PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Tournament Predictions & Results

Master Yoghurt
May 31st, 2002, 08:44:33 AM
In the opening match today, the ruling world champions France lost to Senegal 0-1. Ahhh... wonderful...

Which teams do you think will go far? My biggest favorites are Argentina and Italy. :)

Master Yoghurt
May 31st, 2002, 08:51:42 AM
Tomorrow matches are:

1. Ireland - Cameroon
2. Uruguay - Denmark
3. Germany - Saudi Arabia

My prediction:

1. 1-1
2. 2-2
3. 3-1

ReaperFett
May 31st, 2002, 09:24:17 AM
Gooooooooooooo Senegal :)

Master Yoghurt
May 31st, 2002, 09:39:44 AM
Yeah, France had no chance. No doubt who was the supreme team, lol. ;)

Hey, Fett, why dont you post that tournament prediction you showed me earlier? :)

ReaperFett
May 31st, 2002, 09:53:20 AM
I will later:)

Dutchy
May 31st, 2002, 10:27:49 AM
Goooooo HOLLAND! Goooooo!!!

Oh, wait... we didn't even qualify. :( :(

ReaperFett
May 31st, 2002, 10:43:16 AM
I was dissapointed with them missing out. I wanted to see Van Nistelrooy

JMK
May 31st, 2002, 11:18:56 AM
Weren't you disappointed to see that soccer superpower Canada not make it?? :lol

BUFFJEDI
May 31st, 2002, 01:20:40 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Italy all the way BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but I wouldn't be upset if Brazil tkaes it all ,Although I think Pele doesn't like there chance's(or atleast that's what I THOUGHT i read).

ReaperFett
May 31st, 2002, 01:39:19 PM
That means they have a chance. Pele's last two picks were Nigeria and Norway :)

Master Yoghurt
May 31st, 2002, 01:56:36 PM
I am allmost happy Norway did not qualify. They played so crappy, they did not deserve it. :p

Anyway, yeah, it was a shame Holland did not make it. And Pele's predicting is questionable, so we better watch out for Brazil.. :lol

Serious though, Brazil is always a team doing well, they are a very good tournament team, although they had some form problems lately.

JediBoricua
May 31st, 2002, 03:37:39 PM
Don't hold your breath on Pele, on '98 he picked Spain and we all know how that turned out.

I'm going to jump in the Bandwagon and take Argentina and Italy on the final, hopefully Argentina winning it all.

IMO is the best thing that can happen to that country, the people down there need some hope to take their minds out of the crisis they are living.

ReaperFett
May 31st, 2002, 04:44:28 PM
Good to see in the opening ceremony, nothing has yet beaten the US one with the funniest screwup ever :)

Master Yoghurt
Jun 1st, 2002, 08:15:19 AM
Todays results:

Ireland - Cameroon 1:1
Uruguay - Denmark 1:2
Germany - Saudi Arabia 8:0 (!)

ReaperFett
Jun 1st, 2002, 02:02:36 PM
that game has to be the worst game I have ever seen

Master Yoghurt
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:30:13 PM
The German game you mean? Well, I did not have the chance to see the full game, but I saw the goals, and it seemed that the Saudi Arabians had a terrible defense.

Sunday matches:

1. Argentina - Nigeria
2. Paraguay - South Africa
3. England - Sweden
4. Spain - Slovenia

Some exciting games today.. :)

ReaperFett
Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:39:42 AM
Of the 8 goals, only one was decent. All the others was Germany not putting any effort in. The hat trick was THREE unmarked headers

Master Yoghurt
Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:24:28 AM
Hmmm.. so what you are saying, the result is not telling us anything about how good Germany is, but how bad Saudi Arabia was? I would say, even when accounting for the poor defense, you dont score 8 goals against any world cup team unless there was *some* quality offensive play. Looking at the statistics, the Germans had 26 shots, 14 of these were on target, and 8 of these went in. They did not really need to win that game by that much. Most teams would just lay back and control the match, which puts lack of efforts on Germany's part in a different light.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:38:53 AM
Todays results:

Argentina - Nigeria 1:0
Paraguay - South Africa 2:2
England - Sweden 1:1
Spain - Slovenia 3:1

Hmm.. the results were just about what I had expected. Allmost a shame I have not put a wager so far.

JediBoricua
Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:34:13 AM
GO ARGENTINA.....

It's been hard for me these three days, I cannot go on wakinG up at 3:30 AM (or not sleeping at all) anymore....MUST SLEEP....

ReaperFett
Jun 2nd, 2002, 12:50:51 PM
Yog, look at it this way. ALL the Hat Trick goals happened because the player was unmarked, and the keeper didnt come out. Bierhoff's goal was a fluke, with the GK out of position AGAIN. It wasnt even strong enough to be a danger.

So, 1/2 the goals shouldnt have even been shots

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 20th, 2002, 11:59:13 PM
This thread died so I decided to raise it with the big match in about 5 hours, so does USA stand a chance against the Germans, I am thinking we will lose just because Germany is so great though nothing would really surprise me at this point with S. Korea beating favorite Italy.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:42:52 AM
Oh, up it now why dont you!

:)

US, Spain and Senegal to go through. Always one upset :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:23:06 AM
Oh I am sorry about England Reaper I am sure there are a lot of people drinking in the pubs today. Right now Germany is up 1-0 but it was close the U.S kept attacking but Germany scored on a free kick. The U.S has been very scrappy but Germany looks very talented and it will be difficult but who knows England was up 1-0 early yesterday.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:45:29 AM
Germany 1 - 0 it is. Not a bad game, USA were playing with a lot of passion, but Germany just simply too good.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:22:54 PM
Hey I really got into the game and I am not a soccer fan (or football for those in the rest of the world) I thought sure that goal at the end was going to go in and was disapointed when it didn't. The players have nothing to be ashamed of they played great really they got farther than anybody thought and the fartherest since 1930. With this victory I think it will be Germany and Brazil in the finals and Germany will win, I think they are the best team from what I can tell at the moment.

JediBoricua
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:14:21 PM
LOUSY KOREANS BUYING THEIR WAY TO THE CUP....

GERMANY IS OFICIALLY MY FAVORITE TEAM NOW!

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:31:13 PM
The first goal WAS a shirt pull.

Bear in mind, the host always get favouratism. 98, you could see they wanted France-Brazil. 94, the US got a few helping hands. It just happens

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:41:51 PM
A) Italy got what they deserved against Korea. Score a goal and then boring defend. They are a bunch of prima donna and in some way, I take satisfaction a ref decision got rid of them.

JediBoricua
Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:04:18 PM
Italy has been playing that game for decade Marcus, they are a boring team to watch.

But Spain completely dominated that game and the second goal was very clear, the ball was ages from being outside.....it was pathetic.

ReaperFett
Jun 23rd, 2002, 04:45:14 PM
It was clear from your view, not the referee running up or the linesman. The SPaniard obscured the linesmans view, he had to call the shot, he made a mistake.