PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Evil in the universe? (spoilers)

Orig. Sin Lance Casey
May 26th, 2002, 05:40:31 PM
So your telling me that the creation of the Empire can be placed solely on one being? That Jar Jar is responsible? There is no way he's gonna live through the next one.

JMK
May 26th, 2002, 06:19:48 PM
I always found it odd that one minute, Jar Jar pipes up, suggests that the Chancellor get emergency powers, no official vote is taken, there's a whole lot of hollering, and BAM- he says he's creating an army. I always thought that was weird. The army was going to be built one way or the other, but still....

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 08:19:23 PM
I haven't got to that part in the book but I am wondering if there was a vote before and Jar Jar was just making it official. It is ironic that Jar Jar is the one that does it, as far as if he lives or dies who knows, it could go either way and work.

Doc Milo
May 27th, 2002, 12:24:35 AM
It could be that Palpatine is just endorsing the move -- and reassuring the senators of what the powers will be used for, and that he will lay them down when the crisis ends. The vote may have been taken later on . . . and that vote was just a for-gone conclusion....

JMK
May 27th, 2002, 07:01:24 AM
Doesn't it look like everything happened in the span of a couple minutes though? Maybe one of the novel readers can help us here?;)

Super Wookiee
May 27th, 2002, 06:44:29 PM
I thought Jar Jar was speaking for Amadala.....

Jedieb
May 27th, 2002, 08:27:17 PM
Jar Jar makes the motion and it's quickly ratified by the Senate. The theory is, because the motion comes from Jar Jar he pulls votes from BOTH sides of the Army issue. Those that wanted the Army get their way. Many of those that were against the Army are swayed because one of their strongest proponents, Amidala, has now changed her mind. That's who Jar Jar represents in that vote, Amidala. Everyone assumes he's speaking for her. Palpy was pretty slick there. Amidala may still not have called for the clone Army. But Jar Jar is MUCH easier to manipulate. I assume a basic yeah or ney vote was quickly taken.

Interesting thing about that scene. There's suppose to be a big joke when Jar Jar says "Dellow Felegates" instead of "Fellow Delegates." Everyone in the Senate starts laughing at him, Mas Amedda does his "Order, order!" for the 100th time and then Jar Jar finishes his motion. If you listen carefully you can see Lucas kept the "Dellow Felegates", but cut the whole joke. Gee, why would you get rid of a Jar Jar joke?:rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2002, 09:14:51 PM
There was also another Jar Jar joke there from what I heard the Senate began booing him when he showed up and he said, "You can boo all you want, I am not going anywhere (of course the syntax was probably different) I think that would have been funny but I guess Lucas decided it didn't work or something.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 27th, 2002, 11:09:12 PM
Aw, we missed seeing Jar Jar being insulted by incredibly important respresentives from thousands of planets.

Oh well, there's always the DVD.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 07:09:34 AM
Call me a sucker, but after seeing Jar Jar manipulated and suckered the way he was, I now have a soft spot for the idiot and I refuse to make fun of him anymore. ;)

darth_mcbain
May 28th, 2002, 09:42:52 AM
Jar Jar or no Jar Jar - the Empire would have been established in some way. Palpatine is too sneaky and cunning - if the Jar Jar angle didn't work he'd find another way.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 10:45:27 AM
True, I guess it makes things a bit easier for him when you've got a buffoon in the senate to manipulate.