PDA

View Full Version : $18.1M estimated for AOTC's 2nd Saturday

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 12:57:29 PM
Up 41.5% from Friday and down 42% from last Saturday.

TPM grossed $19.3M on the same Saturday.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:03:13 PM
Hmmmm not as much as I would've liked to see, but not bad either.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 01:07:27 PM
Agreed, it's not a bad number. Not after the previous days anyway.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:10:45 PM
Yeah...I was holding out hope it might hit 19 or 20M though. Still, it'll probably gross around the same today with tommorrow being a holiday. It might still have some life afterall. :)

flagg
May 26th, 2002, 01:17:27 PM
D'OH! You beat me! That's what I get for not doing a refresh before posting :)

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:18:39 PM
I hate when that happens. ;)

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2002, 01:19:03 PM
Well, I had hoped a little more, but it could have been worse.

What do you guys think it will make on monday?

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:20:14 PM
Hmmm 10M or so Monday I would guess. I'm really not sure at this point.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 01:21:35 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
What do you guys think it will make on monday?

I'd say $11.8M.

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2002, 01:23:51 PM
Hmm.. well, if it makes 18 tomorrow, and 9 on monday, it would be around or just below 60. Lets hope at least it goes above that mark.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:26:55 PM
Geez Dutchy..I revised my figure once(from 9 to 10)...you've done it at least 2 times so far(I saw 13.5 then 10.5...now 11.8). ;) A bit indecisive are we?? :)

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2002, 01:28:29 PM
Ok, I predict 17.4 for sunday, and 12,1 for monday. That puts it at 61M. Admittedly, I dont really know how much it will make, but at least it is a guess. Hopefully, it will do better though.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 01:35:28 PM
I could see that scenario playing out Yoghurt. It's definitely possible, but I could also see it making a lower figure...or even perhaps a slightly higher one.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 01:40:07 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Geez Dutchy..I revised my figure once(from 9 to 10)...you've done it at least 2 times so far(I saw 13.5 then 10.5...now 11.8). ;) A bit indecisive are we?? :)

Originally posted by CMJ
I'm really not sure at this point.

:p

Anyway, that $13.5M was looking at TPM, but I figure it'll have a worse decline than TPM, hence $11.8M. TPM's Monday was significantly higher than its Friday.

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2002, 01:40:24 PM
Well, for comparison, take a look at TPM's numbers:

13.5M
19.3M
18.5M
15.5M

Total: 66.8M

Just like in 99, friday was by far the worst, then saturday the highest, sunday a little lower, then a slight drop to monday. It seems to fit the pattern fairly well so far.

Edit: I have to add though, I dont really think it will make 15 on monday. Since saturday was lower, I think the total will less than TPM.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 01:43:59 PM
Yep, but TPM's Sunday was always bigger than its Friday where AOTC's 1st Sunday wasn't, so I figure its Memorial Day Monday will not be as good as last year.

Master Yoghurt
May 26th, 2002, 01:47:30 PM
I still feel sunday will be higher than friday though, but probably not as much as TPM.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 01:49:42 PM
This Sunday, sure, because of Monday being a Holiday.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 02:45:31 PM
Well its not a bad number but look at the rest of the figures, I'd say nobody is going to the movies this weekend or at least less than last year. I did hear that AAA said that they expected more people on the roads this year maybe that has something to do with the decrease in the box office compared to past Memorial Days, really only AOTC is doing well, I guess Insomnia is doing pretty good for the type of movie it is.

dbn
May 26th, 2002, 03:16:39 PM
Well it looks like it will fall short of my BoxOffice guesses this weekend..by 20 million but I am happy with the numbers that I am seeing, and it looks like Sony's surprise attack is working a little bit for opening up 200+ new places to take away that much more business for Attack of the Clones.

Well I hope a lot of Attack of the Clones TV spots will start up here soon:)

Jinn Fizz
May 26th, 2002, 03:26:59 PM
Ugh, it's not going to do as well this weekend as I would have liked to see it do. But I did my part today, and I'll do it again tomorrow as well. :)

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 03:28:02 PM
Saturday's number is not bad... but, we sure don't get to see another TPM obviously. That was fun to watch after the first anxiety washed away and we knew it was soaring.

I think Monday will be higher than Friday. Monday is a day off everywhere, Friday was not. I think that pattern will hold solid just as TPM's did, but this time with lower numbers and higher declines (from the previous weekend). So, probably $14M Monday. Sunday will be about $17.5 million I think, yeah...

One thing is for certain, this movie better not have a decline even greater than this weekend, next weekend. We can hardly afford that. AOTC has to show a bit more life than that, maybe a 35% decline. :\

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 03:29:12 PM
I don't think Sony's strategy really did anything for it because its screen average is worse so it really made no difference in my opinion. Really, I think a lot of people must have decided to go out town this weekend, because that is the worse Memorial Day numbers that I can remember, only two movies will clear 30 million and only one will be over 40 though it will be over 60, hopefull, that is still very bad for a big weekend as memorial day.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 03:32:21 PM
Bad? It's a great weekend...there's gonna be like 5 flicks with over 20M!

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 03:36:06 PM
Well it doesn't seem like any movie particularly dominated with an awe-inspiring performance. AOTC is solidly first, and as I suspected, none of the new releases provided much competition, but nonetheless, AOTC didn't exactly blow Spider-Man away either, haha.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 03:40:39 PM
Yeah...but IMHO it's a better indication of a big weekend when you have like say 5 20M flicks than 1 that does 100M and no others can crack 10M.

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 05:03:18 PM
I'd rather see AOTC just make $100 million during the weekend and everything else tank ;)

JMK
May 26th, 2002, 06:26:37 PM
Me too.
Still, I guess there's some hope left...

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 06:32:46 PM
Hey I didn't say I am happy with AOTC weekend number. All I was arguing was that Carr was mistaken and that this weekend is HUGE. I with our flick was responsible for a greater percentage of the grosses but alas it is not. I am almost dreading next weekend's drop off, it could be ugly.

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 06:38:18 PM
This is a crisis. That boy was our last hope! I have a bad feeling about this.

We have a new enemy.

Peter Parker.

He could destroy us.

He's just a boy.

If he could be turned, he would be a valuable ally.

Yes, yes, he would be a great asset. Can it be done?

He will join us or die, master.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 06:40:10 PM
LOL, maybe you should contribute to Eb and my Masterpiece theatre thread Jonathan. :)

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 06:49:35 PM
Nah, I could never compete ;)

Well if the Lakers could win a game where the officials just handed it to them and finally they hit a lucky shot at the buzzer, maybe anything is possible and AOTC can make $1 billion in just the U.S. ;) lol

There is nothing on this Earth, the Titanic phenomenon included, that I hate more than the Lakers. The three at the buzzer of the first half, first off, didn't count. It wasn't shot even close to before the buzzer, yet the officials of course waved it in anyway. Then of course, another lucky shot at the buzzer, after some really horrible officiating, and viola, Lakers win again. What a sickening team. The only people who like the Lakers live in LA. We, i.e. THE WORLD, hates that team, we hate Shaq, and we hate that arrogant Kobe Bryant, the ganster thug Fox, and all the rest of their stupid players. The Kings should be up 3-1 now looking at closing it out, but thanks to the SIXTH MAN (ok, fine, there are three refs, but they count as one extra player on the count for the Lakers), the Lakers are in it again. Yay! Thank god for human stupidity, or specifically that of officials. They did it to the Blazers, they did it to the Spurs, and they just did it to the Kings. They LOVE the Lakers. They are butt-buddies, apparently.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 06:54:01 PM
I am not a big fan of the Lakers either(though I don't think I quite have your level of hatred for them)...which I must say is very hard living in L.A. . They are HUGE down here....I can't go anywhere without seeing stuff for them.

Jedieb
May 26th, 2002, 07:34:34 PM
I HATE THE LAKERS!!!! LUCKY STUPID LAKERS!!!! :x

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 07:36:02 PM
LMAO Eb! I hated how the game ended too...but the Kings never should have let it come to that. They sat on their lead the entire second half.

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 07:59:25 PM
Its going to be Lakers vs Celtics I guarentee that especially after the Celtics came back from 21 points last night that was amazing. I think the Lakers will beat the Celtics too, all they have is two players, two great players but that is basically it.

As far as the box office, my point was last year Pearl Harbor made around 75 million, Shrek made almost 50 and I think there was a movie around 30 but I can't remember what. This year AOTC will have around 58-64, Spiderman 34-38 and then nothing above 25, also Enough won't make 20 it will probably do 16-18. Spirt is disapointing IMO, I though it would do better and make 22-25 (I don't think it was a great movie just a family film) so I think the numbers are less this year than last, not sure about other Memorial day weekends off hand though.

CMJ
May 26th, 2002, 08:04:34 PM
Overall though I think the weekend is larger. I think MORE films are playing to higher numbers...so I think this years holiday frame will be above last years. No way to know till tommorrow though. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
May 26th, 2002, 08:39:29 PM
Well Lee has the estimates up and he has 48 for the 3 days and 61 for the 4 (have no idea how he can make an estamite for 4 days before Sunday's final can come out) What I don't understand is how he has Spiderman doing better on Sunday than Saturday, I don't think that is right, I bet Spiderman finishes below 30 for the 3 days and makes about 37 for the 4.

JonathanLB
May 27th, 2002, 08:56:54 PM
He was totally wrong there, I don't know what he was smoking.

Spider-Man did NOT make more on Sunday. It will finish with about $36M for the four days according to the figures I saw. Below what I would have expected, which is excellent news.

Although AOTC has like a 5% shot at beating Spider-Man, if even that, maybe Spider-Man won't pass TPM now...

CMJ
May 27th, 2002, 09:04:13 PM
I don't think "Spiderman" will beat TPM...it'll be close though.

Jedi Master Carr
May 27th, 2002, 09:21:56 PM
I think it will begin to have steeper drops, I bet it will be under 20 next weekend with the #1 spot between Sum of All Fears and AOTC, I think AOTC will edge it out barley probably something like 32-36 to 28-35, but it will be close, depends on how high it opens.

CMJ
May 28th, 2002, 08:54:16 AM
Carr I was RIGHT, this weekend was larger than last year's. :P

Hollywood Enjoys Biggest Weekend Ever
Tuesday May 28 8:14 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) "Star Wars," "Spider-Man" and a rush of newcomers lifted Hollywood to a record Memorial Day weekend, with overall revenues expected to top $200 million for the first time.

The top 12 films alone grossed $193.5 million from Friday through Monday, surpassing the record of $186.1 million for all films set last year. Once final numbers are in for all movies later this week, the overall box office should come in at about $202 million, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

"Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones" remained the No. 1 movie with $61.2 million over the four-day weekend, putting its domestic total at $202.5 million in 12 days, according to studio estimates Monday.

It hit $200 million one day faster than its predecessor, "Episode I The Phantom Menace" in 1999. That film had held the record for quickest film to reach the $200 million mark until "Spider-Man" did it in nine days this month.

"Spider-Man" remained in second place with $36.5 million, pushing its total to $334.3 million in 25 days.

Debuting at No. 3 with $26.2 million was "Insomnia," starring Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank in a murder thriller set in Alaska. One of the best-reviewed movies so far this year, "Insomnia" was directed by Christopher Nolan, who directed "Memento."

The animated movie "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" opened in fourth place with $23 million. Premiering at No. 5 with $17.5 million was Jennifer Lopez's thriller "Enough," about a woman fighting back against her abusive husband.

It was as diverse a weekend as moviegoers could ask for, with action blockbusters balanced by smart adult films and family fare. Each of the main movie ratings were represented in the top four "Attack of the Clones" with a PG rating, "Spider-Man" with a PG-13, "Insomnia" with an R and "Spirit" with a G.

"It's like a magazine rack, there's so much to choose from," Dergarabedian said.

"Spider-Man" crossed $300 million in 22 days, beating the old record of 28 days set by "The Phantom Menace." "Spider-Man" passed "Forrest Gump" to become No. 6 on the all-time box-office chart and is closing in on No. 5, "Jurassic Park," which grossed $357.1 million.

"The top five is in our sights," said Jeff Blake, head of distribution and marketing for "Spider-Man" distributor Sony. "We're not quite sure where it will end after that."

While "Attack of the Clones" made it to $200 million faster than "The Phantom Menace," the latter film had a better second weekend, its revenues falling just 21 percent. Business for "Attack of the Clones" was off 41 percent in its second weekend, a decline distributor 20th Century Fox attributed to stronger competition this time out.

"Three years ago, we were pretty much alone. Now we're dealing with `Spider-Man' and a lot of other big movies out there with it," said Bruce Snyder, the studio's head of distribution.

Snyder said he did not think the steeper second weekend drop for "Attack of the Clones" has any bearing on the film's long-term prospects compared with "The Phantom Menace," which grossed $431 million domestically.

"I think we're right on target," Snyder said. "I'll know better after next weekend."

In limited release, a new adaptation of Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" opened solidly with $470,000 in 38 theaters. Directed by Oliver Parker ("An Ideal Husband"), the film stars Rupert Everett, Reese Witherspoon, Frances O'Connor, Colin Firth and Judi Dench.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Monday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Tuesday.

1. "Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones," $61.2 million.

2. "Spider-Man," $36.5 million.

3. "Insomnia," $26.2 million.

4. "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron," $23 million.

5. "Enough," $17.5 million.

6. "About a Boy," $10 million.

7. "Unfaithful," $7.7 million.

8. "The New Guy," $5.5 million. 9. "Changing Lanes," $2 million.

10. "The Scorpion King," $1.9 million.

Jedi Master Carr
May 28th, 2002, 10:39:49 AM
Well I was wrong, I admit that but still I think the movies recovered from Friday which was really low across the board, I guess most people went Saturday-Monday.

JMK
May 28th, 2002, 10:51:54 AM
Wow am I ever screwed for the contest! :lol

flagg
May 28th, 2002, 02:13:42 PM
Hate to say it, but I think AOTC will have an even bigger fall next weekend, since there won't be Memorial Day to cushion the fall. I wouldn't be surprised if Sum of All Fears is number one. :(

Hopefully AOTC will show better legs after that, though, since there should still be a steady stream of repeat viewings which most blockbusters don't get after the first few weeks.