PDA

View Full Version : This weeks David Prowse comment...

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 01:14:19 PM
From IMDB.com:

Despite arthritis, crutches and one useless arm, the man who played the original Darth Vader is determined to make his mark on the final Star Wars film. Life-long body builder David Prowse, 66, donned the famous black helmet for George Lucas' first three episodes, and is eager to return for the historic final installment, which begins shooting next year. He says, "I still definitely want the part again. I'm going to have an operation on my hip in September and then I'm planning to go back to the gym. I should be fit and ready by next year. I have such a large following that if George Lucas offered the part to someone else, I'm sure fans would boycott the film." And Prowse is convinced he is in with a chance. Hayden Christensen, who plays Darth's Jedi alter ego Anakin Skywalker, is nearly one foot shorter than Prowse was as Vader.

First, since when has 6 inches been nearly a foot? :)

Serious though, I doubt the man who walked in the armour will cause a boycott if not used. Did people boycott TPM due to Bib Fortuna? :)

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 01:41:59 PM
Sheesh, with all the cr@p this guy is slinging towards GL, I might boycott the movie is he is Vader. Naaah, this little one's not worth the effort...

What a punk crybaby. I also don't know where he comes off saying he has such a big following... Where did thatcome from? Star Wars fans know who he is, but that's probably about it - he wasn't in all that much else...

Righ Gan Fang
May 28th, 2002, 01:43:02 PM
Well, 6" is nearer to a foot than 4".

If that is any consolation.

Live Wire
May 28th, 2002, 03:18:38 PM
hmm....when I think of vader I think of james earl jones...I know he wasnt the man in the suit but damn! He's got the voice! He defined Vader. If david prowse gets it that would be nice for him and a nice bit of sw history but if he doesnt Im not gonna boycott.

Charley
May 28th, 2002, 03:55:12 PM
Crap...with Prowse in that ratty shape, why the hell should he get the part? I'd take Hayden in platform shoes before that decrepit has-been.

Marcus Telcontar
May 28th, 2002, 04:12:00 PM
Hey, sent the footage to WETA. They know how to shrink / expand an actor. I see no reasn why Prowse should get the job. I would guess any size disrepancy will be taken over by a computer anyway.

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 04:18:36 PM
If they can make Yoda move the way he did in AOTC with a computer, then making someone a little taller and beefier should be noooooo problem...

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 06:00:27 PM
Well looks like Prowse stuck his foot in his mouth this time. What was he thinking? He's BIG, but he's not bigger than Star Wars itself. Come on Dave, settle down, have a pint, watch the world cup and enjoy your retirement. At $15 per autograph, and with that large following of fans you have, I'm sure its a comfy one.

Gabran Darkysa
May 28th, 2002, 08:09:06 PM
Originally posted by Live Wire
hmm....when I think of vader I think of james earl jones...I know he wasnt the man in the suit but damn! He's got the voice! He defined Vader. If david prowse gets it that would be nice for him and a nice bit of sw history but if he doesnt Im not gonna boycott.

I completely agree. It is James Earl Jones that is irreplacable as the voice of Darth Vader. All Prowse had was the physical characteristics Lucas desired for the portrayal of Vader. Prowse was very fortunate with the everpresent line-up of large inspiring actors waiting to get their foot in the door. No one is going to boycott EP.III on the account of what's his name... ;)

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 08:46:43 PM
You're right Live Wire, James Earl Jones IS Vader. We never get to see Prowse at all, so we all get to identify with that booming voice. Prowse has no leverage here, and has no hope of getting back in the black suit. He was hired the first time because he was a cheap, available, no-name actor.

BUFFJEDI
May 28th, 2002, 09:41:47 PM
Now I like Prowse was as nice as he could be BUT that's just a little over the top. I personally like it when Those who first do something , they do it agian . But with all this crying just makes me want to slap him around(I've met him, i could).

Jedieb
May 28th, 2002, 09:42:23 PM
Prowse is a very popular guest at conventions. He gets a lot of positive feedback from fans and I for one wouldn't mind seeing him as Vader. He almost died a short while ago so it would be nice to see him back as Vader. But let's be realistic, he may not be physically fit enough to resume the role. He had a stunt double in both ESB and ROTJ (Bob Anderson), and when the big moment came, he wasn't even the one to play the unmasked Vader/Anakin. So I think we're going to see another 7ft tall actor playing Vader. I just don't think we'll see Anakin because it's not necessary. You want height, not the same actor, it's just not necessary to have Hayden in the suit.

BUFFJEDI
May 28th, 2002, 09:43:34 PM
BTW: Prowse is a prime example of what happens when you use steriods,your body falls aparts as does your mind.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 12:18:53 AM
He can hardly walk, I doubt he would even be considered, I have no idea who they will use, probably just some stunt person I doubt it will be a long scene.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 29th, 2002, 12:42:09 AM
Hayden has said that he wants to be the guy in the suit this go around. And I say, let him if he can fill that ginormous helmet.

Prowse... if he could do the part, it would be sorta cool to have him in there. But he's a lot older now and falling to pieces, and these are PREquels. Young talent seems in order.

And I would not boycott any movie, let alone fricking STAR WARS EPISODE THREE for Prowse. But for James Earl Jones... perhaps. Good thing that's not an issue, and he IS the voice. JEJ is too cool, he really even likes Star Wars.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 06:58:33 PM
About the only way I think we'd see Hayden as Vader is if there's a scene of the mask going on. If there isn't then I really think the role will go to someone who's extremely tall. I believe Hayden's around 6', but Vader needs to tower over people in the same way he did in the OT. Even Liam couldn't pull that off and he's what, 6'4-5"?

ReaperFett
May 29th, 2002, 07:04:00 PM
Hayden is 6" shorter, 6 1 to 6 7. It'd be too big a difference IMO

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 07:14:00 PM
It's been said before, the guy in the suit can be anybody close to 7', but the voice MUST be James Earl Jones. Whenever I listen to the ROTJ radio dramatization it just doesn't FEEL right to hear guys like Perry King play Han Solo. I can picture the actor who did Vader's voice, he's very talented, but it's still not the same without that distinctive voice.

Admiral Lebron
May 29th, 2002, 07:28:11 PM
Yes. James Earl Jones is Vader. When we think of vader, we think him. I wonder what it must be like for him to watch the OT and hear him saying "Luke..I am your father." Must be so cool...or freaky.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 07:52:25 PM
Couldn't they just do trick photography like they did for LOTR. I mean Mckellan is about the height of Elijah Wood and they pulled the height thing there off really well. Also how are they going to explain that Vader is taller? Does that mean his legs are gone and they are robotic attachments.

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:06:26 PM
That remains to be seen, but they can absolutely use Hayden as Vader and make it look good if they really wanted to. Like Jedieb said, if there's a scene of the mask going on, Vader would most likely be sitting down, in which case, hiding the height is easy to do. If he's going to be shown walking about, then maybe they'lll go and get someone else, but I doubt it would be Prowse.

Jedieb
May 29th, 2002, 09:13:28 PM
Vader's height would suggest that Anakin is going to suffer some MAJOR physical trauma. Obi-Wan did say he was more man than machine. The machine could extend to most, if not all of his limbs. Boy, for someone who's suppose to be "the chosen one" he sure gets the crap beaten out of him!

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:31:19 PM
Damn, you'd think you'd get a little more respect for being the galaxy's savior!

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 09:38:38 PM
Well its possible whatever he falls in does it to him, maybe lava which was what it was in ROTJ novelization. I am sure if he falls in Lava or acid he will probably lose most of his limbs.

JMK
May 29th, 2002, 09:50:42 PM
Maybe he falls into some kind of mechanical gear system thing That mangles his limbs. I like the whole lava pit duel thing, but I have a hard time believing anyone, regardless of how much the force flows through them would survive for very long while bathing in lava. Lava is hot. It burns.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 12:16:35 AM
Another possibility is Acid which isn't as bad as Lava and is more survivable. There could be other possibilities I guess. Has to be something that takes out part of the back of his head or at least the skin.

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 07:39:43 AM
obi-wan could take out his legs and force push him in the lava/acid.how great that battle will be.

darth_mcbain
May 30th, 2002, 08:55:16 AM
I always thought that he falls into a molten pit, but not into the lava itself (i.e. maybe he lands on a rock outcropping or something), and that the fumes in the pit destroy his lungs. The loss of limbs and otherwise I assumed to be Obi-Wan's doing.

darth_mcbain
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:21:32 AM
From IMDB...

Fans of Hayden Christensen will have to do without his hunky features in the new Star Wars installment - he will be wearing the body suit and mask of the evil Darth Vader. A source on the Australian Fox Studios set, where Lucasfilm representatives reportedly visited last week, reports that the new movie, Episode III, will begin filming next summer, with Boba Fett actor Daniel Logan told to keep the months of July and August free. In addition to Christensen, who played Anakin Skywalker in Episode II: Attack of the Clones, donning Vader's famous black suit, the source, quoted on the Ain't It Cool News website, reports that casting director Robin Gurland met with British stars Samantha Morton, Robert Carlyle and Christopher Eccleston in London earlier this month. Jonathan Hales will reportedly return as co-writer, as will the CGI version of cult character Yoda - and mountains and caves around Australia have been touted as possible locations for the movie.

First off, I highly doubt that he would wear the suit for the entire movie as they imply. He has to start off as Anakin and then become Darth Vader, he won't just be Vader as the film starts...

Second, while I personally think that he will don the suit, the source here is ultimately AICN, which I don't actually think has the best track record for some of this stuff, so take this as you will...

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:32:17 AM
I agree, we won't see Vader's suit until later in the movie, probably closer to the end IMO.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:09:56 AM
AICN is probably more accurate %age wise with SW than you think. A lot of the Gabriel Byrne rumours came from Newspapers and the like. Its the "followups" that are usually BS. Quite often a careful read can show you mistakes that make it untrue

Chase Starwalker
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:11:21 PM
As long as James Earl Jones is doing the voice, I don't care who's in the suit, as long as he looks the part.

James Earl Jones IS Vader. Plain and Simple.

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 08:29:49 PM
Couldn't agree more.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 10:38:19 PM
AICN is a fecid steaming pile. Mention not that joke here.

I believe Earl Jones has been booked in to do at least fvie minutes worth of dialogue, so yes he will be back.

Live Wire
Jul 16th, 2002, 11:21:50 PM
yeah james earl jones will be back. I had heared they contracted him a few months ago. Though I hope its more then five minutes of dialogue though.

ReaperFett
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:58:05 AM
AICN is a fecid steaming pile. Mention not that joke here
WHy is it?

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:44:25 PM
I dont believe you guys!! Fine, lets get someone else to do Padme or Anakin, Bail Organa or Palapatine!! David Prowse is every bit as much of Darth Vader as JEJ is!! It took both of them to make the character work. If Prowse is able, after his surgery, to do the work, it should, by rights, go to him! Screw Hayden! Hes not one of the two who brought Vader to life and sents shivers up and down millions of spines with the darkside!!

Prowse is the original, the one who fist stepped onto the screen and he will always be Vader to me. I understand that most of you werent around for the first showing of ANH, ESB or possibly even ROTJ, but jesus christ people, lets have some respect here!!
GL dumped big time on David when he chose someone else at the end ROTJ and it pissed me off for months!! Still does!! He means to me what the actors isn the new episodes mean to you, so cut him some frellin slack!!!

Ok, Im better now. Thanks :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:56:54 PM
Sorry. No retraction but I do apologise for the heated way in which I said it. :cry

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:22:10 PM
Somebody fan down Lady Daiq;)

Though I hope its more then five minutes of dialogue though. think of it this way , 5 mins of dialogue could mean 30 + minute's of screen time. I think in like ROTJ he had only like 8 minutes of dialouge:)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:23:18 PM
But yes I hope Prowse is vader agian. I would be really ticked of if someone other than mayhew did chewie:\

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 17th, 2002, 07:45:31 PM
*Flings her arms around Buff, hugging him tightly*

:love

Thanks, Buff! It means a lot to me that at least youre not angry. And for the rest, I really am sorry for getting so heated. Its lsike your comparison...Mayhew gave Chewie life, just as Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker did with C3PO and R2D2. Accept no substitutions! :)

JMK
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:31:19 PM
If we see Vader unmasked, possibly in a scene where we see Anakin's face and then the helmet goes on forever, I want Hayden in there. If they needed someone bigger to do the rest of Vader's scenes, I'm all for that too. As long as Prowse can get around in the suit, I would be fine with him.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:09:35 PM
Flings her arms around Buff, hugging him tightly :o ahh, shucks :o

I just think Of prowse as Vader. always have and all way's will.Now I will say I think he has complained a little much , BUt I more than likely would have too . And I do HOPE he is able to move with grace in the suit.

and LADY Daiq, pay no attention to the other's in here they no not what they say:D ;)

Jedieb
Jul 18th, 2002, 02:03:05 PM
Note to self, make sure to duck for cover if someone makes a negative David P. comment in her presence...

Prowse wasn't Vader the whole time. The lightsaber battles in ESB and ROTJ were handled by a stuntman named Bob Anderson. I have the feeling that much of what we'll see in AOTC will be just too physically demanding for Prowse. I just want to be sure that we see a 7ft. tall Vader, which means Hayden won't be wearing the suit. Even Liam couldn't pull that off.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 18th, 2002, 02:59:26 PM
All the fanzines, etc that I had and still have accumulated stated that Bob Anderson taught Prowse and Hamill how to do the swordplay but never did it state once that Bob was the one to do it. If I can dig through the years of crap thats crammed into my shed, I'll pull my zines out and take a look...but dont hold your breath, lol.

Yes, Buff, David did do some whining, no complaints on that one. If he cannot move smoothly enough in the suit, then it should go to someone else as much as I hate to say it. I wish time had been more kind to him and the GL hadnt waited eons to get back to what he did best :)

Im calm now, Jedieb. Youre safe ;)

JMK
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:50:38 PM
I believe I saw on Entertainment Tonight one time that Bob Anderson was infact in the suit doing the saber scenes. I've said it before, and I'm positive that oif Hayden is to be seen wearing the armor, it will be while he is sittlng so it conceals his true height.