PDA

View Full Version : Will Sum of All Fears be Number One?

Darth23
May 30th, 2002, 09:02:45 AM
TPM stayed in the top spto for three weeks. as have soem of the best performers inthe last 3 years. Spiderman was only number one for 2 weeks.

With AOTC's rapid decline (compared to TPM), do you think the new Tom Clancey movie will take the top spot away this weekend?

CMJ
May 30th, 2002, 09:07:11 AM
I think it has a 50/50 chance of opening #1.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 10:56:58 AM
I think it won't but that is mostly because I am hearing a lot of people who don't want to see it because of the terrorism stuff in it. I think that could hurt it from opening too high, I think it will open around 30 million with AOTC staying first at about 35 but that would just be my guess.

Jinn Fizz
May 30th, 2002, 11:11:07 AM
I think it's really hard to say. I've been hearing good/great reviews for it, but it does skew more toward the "adult" audience. Plus there's the whole terrorism aspect...I know when I've been seeing the trailers, it's been making me a little uncomfortable. I go to the movies to escape reality, not to be reminded of it.

In a nutshell, will it open at #1? I won't be surpised if it does, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Waffley enough for ya? :D

Marcus Telcontar
May 30th, 2002, 02:46:35 PM
Nah. I'm not sure it will do that well at all.

jjwr
May 30th, 2002, 02:49:14 PM
I can see AotC BO totals leveling off and not dropping a lot the next few weeks, if the screen counts hold the grosses should hold. I know a lot of people who have waited to see it.

flagg
May 30th, 2002, 03:02:14 PM
AOTC will almost certainly be behind SOAF on Friday, but may catch up over Saturday and Sunday.

Lady Vader
May 30th, 2002, 03:10:17 PM
Well, i for one haven't even seen Spidey yet. And I'm starting to think I won't see any other movie this summer except for AOTC.

Guess it's my lil way of helping in keeping it up there. :)

dbn
May 30th, 2002, 04:19:20 PM
I am with ya lady vader!!!

The only other movie I cannot wait for is signs, so untill then all of my movie money will be going to AotC.

But I do believe AotC's will do good during the weekends, and beat SOAF, by how much? Not a clue. A win is a win:)

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 04:51:10 PM
I found this article interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't do well because of it.

The director of The Sum of All Fears has expressed "ambivalent" feelings about the fact that, in its advertising campaign, Paramount has shown a climactic scene in his movie in which a nuclear weapon explodes at a Baltimore football arena and sends a calamitous shockwave throughout the city. Director Phil Alden Robinson told today's (Thursday) Wall Street Journal: "On the one hand I didn't want [the studio] to give away the surprise. On the other, I'm happy they aren't hiding from what this movie is about." Referring to the fact that other studios had delayed releasing movies dealing with terrorism after the Sept. 11 attacks, producer Mace Neufeld told the WSJ: "They decided early on they would market this film for what it is -- which is a cautionary tale -- and not try to sneak it in." (The newspaper also reported that the nuclear terrorists in the film were transformed from mostly Middle Easterners in the original Tom Clancy novel on which the movie is based to neo-Nazis after the studio received protests from the Council for Arab American Relations.) Nevertheless, New York Daily News film critic Jack Mathews, in a column about how the public is likely to react to the scenes of destruction, comments: "Watching Baltimore get blown up on a cool Super Bowl Sunday may not be the entertainment we all crave."

First off I hate the trailers they give away the whole movie, you basically know what will happen, it even looks like Morgan Freeman will die from the trailer that is so stupid to that, I know Deep Impact and Castaway both did this kind of thing, but neither are suspensful thrillers they are dramas really (sure Deep Impact has a Comet in it but the SFX only happen in the end) Not sure that will hurt the movie though. The bad thing for it is the Nuke going off, I agree with the columnist I am not sure anybody wants to see that, I imagine people living in Baltimore might not even go at all, I sure wouldn't because its too close to reality, especially with Pakistan and India so close to Nuclear war do we need to see it happen on screen.