PDA

View Full Version : International Numbers

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 09:14:41 PM
Box office Mojo has the Foreign totals up and Star Wars has made a lot of money in two weeks almost 130 million, while Spiderman has just past the 100 million mark in 4 weeks
here is the article
http://boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/2002/21.htm

I like his predictions and if they are right that will mean AOTC will beat out Spiderman overall 881-940 for SW and 757-790 for Spiderman either way AOTC should beat by almost 100 million which is really cool. Its weird its doing better overseas than in the US.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 09:17:11 PM
Yeah....it kinda is. SW has always been more of a USA phenonmenon.

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:18:23 PM
Yeah, but Spidey is NOT an overseas thing.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 09:20:11 PM
No I think it will do less overseas than in the US. The only reason it has passed 100 million is because of Japan because the Japanese really like Spiderman for some reason.

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:22:16 PM
It's because he has big eyes, like all of the Pokemon japanation people.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 09:26:32 PM
:lol I never thought about that, but I guess it is true. I think also there was a big japanese animated Spiderman cartoon that was very popular there.

JonathanLB
May 30th, 2002, 05:25:22 AM
The Japanese are cool though, they understand our movies a lot better than most countries. They love Star Wars, they loved A.I. and the U.S. was obviously too stupid to get it, and it's appropriate they like Spider-Man, which is a very good film. Although, I wish it had done less well ;) I would have liked it just as much with $200M!!! LOL.

Another thing to remember is that TPM actually didn't have that good of staying power in many foreign countries. It performed much more like just a high profile blockbuster, which is all it was in most countries except Japan, Australia, the U.S., and the U.K., well and Russia but that was a small box office market.

So when AOTC falls like 50% in another country, it's not a huge deal really because TPM did the same thing in many markets. Yet the U.K. AOTC pace seems to be quite good, looking good so far at least. I bet AOTC does very well in Japan. That would be pretty funny revenge. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 11:07:13 AM
Still it will make about 500 overseas maybe more and about 350-400 here which is a big difference and a little bit of a surprise in my opinion, if this happens then SW will be #1 only because of the foreign gross though.

dbn
May 30th, 2002, 04:29:42 PM
Lucas and Fox did a world wide campaign for Attack of the Clones, and sort of gave us a few bones here and there. I was looking at some of the things they did around the world over at TFN, and my god it was HUGE in what they did on Walls, Magazines, and from what I hear a lot more tv spots.

I really think they did a good job outside of America to get people to watch it, and just assume people in the US would with a limited campaign. I think we are seeing the results of it, from seeing a somewhat lack luster box office draw in the US, and a HUGE box office draw around the world. So, maybe for Ep. III we will see a better campaign here and around the world. More ever, I STILL HAVE NOT SEEN ONE TV ADD SAYING COME TO THE NUMBER ONE MOVIE IN THE WORLD YET..what the hell is up with that..lol!!

CMJ
May 30th, 2002, 04:35:32 PM
Actually dbn..I have seen an ad like that.

dbn
May 30th, 2002, 05:00:21 PM
REALLY?!?!?!
thats good to hear:)
Maybe I need to watch more tv, so I can see it;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 05:01:38 PM
I have a seen a few adds saying the # 1 movie in America, so maybe that will start to help who knows. I think part of the problem is competition Spiderman and other movies have made it more crowded, in Europe and Australia, it opened up against nothing and it has the market place to itself for a couple more weeks that is part of the reason why it is dominating, IMO.

Marcus Telcontar
May 30th, 2002, 07:06:40 PM
And I think the critics have been easier on AOTC as well, seeing it for what it is. In Australia they have been, I tend to hear pretty good reviews from media here

ReaperFett
May 30th, 2002, 07:10:34 PM
First, Spiderman will do less because not everyone has got it. Most the major areas of the world have EP2, not so with Sipiderman.

Second, in reply to this quote:

SW has always been more of a USA phenonmenon.
Flicking on Teletext, I see EP2 made £55million in the first week (Or weekend, am unsure) in the US, and £10million in the UK. 1/5 of the amount, 1/40 of the size. SOunds like you're the ones without the phenomenon :)

flagg
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:31:03 AM
That's true. British fans may not be a fanatical as American fans when it comes to dressing up and all that (there was hardly anyone in costume at the midnight screening in London and only a few lightsabers) but we do seem to be enjoying the prequels more, for some reason. I also think the regular moviegoers haven't been turned off Star Wars here like some people have in the states. The reviews in America seem to be two extremes (you know "Best Star Wars movie ever!" or "Worst Star Wars movie ever!" :) ) whereas in the UK there are more positive reviews and the negative ones are just disinterested rather than hateful.
AOTC should have no problem beating TPM's gross in the UK.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 1st, 2002, 08:37:30 AM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Flicking on Teletext, I see EP2 made £55million in the first week (Or weekend, am unsure) in the US, and £10million in the UK. 1/5 of the amount, 1/40 of the size. Sounds like you're the ones without the phenomenon :)

Actually..

Population of United Kingdom 57M
Population of United States 286M

286:57=5

:)

Jedieb
Jun 1st, 2002, 01:20:08 PM
I don't think the international grosses of Spidey and AOTC will be as far apart as we originally thought. Spidey still has a lot of markets to open in. BOTH films have crossed the $100M mark. AOTC is going great in Western Europe and Austrailia, but not nearly as well in Asia. Here's a couple of paragraphs's from mojo:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones used the force to shoot out another amazing weekend. The film was virtually unchallenged in Europe and Australia in its second weekend, but had some trouble in Asia where Spider-Man continues to capture impressive third and fourth week numbers. Spider-Man also demonstrated similarly strong legs in Japan and Latin America.

Throughout the weekend, where there was no four-day Memorial Day holiday, Episode II rang up an excellent $36.7 million from roughly 5,800 screens in 73 countries, hoisting its foreign cume to $128.9 million. That was one more country for the film, which has already amassed more than most films even reach on video. Norway was the sole opener and it was a fantastic one. AOTC rang up $566,000 on 77 screens for the weekend and $1.1 million total including previews for the prior weekend's sneaks, commanding 80% of the market and tracking 40% above the bow of The Phantom Menace.

Elsewhere the second chapter in George Lucas' saga continued to mount phenomenal tallies. In the United Kingdom Clones only fell 34% over the weekend, or 48% including sneaks. The film minted $8.6 million over the weekend for a dazzling $31 million total. In Germany Episode II saw a 50% drop-off with a $5.6 million weekend for $21.1 million in 10 days. In France AOTC took an even steeper 54% drop-off, but still had an amazing $5.7 million weekend and $15.4 million total. In Australia the film managed to grab the highest second-weekend ever with $3.3 million, tumbling 48%, and an $11.3 million total. Other countries had similar results. Spain ($7.7 million, dropping 42%), Italy ($5 million, abating by 42%), Sweden ($2.9 million, off 38%), and Switzerland ($2 million, down 38%) are just a few. In Asia AOTC is having a rockier start. In Taiwan the film only has $1.8 million to date and has $1.5 million in Hong Kong.

In Europe and Australia AOTC is faring better off than The Phantom Menace. In the United Kingdom the films second weekend was over $3 million better than that off Episode I. In Australia the films debut was over $3 million ahead of the previous installment and only $1 million below the second weekend (where The Phantom Menace had a holiday weekend). In almost every European country, Episode II is doing better than Episode I. But in Asia it's a completly different story. Episode I is leading Episode II and by a rather large margin.

So why is AOTC doing better than The Phantom Menace in Europe and Australia than in Asia and the United States? One reason is probably the fact that Spider-Man has debuted before Clones in those respected markets creating a much more competitive field. In the U.K., for instance, Star Wars is competing with About a Boy, Not Another Teen Movie, and Panic Room. In Taiwan the film is competing with plenty of other action-related film including Spider-Man, Resident Evil, and John Q. That superhero is one big wreaking ball for Episode II. I suspect if Spider-Man would have debuted before Star Wars there would be a lot of different numbers. I also predict that Spider-Man won't do better in Europe and Australia than Star Wars. Latin America and Japan are very different though because Star Wars opens more than a month from Spider-Man.

Spider-Man captured $18.5 million from 3,300 prints in 33 countries over last weekend, elevating its total across that century mark to $100.2 million, with all of Western Europe and Australia/New Zealand yet to open in. The web-slinger spun an unprecedented $1.36 million on 250 screens in India, 24% ahead of previous champ The Mummy Returns, which debuted on only 175 screens. Spider-Man also had fantastic numbers in Indonesia, registering $496,000 on 77 (in local currency, eclipsing prior record-holder The Lost World: Jurassic Park, which launched on 43 screens).

In its sophomore sessions, the Sam Raimi-helmer took in the biggest second weekends ever in Mexico, Brazil, and Venezuela. In Mexico the film generated $5.3 million for a larger-than-life $18.5 million in 10 days, skidding 41%. In Brazil the film chipped in with $2.7 million for a smash $7.9 million in 10 days, easing a mere 21%. In Venezuela it has generated $1.6 million in 12 days with 11% decline. In its third lap in Japan, Spider-Man pocketed $4.2 million (off 21%, hoisting the market total to a juicy $27.5 million. Through its fourth round in South Korea, Spidey's total has reached a wondrous $11.6 million.

I'm starting to think that Spidey will win the W.W. B.O. battle as well. AOTC may make a bit more overseas, but it might not be enough to make up the big lead Spidey has in the U.S. B.O.

JonathanLB
Jun 1st, 2002, 03:26:09 PM
Just like how TPM had to beat JP by a long ways in the U.S. to make up for its international lead... :(

Dang what has happened to AOTC? It's so disturbing.

As CMJ said, "Suicide watch is on ;)" lol.

Reaper, I didn't mean that SW is only a phenomenon in the U.S., I meant that it is more of a U.S. phenomenon than an overall world phenomenon at the box office. Although we have fans in every country, and sometimes they are more loyal in the smaller countries than they are here because there are less of them and they are intensely interested.

Nonetheless, SW is a phenomenon at the box office and with moviegoers in Australia, The U.K., Japan, and the U.S., and TPM was with Russia apparently as it became the highest grossing movie of all time there.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 1st, 2002, 10:37:01 PM
Well I disagree because I think it will tank in Europe and everythink I have read suggest it will (I think it said it in the article I linked in Box office Mojo) Consider first that half of spidy's gross come from Japan which is really into too Spiderman for the reason we mentioned above. But in Europe Comic books are not popular at all, from what I have read. Consider than only two films have made more than 300 internationally, X-Men (barely) and the last Batman Film (which I know is hard to believe but Arnold drove people to it most people think), realizing that I don't see it do much beyond 350 overseas, it has opened in its best market already and its going to do poor in Europe according to most estamites (part of this too is also that from I read there is going to be a lot of movies released at the same time in Europe with Spiderman which will hurt it, also Box office Mojo is saying that while Spiderman hurt AOTC, AOTC will hurt Spiderman in Europe, which makes sense I think). So I agree with the guys at mojo, I bet there will be a 100- 150 million difference in AOTC's numbers and Spiderman's numbers and hopefully that will be enough to make the difference in the end. Also it is still possible that AOTC will get beaten out internationally by another film, either LOTR or HP 2 the first two establishments both made over 500 million overseas so they both could do that again this winter, but we shall see.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:57:38 AM
I THINK LOTR 2 will almost certainly beat AOTC in the Intl charts. Dont think HP will do so well second time around.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:19:49 AM
I agree with Marcus on LOTR: TTT and HP2.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:17:48 AM
I am looking through my TPM book here, at the International figures, pretty interesting...

In Germany, TPM made somewhere just over $49.9 million, or that is the last figure I found for it apparently. That was after many weeks.

AOTC made $16 million in just its first week. Then $21 million after the second weekend (not full second week) apparently. That is strong.

In France, TPM made $55+ million. AOTC has $17M after two weeks. Hmm...

In Australia, TPM made $25+ million. AOTC has $12.5 million after two weeks. It also looks like it could come in a bit ahead of AOTC's percentage of TPM in the states. Maybe if it holds up, it'll beat TPM in Australia. Hard to say.

In the U.K., TPM made just about $83M. AOTC has $31.2 million after two weeks.

JediBoricua
Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:42:42 AM
I think the biggest factor for good international numbers is the world wide release. Last time around I had to wait a week for the movie and I could not watch cable or use the web because everyone was talking about the movies. I knew all that was going to happen before watching the movie. This time around intl. fans got same-time release and it was a world-wide thing.

I don't know much of b.o., but I cannot see Spider-Man faring well in Europe.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:46:52 PM
I tell you it is weird if AOTC makes 300-350 in the US and 500-550 Overseas that would be really weird but it would put put it between 800-900 WW which I think is awesome because only 6 films have made 800 WW and if it can pass ID4 it would be in the top 5 of all time.

JonathanLB
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:13:17 PM
I think it will make about $300M in the U.S. and probably it can do $500M+ internationally, as Box Office Mojo said.

Already we have more than $130 million and you know Japan will kick in about $100M, and it's still playing strongly in most countries.

No Star Wars movie has ever done more than 60% of its business internationally, so that would make AOTC an interesting footnote I suppose. I don't know if that is really a good thing. I mean I guess it is because SW is becoming more global, sorta, but it also is bad because the damn movie should be doing better here.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 2nd, 2002, 05:53:17 PM
I think the difference is the darker tone which is keeping less kids from going, overall that is the difference between a 300-350 film to a 400 film is the tone, still if it crosses the 800 mark that is an impressive feat and should put in top 3 grossing movies of the year.

flagg
Jun 11th, 2002, 03:40:50 PM
Just to keep you informed about the box office situation on the other side of the pond:
AOTC only dropped 16% last weekend in the U.K. and is now the second most successful Star Wars film here ever, after TPM. Almost makes me proud to be British :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 11th, 2002, 09:20:16 PM
Yeah it had a better drop this weekend considering the World Cup and all, any other figures from Europe? I still think it will do over 500 internationally and over 300 here so we are looking at somewhere between 800-850 which would be awesome should be able to pass ID4 at least.

JonathanLB
Jun 12th, 2002, 02:42:14 AM
Actually AOTC is #14 all-time in the U.K., which is ahead of its ranking in the U.S. so far...

Very good work, you Brits are awesome!!! :) You are to be commended, hehe.

I wish I could be proud of Americans right now, but I can't. They have made Spider-Man a much bigger film, which doesn't go a long ways in proving our intelligence or anything, LOL. Spider-Man is a far easier film to understand than AOTC, obviously, which is probably why general audiences are more likely to give it a chance at least. Those who have given AOTC a chance have come out more satisfied on the whole, but most people loved both I think...

International numbers for AOTC are looking good, it's just that Spider-Man had a lot of big openings this week whereas AOTC didn't have anything significant. We could use Japan's opening here pretty soon, that'd be nice. It's going to be a huge country for us.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 12th, 2002, 03:00:28 AM
Spider Man has opened in Japan. I think AOTC will beat Spider Man for Overseas, probably by quite a bit

BUFFJEDI
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:34:13 AM
We Yankee's are lacking in smart's ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:23:42 PM
Here is some good news on the international front, SM opened in Europe, NZ, and Australia to less money than SW did overall. It really did less in Germany like 4 million less or something, it won't open in France and UK for another week or so. Still since SM is making less money there, I think it is safe to say that SW will beat it out, I guess how much is the question now, AOTC still has to open in Latin America and Japan and the only two places left for SM France (which I expect it to do poorly) and the UK (have no idea there but I bet not as good as SW, HP, or LOTR) I expect to make at least 50 million in Japan and probably another 50-60 in Latin America that would push it over 300 we should get another 150-200 from Europe and Australia and NZ I think, I still think 500 is looking really good overseas and my figure of 800 will happen.