PDA

View Full Version : Beginnings: The Tale of Kack Mebuff

Kack Mebuff
May 28th, 2002, 12:16:49 AM
Name: Kack Mebuff
Species: Human
Homeworld: Naboo
Height: 6'1"
Weapon: Purple bladed electrum lightsaber, Ruunya (Eleven sword handed down through his ancestry), light blaster pistol.
Weakness: His brother and his friends
Ship: The Star Skipper

It was beautiful day on the planet Naboo. The sun was shining, and there was not a cloud in the sky. All seemed peaceful ...

Then suddenly three swoop bikes tore across the rural landscape. Smoke billowed from their engines as they sped
along the pathways.

The leader, Core Mebuff, was a reknowned swoop pilot. He had competed in several races on near by systems including the infamous Tattooine. He was a complete gear-head, and had a penchant for getting into trouble.

His older brother, Kack, was more laid back, he often played the eletro-guitaran and sang in a local neo-jizz band, and also enjoyed other forms of art.

The third, was an intense young man, Eric Sanwe. He was a close friend of the Mebuff Brothers, although he was much
more like Core than Kack. Eric also, had a love for all things mechanic. He loved dismanteling things then putting them
back together, especially weapons.

As the three approached some of the farms Core yelled to his two companions, "Last one home is Kaadu fodder!"

"No! Wait!" Kack quickly cried out, but it was too late, Core had already sped off to a strong lead.

Eric, competitive as always, tried to keep up.

The three swerved, and ducked, and pushed the swoops far past their limits. As Kack was closing in on Core, he noticed a crop field ahead. "Core, look out!" he screamed.

Core paid no attention and went straight through the field. Kack cursed to himself and took the long way around, and Eric followed soon after. Kack hopped off his bike and set his helmet on the seat. "What were you thinking? Old man, Silo is not going to be happy, you fried a good few rows of his crops!" Kack
scolded.
"Don't worry about Silo, if he comes a-cryin' I'll pay him for the damages," Core retorted.
Kack sighed, "Fine, you two finish making adjustment's on Core's swoop with the parts we got from Theed. I'm heading in to study that book on the Jedi."
"You and your Jedi," Eric chuckled, "why don't you find a real hobby?"

Kack headed into the seemingly small dome he called home. He headed to his small room and opened up one of the dresser drawers. Inside lay several Famba skin covered books, and a long shaft covered up with a cloth. Kack removed the cloth to reveal what appeared to be the remains of an old lightsaber. It was old and worn now, but a long time ago it belonged to the Sith, Darth Maul, who had killed Kack and Core's great ancestor, Jedi, Qui-Gon Jinn. The lightsaber no longer functioned but Kack thought it interesting just the same. He drifted into a state of wonder as he dreamed of what it must have been like being a Jedi Knight in the days of the Old Republic.

But Kack's concentration was quickly broken by the ring of the telecom. He rushed to the com and when he answered, he
saw the image of a protocol droid. "Hello, I am C4D-R9, are you Core Mebuff?"
"No, that would be my brother, how can I help?" Kack replied.
"Please inform him that he and a guest have been formally invited to the Umgul Invitational Swoop Race. A ship will pick him and his guest up tomorrow at your local spaceport."

Kack rushed out of the house and to the service garage. "Core, we're going to Umgul!"
"For what?" Core asked quizzically.
"For the Umgul Invitational Swoop Race, that's what!"
"I made it in?"
"Yes!"

The next day arrived and the two boarded their ship and headed off. The journey took a couple days, and the brothers were happy to arrive on the biggest gambling plant in the galaxy. As they arrived at their hotel, the two couldn't help but notice the cantina near the lobby. Kack handed his one bag to Core and said "I'll be up in a few, I just want to check out the cantina."

Kack slowly walked over to the cantina, and took a seat at the bar. He motioned to the bartender and asked for some Juri Juice. As Kack waited he felt a presence behind him, and quickly spun around. Behind him he saw a short reptilian creature with two large fangs protruding from his lower jaw, wearing a flight suite about to tap Kack on the shoulder, who jumped at Kack's reaction. "You a swoop jockey?" the creature asked.
Kack laughed, "Me? No. My brother is. A damn good one at that. I'm Kack Mebuff, and you are?"
"Mal Beefoda, pleasure to meet you."
"The same."
The bar tender handed Kack his Juri Juice, who then took it in one shot. "So, I take it your a swoop jockey then?" Kack questioned.
"Yep" Mal took a swig of his own brew.
"Then your in the race tomorrow?"
"Yep" Mal took another swig.
"Well, good luck to you, see you tomorrow, my friend," Kack said as he stood up from the bar and headed back to his room.

Kack stood at the bar watching Core and Mal Beefoda exchange dirty looks at a nearby table. They seemed to be talking heatedly, probably arguing about something Core said, Kack figured. Then suddenly Mal pulled a round object from
his pouch and there was a flash of light.

Kack woke up in a pool of sweat, just a dream, he thought, but why did he have such a bad feeling about it? It all seemed so real. Kack dismissed it and went back to sleep.

The next morning, excitement was in the air as Kack and Core prepared the swoop in the large hangar that had been converted into a giant service gargage.
"I can't believe I'm in this race," Core said excitedly. His face suddenly turned worrisome. "Do you think I'll do alright?"
"Core, the best damn pilot I know, especially for your age," Kack reassured the youth.
Kack looked around and realized Core was probably the youngest person at the race, at the young age of 16, he was an amazing pilot. Kack figured the Force must be strong with his brother.

The race began. It didn't seem like much of a contest as Core quickly took the lead ahead of the other contestants. While the others attempted to take each other out, Core shot through an opening in the racers and took the lead. There would be only one lap so there was no room for error here.

Core could almost see the course before him, easily dodging any obstacles and even taking the hidden shortcuts.

As Core neared the finishline, he noticed someone coming up from behind him. It was Mal Beefoda, the little lizard-man, Kack had introduced him to earlier. Mal came up neck in neck with Core, the two tried to slow the other down by ramming into each other. However, when Mal saw that this wasn't working, he pulled a blaster from his belt and fired at Core's side ion engine. It quickly errupted into flames and slowed the swoop down drastically. Mal took the lead and finished first, Core passed the finish line, taking second and skidded his bike to stop. He leapt from the swoop as the engine exploded. Core whipped off his helmet and slammed it to the ground in dismay, while cursing to himself.

Kack ran up to Core and yelled, "What happened?"
"That little reptilian scumbag blasted my engine!" Core retorted.
"Mal?"
"Yeah"
"I'm sorry, Core, let's go back to the cantina and have a few drinks. Maybe that'll make you feel better."

Back at the bar Core and Kack sat at a table alone while the rest of the patrons congratulated Mal on his win. Core got up and headed towards Mal.
"Where are you going?" Kack asked. But before Core could have answered Kack instantly knew.

Core walked up to Mal and offered his left hand to shake, obviously befuddled, Mal quizzically reached to shake in the same manner, but before he could Core quckly connected with a punch to the face, knocking Mal off of his bar stool. Mal felt his face and noticed one of his fangs was broken. He jumped at Core but before he could make contact Kack grabbed him out of the air. "Look you two, let's settle this like civil human beings, errr ... reptiles, or whatever."
Kack guided the two to their table and set them both down, then headed to the bar.

From there he watched as the two argued heatedly. Kack couldn't help but have the feeling of deja-vu. Then suddenly he saw Mal pull a small round object from his pouch. It clicked in Kack's head as he rushed the table. There was a flash and Kack was knocked off this feet. He tried to get up but found himself pinned and slipped into unconsciousness.

Kack awoke surrounded by darkness. He opened his eyes but still it was dark. Kack figured he must be trapped underneath the rubble, but as he tried to stand he found he had no trouble at all. His right ankle hurt, broken, Kack assumed, but he could stand. But why was it so dark? And where was Core? Then he thought about it, the thermal detonator. Kack dropped to his knees and wept. There was no way Core could have survived, not with how close he had been to the explosion.

Still, Kack could not understand the darkness. Then it dawned on him, the explosion must have blinded him. Kack sat down and tried to sort through everything that was running through his head. He heard a raspy voice behind him, "Gimme all your money blind man!"
"I have nothing," was Kack's simple reply.
"Then I'll have to take your life."
"Do as you please."
"NO!" Kack heard a cry within his head, but it wasn't his own voice, it was that of another person, one he did not recognize.

Suddenly Kack felt himself lose control of his body, and said, "You want nothing of me, go away now."
The thug repeated, "I want nothing, I will go away now," and walked away.

Kack shook his head. What had just happened? Kack felt a hand on his shoulder, he spun and fell on his back. "Who are you? What do you want?"
"I am Jedi Master Mace Windu."
"That's impossible, you're dead!"
The man chuckled, "Yes, that I am. But that does not mean I cannot communicate with the living."
"Wha- what do you want from me?"
"Go to Coruscant and find your way to the Jedi Temple. There you will study to become a Jedi Knight like your great ancestor Qui-Gon Jinn."
"Yes, Master Windu."
"May the Force be with you, Kack."
With that the spirit disappeared.

Kack gathered himself up and headed to the spaceport. Oddly he knew exactly how to get there even without his vision. He boarded the next shuttle heading to Coruscant.

After another long and tiring journey. He finally arrived on the biggest city in the galaxy, Coruscant. He walked up to a street peddler, "Where can I buy sunglasses and some new clothes?" Kack asked.
"Right here, my blind friend."
"I have only a few credits," Kack held out a handful of credits.
"Well, it's not much my friend, but I can see you are in need of these so it will do."
Kack bowed graciously and went into a dark ally and changed. He patted himself down trying to determine what he had put on, it felt as though it were the traditional robes of the Jedi.

Kack walked slowly down the street towards the Jedi Temple. Finally, he reached the elegant building, and stood in front of the huge doors of the Temple. He took his first step through the door, his first step into a brave new world.