Damn!

"I don't care what universe you're from...that's gotta hurt!"

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 02:41:44 PM
Nice quote, CMJ...

Darnit. That is too bad.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 02:43:52 PM
Yes...I had to make a joke...because that really did hurt. Is my day ruined? No....am I bit less happy than I was 5 minutes ago...yes...

Dutchy
May 29th, 2002, 02:44:00 PM
That's a pretty large drop considering that Spider-Man dropped only 28%, for instance.

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 02:45:06 PM
ouch :(

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 02:45:49 PM
I agree, a pretty large drop. It just is having trouble holding up, not enough people are going to see it apparently.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 02:45:59 PM
Thanks Dutchy for bringing that to my attention. :( I think I might jump out my window now. ;) LOL...just kidding man. It just shows how truly popular the webslinger is this summer...and I STILL don't get it.

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 02:48:06 PM
I don't get it either, CMJ. I enjoyed Spidey, but it wasn't the greatest thing I'd ever seen. I still wanna know who all these people are who are apparently seeing it a zillion times, I don't know any of 'em.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 02:52:53 PM
Thats not exactly my point either Jinn(I can't comment on your's as I must be one of the seven people in the USA who HASN'T seen "Spiderman"). I didn't sense this level of excitement for the webslinger...I mean I know more people who were way more excited about "Harry Potter" for example than "Spiderman".

*shakes head*

Once again...I never thought this film would clear 300M(I figured 250 tops) and it's almost assured of AT LEAST 420M.

Dutchy
May 29th, 2002, 02:53:56 PM
Oh, TPM did $5.5M on its 2nd Tuesday, down 33% from its 1st.

Enough yet? ;)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 02:56:10 PM
That's it!

*Jumps out window, however hits a tree on the way down so is only marginally hurt*

;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 03:04:53 PM
Well every film did poor, probably because nobody went to the movies Tuesday, hey somebody has to be the optimist here on this board. Spiderman only did 2 Million which isn't great either, and the rest of the films all did 1-1.5 which is bad as well.

flagg
May 29th, 2002, 03:11:56 PM
Hey, partly thanks to me seeing it again, AOTC only dropped 34% in the U.K. last weekend! :)
You must accelerate your plans in the U.S. Begin landing your troops on theaters. This is a crisis!

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 03:25:51 PM
:headbash Dutchy, why doncha just give me a papercut and pour lemon juice all over it, eh?

:lol

I see what you're getting at now, CMJ...yeah, I never would have guessed Spidey would make this much because there just wasn't that huge amount of buzz for it. Hype, yes, what with the commercials (like the Carl's Jr tie-in, which was just kinda weird), but buzz? Not really, at least not that I could see.

And JMC, yeah, I went to BoxOfficeMojo and saw that AOTC was still #1 for the day, with everything taking a sharp dive. So maybe it's not all as bad as it seems. ::keeps fingers crossed::

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 03:28:20 PM
Well School is still in this week so I kind of figured every film would take a huge dive on Tuesday especially a day after a holiday, just about everyfilm dropped 70% from Monday so really it doesn't show much IMO in terms of the long term, hopefully it has a small drop this weekend, that is where it is going to matter the most.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 03:31:30 PM
Man Carr...I need you around next time a girl turns me down on a date. Attaway to keep me positive. ;)

dbn
May 29th, 2002, 03:31:35 PM
I sort of thought Tuesdays numbers will be low, people are heading home after a long weekend, needed to rest up a little for the 4 to 5 days of work they need to do, and one day to do dubble the work to make up for the day they lost.

I am sort of let down by the numbers yesterday, but I really think that this movie and Star Wars anymore are mostly Adult fans of the movie back in the 70's--So, I do believe that our biggest boots will come during the weekends, and our week day numbers will look very poor.

Dutchy
May 29th, 2002, 03:36:37 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Man Carr...I need you around next time a girl turns me down on a date.

Umm... talking about boxoffice figures is not quite the babe magnet, dude. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 03:38:52 PM
Well When kids get out of school that could help some and I think the weekeday numbers will level off some, as long as next weekend numbers aren't below 30 million I will be happy, hopefull it will make around 35 million which would be great.

Oh and CMJ I know I am very postive and that is saying something being a Red Sox fan for 20+ years.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 03:46:46 PM
I'm well aware of that Dutchy. :P I try not to show ALL of my wierdness to girls...at least not at first...otherwise they'd run for their lives. ;) As it is I "occasionally" make progress. :)

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 04:44:55 PM
"Man Carr...I need you around next time a girl turns me down on a date."

Amen to that, only I've never even been on a date before, LOL.

Liz came over last night, that's as close to a date as I have ever had, and she is just a friend lol, unfortunately ;)

I've not ever made any "occassional" progress, because I've never even been called up to bat. Haha. You can't run the bases if you don't get pitched to and aren't even in the batting order ;)

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2002, 05:13:34 PM
How the hell is Spiderman making miney like it has?????

I'm sorry, but I just dont believe it's performance anymore. Some one is doing a book fiddle.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 05:21:12 PM
It's funny because I know so many more people who have seen Star Wars than Spider-Man, and I'm talking my real life friends of course, not online SW fans, jeez.

Like most of the girls I know have not seen either, but actually a few girls have seen Star Wars, a few Spider-Man, and most of the guys have seen both I'd say, but more have seen Star Wars slightly. Like Ben saw AOTC 3 times, didn't see Spider-Man yet. I'm at 11 vs. 2, I think Rachel saw AOTC once and Spider-Man no times. She wants to see AOTC again, we went to the midnight showing (her, Bryan, myself, Rick, i.e. HyperEopie, and Erik). Erik has seen AOTC 4 times, Spider-Man no times.

I think maybe the younger teenage girl crowd is helping a lot and perhaps the younger teenage guys have seen both films a lot or something. I am not really sure.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 06:09:38 PM
I asked my class today if anyone of them had seen AOTC, one kid said yes. On a whim I then asked how many of them had seen Spiderman, 4 kids raised their hands. And look at that Compuserve thread, Spidey is almost 20 points ahead of AOTC. Spidey has just struck a chord. I've heard more people around me talk about Spidey than AOTC, it's just reaching a wider audience, the B.O. proves it. Look, we're going to make over $300M, that's plenty good, nothing to be embarrassed about.

My son hasn't even seen the movie and he's been running around pretending to be Spiderman for over a week now. Lots of the kids at his daycare bring in Spiderman toys all the time. On a positive note, just a few minutes ago he was waving around a toy flashlight. I asked him if he was waving a lightsaber and he said;
"Yes."
"Who are you son, are you Yoda?"
"No."
"Are you Obi-Wan Kenobi?"
"No."
"Are you Anakin?"
"No."
"Son, who are you?"
"Plo Koon!"

I don't think I've ever been prouder and I don't think my wife has ever been more terrified. Never underestimate the power of marketing. I read the name Plo Koon off a Gogurt he was eating 2 days ago and told him he was a Jedi. How that stuck in his head I have no idea.:cool

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 06:27:00 PM
Jonathan...don't worry..I didn't get my first girlfirend till the ripe old age of 20. Good things come to those who wait. :)

Eb, thats awesome. It's amazing what kiddo's pick up on and remember sometimes. I find it pretty amusing that it terrifed your wife. ;)

Admiral Lebron
May 29th, 2002, 06:32:54 PM
LOL @ Jedieb's son. That's classic! Nothing to worry about, I could recite the entire script of ANH by the time I was four. Nothing wrong there. :)

As of my friends, I know most have seen spiderman once.. But I know more who have seen Star Wars more than it. I think the numbers are being fixed!

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 06:44:27 PM
Well Star Wars is still far more popular than Spider-Man and will always be a bigger deal with kids than Spider-Man is. Although every kid goes through a comic book phase, there are so many comics, and there is only one Star Wars, and every kid loves Star Wars :)

But yes, obviously Spider-Man has reached a wider audience than AOTC, duh, but Star Wars blows Spider-Man away.

Wow CMJ, so I am not alone, haha. But I have been waiting a pretty damn long time. It's funny you mentioned that saying...

A few months ago we had chinese food (not an uncommon thing), and I got this fortune that says "Good things come to those who wait. Be patient." I taped it to my computer monitor just below the screen, where it still is now. It helps me, hehe... For many reasons.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 06:52:07 PM
Yeah man I was always pretty self conscious about it. Moving away from home out here has kinda made me go back into my shell. Not like I ever got to be a "ladies man" or anything, but I'd made many strides in that area. Starting over has been hard, I must admit. :)

I'll see my ex when I go back to town next month for a friend's wedding(got roped into being the Best Man)...I wonder how that's gonna be.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 06:56:45 PM
I can understand that for sure. I am not that outgoing really, but I'm very talkative actually. I will often make a boring room more talkative, haha, like when I came to Bryan's last Friday and they were all sitting around, at least I had something to say. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather hear a girl talk and talk than me, because I already know me, I don't need to hear myself talk ;) But if things are boring, I'm not shy about trying to get people to talk, hehe.

It will be weird seeing your ex again I suppose, hehe, it would make me uncomfortable. Or more like disappointed I didn't have a current and not just an ex, haha, or something ;)

But as I said, I've never had anything. lol.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:03:11 PM
Man, I hated dating. I wouldn't want to be back where you guys are for anything. Think I ask the wife if she wants to snuggle up and watch the Celtics and Nets....
She said, "Ooo baby, you know that's what I like.:rolleyes "

She's a sarcastic woman at times, oh soooooo sarcastic. :)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:03:13 PM
It'll be okay man. I usually don't like spouting off this type of stuff, but I was in similar shoes. Like I said....the first girlfriend I ever had was at the age of 20, so I have a really good idea what you're going through.

I know you're probably just sitting there going "He's full of it", because I woulda been 3 and half years ago. :) I was convinced I'd always be alone and NEVER find anyone. Trust me though man...it'll happen.

Here I am about to turn 24 and I feel like I'm dispensing life lessons...LOL...man I'll shut up now.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:05:12 PM
Now you're an old man like me, HA HA!!!! :D

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:07:51 PM
LOL...I know Eb, tell me about it. All of the "younger" people I knew in college are graduating or will be within the next year or so. I am starting to feel old. ;)

Spielberg was only 26 I think when he made "Jaws"...I got two years to get off my ass. ;)

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 07:12:56 PM
Jeez what are you doing with your life CMJ?!?! Get to work! lol, j/k

Yeah, well now a few of my friends, and my best friend, have girlfriends so that is kind of annoying. I mean it takes away some of my time to spend with my friends too, so darnit I want one too now, haha ;)

I agree with EB, pain in the butt. I don't even really know how someone dates though, lol, I mean I just meet people and nobody I know has ever gone on a date actually. You just sort of hang out with someone a bit perhaps and whatever, hehe.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:16:55 PM
You meet someone new and you casually ask for her digits. If she gives you the number to a laundry mat then so be it. If it's her real number you ask her to the movies. Now this is the hard part, it'll probably have to be something starring Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts. shudder.... dating is evil.....

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2002, 07:17:28 PM
Geez, and I'm now 33.... how do do think I feel being one of the true elders around here with all these young people???

Dont worry Jonathon, I didnt date anyone till I was 26. Never mind the fact I was engaged to same girl 5 weeks later and married the next year. 5 years later, it's been quite a nice time :)

First date - watching From Dusk till Dawn. My type of babe :)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:20:11 PM
Wow Marcus...fast mover....you dog. ;)

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 07:22:21 PM
If I am 26 and single I think I will die, though, lol.

I dunno, hopefully I meet someone in college I guess, but who knows.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:25:23 PM
YESSS! Marcus is 2 years older than me!! VICTORY!! If I thought my walker could take the strain I'd jump for joy!

On a pathetic note, we had field day at school today. I ran a few relays and threw a football around. I figure I've got about 30 minutes before my muscles fail and I'm begging my wife to rub me down with... hey, this could be cool....;)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:25:26 PM
College is the way to go man. Ahhh how I miss the women of UNT(some of the prettiest co-eds in the nation...we have had 2 Miss America's attend our fine University). Ya know college was great....too bad classes got in the way. ;)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:26:47 PM
LOL Eb...outta shape are we? Make sure the wife gives ya that rub down. ;)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:31:09 PM
College really is a meat market. The semester I met my wife was in my junior year and I was having the best streak of my life. I was literally hooking up every other week. When I met my wife I was dating a couple of other girls. But something about my wife made me cut the others off. She literally told me that she didn't want to be "one of" the girls I dated. After a month she made it clear it was going to have to be just her or the show was over. I kind of respected her for that. You see so many girls that are just willing and able to be treated like crap. I like a girl that has some pride in herself. Plus my wife could do this crazy thing with ... un, nevermind.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:32:44 PM
"Move along, move along."

LOL Eb!

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 07:37:05 PM
Oh yikes...

Well, lol, if I could have multiple girls that would be one thing, but I'd never do that because I never could anyway. I would just be happy with one, lol, and I'd never treat any girl like crap. I cannot stand guys who do that, and I have known a few of them. It's the power, I think, it corrupts. The best looking girls and guys often think they have the power to screw with people, and they do, but it doesn't mean they SHOULD. It's just mean, it's not nice at all. It hurts people when you do that. Very inconsiderate, and girls are worse than guys when it comes to that, IMO, they flirt too much just for the fun of it, and that sends the WRONG DANG MESSAGES. Ugg. Only had that happen to me once, though, and I sorta figured she was using me just for her math homework anyway, but it still was annoying...

I figure if I don't meet a girl in college, I probably never will. I'll have to use a dating service or something, haha, j/k

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:42:31 PM
LOL Jonathan...don't resort to dating services. You don't have to find "Miss Right" in college, but you'll probably date at least one girl somewhat seriously(I'm going out on a limb, but I've seen it happen many a time in college).

If it doesn't work out just take whatever lessons you can from it to your next adventure in dating. That's what I'm doing man. :) I didn't meet the perfect woman in college...well I thought I did, but she felt otherwise...but thats another thread topic. ;)

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 07:49:58 PM
Haha, I know how that is. Liz is my idea of perfect. Extremely intelligent, very nice, fun, great personality, and exceptionally good looking. She has it all, but... I'm not in her league, we are good friends at least and I appreciate it for what it is. :\

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:52:25 PM
Nah Jonathan...until you actually "date" your perfect woman and then she dumps you, you're not exactly sure what it's like. ;)

Don't worry man...it'll come. :)

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 07:59:18 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
YESSS! Marcus is 2 years older than me!! VICTORY!! If I thought my walker could take the strain I'd jump for joy!

Well, I'm older than Marcus. By five--count 'em, five!--years. Just call me Granny. If you feel brave enough. :headbash

Anywho, btw, Eb, that story about your son calling himself Plo Koon was terrific! :lol

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:02:46 PM
Dang Jinn...I thought you were more around Eb's age. Now I feel like I'm in the middle of this great age range we have. :)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 08:04:24 PM
Thanks Gran, I mean Jinn. There's nothing cuter than a 3 1/2 year old saying; "I'm Poo Koon!!" I've got to work on him sticking an "L" in there though. I take my parenting quite seriously. :D

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:06:44 PM
ROTFLMAO Eb!

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 08:07:47 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Dang Jinn...I thought you were more around Eb's age. Now I feel like I'm in the middle of this great age range we have. :)

Nobody every believes me when I tell them I'm 38, they all tell me I'm a liar, because I've been blessed with good genes and look about 10 years younger. Thanks, Mom and Dad :angel ! I've even had to take my driver's license out to prove it to coworkers who didn't believe me. :lol

And besides, I may be 38 chronologically, but I always act like I'm about 12, so what's the difference? :lol

"Poo Koon"? Now that's even funnier!!!!!! :lol

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:10:25 PM
Well yeah...kinda hard for to get a read on how you "look". I was just kinda going off of tones in posts and other things. A very UNSCIENTIFIC method I admit. :)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 08:10:34 PM
Oops, wrong thread! :D
Move along, move along...

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 08:11:46 PM
12 eh? Hehe. I was just thinking about that the other day. Liz left at about 1, and I looked at my room and thought, "Dang, this looks like the room of a 12-year-old!" But I love my Star Wars collection, so whatever ;)

Well CMJ, yeah I understand sorta what you mean, but the point is that I have met some really great girls, and I've met some not-so-great ones who were just friends or less, but Liz is the most special I have met so far.

If I am like 21 and never kissed a girl though, that will be extremely pathetic. lol

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 08:12:57 PM
I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid....

:crack

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:13:44 PM
Hey I was 20 1/2 before that moment arrived....so watch what you say. :) I like to think I'm not TOO pathetic. ;)

BUFFJEDI
May 29th, 2002, 08:14:21 PM
Oh never mind.O_o

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 08:19:21 PM
I guess, but we definitely defy most people in this generation or this age range. I mean, the kind of things 14-year-olds do now, wow, lol.

Well, maybe someday... I keep saying that about a lot of things, though, haha. Book deal someday, someday my Website will take off, someday this, someday that. Well I do try, and don't give me a Yoda quote about that either! lol. ;)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:23:34 PM
Yeah I know man....I was a one of a kind thing. It was a conversation starter... :( It's cool though, it came and went, and what not. I have memories from the past and an outlook for the future...and that's all I can ask about relationships. You learn and move on.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 08:24:27 PM
Well I am 27 older than you CMJ and younger than you Jedieb so I am kind of in the middle here too.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 08:26:07 PM
27, I wouldn't have thought that for some reason. I guess I might have said more like 22 or something, no idea why, haha. :) I don't mean that as an insult or anything like that, I just didn't know how old you were, hehe.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:26:34 PM
Yeah I know Carr. I sometimes think of you as my own age though...even if you are my senior. But we are in the middle age bracket of this board to be sure(I saw a kid who was 14...WOW).

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 08:38:19 PM
Heck nobody thinks I am 27 most think I am around 22-24 I look young which is a good thing. Actually there isn't much difference between 24 and 27 its all below 30, though when you hit 25 I laughed off one of my own jokes that 1/4 of my life was already over but being an optimist I don't look at that way. I still feel young I guess because I haven't really finished school yet, I have to go back and get my PHD I can't do anything that I really want to do with a Masters in History so I figure I will finish it and teach college I really like research and traveling and you do a lot of that as a history professor when your not teaching.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:40:58 PM
Dude Carr that's awsome. :) At one time I considered being a history prof, because I loved History so much.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 08:46:57 PM
I love it a lot I would rather do Museum work but the jobs are to sparse and I was going to go back and get my PHD any way so I figure I might as well go back, probably won't be till January, I need some more time to work out all the fiancial details. If I can't get it worked out might be August, I rather start January and get the ball rolling so I can finally finish getting my degree.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 09:03:23 PM
Man... that is a lot of school.

Well, I wouldn't say 25 means 1/4 of your "real" life is over, though. I mean I feel like life doesn't really begin until you start doing what you want. You cannot even appreciate things when you are 10, and you cannot be successful until you are older either.

So for me, perhaps my real life started young, at like 17 or so, maybe 16.5, because it took that long to learn the basics like not crapping my pants, walking, talking, writing, typing, lol, that kinda stuff ;)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 09:05:17 PM
Sometimes I think about the fact that I'll be 34 when EP comes along. Uggh...:x
But hey, at least I won't be in my 40's.;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 09:09:37 PM
I will be 30 when Ep 3 comes out which feels really weird, hopefully I will be teaching by that point.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 09:10:44 PM
Man, 34, your life will almost be over man!!! ;) lol, j/k

Well my dad is 60, just turned 60 on the 22nd anniversary of ESB. I wish my birthday was on a cool day like that... but I'm glad I'm not 60, haha.

They say the average age now is 76.9, but I better live to 95 or so. 77 is not that old, I mean it's old but not dead old. I'd rather live much longer, haha.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 09:12:37 PM
I'll be able to drink when Episode III comes out!!! ;)

Wait, I already do that. Err, I mean legally!!! WOW :) lol.

It would be funny to see a SW movie totally stoned off your butt, or super drunk but not so drunk you were throwing up or passed out, just very very buzzed. I don't disrespect the SW films like that, though. One time I was watching ANH late at night in my bed and fell asleep, so I gave myself 20 lashings out of respect for the saga. I beat myself with a lightsaber too :D

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 09:13:59 PM
*Reads through entire thread*

My how this thread evolved....:)

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:16:54 PM
I had problems last year convincing my teammates that I was 23, and I had to break out my birth certifcate to prove it. They all thought I was at LEAST 27. What does that say about me! Dammit! Now that I'm 24, what do I look? 43??????

Jon, as others have said, the girl will come along, they always do. Then you realize that she's making you do things that you swear you would never do. Like tucking in your shirt, chewing with your mouth closed. Must see TV. And worst of all, I guarantee that if she's around 3 years from now, you won't be seeing Episode 3 anywhere near the frequency you're at now! ;)

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 09:18:15 PM
LMAO Kyle!

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 09:35:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Sometimes I think about the fact that I'll be 34 when EP comes along. Uggh...:x
But hey, at least I won't be in my 40's.;)

Hey!!! I resemble that remark!!! :p :headbash >_<

The least they could do is give me a senior citizen's discount! :D

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 10:11:19 PM
She will have to accept my love of Star Wars, or it won't work. I will see Episode III as many times as I feel like it regardless of any other factors. Same goes for AOTC, but I cannot guarantee I will make it to any number. I just want to see it as much as I want and we'll see where that lands me. If I can near 50, wow sweet, if not that's ok too as long as I don't regret not seeing it enough.

My girlfriend better at least appreciate Star Wars, or at least be understanding, otherwise... she would have a lot of trouble ;)

Of course I would be willing to do tons of things I would normally never do, I mean as with anything it's give and take, not just everything you want to do. That doesn't bother me, but I do have certain things that I must do regardless. Like I watch all new movie releases, that won't change, because I want to be a filmmaker and critic, so I hope she likes movies because she'd be going to a lot of 'em ;) Bad and good. Haha.

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2002, 10:12:55 PM
I'll be 36 when EP III comes out.....

!!!!

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 11:21:43 PM
But think how lucky you guys are! 36, that means you lived through ANH! I mean how cool is that? :)

I wish I could seen that. I like when I was born, though, I mean it was a good time... SW movies on VHS, then I am getting to see the prequels in theaters, and of course I'd rather be born now than back when technology sucked, like a few hundred years ago. I'd probably rather be born in about 500 years when people can live forever from medications and surgeries and whatnot, but oh well, haha.

Marcus Telcontar
May 30th, 2002, 02:01:59 AM
I was like 8 when I saw Star Wars. OMG, it was just sooooooooooo cool. Flying ships! Wookies! Lightsabres!

You have any idea how exciting it was to see a lightsabre onscreen?

JonathanLB
May 30th, 2002, 05:21:19 AM
Yeah exactly, dang that would be something. It would be so cool to be there for the birth of a religion, err I mean a great movie series like the Star Wars Saga ;) haha.

I wish I could go back in time and see that opening, stay in 1977 for a week or so, then come back :)

dbn
May 30th, 2002, 06:24:16 AM
holy -DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR--DO-NOT-SWEAR- I will be like 34 when Ep.III comes out..lol!
I had to grow a beard so people don't think I am a teenager, not to say it does not have its advantages;)

your time will come soon Jon (dating, kissing, and other things;), and the best thing about it---It will be unexpected when it happens, at the moment when you really need it.:)))))

It was really fun seeing it back in 77. It was so cold and icy the cars could not start on its opening night in Kodiak-So, our damn fam walked four miles to watch it. All I can say about it for now, it was a magical night for us, and very much changed my life forever from that moment on. I would love to relive that moment again...

Jinn Fizz
May 30th, 2002, 08:02:29 AM
I was 13 when ANH first came out. Haven't been the same since. :D

And yeah, this thread sure took an interesting turn away from the original subject! :lol

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 08:08:15 AM
13 when ANH came out ?? Dam6 !!! and I thought JediEb(s) was old :D he is a spring chicken;)

when you went to the drive inns did you sit on dino's head???:lol j/k

Jinn Fizz
May 30th, 2002, 09:10:47 AM
:headbash Yabba Dabba DOOOOOOO!!!!!! :headbash

imported_QuiGonJ
May 30th, 2002, 11:17:57 AM
Well today I hit 35... and I have a cool girlfriend, I must admit.

On the Spidey thing, all I think is something Yoda might say... "When 5 films Spiderman reaches, look as good as AOTC at the box office, it will not." :p

flagg
May 30th, 2002, 02:55:59 PM
I don't know which depresses me more: AOTC's "disappointing" box office or all this talk of girlfriends, which I do not have :(
I agree it would be great to travel back to May, 1977 and see Star Wars for the first time, without all the hype and negativity and box office rubbish we have to deal with now. :)
I didn't see ANH until 1979, and I'm too young to remember what my first viewing was like.

Lady Vader
May 30th, 2002, 03:07:53 PM
Read the other day in a poll Time's magazine (which gave AOTC a wonderful review) made showing that the movie was mostly bringing in men and children as viewers, but not many women. Might also be why sales drop so drastically during weekdays. Most men are at work, and kids and teenagers are in school (until beginning/mid June), and yes, some women do work, but quite a lot stay at home. So, technically, they're free. But they don't go to see AOTC.

I swear! What is wrong with those damn females?! If I had free time during the day, I'd go see AOTC! I'd like to give em a piece of my mind! I feel ashamed to be a part of a sex where the majority doesn't appreciate the art that SW is. I mean, how uncultrued can you get?!

It's sad. :\

CMJ
May 30th, 2002, 03:09:37 PM
I don't know Lady Vader....in California, yes kids are still in school...but in other parts of the country they are already out.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 05:26:37 PM
It varies in the North east they go to school until mid June (because of snow days), in the south most get out this week, a few places they may have gotten out last week, but I say half the country is still in school.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 08:13:46 PM
Ok what are the Odds of AOTC having stronger legs ONCE all the schools are out?? and what are the odds of it getting spill over monies from the up and coming Blockbusters??I still feel 400 mil IF IF IF they keep it out long enough.WOULD it be possible for a film to start lagging and then Take a turn for the better??

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 09:20:00 PM
Sure its possible but I think what is hurting it, is that it is a darker film and that hurts with kids, I think that is part of the reason it is doing poorer. Maybe that is why it is doing better in Europe and Australia. LOTR was darker and it made a killing in both places.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 09:31:00 PM
I guess that makes sense,BUT every kid I see come out (of course I don't see all) they are so excited about what they have just seen.They are outside the theater prentending they are jedi's with light sabers.Oh No wait thats me :) No they do it too.Surely they want to see it agian IF they come out so excited. hell I have seen it 16 times and I'm still excited:D

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 09:45:14 PM
Well parents have to take them to see it and if they think its too dark and or too violent they might not take them, but I really don't know, I guess it depends a lot on the kid.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 09:53:14 PM
well they took them back for spidey , and it's really scarey for alot of kids,But like you said I don't know:(

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 10:00:54 PM
My nephew saw both and liked both of them, I think he liked SW better though. I am not sure about other kids.

JonathanLB
May 31st, 2002, 03:27:20 AM
Lady Vader, I know how you feel, lol. I try not to generalize and whatnot, but dang, seriously it makes me mad how naive a lot of girls are about something that really is a wonderful experience for ALL genders and age groups! You are one of relatively few (in percentage) who really appreciate Star Wars, among the girls, though. I mean, I saw the poll on SW.com a while back and it was 85% guys as fans.... I am not surprised by that I guess. Viewership for TPM was about 56% male, which was really good, I mean that 44% were female. That was quite a victory because ANH:SE, opening weekend at least, was 61% male, so quite heavily favoring males, much more so than TPM. Amazing...

Well, think of it this way... You being a girl and liking Star Wars makes you all the cooler and more unique! Girl Star Wars fans rock. We just need more of them! :(

QuiGonJ, LOL at your comment on Spider-Man 5.

BuffJedi, lol, oww man that was pretty harsh. I remember I used to kid this guy we had working for us when I was much younger. His name was Joe and he did maintenance around the house and whatnot, he was 75 or so by that point. Anyway, he would start to say, "When I was a kid..." (and this is something he said a lot), and I'd interrupt: "DINOSAURS roamed the earth!" (I got that from a commercial actually, and I've never forgotten it, hehe).

Kids getting out of school... Well let's see, most East colleges are out, most of California's colleges are out, except a few private ones (Cal. Tech. comes to mind, I think Stanford is still in session). LMU, USC, UCLA, UCSD, and most other colleges in Cali that I know of are out now, or have been out many weeks. Villanova in Philly got out weeks ago (Liz goes there, hehe). JHS, my old high school, JUST got out today for seniors, but regular students not graduating this year have another week to go. Public schools in the area have one week to go as well, or I guess two weeks in some cases. None are out now though, not here in Oregon.

Oregon colleges get out late as well, because our summer really isn't until the official start of summer. I mean, it was nice today, but the last two days before it rained, and we often get rain right up until (and even through) July 4th weekend. September is usually beautiful. We do not get a long summer here, though, it's usually pretty short. It's great, while it lasts... Both U of O and OSU, our two huge colleges, get out mid-June, two weeks from now.

"I don't know which depresses me more: AOTC's "disappointing" box office or all this talk of girlfriends, which I do not have"

Yeah, ouch. Both subjects depress me, lol. Actually Star Wars had really brought me out of depression a bit because of the SW Celebration and actually finally getting to see AOTC, and all of the cool stuff that surrounds that, like the new music, plus the toys, and all of that awesome stuff... But then the box office figures.

This happens a lot to me lately, though. I am fairly used to it at this point. :( I did my radio appearance, then they never wrote me back, so apparently they must have found someone else. I found an agent, but not a publisher. I bought a major Website, and then it started going downhill. Then I built a movie site, but the revenue plans don't work out as well as I would have thought (ok, ten times worse than estimates, actually). Always at first success, then quickly, well, things go wrong. I would have liked to see AOTC do very well because that would have at least been reassuring, and then even that seems to go wrong. Very odd...

I have never really had close to a girlfriend, well except one time I'd like to forget about because I never liked her, ugg, bad memory.

Liz. She is the only girl I've ever really liked and gotten to know well, at least other than Madeline in like the 6th grade and below ;) Doesn't count...

I had a few other friends who were girls, or I thought they were friends. Long story short, obviously I was mistaken. :(