sejah Haversh
Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:07:40 AM
He almost had him! Gafife, he was close! Sejah nearly had the winning stroke, but Marcus was just too quick. Holding his blade with both paws ont eh grip, Sejah followed Marcus in hsi circle again, and then was taken aback as he changed styles completely.

It was as if he were not in full conrol of his faculties, and was stumbling around, slashing blindly. But he wasn't, it was rouse to confuse him. Sejah had never encounterd such a bizzare stlye ebefore, and nimbly scooting himself out of the way, the Nehantite danced around to gain proper footing. The stlye made little sense, and it took several dodges and blocks for him to begin to see what it really was, and an old thougth came back.

Calloway Sharr. He had been quite possibly one of the worst swordsmen ever in the history of Nehantish, and oen of the few to ever be barred from Rho'istan schools for he was so inept at offensive use of the blade. But he did have one redeeming quality, int hat he was never beaten in a duel. Strange as it sounded, and as pathetic as he was with his saber, the scrawny tailor had never been beaten. However, his style was so piteous that hardly anybody bothered to learn it, and it was nearly forgotten except in lore and a few manuals of one who studied his clueless form.

That had been a set of interesting lessons from another master, and a goofy smile crossed Sejah's face.

As Marcus fell towards him again, Sejah held his saber up and waved it around madly, then brought it down in the same haphazard fashion, though making sure to contact with the Master's saber at least once. Then he rammed into him, both of them hitting each otehr with sumbling force. With hsi free paw, Sejah reache dup and placed his palm on Marcus's face, his digits spread. As he mashed Marcus' nose and face, the mongoose also pushed against him again, then began to step on his toes. It was a horrid looking affair, but, it was serving its purpose.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:33:24 AM
Over the years, Marcus had his leg broken, arms, face, back in fights and yet he always continued on, for the thing he had learned was to ignore pain. Ignore it all and to fight on, to think clearly.

However, there was no need to think clearly now. Sejah had made a mistake, a bad one coming into a melee with an opponent with a lit lightsabre - to think of doing that, you had to had some way to have dealt with the sabre first. Shut it down, unhand it..... If this was for real, Sejah would be dead. The real trick was to have enough control so that this would not hurt anyone - to make him realise the error and learn from it.. Even as the mongoose was clawing at the Master's face, even as he was effectively caught in one place, Marcus whipped his sabre around lightning fast - and stopped it just a bare few millimeters of Sejah's open gut.

"I believe you can step off my foot now, if you dont mind"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 24th, 2002, 01:41:57 AM
He lost. In all actuality, he hadn't expected to win, not his first time. Shutting down his lightsaber, Sejah stepped off of Marcus' foot and backed away as the master removed his lightsaber.

Not able to look him in the face for too long, sejah rubbed the back of his neck as he said, "I suppose this would be a good time to say I never really liked that defense. It works great agaisnt a steel blade, but evidently not with these. It's called Calloway's Defense, and is so atrocious lookign that it isn't really taught as a good style, or allowed in serious competition."

Regainign a bit of his list dignity with that, Sejah huffed a sigh, and let his tail flick lightly. "Funny, I've not lost in a year or two, even to other masters. I thought it would sting a lot, but,... it doesn't." The saber in his paw felt odd, still. He wasn't comfortable with the weightless balde, it's lack of graceful momentum, and havign to fight it occasionally to bend it to his will. He was even uncomfortable being thee, training as a Jedi. It would bring him attention he didn't want, and possibly more attention than he should get. All he wanted was to be normal, and blend in where he could.

"I'm sorry, I should have known better than to use that method. I thought it might face off well with yours, but, it didn't. I'm not very good at it, either. But, you are an amazing fencer, I wish I had opponents like you back home. I'm sorry I couldn't offer you a better challenge." Sejah said, finally lookign into Marcus' scruffy face, and extendign his gloved paw in handshake manner to seal the spar's conclusion.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2002, 04:42:55 AM
Athona hummed for a bit longer, then the blade was powered down. It was clipped back to his belt with one hand, while the other wiped a trace of blood from his face.

"Yes, but you managed to show me a trick I did not know. For that I give my respect to you." Marcus likewise reached out with his half - gloved hand and accepted the mongooses paw in his fight hardened and callosed one.

"There is no need to be hard on yourself, for I have not seen anyone come in here and display the skill of hand and foot you have for a long time. You did well. And... I did say that if you did well enough you would not be Masterless when you walked out of here and I hold to that promise. I ask for permission to train you as a Jedi"

It was not right for Sejah to ask for training- Marcus was impressed enough he believed it was an honour to train one already so proficent. Already the Jedi Master had picked up this was a being who believed in honour, disciple and dignity.

Qualities Marcus believed in fully.

Sejah Haversh
Jun 24th, 2002, 01:23:52 PM
He had done it; he had proven himself worthy in a Master's eyes. Sejah smiled as he shook Marcus' hand tightly, and when Marcus offered to train him, the mongoose shifted his grip form the man's palm to his wrist, shaking on old fashion of his culture.

"Thank you, Master Q'Dunn, I gratefully accept, and am glad you think me worthy." Sejah said in an honest voice before letting go of his wrist, and then stepping his left leg far back and dipping his body so that his forehead nearly touched his right knee, his arms spread out and to the back in an old fashin Nehantite full court bow. Getting up as smoothly as he went down, Sejah nodded again to Marcus in thanks.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2002, 11:51:14 PM
Thge bow was truly unexpected - Marcus felt a flush of embarrassment. So he spoke to hide it

"Will add something else, so you are aware of what I expect - You will be able to learn independantly. I will give you guidance but you are free to question what you will and to learn all that a Jedi is allowed to learn. Now... do you have questions? What would you wish to know?"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 25th, 2002, 12:24:41 AM
It was better to get things out in the open now that he had been accepted as Marcus' padawan learner, instead of hiding thm to preserve dignity that would only be lost later.

His stance turnign nervous, Sejah pursed his lips before saying, "Will I be required to read?" He asked, looking into Marcus' face. He didn't need to explain for the tone of voice he had used was clue enough, but he went on anyway. "I, I can't read. I had no real education. I will do my best under your instruction, but, I think you needed to know that. But please, tell no one."

His face was one of shamed worry as he finished, tucking his lightsaber into the folds of his belt was the only real distraction he could offer.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:10:18 AM
Blink. Can't read? The Master glanced at the new Padawan, a frwon creasing his face. While was a skill that could be taught, it was not quite expected - it seemed all the Padawans who came here were all literate. This was goign to be a quite a challenge. There was however a highly useful marker to Sejah Marcus noted - the want to fit in, the want to be not a stand out for his differences.

The want to be normal. Sometimes, Marcus truly understood that. Not to be regarded as some sort of freak. A freak that could turn a being's guts inside out, but still.... Jedi were treated with fear. Fear for their powers, fear for the damage of the past.

"Don't worry, I wont speak of this to anyone. It will be only a minor problem and one that we can deal with. Being a Padawan is not just about lifting rocks with your mind and pretty sabres - its about life skills as well. A Master is not just expected to train one in the Jedi arts, I am also expected to teach you other things - ethics, morals, calm and peace. Reading and other education may not be be something I expected.... can I shall also instruct you on that if you wish"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 26th, 2002, 11:17:25 AM
Sejah caught the frown Marcus gave, and his heart sank. The mongoose felt stupid, and looked down on again.

But, as his new Master explained that he would be willing to teach him, Sejah's eyes lifted a bit, and he smiled slightly. "Thank you, Master Q'Dunn, that means a great deal to me. And I will do my best to learn to read on my own, as well." Straightening his posture, he continued, "I have allready encountered two other problems here, one major, the other minor. I'm not sure if it is just me, or my species, but, I can't recieve mental messages, or send them. It is quite painful when someone sends me one, also, occasionally even disabling. The other is, um, about lifting rocks. Last time I did I, uh, well, sort of blew it up."

Realizing how that sounded, he hastily continued, "Oh, I didn't do it on purpose, I sort of lost concentration for a moment and then when ried to keep it from falling, it, well, exploded. But that was probably my fault, so, um..." He trailed off, a bit embarassed by how that sounded.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2002, 01:30:44 AM
The expression on the Master's face was priceless to say the least.

"The rock... exploded. That's not exactly something I have seen or heard of before, Telekinesis misfiring like that. Would you mind if you gave me a demonstration? I'd like to feel in the Force why a rock would do that. Depending on what causes such a thing, you might find such a thing to your advantage"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 27th, 2002, 12:34:18 PM
Slightly nervous, Sejah rubbed the back of his neck and sighed, "Well, I could try, but, lst time it sort of blew up at me."

Remembering the incident in Xazor's class only made him more nervous, but he also had been practicing with banannas in his room, for if they blew up, it wouldn't damage anything. But he hadn't been able to concentrate to lift them more than a few inches or so, always thinking of them as food instead of a practice object.

Glancing around the room, Sejah caught a glimpse of a stack of "training rocks" in the corner. Retreiving one, the mongoose stood back at least ten feet from it and closed his eyes, though extendign an arm out twoards it, finding it easier to use it as a guidance rod of sorts. Clearing his mind, Sejah tried to fall into the Force, and in under a minute, he had. It was still a difficult task for him, but was becoming easier to come in contact with it, though reachign out to other objects through it was still quite difficult.

In his mind, he could feel the rock, and also feel the great amount of Force power that flowerd through Marcus. Reaching out to the stone, he knew its weight, size and general shape, though there was a goodly amount of static it still gave him. Lifting his paw, he concentrated hard and the rock slowly, very slowly, began to rise, though it shook and wobbled every now and then. As it lifted higher, Sejah finally opened his pink eyes, and breathed a sigh of releif that it was working, though he still needed to concentrate to maintain height.

"Wow, it's workign this time." he said aloud. But he spoke too soon. The static the stone was giving him through the force suddenly became clear, and the onslaught of information was too much to take in in one moment, and the stone began to fall. Binding his mind to the stone, Sejah tried to lift it again, but it was allready too late.

Three feet from the ground, the rock blew out one side, sending fragments of stone flying at high speed in many dierctions, and then the other half blew, though not as big. But this time Sejah didn't panic, and surged his control over the stone again. Certain fragments, and a fair sized portion of the stone returned to the point he had been trying to maintain height at, as others skattered to the floor, and one piece bit into his upper thigh like an arrowhead.

Then he lost all concentration, and the remaining pieces fell to the floor, and he grabbed his leg with a paw, wincing.

Though he had seen the stone as a whole with his eyes, his mind knew that it was comprised of millions of atoms and molocules, and was trying to lift it by those instead of as one piece. Certain sections had tried to retain height, and had escaped the stone by blowing it up in order to do so. But at the moment, Sejah was only concerned about the piece stuck in his leg.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 29th, 2002, 03:20:52 AM
OOC : Answering tomorrow

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:58:35 AM
At least he had been ready - expecting the explosion. He could feel in the Force what had gone wrong, leaped backwards before the explosion and avoided the shrapnel. As he landed several meters backwards, he had to admit that was hellishly impressive. Quite a weapon if used right as well. There was two ways this could be taken - to teach the proper focus or to expand on the ability.

Maybe even both. Worth thinking about.

But what was more worth thinking about Marcus realised was that there was a sensation of pain coming off Sejah. Suddenly concerned, Marcus ran up to him.

"Okay, I figured out what happened - but for now your going to sit down and tell me where your hurt"

Sejah Haversh
Jun 30th, 2002, 08:48:30 PM
It hurt. Moreso than the shrapnel that had hit him the first time. This time it had been once alrge, dagger-like piece instead of small pellets, and it was firmly lodged in his upper left thigh.

Winsing, Sejah began to sit down even before Marcus told him to, and applied pressure around the wound. Looking down at it, blood was allready staining the rim of the hole in his pantleg, and a section of the stone could be seen protruding from his thigh. With oen gloved paw, he tore the openign on his pantleg open wider, and then gingerly took ahold of the bit of stone that he could with his other paw, thugh he bumped it a bit too hard.

Instantly his face siezed up in a snarl of pain, his jaws clamped together and his hackles raising to expose his fangs as he winced. Closing his eyes, the mongoose gripped the fragment harder, and with a well-kept-in growl of pain, he pulled the offendign sharpnel out, then clamped his other paw over the wound to staunch the flow of blood that would start as soon as the stone was removed. Openign his eyes, he looked at the fragment and his leg began to hurt worse. It was nearly an inch wide, but only a quarter inch thick, and had been about three inches long. When he had first seen it, only a half-inch was visible, so he knew it had gone in deep. Thankfully, it had not chosen a positition a bit more towards the center of his body at the same height to strike.

"Breathign hard, Sejah's eyes were slightly deeper than their normal light pink hue because of the pain and exertion, but he was doign okay. "Ouch, that hurt. And that's why I haven't practiced lifting much stuff. They tend to blow up." He said, trying to force a smile.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 1st, 2002, 03:04:10 AM
Absent mindedly, Marcus reached out with the Force and called a medical pack to his hand.Opening it, he began to talk and with very fast and racticed hands, commenced celaning the wound.

"Keep still, this will do you well - better than a medical droid. I'm not exactly inexperienced in healing. I saw what you do wrong - you focus too small. You dont think of an object as solid, you think of it in it's indiviual compoments - its atoms. You seem to them try to grasp all these atoms at once, but can't"

An antiseptic / painkiller was spayed onto the wound, it was quite clear the master knew what he was doing and had done this sort of thing many, many times before. "What you should do is focus on the whole of an object and for now forget what it is comprised of. Although, what you do would make an interesting distraction in a fight. Having parts of the floor explode under an opponents feet.... I like that idea. Learn to conrol it and it will be effective. But for now... hold still while I get this wound closed"

Sejah Haversh
Jul 1st, 2002, 12:51:23 PM
Even with the painkiller, Sejah's leg still hurt. Wincing again as Marcus continued to tend to the wound, Sejah closed one of his paws in a tight fist, his knickles going white beneath his fur.

"I, I tried to see it as a whole, but, there was too much static. It was like I couldn't -ouch- see it as one object," he said, beginning to breathe a bit easier as Marcus began to finish, "And I'm not sure how I'd practice that skill, I mean, floors are expensive to build, and, I don't want to damage anyone's property. I just hoped I could do well enough with my lightsaber."

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 1st, 2002, 06:22:14 PM
"Try fruit. Lift one piece, then explode the other. It would give you quite a level of control over telekinesis - and if you want my opinion, sabre fighting is good, but it is better to have a bag of tricks up your sleeve. Hwat happens if you come across a Dark Sider who is your superior with a weapon? Or or sabre fails? What are you going to do, use harsh language? No, you must use every weapon you can weild."

A slight sizzle sounded as a slice of syn-flesh was applied to close the wound.

"I'm not into pureity of combat Sejah, although I can if I want. There are times I may wish to fight a fellow warrior cleanly, but in the main once I work out an opponent, I go for the kill and I do it fast. In the past and in a different life, I gained the reputation for ruthlessness and clinical methods. If I saw the opportunity, I would bring the roof down on you. Or used the floor. All this sparring is good and it is well to learn it, but imagine a Sith Master, who is equally skilled and more powerful in hte Force, if you had to blow the floor to survive, would you do it? Many years ago, I also gained the reputation for unconventional methods. First, I would wedgy my opponents as a painful distraction. Later, I used Frying Pans. Dont laugh, it worked. As a Padawan I defeated a Sith Master. You can go far with doing the unexpected, as you yourself found out against me"

Sejah Haversh
Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:45:02 PM
Sejah couldn't help but chuckle at the thought of wedgies and frying pans beign used in battle. Shakign hsi head, he had nearly forgotten about the pain in his leg, and replied, "Well, remind me never to ask you to show me some of your 'tricks' in person. And I'll try that with the fruit, lifting and exploding. Though I suppose I should invest in a good mop..." He left off, a grin on his face.

Taking a breath, the mongosoe then pushed up on his arms and rolled to his side, getting up and testing his weight on his leg, finding it didn't hurt as bad as he thought it would have. "Nice job, there, Master, feels okay, actually. And, perhaps later we can try another spar, I think I might have a good counter for that last form you used. I'll just have to make sure that I keep my eyes peeled for frying pans..." He grinned again.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 4th, 2002, 01:58:47 AM
"Thank you - I have had opporunity enough to practice medical on myself. And believe me, simple foolsih tricks they may seem, but amazingly effective they are. Yes, most definatly we will spar again. I will look forward to it - but instead of sabres..." He stretched out a hand and called to his palm the sword he had placed to one side befor ehte spar had begun "How about with steel. A Sabre is a Jedi's weapon and a sword is no match - except in one or two cases - but there is somthing about real swordplay isn't there? "

He clipped the sword sheath back to his belt, pausing to think, then a hand reached down and drew out Icefist - the sword his now dead nemesis Turbogeek had made. The blade itself smoked the air slightly and a small shimmer of frost began to appear on the super cold blade.

"It is a wonderful thing is it not? Such a weapon could bring awe even in the day of blasters. You would have to be stupid to bring one to a gun fight... but still, there not somethign about a true blade?"

Sejah Haversh
Jul 4th, 2002, 02:05:06 AM
Sejah watched the blade in awe, his own tulwar, as good as it might have been, suddenyly seemign cheap and pathetic. His heart sank once more with a feeling of inadequecy at the thought of sparring Marcus with a live blade. If he were to fail at his most prized skill, what worth had he?

But he kept up a happy appearance and smiled as he watched the sword. "It is a true beauty. We have no magics or enchantements where I come from. My tulwar is simply steel, though good quality, is it only steel, and is only as good as he who weilds it. But, I would like to fence again with a live blade, I am much better at that, I believe you will find," He smiled cocking his eyebrows a bit, "But, that will have to wait for later. It would seem I have a lot to learn, still, first."

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:46:39 PM
"Magics and enchantments....."

The Master's eyes looked up and down the blade, seeming to become sad.

"Where I come from, the First Born have what they call Art. It is the skill of preservation of what is created. It is an art that I have awe for. How they use it, I do not know. It is not magic and it is not The Force as I understand it - this sword was not made by ther hands, even if I have a blade that was - that one was lost years ago. This one.... was made with the Dark Side and it was an insane Jedi Master who did it. A long telling the story of Tubogeek is and one day I willl tell you of it, for in his fall a great lesson can be learnt - how the lust for power can take even the strongest. This blade is wonderous and cant be broken - but it is incredibly dangerous. It freezes anything it touches except for the maker. It is tainted and even if it is now mine, I would wish to rid the taint off it" He glanced up and down the blade again, saying queitly "One day... one day I shall make you clean Flame of the West. One day your glow will be restored"

The sword was whipped around and hten resheafed.

"I look forward to fencing with a live blade. It is where I started and it is what I most prefer using.... and I may add, your self belief lets you down. I feel your emotions are strong on this - your highly skilled already, why do you not believe in yourself? I do not saty that you should be able to beaat anyone or be better than anyone.... but you should be confident you can. Not arrogant, but confident, for there is a difference."

Sejah Haversh
Jul 5th, 2002, 02:43:11 AM
Rubbing his leg slightly, Sejah kicked at a few fragments of stone with his footpaw as he thought. He hadn't wanted Marcus to know how he was feeling all the time, it was much easier when all they could read were your face and voice. At least those he could fake quite well.

Who was he to say he was any good? Sure, he was a local fencing champ, but, what did that mean to anything? His house name was so low that he wasn't allowed to progress into mid and upper-level contests, and he was barred from the official Rho'istaan competitions. Sure, he could be the best in town, but who was to say that maybe the guy in another town wasn't better? Step off your lillypad, and you enter a whole swamp, one filled with other creatures than yourself, and many of them dangerous. Truth be told, Sejah feared being good.

All his life he had wanted to blend in, and not to be different. It was hard, not knowing how to read, and lacking basic education. His emplyment that he could secure went to paying for the occasional medical bill, mainly the roof over his head, and for his mother, as well. His job at the school paid little at all, often barely enough to keep him fed, and any spare miney was made in competition, where he excelled at the blade, but was usually pummeled in the wrestling category. Why would he be proud of himself, or feel that he was this amazing swordsman? Why the heck was he even here at all, he should have just stayed home...

"I know the difference, but, it's jut that I'm not really all that good, I don't think. I mean, sure, I'm okay, but, I just never got to test myself. But don't get me wrong, I don't doubt myself." He lied, though he was slowly convincing himself that it was true.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 5th, 2002, 08:11:48 AM
Marcus sighed.

"You already stated you dont believe in yourself. I did not say thast you should lie to yourself, be honest with yourself. Arrogance is not honesty. Confidence is. There are some things I truly value and that is honesty, trust, and friendship. If you are honest with yourself, you can see where improvement s need to be made and make them faster. Now, let me tell you something honest - what I see in you today. You are raw material that can be shaped into something excelling in being a Jedi. There is potential and you have experience with weapory that will do you well. I know that you will be a superior swordsman when I am done. I know you have Force potential just waiting to be unlocked. I also tell you I dont waste my time. I am a Jedi Master and I can see the future - what you are now is not what you will be in 6 months"

Reading emotions was not like reading minds, which Marcus now tried. He winced. That wasn't pleasant and he made a mental note not to try that again in a hurry. Now okay, Sejah's mind was hostile to probing, what about mind tricks?

"Sejah, would you like to stand on your head?" he said, waving his hand and bringing the Force to bear on the Mongoose.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 5th, 2002, 03:16:06 PM
Before he had a chance to reply, Sejah felt his legs going out formbeneath him and his body rotating. In panicked reflex, he reached his arms out and braced them on the floor as Marcus brought him to his involuntary headstand.

"Not funny." he grumbled, shifting his arms a bit to brace his headstand and he looked at Marcus upside-down. "And I told you not to try and read my mind, it hurts. But, um, now that I'm upside down what do we do?"

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 5th, 2002, 05:58:46 PM
So he's not immune to mind tricks.

"It was a test. You can't be mind read, but your open to a mind trick. That's strange, it's normal for someone who's mind is closed to others that they are not easy to mind trick." He folded his legs in front of him as the sat down. "You can drop out of the handstand, I wish to speak to you"

"You will have to excuse me, I am very direct by nature. This thing called tact is not a word or concept I understand well, even if it's a good thing for humans. Most humans seem to find tact and consideration good things to have. Maybe it's because I am alien like you that I can't work humans out sometimes. No, I look human but every now and then my true nature comes through. I will tell you I am a long way from home and I have not seen the sands of my birthplace for so many years.This place is too cold for my liking and the gravity is too light. Every step I take, feeling like I float reminds me I'm not like the others. Even on the hottest day, I still wish for hotter. When I see huge expanses of open water or see rain, it reminds me again. Ever been in a place where you could live 500 years and not see rain? Or a place where you could walk fifty nights and not meet another soul? Not like here, where you cant help tripping over beings..... so why do I tell you these things? Well, A Padawan is a student and his or her Master brings them up to level the Padwan could not possibly hope to aspire to otherwise. But more importantly, a Master is a friend to his Padawan and likewise in return. There is a bond established that is hard to break. Not like a Life Bond, or the bond between mates. Something however still deep and strong. So also remember, when you have self doubt, there is someone who doesnt doubt you."

Sejah Haversh
Jul 6th, 2002, 02:05:42 AM
As Sejah listened to Marcus talk about his homeworld, he was reminded of his own hot, sandy world. Comign down from his headstand, he straightened his clothign and rubbed his injured leg once more.

"You out to visit Nehantish someday, it can be like what you described in some places." He said, his mind beginning to wander before it re-centered ont eh subject at hand. "Master Rej told me somethign like that when he first took me in, he told me tokeep faith in myself because he had faith in me. I guess this will jsut be like starting anew in a different type of class. I will do my best, Master Q'Dunn."

Sitting down as well, he absent-mindedly checked his leg once more adn then wrapped his tail around beside himself. "You know, I would invite you to take a trip with me back to my homeworls, but, at the moment it would be impossible. I think it might remind you a bit of where you come from." He said, good naturedly.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 6th, 2002, 05:38:24 AM
Marcus smiled. Heat, buring sand and over twice the norm gravity. Many would call that a hell, but that was to Marcus that was a paradise.

"I would love to go Sejah, I would. And I would also like to take you to the place I now make my home, a place called Trinith. It is a garden planet, deserted except for a single castle that serves as my now home. A truly wonderful palce I will take you to - but tell me, you say you can't go back to your home?"

Marcus had one of those bursts of insight Jedi get had held up a hand

"No wait.... dont. That is for you to know and you alone"

Sejah Haversh
Jul 8th, 2002, 04:03:06 PM
As if to blow the situation over, Sejah smirked and said, "You have your own planet and live in a castle? Man, that must have been nice growing up. I lived in a third-floor apartment int he projects, back home. Closest thing we had to a castle was the old armory, which had been built off the base of an old keep. But, nobody but tourists went there."

His leg was allready feelign better, Marcus had done a good job on it. Rolling out his shoulders, the mongoose thought of home, and then got a faraway look in his eye.

"You know what I miss the most? The girls." He said, a slight chuckle on his tone, "I never dated much, or was a skirt chaser when I was there, but, now that they're gone, I miss females of my own kind." Realizing what he was saying, he grounded himself and changed direction. "But, you don't want to hear about that. After all, you've got a wife, and she probably wouldn't be too hapy with us talking about other girls."

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:26:33 AM
The thought of Sejah chasing skirt bought a bin grin to the Master's face.

"Ahhh, but I know Helenias does not mind, because she knows where my heart is. It does not wander from her and in the years when I thought she was dead, it still did not stray. Not for the lack of opportunity either"

The smile grew a bit dimmer while Marcus went back in his memories.

"The castle is not the place I grew up in, it is simply a place I accquired after an event that rocked the Jedi Order" Sejah was seeming more and more to Marcus to be a truly reliable and honest being. And for that Marcus made a decision. "Allow your leg to heal for today and rest. Tomorrow, we will commence truly in your training - but I also wish to make an invitation to you. Come to my room in the Living Quarters and join me for an informal dinner. We can talk of our pasts and what we wish for the future then. How does that sound to you?"

Sejah Haversh
Jul 11th, 2002, 03:40:47 PM
Nodding to his new Master, Sejah smiled politely and replied, "It would be an honor for me to attend, I will be there. And thank you again for taking me as your pupil." Bowing slightly, though not nearly as much as before due to his injured leg, the mongoose stepped back and waited for Marcus to exit first.

It was an old tradition he was brought up to know well. He never left the room before Master Rej unless he was instructed to do so. Though the training was different, something in him was glad to be a student again; the pressures of being a teacher were often more than he desired.

"Oh, Master Q'Dunn," He suddenly voiced, remembering something, "I don't know where your room is, or what time we should meet." At least with those questions he couldn't feel foolish, for he had no way of finding out the answers other than asking him directly.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:39:50 AM
"The time, it is up to you"

Marcus was about to exit when he turned around

"It is the room that was once was for a Jedi Master named Darth Turbogeek. It is the only residence with a double door entrance. Until then"

He saluted and exited.