PDA

View Full Version : Harry potter

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 10:06:16 PM
Any word on how the sales on DVD/Vhs going ? I expect it to do well,but than agian maybe that little wizard has lost his magic.I personally hope so :)

imported_QuiGonJ
May 30th, 2002, 10:21:53 PM
Hate to disappoint you, but it did one million units in Japan alone in under 2 weeks.

It's selling quite fast and furious, and might even factor into why the box office took such a hit the other day.

I still never have understood the hostility here towards Mr. Potter. I really like the books. I think they are good reads, and they touch on things like depression and how not everyone is popular all the time and have some really good messages in them on those subjects.

I also think the film was a nice abridgement of the first book, and was well acted and fun.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 10:34:24 PM
You know that could be why Tuesday and Wed were so low everybody was renting Harry Potter or buying it and watching it. I think it is good movie not as good as LOTR but still good for kids.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 10:36:21 PM
I thought so:(

I don't know why potter irk's me so he just does.I don't know maybe I'm not young enough to like it , and not old enough to like it. I guess I'm stuck in the middle . I guess when I turn 34 I'll get it , ah, Qui-gon ;) j/k

imported_QuiGonJ
May 30th, 2002, 10:44:21 PM
I've liked em since I was 32... just kinda decided to try the first one for the heck of it, and decided I liked it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 10:47:56 PM
Well I like fantasy so that is probably why I liked the first movie, I read the book afterwards, I am debating about reading the second book before the movie, probably should might make my decision to see the movie easier.

JMK
May 30th, 2002, 10:51:40 PM
Well I think we Star Wars fans in particular hate HP because it gets the same kind of SW treatment, even though it has only been around a few years and will likely be forgotten in a few more years from now. I'm not speaking for myself, as I don't give a rat's poopchute about him, but it's just a sentiment that I get around here, and from other SW fans.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 10:54:26 PM
Have to say it got a lot of hype, the first film I mean, not sure about the second film I am thinking it will get less hype and make less money probably somewhere between 60-80 for the 3 days and end up making 275-300 domestically that would be my guess I still think Potter is pretty popular of course will it still be popular when they get to the fourth film who knows.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 10:59:40 PM
Hope Qui- gon know's I was just kidding:):):):):):)

I'm betting tha HP does Just ok with the next movie, But than agian I thought AOTC would make 550 mil:(

JonathanLB
May 31st, 2002, 03:09:37 AM
The writing in the first Harry Potter book was so horribly awful I couldn't even continue reading past about 100 pages. Ok, yeah she is a good storyteller, that much is obvious because people all over the world love the story, and it's a charming kids book series and all, but she needs to learn how to write. The conversationalist, horrid writing just irked me to no end. I am sorry, as a writer I read critically because if I don't criticize my own work, I don't get high quality. I read everything the way an editor would because it's required of my own writing, so when I have to put up with such, well, poor quality writing in a published book it drives me nuts. I honestly wish I could just enjoy it for the story, and many people are able to get over the lousy writing, but truth is, I cannot no matter how hard I try.

I did hear that the writing improves after the first book and that by the third and fourth she actually writes a lot more solidly. If that is true, well more power to her, but dang...

I'll stick with Michael Crichton, thanks. At least he's incredibly intelligent and knows what he's talking about in addition to being extremely well educated in writing.

As for Harry Potter the movie, well yeah it follows the first book, but the director has no creativity at all. He seems like a hack to me. He just follows exactly what is in the book, unlike Jackson with LOTR who not only followed the book *fairly* closely but also took liberties that made the movie more effective and he really showed what a great director he is. The guy who did Potter is a pawn, it's that simple. It's too little kiddie for most teenagers too, whereas Star Wars is also rated PG and teenagers love it. My friends go wild over any Star Wars film, and even my best friend who loves most movies he sees was rather embarrassed to be seeing HP. The effects work is shoddy too, some of the worst effects ever seen in a high budget motion picture. I have no idea what they were thinking, but someone got ripped off. The studio, to be exact. lol.

I am sick of the Harry Potter craze. Just like Pokemon, it WILL die. They ALL die, spare the truly great, endearing, timeless tales that are part of society. Superman will never die. Everyone jokes and makes references to Superman. "What, do you think you are Superman?" "Wow that guy is like Superman, he keeps himself so busy!" Tons of people hear references like that. Just the same, Star Wars is forever. Spider-Man, even, has obviously lived a long time and people continue to be interested in the character and the comic books. Spider-Man is not a fad, but an ongoing phenomenon, much like Star Wars (though Star Wars has made a larger impact on our culture, but that is not to say Spider-Man is not really huge). I'd say even Star Trek is a major part of the culture, although unfortunately for their fans, most people joke about what geeks Trekkies are. James Bond, another one that is not a fad, but very much an enduring part of the culture, even worldwide culture to a large extent.

Pokemon. Harry Potter. Beanie Babies. Titanic the movie. ALL fads. In fact, three already came and went, the fourth is just a matter of time. Dwindling box office grosses and decreasing interest will eventually kill that fad.

I personally have little respect for fads. I prefer things that are longer lasting, so that's another reason I think Potter kinda blows.

Gurney Devries
May 31st, 2002, 04:22:25 AM
You know what my complaint about your writing is, LB? You cannot get to the frikkin point. I've almost never seen a single one of your posts that's under a paragraph. So come off your high horse - you're starting to get delusional.
It's too little kiddie for most teenagers tooI'm going to be turning 20 in February, and I really, really liked the movie. Plus, when did anyone say that it's *not* supposed to be a little kids' movie? Kids around the world love it, so Rowling has obviously suceeded in what she set out to do.

Not only that, but parents love her books, too. In a time where we have kids graduating from High School who have never really read a book from cover to cover, parents are appreciative of anything that captures their childrens' attention spans long enough to get them to read a 400+ page novel. I personally haven't read any of the books, nor do I intend to. But I rather enjoyed the movie (in spite of its anticlimatic ending), and I find the "It's not Star Wars, so it's crap" attitude downright banal.

Will her books have the longevity of Star Wars? Doubtful. More likely, her books will find a niche fandom and stick around as a cult classic, much like "Labyrinth" (one of my personal favorite movies).

CMJ
May 31st, 2002, 07:53:35 AM
I really enjoyed the first two thirds of the film(never read the book) but felt the last third got a little too cheesy. Nevertheless it was WAY bette than I expected, and I can totally see why it's so popular with kids the world over.

Jinn Fizz
May 31st, 2002, 08:38:38 AM
This decrepit 38-year-old has read the first 3 books and is currently a little over 200 pages into the fourth one.

The books do get better with each one in the series, with the stories getting more complex with each volume. I'm just glad that the series has spurred children into being interested in reading again. Hopefully it will lead them towards reading lots of other things too, and also treating books and literature with more respect.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first movie and have bought the DVD. My mother has never read any of the books, but I dragged her to the movie, and she enjoyed it as well.

As for how Chamber of Secrets will do this fall, it'll probably do the typical thing--it will make less money than the first movie, the media will make as much fun of it as possible, and it will be the butt of many jokes. Same as has happened with SW. It's like I once heard somebody say about America....American society has this really weird habit of doing everything it can to build someone or something up, and then turning right around and tearing that same someone or something down.

dbn
May 31st, 2002, 03:26:10 PM
Like Jon, I could not read the first 100 pages of HP:atST.
I tried watching the movie, and I fall asleep during the broom fight twice than waking up at the credits.

The good news is this last year, I found two movies that will help my sleep--HP and LotR's. I thought the FX in the movie were sooooooo bad they could have done a better job with them-it was right up there with FotR's, and in both cases the good thing about the two films were the music. So, when LotR's comes out-I will have a one two punch to get me into bed at night when I have to wake up early the next day:))))

I guess I don't understand the success, or why kides loves this movie or the books of HP. But to be fair, at least the HP books have kids reading again, and wanting more for the time being.

JMK
May 31st, 2002, 04:15:25 PM
People LOVE to bring down what they build up.

imported_QuiGonJ
May 31st, 2002, 04:25:59 PM
The books have won Saturn Awards, Hugos, and the first book won the British National Book Awards... seems literary critics look at different things than ya'll.

I like what I like. :)

JediBoricua
May 31st, 2002, 04:47:04 PM
Well accuse me of liking fads, but I really enjoy HP, movie and books.

I have read all four books, thanks in part to my 12 year old cousin, and I was hooked. I went through them faster than any SW book, not because I enjoyed them more, but because they are a refreshing and easy read. I have to disagree with Jonathan about the writing, it's precisely Rowling's style that makes kids eat her books up. I love the alter reality of the wizard world and to the extent they go from keeping everything secret. IMO, the magic of the series reside in the little details you can find in everything chapter.

To add to QuiGonJ's comment, one of the person I admire the most loves the books. She was editor of one of the biggest newspaper here in the island and read them in a week. It is nothing short of a phenomenom when you have 9 year old reading a 700+ page book, and like it or not HP has the potential to become a timeless children classic.

Jedi Master Carr
May 31st, 2002, 09:53:47 PM
Actually I liked the ending at least the Chess match and when he met the actually villain. I wasn't suspecting that guy I thought it was going to be Rickman's character Snape (I guess I should have thought about it that he was going to be in the rest of the series but I didn't even think about that) it made more sense when I read the book.

Figrin D'an
May 31st, 2002, 10:03:07 PM
I decided that before I saw the Harry Potter film last November, I first wanted to read the first book to kind of understand what the story was all about. I did so, then saw the film. I then proceeded to read the other three Harry Potter books, because I liked the story, and the characters had charm. I enjoyed the books, and I enjoyed the film (I bought the DVD yesterday).

I kind of have to disagree with "Harry Potter" being a typical children's fad... in addition to capturing the attention of kids, the books have been enjoyed by parents, and, as we have seen in this thread, some other demographics as well. That alone gives the books a much greater legitimacy than a normal fad. Throw in some of the literary prizes that were mentioned, and it takes on a new dimension...

It's a "coming of age" story in a fun and creative setting with endearing characters and some important themes... not so different from some other stories that people around here may like.

BUFFJEDI
May 31st, 2002, 10:15:55 PM
I personally think Harry potter is boring , and just plain wacko,Like this woman was high or something when she wrote those books.But than agian that's what some people tell me about lucas/ Starwars,so go figure;). I tried to read the Harry potter books but just couldn't get into them.And I sure was not about to see it at the theater.Hell I went to see Pokemon(twice!!!!!!!) agian my will(truley).I do plan on how ever watching it wiyh my nephew on dvd(only because he wants me to :):( )

I may wind up liking it , but than agian dragon's may fly out me ars :D But who knows:)

Hey we all like things other's don't ,it's a fact of life.That's what makes the world go round and Bea arthur.Just had to throw that in BECAUSE E weekly said That Golden girl reruns were in and Friends reruns are so 5 minutes ok :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:08:19 AM
HP is something different in children's books - it presumes the reader is intelligent. The movie itself WAS pretty much by the numbers, nothing remarkable. Okay for a watch, but as a HP fan, ultimatley disappointing. Dont et me wrong, it was a good moive. I was expectign somethign a bit more alive tho.

"As for Harry Potter the movie, well yeah it follows the first book, but the director has no creativity at all. He seems like a hack to me. He just follows exactly what is in the book"

Actually, i would agree with that. The problem with books is that a direct transfer to screen normally doesnt work. I think it's a credit to the source material that HP stood up as well as it did. However, I also agree Jackson took an even more loved book and made some changes and took some risks. And what a payoff in the end. Did Tolkein justice and then some.

I have heard the HP DVD is quite worthwhile getting. Seems to have fantastic quality picture and sound and some good extras.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:49:27 AM
Well Jackson had quite a challenge, because HP did some amazing business, then it was like, "Oooo, Jackson has to outdo Harry Potter!" *Yawn* That battle was over before it even begun, lol. Jackson outclassed him much like Dooku simply had more experience and more skill than Obi-Wan. Not even a contest. Jackson is the master. I personally didn't think Jackson had what it took to bring LOTR: FOTR to the screen with that much poise and make it enjoyable for the longtime fans and for the more casual moviegoers. I had to eat my words when I saw the movie, though, because he did a dang remarkable job on it. It took a lot for me to say it was the best film of the year considering I personally loved A.I., but I felt FOTR was 2001's best film.

"Kids around the world love it, so Rowling has obviously suceeded in what she set out to do."

Yes obviously, and I think I said that. She has done a great job at captivating the imaginations of millions of people around the world. Her storytelling ability is clearly superior. I personally just found her writing hard to endure, but as a storyteller I think she is obviously quite good. She has a great imagination, she created characters people love, and I'm not denying I think the story is quite cool. It's just I am really nitpicky when it comes to books and I found the writing surprisingly bad in the first book. Perhaps the next books are all a marked improvement, and if so I should give the series a chance still sometime, but I am just saying that is my impression after the first 100 pages of the first book.

My sister loves the books, so does my mom. My sister is 16.

See, different styles of writing work for different people, so it's not like you need to say, "Get off your high horse, you elitist snob!" or whatever you were thinking, lol, it's just that I do not personally enjoy the style that she uses. It's too conversationalist for me and I prefer very formal writing. I like it when authors use big words and write with the normal conventions of the English language ;) lol.

My dad also thought the effects in Harry Potter pretty much blew chunks and he thought it was entirely too long. He nearly fell asleep many times, but he said it was pretty good. Not too bad at least. My mom loves it, my sister really likes it. They are big into the books so I guess that is why, but from what I understood many fans were disappointed because of what Marcus and I were saying, which is basically just that it would have been nice to see a more competent, creative director.

For instance, you have to like how Jackson took a bit of The Hobbit and put it at the start of FOTR so that we could see that, because we don't get a full movie version of that book, so what would it hurt to give us a little introduction, or foreward, if you will? I am sure that is what he was thinking and it was a good move to go ahead and do it. I also remember that apparently Liv Tyler's character did not have hardly a role at all in the book, but they expanded her in the film to add a stronger female role. I also didn't think that was a bad move. So for FOTR, yes I realize it was Tolkien's story, but Jackson sort of made it "his" too by treating it so carefully and making sure it was as great as he could make it. With the dude who did HP, it was just like, "Eh, I have no creativity, I'm going to just do this by the book (literally) and get my paycheck, then move on to whatever is next." You don't seem to sense the same passion for his craft that Jackson shows, I don't think.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:57:52 AM
Jackson is also a raving Tolkein nut as well. And so was just about all the crew as well. That helps, because you can sense the passion and the caring put into the film. And FOTR is going to be remembered as a classic. What will HP be remembered as? Good film, nothing much more.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:02:07 AM
Hehe, yeah it really helps, at least I personally felt like I could see the passion everyone had for the film. It made a difference on screen.

I think, if you consider the Star Wars movies sci-fi (which I don't really, more like fantasy with some sci-fi), then LOTR: FOTR is the greatest fantasy movie ever made. I expect and hope that the next two LOTR films will be just as good. I think the LOTR trilogy will be the best non-Star Wars trilogy ever. I really like Indy, hehe, but I have to be a traitor and say FOTR is a better film than any of the Indy movies...

It will be remembered as a classic, just like the books.

Admiral Lebron
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:46:36 AM
The Second Indy brought the triliogy down in my opinion. As for Mr. Potter, it was an enjoyable movie and that was it. Kept me entertained for one evening and the book did about the same.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:50:26 AM
Oh, I have no doubt the other two movies will be just as good. The rumour is that the second is even better and will probably be the best.

Really the comparisions between LOTR and the OT are interesting. Star Wars defined Sci Fi and blockbusters and was made by visionary - which Lucas was then, no doubt. He used his own companies to achieve what he wanted (Like ILM). He also was well regarded with some very, very good movies - liek THX 1138 and American Graffiti. Oh, and he was independant as much as possible. And he loved Sci Fi as per Flash Gordon and wanted to do something a lot like that. He did something people thought was impossible and made it happen

Now Jackson, again, is an Indie director and has done a lot of highly regarded stuff. He loeved LOTR and wanted to do that, he also achieved it using his own companies (Like WETA). And he took a book that was considered unfilmable, producing one of the best movies of the last decade.

Oh and like Lucas, Jackson was robbed of the Best Director Oscar. I really dont give a poo how good A Beautiful Mind was, what Jackson did with FOTR surpasses what Howard did by a factor of 10. To me, Satr Wars and FOTR stand out as the mives that SHOULD have won their director an Oscar.

Really, when you compare the two men, the similarities are amazing. And they also dress like geeks. It will be interesting to look back in 20 years to see what type of effect Jackson has had on movies. I'm sure he will, but by how much, I dont know.

imported_QuiGonJ
Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:56:02 AM
I agree that Peter Jackson did a fine job. But just as Lucas hates horse races, I don't see where the coincidence of release timing means FOTR and HP need to be compared to each other in a horse race.

Rowling herself supervised the film from top to bottom, and had creative control over the project. It makes sense the film is so close to the book.

Reading articles on the making of HP, when Speilberg was attached, he wanted to abridge things from multiple books, use an American kid for Harry (supposedly Haley Joel Osment), and rework things. Rowling refused, and so they got someone who liked the books and was willing to do them as she wanted.

I think adapatations work better if they do stick to the flavor of the originals, so I'm happy with the results. I wish they could have explained a few things more, like how losing that 150 points made Harry, Ron and Hermione the least popular kids in the school, which would have made the ending work better in a film view, but I'm not sure what I'd have cut to make that work, or how I'd have made that work.