PDA

View Full Version : Computer on the Fritz! EMERGENCY!

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 27th, 2002, 11:37:05 AM
The reason I have been absent (as if anyone noticed) is my PC is messed up beyond belief. Taking a friends advice, I cleaned off everything from my 2 harddrives, (using Format C: /s ) now I have 30 gigs of empty space.

Then, while installing Window's 98 again (Windows 98 is the best in my opinion) some problems poped up. The computer is reading my 2 harddrives as one, and this is annoying. I keep the smaller Harddrive seperate from the main one to Download things into. So just incase a virus hits me, I have a better chance of saving my main drive. Now, I can not split the 2 drives up when I use FDISK. Also, when I try to install Window's 98, it claims that there is not enough room to install. I almost tossed my PC into a wall right there.

So I ask you all if anyone is a Computer Expert here? I'm not, I'm playing by ear. Never took a single PC class (except Web Programming) and I am in unknown waters. So I need some Help Please!

Morgan Evanar
May 27th, 2002, 11:42:52 AM
"Windows 98 is the best in my opinion"

*Yawn*

Try Windows 2000 Proffessional or XP.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 27th, 2002, 11:53:14 AM
My Opinion, I have not had troubles with 98 yet (except this loading probelm) and 2000, has to much graphic for my taste, my processor is only a 600mhz (Sad, I know) also, I do not have that type of money. I got 5 bucks to my name right now.

Morgan Evanar
May 27th, 2002, 03:11:39 PM
I ran 2000 very smoothly on a 600 (Duron). Generally speaking, on systems 300mhz and faster with 128 MB RAM or more, 2000 runs better than 98 because of memory management.

Marcus Telcontar
May 27th, 2002, 03:32:47 PM
2000 is your best bet. There is no real graphical difference between 2000 and 98 (XP is different). I refuse to support or help people with 98 at work.

Seriously, 98 is evil. Dont bother, get 2000 if you can.

Dark Lord Dyzm
May 27th, 2002, 04:28:18 PM
**Sigh**

I guess I need to make some money first...

And I wont touch this ME stuff my dad bought. I swear, Computer'N'Things screws him over so much. They some how always convience him to buy something else. I have the things I need written down, for they have been tested and are the best for video games. He comes home with something else, something better suited for a DVD player and 50 dollars more. He buys me a CD burner without my permission and then expects me to pay for it, me, who is broke. I am begaining to think that they installed an Old Harddrive into my PC, someone who was upgrading to a better computer.

Taataani Meorrrei
May 27th, 2002, 04:29:36 PM
XP = a godsend. I've been very happy with it.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 27th, 2002, 05:08:19 PM
Poor Dyzm! :( I have sympathy for you, but no advice, because I am not SMRT. :)