PDA

View Full Version : Padme Bombshell (Possible Spoilers)

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 07:49:29 PM
By now many of you might have heard today's Padme news. It's not something that I think is going to stay unknown for very long so I don't think it needs to be treated as a spoiler. It's been announced that Portman has signed on to film some scenes for the ROTJ DVD! This could mean a plethora of things. A dream sequence? Padme is still alive? Who knows, but I think it's rather interesting on several fronts. One of them being that apparently even MORE changes are in store for the OT than we had previously thought.

CMJ
May 27th, 2002, 07:51:45 PM
Oh no...sounds pretty bad to me. Kinda like them messing with Smitts and the destruction of Alderaan.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 07:55:24 PM
What's up with Smitts and Alderaan? I hadn't heard about that?

Jinn Fizz
May 27th, 2002, 08:05:04 PM
Personally, I don't like the idea of any more tweaking. If GL tweaks any of the OT enough, he'll change them so much from the originals that he'll ruin them. :(

The one rumor that truly worries me is that Natalie Portman will suddenly be playing Mon Mothma. I think that would be a horrendous idea, and it would also be a pretty rude thing to do to the actrss who originally portrayed her.

Leave 'em alone, George, please. Change isn't always a good thing.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 08:18:42 PM
All of these proposed changes are why I think there should be ORIGINAL versions of the OT on the DVD's. The more changes that are made, then the more Lucas is acting like the OT's never existed. I can understand adding scenes to make everything flow better and connect the 6 movies together more effectively. But it shouldn't be done at the cost of the ORIGINALS. People should have a chance to see the films they saw back in the late 70's and early 80's. I heard the Mon Mothma rumor too, but that one doesn't make sense. She barely has any scenes in ROTJ. To just plug her into that scene makes no sense to me. I think a kind of Leia flashback makes more sense.

Man I really want to see BOTH versions.

CMJ
May 27th, 2002, 08:18:54 PM
Eb...I heard that Lucas might insert a quick scene of Smitts on Alderaan before the planet blows up...I guess like a "Noooooooooooooooo" type of thing. ;)

Bronto
May 27th, 2002, 08:19:32 PM
My guess is the new Padme scene is going to be a memory sequence. Just images of her as Leia tells Luke what she remembers of her mother.

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 08:30:08 PM
Seeing Smitts on Alderaan could lendmore emotional impact to Alderaan's destruction. Especially if we see Alderaan in EP3. Then you could also see some scenes of Alderaan that were seen in EP3. But again, it's SUCH a departure from the original. As long as I get to see the original, I don't mind SE changes like that.

Marcus Telcontar
May 27th, 2002, 08:59:02 PM
Oh no.

This is rotten news. Please no!

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2002, 09:10:30 PM
It would depend on how it is done, it might be done because we don't see Padme die in EP 3 and and so it would explain that she dies in between in ROTJ it could make that moment even bigger because we now would know she is dead. As far as changes I think there should be a few like the Emperor in TESB they need to change that from that awful half monkey-woman thing because it really doesn't fit with the emperor as we know. The biggest problem would be adding stuff in ANH because it would fit too well unless he messed with the color to make it look like it was filmed in 76. We also had a thread about this is a while back called the Archival DVD, but that thread is probably long gone.

JMK
May 27th, 2002, 09:33:49 PM
No no no guys, this is good news. Yes, the originals need to be preserved and released as such. BUT, if George thinks he can make the 6 films be more streamlined, then I say go for it. This isn't an SE type alteration that basically says "look at what we can do now!". As for the Padme scenes, they're more than likely flashbacks or a shot of Padme somewhere else in the galaxy, alive. As for the Smitts scene, I'm all for it. There needs to be some kind of emotional attachment to make us feel the destruction of Alderaan. Maybe GL figured out that he needs to show suffering and death, like he DIDN'T do with Naboo in TPM.

Righ Gan Fang
May 27th, 2002, 09:42:52 PM
I have two points of view on this.

Having worked in film and theatre, I understand that George Lucas (like most directors) wants his 'definitive' vision of his films available. Every director wants us to see their vision, and their version of the film, but most times, studios get thier hands on the work and change/edit/cut films based on how they see fit. George is in a position now where he controls his work, and can show us what he really wanted us to see, with no meddling from the studio or producers.

On the other hand:

The original trilogy that I went to see as a kid, that I grew up with, that I watch every Christmas (now spilling over to New Years with Episode I) is the movie that I love. And it is very sad to me that I cannot buy a new set of vidoes with the original, untouched, redish blob around the Tie fighter havin films that I grew up with and love so much.

As Jedieb said:
"All of these proposed changes are why I think there should be ORIGINAL versions of the OT on the DVD's."
As great as that would be, I think it is also very unlikely.

And Natalie Portman playing Mon Mothma is just plain silly. That would be almost as bad as replacing David Prowse with Hayden Christiansen.

Sure, George has the right, and now also the ability, to make the films he originally inteded to make.

But we should also have the chance to see the film that we love.

I mean, I can still choose to watch the original theatrical release of "A Touch of Evil" and "Blade Runner", but I can also choose Orson Wells' and Ridley Scott's (respectively) original vision realized in their Directors cut's.

And I would also be buying the same film twice. So someone is making twice the money off of film buffs, like me. And, as long as I have the choice, I don't mind.

Sage Hazzard
May 27th, 2002, 10:55:48 PM
I know this might sound silly, but what if it's a ghost Padme? Maybe she's seen through the force, at the end campfire?

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2002, 11:02:15 PM
yeah but didn't the new Blade Runner DVD only have the new ending? I know there is a second Blade Runner DVD out there with the other ending. As far as adding stuff, I hope they add more celebration scenes in ROTJ, defintely Naboo, maybe some other worlds like Corellia or Mon Calamaria. Too bad we will have to wait 4 years before we find out what the DVD's will look like :(

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 27th, 2002, 11:31:19 PM
I'm completely with JMK here.

I watched my Ep I DVD recently, for the first time after seeing Ep II. And I could NOT stop thinking about how much Yoda looked like... a PUPPET. Criminy. I have NEVER thought that before, I'd always loved how he looked! But now that he's been shown completely in CG... I can't help but feel he should be made CG in all the films. It just makes watching the others feel so awkward.

Not to say there should be no original versions. I am all for making separate DVDs, or multiple versions all under one DVD case. Still... as long as I have my old OT on tape, I will not feel I NEED a newer version of the same old thing. George can keep tampering with the SW movies to make them all fit into each other and look the same, because I think it's a good thing.

I mean, how many of you still watch the old versions of the OT? I have the feeling the originals are something that will be watched once, just to see what they are like, by future generations... and then never to NEARLY never again. Sad? Maybe. But I don't mind.

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 05:08:25 AM
First, has it been announced OFFICIALLY? :)

Second, I'm holding back until we know. COuld be a flashback. I like the idea of Bail on Alderaan

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 07:51:52 AM
Yeah, how official is this announcement? I know it was released by MTV, but how solid are they as far as rumors go?

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 08:07:13 AM
I believe the termwould be "They make AICN look like the most reliable source in the galaxy" :)

Jinn Fizz
May 28th, 2002, 08:20:27 AM
:lol @ Reaper Fett

CMJ
May 28th, 2002, 08:41:23 AM
Shaed...I have to disgree with you on Yoda. I am of the opinion he still looks more realisitc as a puppet. Call me old school.

Taataani Meorrrei
May 28th, 2002, 09:04:23 AM
I want a Jimmy Smitts scene on Alderaan :)

Bail Organa: AAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!! (BOOM)

:lol

ReaperFett
May 28th, 2002, 09:35:52 AM
"Hmm, maybe I should be leaving..."

:)

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 10:40:24 AM
I would like to see the Bail scene be him sitting outside his office, an expression of total defeat on his face as the death star is visible in the sky, and knowing what's about to become of him and his people...

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2002, 10:44:12 AM
I think Yoda looked better CGI but that is just my opinion.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 10:47:11 AM
I'm with CMJ on this one, I thought the puppet had more presence. But I am still a big fan of CG Yoda from AotC. As a matter of fact, my least favorite Yoda is the puppet from TPM.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2002, 11:01:37 AM
I know maybe Lucas should put a CGI one in the place of that one, I don't think he should replace him in the other two movies, he works fine there but TPM Yoda looks really different compared to the one in AOTC.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 12:08:37 PM
People will say he should look different, and that's true - but he looks alot different in certain scenes, and I wish he would be fixed, but I won't complain, it's not that big deal, and I really haven't thought about that much before this thread.

Live Wire
May 28th, 2002, 03:29:05 PM
I have one thing to say to all this

(luke mode) NOOOOO!!!!!!! (/luke mode)

Jedieb
May 28th, 2002, 09:33:07 PM
I don't think Yoda should be changed in any of the films. The truth is, he's looked different in ALL of the films. Just consider the OT Yoda to be the older more wizened Jedi Master. One of the things I liked about the AOTC Yoda was that they took great care to try to make him as similiar to the OT Yoda as possible. The ears quiver, he still moves with that slow gait. They could have made him much smoother but they held back to try to match the OT Yoda. One of the changes I want to see is Ian as the Emperor in ESB. I think that's a no brainer. The ESB is not only a different voice, but it's a woman in heavy make up for goodness' sakes.

Jedi Master Carr
May 29th, 2002, 12:21:29 AM
not just make up, a monkey mask on her head, that has got to be changed.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 29th, 2002, 02:07:11 AM
Good call on the Emperor in ESB.

And I must admit I've only watched Ep I after seeing Ep II's Yoda. I think I won't mind the other Episodes' Yodas as much as that one, because I know I liked ESB and RotJ's Yodas more than TPM's.

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 05:20:14 PM
Well IMBD as the story up now, but they didn't include the thing that I read on theforce.net this morning that some interviewer asked Natalie and that was the first that she had heard of it. Also the IMBD says Jar Jar is going to be added in ANH. Now I think there is somebody out there that is fooling around where would Jar Jar be, unless he is taking a stroll on Alderraan before it blows up. I can't see any where else he would be.

Marcus Telcontar
May 30th, 2002, 08:00:49 PM
The Jar Jar thing is a stupid rumour, nothing more.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 30th, 2002, 08:40:34 PM
Ooh but seeing him blown up would be cool. :)

BUFFJEDI
May 30th, 2002, 08:46:08 PM
:lol :lol :lol

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 09:07:51 PM
I can see it now,
*here is Jar Jar going for a walk, "Moah Moah what a beatiful dahy." Is it jut me or it is getting really hot." Boom

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 30th, 2002, 09:21:56 PM
Even then, I do not want Jar Jar put into ANH. George can make a Jar Jar movie, make it like one of those Ewok ones for all that I care. Just as long as the Death Star vaporizes, anyway. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 30th, 2002, 09:29:17 PM
Now I wasn't being serious, it really would look odd seeing him walk around in ANH, he has no purpose, Bail Organa is one thing but Jar Jar is just stupid.

darth_mcbain
Sep 6th, 2002, 07:46:29 AM
According to Rick McCallum, it won't happen...

Q: I've heard rumors that Natalie Portman has shot scenes that will be inserted in to some future release of Return of the Jedi. Is this true?

A: What planet are you from?

No. There would be no reason to do that.

... unless maybe we could find that metal bikini! ;)

though that metal bikini would be nice...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:10:30 AM
I really don't think they will shoot any scenes for her, now there is one possibility she could do commentary on the ROTJ DVD or something like that, which would be cool.

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:19:17 AM
Metal bikini eh? :)

darth_mcbain
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:20:01 AM
I really hope they don't... I can understand a few things with special editions: cleaning a few things up, re-doing some special effects, maybe adding a few extra shots... But adding Padme into ROTJ just does not seem necessary and would be superfluous. She's dead for cryin' out loud, so it would either be as some kind of dream sequence or Jedi apparition thing (both un-necessary), or that she really didn't die (which is a whole different plot point and would really screw with the movie)

ROTJ is fine without her - they should leave it that way.

Let's hope McCallum is shooting straight with us here...

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:28:08 AM
He couldnt if he tried

JMK
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:29:48 AM
There really is no reason to have her in Jedi. Flashbacks are so not SW-like and she is dead...unless she isn't and has been watching this whole freakin time...o_O

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2002, 08:40:17 AM
Flashbacks arent SW, but neither was kissing relatives, slow motion or fast zoomins :)

JMK
Sep 6th, 2002, 09:53:20 AM
Kissing relatives is soooo Star Wars! The fast zoom in sucks though.

ReaperFett
Sep 6th, 2002, 10:34:28 AM
No it doesnt :)

JMK
Sep 6th, 2002, 10:54:58 AM
I hated it! I found so in your face, awkward. Kind of like when a cartoon zooms in right down a characters throat or up their nose. As close as I'd like to get to Portman, that fast closeup of her in that big mason jar was weird.