PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Stand

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 12:37:52 AM
I heard its out, has anybody picked it up? I haven't had a chance myself and probably won't until I finish the AOTC novel (I am almost done so maybe I will get it tomorrow)

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 05:16:25 PM
I found it today, I will probably start reading it tonight it looks pretty cool.

ReaperFett
May 30th, 2002, 05:57:55 PM
I hear good stuff

Jedieb
Jun 1st, 2002, 09:01:06 PM
I bought it today. I probably won't start reading it until sometime next week. I've got "end of the school year" work that's going to keep me pretty busy for the next few days. I might actually get started on it tomorrow while we're visiting the in-laws if I'm lucky.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2002, 11:08:19 PM
I am about half-way with it, so far it is very good, I am very intreigued by this Lord Nyax character he is 8 Feet tall and he is a dark Jedi of some kind (I think we was an experiement of the Empire) the only thing is he doesn't seem to smart, he can't talk and all he does is use mind control on his slaves. I am curious to see where they are going with this character

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:10:12 PM
Just got it today, should be reading it for a few hours this fine early morning. :)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:00:24 PM
It has been read.

Good book... very amusing in many parts, as well - as these books usually are. "In case of fire, please do not use the turbolift... it is EVIL." :)

Lord Nyax was an intriguing character. But one that went nowhere and had a dissapointing (for me) explanation... I never did like that Children of the Jedi book too much. Now if only we can get a cool, intelligent Dark Jedi character that lasts for longer than a single book...

Anyway, so what's up with all of this "pent-up Force energy" being released? Apparently it's just... Force energy, not only Dark Side or only Light. But Luke and the others don't talk much about this or what it could mean for their future. And why was it hidden and locked in (and how, heh) in the first place?

Meh. But I still love Wedge, and he again had a great part. Was afraid he was actually going to get killed off in this one, though... phew.

Last note: I'd thought they were building a Death Star-type laser within the Lusankya when they first mentioned that huge tunnel inside it and the construction. Guess they wouldn't have the supplies for that (or the plans), though, too bad... I of course knew the Starlancer project was a hoax from the beginning, though the explanation for the damage done to the Coruscant worldship was hoaky. Meh again.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 4th, 2002, 10:20:50 AM
I really liked this book
first about Lord Nyax he was very interesting but couldn't talk or anything (he makes Darth Maul look like a chatter box :p) still he was over 8 feet tall and had more than one lightsaber, first not only did he have a double lightsaber but he had one coming from his elbows that was weird. He was interesting too bad they killed him off, or did they. I mean his presence was still in that hole, could Luke been mistaken? I think more might be revealed in Traitor, which also takes place on Coruscant, Jacen might come across the hole, the same with this energy source, its important because every Jedi could feel it when it was released, so the question is what will it do, and I think it will be revealed in a future book. Also I was glad that Viqi finally met her end, she was such a backstaber traitor it was great seeing her kill herself. Finally to the final battle, I really liked it especially the supense over Wedge, it looked like he might not make it so you were glad to see he survived. I did like how they set up the Vong with the Super Star destroyer that was neat and I liked the reaction from Lah after his father's death he was really shaken by the whole thing, realizing he won the battle but at such a huge and devestating cost.

Man now I can't wait for Traitor. When does that come out, August?

ReaperFett
Jun 4th, 2002, 10:37:20 AM
noone exactly sure. June, July, August, September, all heard :)

Sene Unty
Jun 5th, 2002, 10:34:28 PM
I just finished it (yesterday actually.) and i found it to be quite good. In many parts the book was very funny, escpecially the scenes with Han. However the end felt kinda rushed. Like he couldn't meet his deadline or something. I don't know maybe I'm just crazy. All in all a very good book.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jun 5th, 2002, 11:36:55 PM
Yeh, the Lord Nyax end of the story seemed rushed - inasmuch as it was cut awfully short. He could have had a much longer role in the NJO books, but... honestly, I don't think he will - beyond having loosed and spread all that free, tasty power around. Mmm. Power.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2002, 12:03:06 AM
Unless Jacen comes across him in Traitor and at least contacts his spirt, there could be something left of him maybe like the cave in TESB.

ReaperFett
Jun 6th, 2002, 06:47:49 AM
Half through. Tam, Wes and the 3P0/11A convo are the highlights so far

ReaperFett
Jun 6th, 2002, 10:48:53 AM
THE GOOD

Wes Janson :)
Tam, especially his interactions with Tarc
Philosophy with 3P0 and 11A
Vong humour
Droids written great
Han discussing types of war :)
Han planning to complain to the Vong. He just gets better :)
Kyp talking to Piggy and Jaina/Jag had humouress moments
Blackmoon Squadron's lead getting moody :)
Ganner nearly crashing :)
Temple on a force well, makes sense
Look Nyax, a very fun and interesting enemy
Kyp being understanding of what happened on Coruscant. Allston writes him very IC

THE BAD

A minor thing, but to me, Janson NOT in an X-Wing is sacrilige :)
Jag's changing character.
The picnic scene. It felt misplaced. Jaina notices Kyp cuts from the connection ASAP, and Jag suggests they talk, and goes with them. WHat I didnt like though, was the lack of preparation for this. All of a sudden, there is a problem and Jag is telling Jaina what to do?

THE UGLY

Stutter fire on Vong Warriors! :)

Soooo, a score. Not as good as RD, which wasnt as good as DJ. DJ got a 10, RD a 9.5. Sooooooooooooo:

FINAL SCORE: 9.0

Sene Unty
Jun 6th, 2002, 03:30:49 PM
I wish they would have fleshed out the philosophy between 3PO and 11A. I found it quite enlightening, and very well done. It would have been cool to see 3po get some insight on the idea, and then give it to 11A.

Jedieb
Jun 12th, 2002, 06:50:12 PM
I finished it a couple of days ago. I liked it.

Lord Nyak
The Nyak storyline kind of came out of nowhere but it did provide for some great moments. I really liked Luke's grim determination in facing an opponent he knew he probably couldn't defeat. "Let's end this." I LOVED that part!
Han & Leia
They were simply hilarious. I really wish there was more of that in the NJO. That whole escape sequence was a lot of fun.
Viqi
Good riddance. I HATED her and was afraid they were going to give her another great escape. I just wish they would have given the Vong warrior the chance to finish her off. She didn't DESERVE to end her life on her terms. After everything he went through that Vong warrior should have had the satisfaction of killing her. You knew Mara couldn't kill her, although asking a mother not to take vengence is asking a lot. Especially a woman with Mara's attitude. Hell, I can only imagine what my wife would have done to the person who'd tried to kidnap one of our kids. But, Jedi must be Jedi.
Wedge
I thought he was a goner as well. They kind of over did it with the "Look at Wedge take on over a dozen Vong with a crippled X-Wing and win!" But he's always been a favorite background character and an EU mainstay so it's kind of expected. I thought it would have been a fitting way for him to go out. I'll tell you this, if they didn't kill him there then he's not going to die anytime soon. They'll never be able to set up a better opportunity than that again.
The Force well spring
Didn't really care for that all that much. But now that it's been released, will it be something the Jedi can tap into? It seemed as if Nyak would be able to carry the power with him all over the galaxy conquering one planet after another. So why can't Luke and Co. take advantage of it? I thought that was as lame as the whole Valley of the Jedi stuff in the Kyle Katarn stories. Oh well, it can't all be good.

Overall, I thought this was one of the better NJO books. Lots of good stuff for the key characters and not much Kyp. What's not to like? :cool

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jun 15th, 2002, 10:05:52 PM
I agree.

I forgot to point out how much I liked the bit part that 11A had with 3PO. And that I want to see a movie of the Lord Nyax fight. :)

Still no end in sight for how the Republic... or the "New Rebellion?"... will be able to beat the Yuuzhan Vong. Everything so far seems to be one-shot stuff against an enemy that learns pretty well and has bugs as an answer to everything. Maybe the Force well, yeah, but I'm not seeing how.

Jedieb: Yeh, it's hard to beat "taking on two enemy squadrons to save a single, otherwise doomed transport in a crippled X-Wing" as a setup to kill a beloved character...

imported_Corin Zetith
Jul 17th, 2002, 11:19:00 PM
"Explosion Boy Rules"

"i loved Kell he made the book so much better. and i have to say this is one of the best NJO ive read yet!"

Daren Trevelan
Jul 27th, 2002, 07:19:41 PM
It still hasn't come out where I live...