PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Love [masked spoilers]

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 02:56:49 PM
Now that we know that Jedi can't marry and can't have commintment, what do you think about that. I personally think its a bad thing for the Jedi just like it is a bad thing for the Catholic Church with priests, have these stupid archaic principals saying you need to be like machines and basically have no attachments is a bad idea and is really the reason why the Jedi get extermanted in a sense because of Anakin but that is just my opinion

ReaperFett
May 26th, 2002, 03:17:27 PM
I see it this way. No love killed the Jedi :)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 26th, 2002, 03:19:41 PM
I agree.

Funny thing is, though, the Sith seem to be the same way. :)

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 03:31:57 PM
Well I would expect the sith but not the Jedi, the Jedi also seem out of touch removed from the real world which might become why people will become to hate them.

Jinn Fizz
May 26th, 2002, 03:32:23 PM
I do have a little bit of a struggle with the whole "thou shalt not love" aspect of the Jedi Order. The Force obviously has a genetic component. It seems as if midichlorians can be passed on from parent to child. Plus Luke said, "The Force runs strong in my family." So, if Jedi aren't supposed to love and aren't supposed to marry, then where do all the little Jedi come from, eh? :huh

Marcus Telcontar
May 26th, 2002, 04:02:26 PM
Actually, it's not quite like that. One of the Masters is in fact married and Jedi can go the swordfest (sort of Lucas' words) - its Padawans who are expressly forbidden to grow attachments.

ReaperFett
May 26th, 2002, 04:57:45 PM
Jedi aren't celebate, Uncle George's words :)

JMK
May 26th, 2002, 06:17:41 PM
Yeah, us Jedi aren't celebate! Not on my watch!

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 08:16:32 PM
I hadn't heard that though, from the way the novel reads all Jedi are not suppose to have attchments, not sure about the celbacy part for sure. Oh, that Jedi Master you mentioned is Ki-Adi and that is more EU he was married in the comics before TPM came out, and I think he read he had to be married because of the low population of his species or something like that. Also if you read in SW Essential Characters it mentions some of the Jedi in the EU who were married and had kids, like Kam Soulsar(sp) and Corran Horn's grandfather, they both were severly repremimanded for it, but the guide let it off as a crack that was just Corellian Jedi who were know for that kind of thing.

Figrin D'an
May 26th, 2002, 08:43:44 PM
The information about Ki-Adi-Mundi being married and having a family is on the official website, in the character archives. I'd say that makes it pretty official as canon.

As was said, the Jedi aren't celibate, and only padawans are strictly forbidden from having romantic relationships.

Padme: "Are you allowed to love? I thought that was forbidden for a Jedi?"

Anakin: "Attachment if forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would call unconditional love, is essential to a Jedi's life..."

He never says that marriage and romance is forbidden... just attachment. That could be interpretted as meaning that a Jedi's commitment to the Jedi Order must come first, even above that of a spouse or family.