PDA

View Full Version : AOTC . Novel

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 08:55:53 PM
This may need to be in the collector's forum ???

Has anyone seen or heard how the AOTC novel is doing ? I know it hit #1 for a week and the 2nd week was at Number 2 and now I think it is at #3. But i have yet to see how many cpoies were sold:(

As for that matter how are AOTC toy's sale's. Anyone,anyone??

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 09:10:32 PM
The novel was on the bestsellers list have no clue how well it did, probably about as good as TPM novel which would be better since they made less copies (no collector tie in this time) haven't heard about the toys, they won't announce that stuff for months. I know the soundtract is selling pretty good though.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 09:16:02 PM
you know in 1999 TPM hard back finished the year as the 4th best seller:)(fiction)

JonathanLB
May 31st, 2002, 03:42:15 AM
I had no idea TPM's novel sold that well, actually, and I wrote a book on that film! :) I don't remember reading that anyway... hmm, cool.

There is a collector's AOTC novel... I have it. Limited to 500, signed by Salvatore, and bound in a special black case and whatnot. It looks a lot like the special TPM book that I got, which was much less limited (5,000!), but having both is cool. The TPM book was initially $80 for that special edition, the AOTC one was $150. It was steep but worth it for me. They sold out, so at least this time the AOTC one will be worth something. The TPM one was way overproduced unfortunately... Oh well, same is true of a lot of TPM merchandise.

I want to know, honestly, WHAT were they thinking?! TPM's merchandise sales were by far higher than any film in the history of the world, yet a lot of merchandise never sold. What gives? That means they produced enough merchandise so that, if it were all purchased, TPM would have quadrupled the nearest film (The Lion King) or something like that. Instead, it "ONLY" doubled what Lion King made with $2 billion in merchandise, but that doesn't even include another $400 to $500 million from video sales and rentals. TPM made more money by far than any other Star Wars film even though it has been out for 3 years. The merchandise total for the entire OT was $5 billion before TPM. It was $7 billion afterwards. Ok, so maybe ANH would slightly edge out TPM there, but TPM's dollar revenue at the box office far outstrips ANH and video sales and rentals, along with the DVD sales and rentals, would probably not be *too* much of a difference because of higher prices. Whoa, scary.

Dumb, idiotic merchandisers. The film did great for them yet it still cost a few of them a lot of money just because they so massively overproduced. Eh, not TPM's fault. It's a movie, and a movie that made double in stores what it did in theaters, yet they apparently expected more. Makes me consider a job as an executive at one of these companies, because whatever idiots ran them back then obviously know very little about anything.

The AOTC soundtrack has done awesome, after what I felt was just a pretty good debut. It only sold about 70,000 copies first week or something (I'd have to go check), but it already reached 500,000 now. I am impressed. Any classical album that sells 1/2 million copies is, uh, pretty darn awesome.

I hope that the Star Wars music maybe makes some people realize how great classical music is, so maybe a few of them will, perhaps, turn off the rap for just a few minutes and put in a good musical score to a film or whatever, anything classical! :)

Sure I listen to pop too, hehe, but classical is still superior to anything else. I don't recall ever hearing about a band with 100 people. Gee, well symphonies actually DO have that many people often times, so obviously the music is much more difficult to compose and intricate. It takes a genius like Williams to make great classical music, or like Bethoven or whatever, but look who does rap and pop and all that?! Britney Spears? Justin Timberlake? Puh-lease! No talent hacks compared to any great composer.

darth_mcbain
May 31st, 2002, 09:03:26 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
It takes a genius like Williams to make great classical music, or like Bethoven or whatever, but look who does rap and pop and all that?! Britney Spears? Justin Timberlake? Puh-lease! No talent hacks compared to any great composer.

Amen to that!!! Classical is the good stuff!!!

BUFFJEDI
Jun 4th, 2002, 09:35:01 PM
AOTC is still in the top ten at #5 :)