PDA

View Full Version : The coolest character in the SW universe

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 09:20:52 AM
Is Han Solo.

It had to be said.

It's probably already been said here, because it's a universally accepted fact, but honestly, you can never say it too many times...

In fact, the one thing missing from SW EP I and II is Han Solo.

Of course, if Han Solo had been in EPs I and II his first action would have been to kill Jar-Jar binks. Then turn to the bartender, look annoyed, throw him a credit and say

"Sorry for the mess."

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 09:40:39 AM
Han is definitely cool. But I wouldn't say that he was missing from Ep. I and II. Just because there is a cool character around doesn't mean he has to make an appearance in all of the movies - Han's place is in the OT.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 10:17:12 AM
Well, you know, I don't want to see a lil' Han running around shouting "Yippee" and saying "Yup". I wasn't actually suggesting they put Han in episodes 1-3, I'm just saying they're working at a disadvantage because he's not in them.

And they committed a major faux pas by having one of the characters (I won't say who, but Han is a better pilot) in the current crop say "I have a bad feeling about this," because all it did was remind everyone that Han Solo said it better. :)

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 10:26:42 AM
Originally posted by Garet Andrys
And they committed a major faux pas by having one of the characters (I won't say who, but Han is a better pilot) in the current crop say "I have a bad feeling about this," because all it did was remind everyone that Han Solo said it better. :)

Well someone had to say it - it is a SW trademark.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 10:31:43 AM
Just to be clear, are you saying that it's a piece of Star Wars history that had to be ackowledged, or are you saying that Lucas actually trademarked the phrase "I have a bad feeling about this?" I'm asking because, unfortunately, I could actually see Lucas doing that...

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2002, 10:46:30 AM
Well two and three have a very cool character, according to some SW fans, Boba Fett, of course he is only 10-13 in these movies so I am not sure there is much he can do, maybe he will disengrate Jar Jar in Ep 3.

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 10:56:33 AM
Just to be clear, are you saying that it's a piece of Star Wars history that had to be ackowledged, or are you saying that Lucas actually trademarked the phrase "I have a bad feeling about this?" I'm asking because, unfortunately, I could actually see Lucas doing that...

All I'm saying is that the phrase has been used in all of the Star Wars movies. It hasn't actually been trademarked by LucasFilm.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 12:00:50 PM
JMC, I know people out there like Boba Fett, and that's fine as far as I'm concerned... but a suitable replacement for Han Solo? C'mon. Not even close...

McBain, yeah, it's a trademark of the original movies... because it was said by Han Solo! Do you think it would have been as memorable if Luke had said it? Luke is memorable for other things, not for wisecracks and smartass commentary. It's like saying the "I love you / I know" exchange was really cool, so it should be put into every movie. It's cool because of the characters who said it and how they interacted.

(If Padme says to Anakin "I love you" in Ep3, and Anakin replies "I know," I will have to break something. A lot.) :)

CMJ
May 28th, 2002, 12:12:32 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong...but Han isn't the ONLY one who says that line in the OT is he? I could've sworn Luke says it at least once...and Leia as well.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 12:30:12 PM
Oh.

Well, fine. Go ahead and prove me wrong. :)

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 12:41:00 PM
"I have a bad feeling about this" is spoken by:

ANH:
Luke en route to the Death Star
Han in the trash compactor

ESB:
Leia in the space slug

ROTJ:
Threepio entering Jabba's palace
Han about to be roasted by the Ewoks

TPM:
Obi-Wan entering the Trade Federation Ship

AOTC:
Anakin in the arena

Those are the ones I can remember - there might be more.

CMJ
May 28th, 2002, 01:04:59 PM
I knew I was right. ;)

NeuroMortis
May 28th, 2002, 01:14:13 PM
Han said it first, and his delivery made the line worthy of repetition.

In fact, every line Han speaks is worthy of repetition.

Do it now.

Lando also said it in ESB.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 01:16:00 PM
Never tell me the odds!

NeuroMortis
May 28th, 2002, 01:17:40 PM
"I'm nice men."

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 01:38:58 PM
Originally posted by NeuroMortis
Han said it first...

Luke said it first, on the way to the Death Star. If you really want to split hairs, Luke said "I have a really bad feeling about this", and Han said "I have a bad feeling about this" - For me it is close enough so I would still say it was Luke who said it first.

Don't get me wrong, though - I do think Han is very cool and has many cool lines...

Righ Gan Fang
May 28th, 2002, 01:51:40 PM
I am gonna take a different road on this one.

I personally think Yoda is the coolest character in Star Wars. He's short, green, talks funny, and is one BAD@$$ Jedi Master.

Yeah, Han is really cool. But he never went ape-poopy with a lightsaber on anyone.

And I never much liked Boba Fett.

Just my opinion.

Garet Andrys
May 28th, 2002, 02:33:27 PM
Man, Han doesn't need that Jedi mumbo-jumbo. If Han were a Jedi, he'd be less cool. :D

CMJ
May 28th, 2002, 02:48:15 PM
My favorite character has always been Vader...

NeuroMortis
May 28th, 2002, 03:11:59 PM
Luke said it first, on the way to the Death Star. If you really want to split hairs, Luke said "I have a really bad feeling about this", and Han said "I have a bad feeling about this" - For me it is close enough so I would still say it was Luke who said it first.

For you, it's close enough.

For me, it's the difference between

"Blade Runner" and "Corvette Summer."

Live Wire
May 28th, 2002, 03:16:17 PM
vader has always been my hero! Who else can kill people with the flick of a wrist! He rocks....but Yoda's coming up close behind him.

Charley
May 28th, 2002, 04:55:40 PM
My hero is Kit Fisto :)

imported_QuiGonJ
May 28th, 2002, 04:57:37 PM
Artoo-Deetoo is the coolest character ever. That has to be said.

From a recent commentary bout Kirk v. Solo at http://www.grudge-match.com/ :

By contrast, the toughest opponent Solo has ever defeated have been stormtroopers, he managed to get himself captured in every movie (including one memorable incident where he was captured by Ewoks and another where he had to be rescued by the same), and needed three movies to score with a single woman when the only competition for her was her brother.

Lord Gue
May 28th, 2002, 05:25:41 PM
no non nien
the coolest character has to be Weylakorsun
that 5th stormtrooper to the right in the 5th rom on the left row in the emperors entrance scene to the death star, now hes cool

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 05:57:15 PM
"I have a bad feeling about this" is such a generic line, it can't be
trademarked, but it does have a certain ring to it when Han says it. The "I love you/I know" line is an exchange between two people, and not a one liner, so it's not going to re-appear in the movies.

NeuroMortis
May 28th, 2002, 05:58:21 PM
Artoo-Deetoo is my second fave.

Righ Gan Fang
May 28th, 2002, 10:22:07 PM
Originally posted by NeuroMortis

For you, it's close enough.

For me, it's the difference between

"Blade Runner" and "Corvette Summer."

Anybody else ever watch Corvette Summer when they were a kid just because Mark Hamill is in it and he was Luke Skywalker?

Yeah, I was a loser kid.

Jinn Fizz
May 28th, 2002, 10:36:15 PM
Originally posted by Righ Gan Fang

Anybody else ever watch Corvette Summer when they were a kid just because Mark Hamill is in it and he was Luke Skywalker?

Yeah, I was a loser kid.

Oh hell, I'm old enough that I was able to see Corvette Summer in its theatrical release, and you betcha, I went just because he was Luke Skywalker.

Loser Kids of the world, unite! :lol

Righ Gan Fang
May 28th, 2002, 10:49:22 PM
Ehhh..

My folks wouldn't take me to see it in the theatres. I had to wait till it was on TV one Saturday. But, man o man, was I stoked to see it.

Nice to see other loser kids, unafraid of their past!

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 28th, 2002, 11:56:56 PM
Favourite character: ...I cannot decide. I guess Han Solo. But Chewie is really cool, too. And so is (and WILL BE) Boba Fett. Okay, let's start over...

Favourite main character: Han Solo. Runner up? R2-D2.
Favourite bit part character: Boba Fett. Runner up? Kit Fisto.

[Edit]
Oh yeah, and Lando Calrissian has also said the "I have a bad feeling about this" line. I think he said it in ESB, but not sure. Also, Chewie said the line twice, once in ANH where they were trying to outrun three Star Destroyers and then again in ESB in some Hoth scene, I forget which just now. R2-D2 also has the distinction of saying a line similar to this, during the scene in ANH where he has just been sucked aboard the Jawa sandcrawler.

;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 12:14:47 AM
My favorite is Vader, and he has the best lines in the saga in my opinion, "You have failed me for the last time Admiral."

I do like Boba Fett, even though Jango is cool, I still like Boba better probably because we saw Boba first. I do like Han but he is no where near as cool as Vader.

Garet Andrys
May 29th, 2002, 01:11:37 AM
Bah! Han is much cooler than Vader, simply because everything is that much harder for him to accomplish. He's trying to out run the entire Imperial Fleet, his ship is falling apart around him, and Leia is being a royal pain in the butt:

"You don't have do this to impress me."

"You said you wanted to be around when I was wrong, your highness, well this might be it."

"I take it back."

Gold, man. Vader looks good doing everything, but he doesn't have to put any effort into it. It doesn't hurt that he has the voice of James Earl Jones. I'm not saying he sucks, mind you, he's pretty cool.

But Solo is the guy WITHOUT powers, who has to rely on his own wits and barely manageable technology to get out of a situation. No using the force to make a lightsaber come flying into his hand... if he drops his blaster in a fight, he has to crawl over and pick it up himself. He can't close his eyes and magically find his target, he has to go into the gun turret and force the stupid targeting computer to work the way it's supposed to. He can't jump 10 meters into the air, he has to find a ladder, try not to get shot running up to the catwalk, try not to get shot running across the catwalk, and try not to get shot doing whatever he wanted to do on the other side.

And he still manages to look good , talk good, and bag himself a princess.

Darth Turbogeek
May 29th, 2002, 01:15:00 AM
Oh yes, I agree Han was by far the coolest.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 29th, 2002, 02:16:26 AM
It's hard to say.

What is cooler? A loveable scoundrel seeing a badass Sith Lord, drawing his blaster and trying to shoot him dead in an impossible situation? Or a badass Sith Lord, seeing a loveable scoundrel and stopping his shots with his FRICKING HAND and a smile?

Those are both really cool. It is hard to really decide if Vader is cooler than Solo. They both even have cool names, although if you use "Anakin Skywalker" for Vader than Han wins that duel.

Garet Andrys
May 29th, 2002, 09:44:08 AM
Well, back up a few steps -- the loveable scoundrel remains a loveable scoundrel, even through the end of the third movie. Sure, he's GENERAL Loveable Scoundrel, but his attitude remains the same.

Meanwhile, the badass Sith Lord punks out at the very end of EP VI, and somehow magically 'atones' for all the horror and murder and all that stuff, and then we find out that he is neither James Earl Jones, the Official Voice of Doom of the Star Wars Universe, nor the giant of a man who made Vader seem menacing and was able to have those incredibly cool lightsaber duels in all that freaking armor, but instead some pudgy guy with a really bad varicose veins problem.

Score one for the scoundrel... :)

darth_mcbain
May 29th, 2002, 09:50:05 AM
The coolest character is Lando... Any guy who drinks Colt 45's while hanging with Lobot in Cloud City and trying to put the moves on Leia is one smooth character.

"Hello, what have we here?"

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 10:02:01 AM
Lando rocks!

"Why, you slimy, double-crossing, no-good swindler! You gotta lot of nerve coming here..after what you pulled."

CMJ
May 29th, 2002, 10:05:53 AM
I think my 2 favorite exchanges in the whole series involve Vader and Lando....

Lando Lalrissian: Lord Vader, what about Leia and the Wookiee?
Darth Vader: They must never again leave this city.
Lando Calrissian: That was never a condition of our agreement, nor was giving Han to this bounty hunter!
Darth Vader: Perhaps you think you're been treated unfairly?
Lando Calrissian: ...No.
Darth Vader: Good. It would be unfortunate if I had to leave a garrison here.

Darth Vader: Calrissian! Take the princess and the Wookie to my ship.
Lando Calrissian: You said they'd be left at the city under my supervision.
Darth Vader: I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.

darth_mcbain
May 29th, 2002, 10:20:59 AM
On the second exchange CMJ mentioned, did anyone else notice Lando reaching for his neck after Vader speaks? It is a small motion and it may be nothing, but I wonder if Vader used the Force to give Lando a little taste of what might happen if he resists. Did anyone else notice that?

BUFFJEDI
May 29th, 2002, 10:44:09 AM
Why yes :rolleyes :D

I don't know lando is a bad motherfo, But I have always been a huge chewie fan.

Garet Andrys
May 29th, 2002, 11:28:04 AM
Which is nothing compared to the "little taste" he got from Chewbacca a while later.

Chewbacca: not quite as subtle as Vader, but under the right circumstances every bit as intimidating. :D

Hunk
May 29th, 2002, 11:28:46 AM
R2-D2. Never has a character expressed so much range and emotion with beeps and flashes of light

Garet Andrys
May 29th, 2002, 11:57:37 AM
Never has a character tried to express so much range and emotion with beeps and flashes of light.

Droids in the SW universe confuse me. If they could program R2 to be so darned smart, and allow him to communicate with Luke through the computer in his X-Wing, why couldn't they just program him to speak? And what's the point of giving droids the ability to feel pain? I refer to, of course, that scene in ROTJ when a droid is being held upside and red-hot metal is being burned into its "feet" -- and it screams in pain.

There's just a lot of really weird stuff about Droids. I mean, if they're really as intelligent as C3PO and R2D2, then aren't the effectively enslaved to biological lifeforms?

It's crazy.

That said, I like R2.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 12:54:28 PM
I always liked the reactions that Imperial soliders gave to Vader in ESB they all seemed so scared everytime Vader walked past him. Really the reason why I like him too is his is a complex character he was a good person who went bad and commited one final good deed that redeamed himself. To me is shows how easy it is to commit evil deeds.

Wine Marisinthe
May 29th, 2002, 04:35:03 PM
Alec Guinness was sexy, so I'm biased.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 29th, 2002, 05:20:16 PM
Never has a character tried to express so much range and emotion with beeps and flashes of light.

Well, there was HAL... ;)

Droids in the SW universe confuse me. If they could program R2 to be so darned smart, and allow him to communicate with Luke through the computer in his X-Wing, why couldn't they just program him to speak? And what's the point of giving droids the ability to feel pain? I refer to, of course, that scene in ROTJ when a droid is being held upside and red-hot metal is being burned into its "feet" -- and it screams in pain.

You'd have to ask EV-9D9 about the whole pain thing, or just read the Tales from Jabba's Palace book. That's as good an explanation as I've ever heard suggested for the scene. As for Artoo not being able to talk, he is, after all, just an astromech droid. Their primary functions are not meant to be interacting with people, but machines. Artoo is the exeption to the rule... which is very strange and no one has ever even TRIED to explain how he's so smart.

There's just a lot of really weird stuff about Droids. I mean, if they're really as intelligent as C3PO and R2D2, then aren't the effectively enslaved to biological lifeforms?

Droids are an interesting discussion topic in the Star Wars universe. If they really COULD think for themselves, they could make mincemeat of the biologicals - as Obi-Wan says, "Well, if droids could think, there'd be none of us here, would there?" Read Tales of the Bounty Hunters, the story about IG-88, for some stuff about droids becoming intelligent - not just programmed that way, but really able to think for themselves. The Nemoidians are obviously frightened to death of droids being able to think for themselves and turning against their masters - hence the command ships, the stupidity of their battle droids, and why the Techno-Union droids are so much better. The line between "droids programmed to be as intelligent as R2-D2 and droids able to think for themselves" is very hazy, though. If there is a line, I don't know... you're right, it's crazy.

But I really like Artoo, also.

Gabran Darkysa
May 29th, 2002, 05:29:28 PM
The coolest character... hmmm... now that is hard to say.

Han Solo brought so much humor to the movies they would have been deadpan without him and Chewie. Him and the gang brought so much swashbuckling adventure to the movies. Han is ultra-cool!

Darth Vader is the most menacing of the Sith IMHO. He was the Chosen One, the messiah of death and destruction. He would live through two periods of imbalance in the Force before his death brought the prophesied Balance. Darth Vader is simply awesome!

R2 is by far one of the most emotional characters and he is a droid. What GL and crew can convey with beeps and whoops is amazing. R2 is adorable!

Jango and Boba Fett... I just love SW's concept of bounty hunting. These are not bail bondsmen but are more like a throwback to the Old West's guns for hire. With the sufficient amount of credits anyone can post a bounty. Boba is the most popular of support characters in the OT without an doubt. No wonder ... cool armor, rocketpack, and many insidious toys at his disposal. Jango is just as awesome with the twin blasters which gave him a very high gunslinger appeal. But Boba will always remain my favorite cult icon of the SW movies. These hunters are bad!

Other mentionables... Count Dooku, Darth Sidious/The Emperor, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, YODA, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca, Plo Koon, Ki-Adi-Mundi, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Bib Fortuna, and the clonetroopers.