PDA

View Full Version : AotC and Myth

JMK
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:29:35 AM
I stole this from TF.N

Suite 101 (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/16739/92258) has a new lengthy article on Star Wars from a mythological perspective, but be careful of spoilers if you still haven't seen the film:
There is an arresting shot in Attack of the Clones, the latest of the Star Wars prequels, in which Anakin Skywalker both literally and visually begins his descent into the abyss of the dark side. Going in search of his mother who has been captured by Tusken Raiders on Tatooine, Anakin is shown on the side of a cliff overlooking their encampment. The shot pulls back and reveals him crouching against the backdrop of the night sky, which is filled with stars. When he goes to rescue his mother - an action that will eventually lead him into committing a revenge massacre - he dives down to the desert below, his black cloak billowing in the wind. The symbolism should be obvious to those raised in the Occidental tradition. Anakin is literally falling out of heaven. Curiously, no critic has brought this up in their review. While the reviews have been more positive than they were for The Phantom Menace three years ago, the critics have yet to really come to terms with the Star Wars saga. They frequently use the word "myth" to describe it, but they pass it among themselves like something of a hot potato, never pausing to hold it for more than a second - much less to analyze it. Yet as George Lucas has always insisted, his space opera is a modern myth, and therefore it is interesting to actually review it as such.
The Greek poet Sallistius wrote that "Myth is something that never happened, but is happening all the time." This is the way it will be discussed here. The word myth comes from "mythos," which means "stories." So first and foremost, a myth is a story, but one of a particular kind. Once it was assumed that myth was simply primitive man's way of interpreting the phenomenal world. It was about answering certain questions, and giving meaning to a meaningless universe. Yet the renowned scholar Joseph Campbell - who had a tremendous influence on Star Wars - argued that myth was rather a metaphorical language. It was aimed not so much at describing historical events or giving meaning to the universe, but was a metaphor for the experience of life. All the fabulous tales of gods and goddesses, men and mortals, were really representing internal psychological states and conflicts.

When interpreted literally, myth is always going to look somewhat shallow, trite, and even nonsensical. Star Wars is no exception. Yet so many critics interpret it that way, as if it were prose. When read in the language of poetry, however, the symbolism in the saga becomes quite dense and rich, and there is something new to be found with every viewing. Campbell argued that myth was experiential, and so the real concern of this review is whether or not Attack of the Clones qualifies as a genuine mythic experience.

To begin with, it is fitting that Lucas uses the medium of film in which to tell his galactic drama, for myth has always been primarily pictorial. And indeed, the digital images that are on display in this prequel are unlike anything audiences have seen before.

Attack of the Clones offers up mysterious new worlds like Kamino, an entire planet of rolling seas and inhabited by strange creatures with long necks and pale white bodies, and also Geonosis, which is home to insect-like aliens who live in great hives. There is also a new side of the galactic capitol of Coruscant which is introduced, including a diner and a night club. Likewise, there is a trip back to Naboo, the beautiful green world of Senator Amidala, and also to Tatooine, a desert planet that almost seems like home to those of us familiar with the saga. The galaxy opens up with every film that is produced, yet the greatest triumph of Lucas and company is that things can seem both alien and familiar at the same time. This is ultimately the essence of myth.

I like that analysis of Anakin's drop into the Tusken camp. Things like that are what make SW so great and timeless!

Jinn Fizz
Jun 1st, 2002, 12:51:58 PM
A link to this article was also posted over the CCnet, and I must tell you, it literally gave me goosebumps while I was reading it. After reading such negative, condescending, ignorant bashing of the movie by so-called "journalists" and "critics," this article was a breath of fresh air. How wonderful to find someone who actually "got" the movie!!! :rollin

I had also never recognized the symbolism of Anakin leaping from the cliff, but what wonderful symbolism it is.

This article is a must-read!!!! :) :) :)

JediBoricua
Jun 2nd, 2002, 12:04:39 PM
The first time I watched it I clearly saw some greek myth when Obi Wan is fighting the multilegged monster (it has 6 legs, right? or maybe 8, like a SPIDER...HEHE). After he gets the stick from the geonosian guard and uses it against the monster it clearly resembles Oddysseus fighting some of the monsters he encounters on his quest.