PDA

View Full Version : Compuserve AOTC V. Spidey Poll

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 02:04:02 PM
Compuserve has another SW poll. This time AOTC is matched up head to head with Spidey. I voted for AOTC, which is something that I wouldn't have done with TPM, but right now we're trailing. Here are the current results and the link:

"Spider-Man" vs. "Star Wars:" Which was better?

"Spider-Man" spun the best story. 54%
"Star Wars" stepped on Spidey. 39%
Both stunk 7%

http://member.compuserve.com/entertainment/default.jsp?floc=MM7-Wed_am-mmpoll

If you get a screen with only the results then you may have to backtract to Compuserve's main page. Good luck.

darth_mcbain
May 29th, 2002, 02:15:26 PM
Well, I did my part, but Spidey is still ahead... Personally I think SW was a much better film. Spidey was good, but I can't place it in the same league as SW. However, I guess if people were looking for a more self-contained story, Spidey has that - but SW is the more epic film. Oh well - SW has always had its share of problems, either poor reviews, lack of recognition by awards shows, and competition against other films - none of that has ever hurt my feelings towards SW.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 02:18:33 PM
I voted as well...

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 02:28:02 PM
Okay, I voted. But ugh, AOTC has dropped 1% to 38%, with Spidey holding steady at 54%, and "both stunk" has gone up to 8%.

I know this is an unscientific poll, but still, it really bites to see these results. I guess I'm biased, but I got so much more out of AOTC. Spidey was fine entertainment, I'm glad I saw it, and I'll buy the DVD when it comes out, but for me, it's AOTC all the way!

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 02:44:33 PM
That is so stupid. Nobody really think thats. I've seen plenty of other polls and only a fool would say Spider-Man has a better story when you are comparing part of an epic saga to a simple comic book movie. I love Spider-Man and I love how well done the movie is, but come on, it's not Star Wars either.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 02:57:07 PM
theforce.net needs to put that link up I bet then it would be #1.it doesn't mean anything to me though, those kind of polls really tell us nothing.

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 05:05:28 PM
LOL, it means nothing. TFN could make that poll say what it should in about 5 hours. ;)

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 06:21:24 PM
If that poll is stupid and "nobody" thinks that then why will Spidey end up making $50M more than AOTC? Look, I heard PLENTY of people say they enjoyed Spidey more than AOTC. Just look back at old thread I did about those obnoxious DJ's who were going out of their way to slam AOTC. There are ALOT of people who've enjoyed AOTC more than Spidey. I really enjoyed Spidey, but I loved AOTC. But that's just me. I can tell you my wife enjoyed Spidey more than she did AOTC. She liked AOTC, but she had a much better time at Spidey. So did a lot of people. No biggy, it doesn't effect how much I loved AOTC one bit.

BTW, the results are now;
Spidey 56%
AOTC 37%
Both stunk 7%

JonathanLB
May 29th, 2002, 06:51:56 PM
There are many people who think Spider-Man is better than AOTC, and there are many people of below average intelligence too. Coincidence? Of course not! LOL.

If you don't understand Star Wars, you will not like AOTC as much as Spider-Man. It's just natural. If I didn't know the plot of the SW films, AOTC would not be nearly as good, although I have to say the effects alone would push it way above Spider-Man in my personal enjoyment because the plot does move at a swift pace and the film is just superior in every way to Spider-Man, yet I LOVE Spider-Man. Those are two of my favorite three of the year, but The Count of Monte Cristo blows Spider-Man away too. There is no comparison, I don't think. Yet what would happen if you put Spider-Man against Monte Cristo? Well not THAT many people saw Monte Cristo, so probably it would be about 85% to 15% at best, maybe worse than that.

I bet you A LOT OF PEOPLE who voted in that poll have not even seen AOTC and they judged it already, or maybe they didn't judge it, but they just decided to vote because they liked Spider-Man. I saw both. More than once each, actually. I loved both. AOTC is better, though.

Spider-Man = GREAT summer blockbuster.

Star Wars (any movie) = epic masterpiece.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:09:34 PM
Intelligence has nothing to do with, it's just a matter of taste. My wife's very intelligent and she liked Spidey more. Her chick tastes have something to do with it I expect, but it's still just a matter of taste. The point is, she still liked AOTC. That poll was worded poorly also. I mean I'm sure people voted for one movie, even though they liked the other. I certainly didn't think Spiderman was blown away by AOTC, but I voted for AOTC because I liked it a lot more.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 07:20:26 PM
Because of that I don't like that poll also it can be hacked and get results that don't mean anything (I am not saying that poll is hacked) I mean some SW fan could get pissed and hack the poll and it could go the other way, not to get anybody any ideas:rolleyes

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2002, 07:22:33 PM
I still say that Spiderman B.O. is rigged

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 07:44:59 PM
You and Buff man thank god Jedi3167 isn't around.

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 07:47:51 PM
I know...maybe I need to be more menacing. ;)

*sigh*

More conspiracy nonsense.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:58:04 PM
Actually there has been a conspiracy. I was a part of the last one and let me tell you, I'm making even MORE money off this one. We're not just pumping up Spidey's numbers, but we're padding our own bank accounts as well. I'm at around $12M. I only made $10M off the Titanic and TPM. It's wonderful!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 08:03:09 PM
:lol Yeah I remember he accused you of that.

Jinn Fizz
May 29th, 2002, 08:04:23 PM
You also have to admit that it's just simply fashionable to bash Star Wars. It's that thing about American society, where it's cool to act like you're above something so petty and common. It's nothing but intellectual snobbery, plain and simple, and I've always found it highly aggravating. >_<

What'll be interesting to see is how people will treat Spidey 2 when it comes out. Will it still be treated with respect, or will it become the new target for bashing?

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 08:05:40 PM
Eb...I was accused too...:P

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 08:06:31 PM
It'll make a ton of money, but not as much as the first. It'll also get tons of "didn't have the heart of the original", "tired", "retreaded", blah, blah, blah....

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 08:15:33 PM
I am wondering if TTT will get more bad reviews than FOTR. If it does it will be very ironic because they were filmed at the same time.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 09:09:44 PM
That'll be funny. Especially if some of the reviewers assume the movies were filmed at different times.

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:21:18 PM
It depends on whether LOTR is still considered cool in 6 months from now. If it is, the the reviews will be crappy.

That being said, in short the reviews will be crappy.

But what do I know? :D

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:44:42 PM
Geez, I don't know how many people have voted, but it looks like AotC isn't going to come close.

Marcus Telcontar
May 29th, 2002, 10:09:33 PM
Be interesting to see what is said about LOTR - also considering it's basically the same movie. I think the reviews will be more glowing for TTT, which is the better parts - ROTK I think could be a lame finish.

Jedieb
May 30th, 2002, 07:11:12 AM
The poll's been taken off the main page so it looks like it's over. Unless it gets hacked the vote is going to stand at 56%, 37%, and 7%.

JMK
May 30th, 2002, 07:13:35 AM
That an major keister-kicking for the web slinger!

Lady Vader
May 30th, 2002, 03:19:49 PM
Let's see... I can only vote once here from work. But from home... I'll vote and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again and then get offline and then get online and vote again...................... all the way until i can't get anymore IP addies. Hmmm... that'll take awhile. :lol

Jedieb
May 31st, 2002, 01:15:05 PM
Here's a poll that's much more fun!
Which was your favorite "Star Wars" film so far?
* 18211 responses

*"Star Wars"
27%

"The Empire Strikes Back"
51%

"Return of the Jedi"
17%

"Episode I: The Phantom Menace"
4%

This was off newsweek's review of AOTC, so it's been out for quite some time. I was surprised that ANH wasn't at the top, but you can't argue with those results. ;)