PDA

View Full Version : Vader's thoughts on AotC

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 02:35:00 PM
From TF.N:

Skywalker14232 thought you might like to see an article on his local news channel's website. David Prowse was not too thrilled about SW2 it seems.
"Some of the acting was quite banal," Prowse told the newspaper. He also said "Attack of the Clones" relied too heavily on special effects.

"I think Star Wars was initially a really basic story, good over evil, relationships, a terrible villain. And people always referred to the characters as Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker, not by Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill," he said

I agree to a certain extent. While I think AotC's story is excellent, I'm beginning to think that the folks at Lucasfilm are focusing a bit too much on how perfect the effects look. The OT, IMO was much more character driven than these prequels, and that's what's going to make them last in people's minds forever. I'll love any SW movie, but I truly think a little too much attention is paid to the CG stuff now. If you watch the DVD commentary, they don't talk a whole lot about the movie, but rather the effects. You can also see that in the preview on the Collector's Edition VHS, which is all dedicated to CG. It's ironic because the last line in that commentary is that from McCallum and he says that as long as they don't forget the characters, great things will happen in movies. Unfortunately, it looks a little like they've forgotten what made SW so great in the first place; unforgettable characters. I've ranked AotC above everything but ESB, and that's probably partly due to the novelty factor, and partly due to the fact that we're really into the middle of the saga now.

disclaimer: I still LOVE SW more than anything! ;)

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 03:18:50 PM
Oh, because he was such a great actor. Didnt speak, fight, take the helmet off :)

Figrin D'an
May 25th, 2002, 03:22:00 PM
I agree a bit that there could be some more focus on character development (story-wise, I think the prequels have been great thusfar), but it's kind of a double-edged sword for the people at Lucasfilm. Because special effects standards are so high now, and have been growing in complexity by leaps and bounds in recent years thanks to computer technology, Lucas feels the pressure to make everything in the prequels "perfect" from a visual standpoint. His companies have set the industry standard, and if they don't include a huge effects budget and pay a lot of attention to those kind of things, the critics would start to say that Lucas was losing his edge on making new impressive battle sequences, etc.

The bottom line is that these films are being put under such a fine microscope by so many people, it's impossible for them to satisfy everyone's expectations... it just can't be done. There are some character aspects on which I wouldn't mind seeing some improvement, but I also understand the pressure to keep pushing the envelope on the tech-side of things. It's a no-win situation really. Spend too much time and effort on any given area, and pundits will criticize whatever didn't get quite as much attention...

As for David Prowse's comments... ditto to what Reaper said. I don't think he's in a position to criticize acting ability in a Star Wars film.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 03:37:09 PM
I don't know, Prowse is no great actor, actually, I hesitate to even call him an actor, (unless he's done theater that I'm not aware of, in which case oops), but I'm no actor either, and to be brutally honest, I think some of the acting has been bland as well, and I think CG is relied on a little too heavily. Does that mean I can't speak my mind? No, of course not, just as it doesn't mean he can't. Just because he's a "bad" actor doesn't mean he can't give his opinion on the movie. Of course, he's still bitter about not being used in ROTJ as Anakin.

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 03:52:19 PM
And not having the lines in ANH. Or ESB. And not being told the plot twist. And then the lines in ROTJ. Or being used under the mask.

Bitter man ;)

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 03:57:18 PM
Well that's his business. Did Lucas ever provide a reason as to why he never used Prowse's face? I like to think that anything they did to Sebastian Shaw, they could have done to Prowse. Maybe it was the size of his head altogether.Still, he's a very nice guy in person and very approachable despite his size. ;)

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 04:05:45 PM
I don't think Prowse could be made to look right. Too distinctive a face.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 04:22:59 PM
You're probably right, but aside from SW fans, who recognizes David Prowse? Except maybe for some of you in England that remember him from his "Safety Guy"days. Sorry, I can't remember exactly the name he took on.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 25th, 2002, 04:27:49 PM
If Darth Vader is so bitter, think how much Boba Fett must be. Really, that character has had more actors in the suit, though never one for the face (in the OT). Plus there's the separate voice actor, as there was for Vader. Wonder how Jeremy Bulloch feels about it. :)

Eh, I guess both OT characters and actors have had their share of things to be bitter about.

Figrin D'an
May 25th, 2002, 04:30:24 PM
Of course, Prowse can have an opinion.... everyone can have an opinion... it's just that his opinion won't be taken very seriously because of his "acting" in the original trilogy.

I can't say that I have seen Prowse in much of anything... in fact, the only film I've ever seen him in, besides Star Wars, was "A Clockwork Orange." I don't even think he had any lines in that role, either.

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 04:33:22 PM
The Green Cross Code man. He had to wear a Superman esque uniform, and stop kids from not looking before crossing the road. He got ANH delayed to film them :)

And Bulloch has always been quite cool about it from what I see. He used to answer a lot of online questions and stuff. I think he knew that his place was as a walking prop, and had a fun time doing it

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 25th, 2002, 05:15:36 PM
I know I would have... *Dreams again of wearing THE armor* Mmm...

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 05:48:57 PM
Bulloch has nothing but good things to say about his Star Wars experience. He definetly knew and accepted the fact that he was a walking prop. Just ask him and he'll tell you that he's proud as hell for being Boba Fett.

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 05:54:56 PM
Peter Mayhew was the same when he was posting at TF.N

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 06:05:19 PM
Well, I don't know about any of those things, but I had the extreme privelege of sharing one on one time with Jeremy Bulloch when he did the convention here. After the convention, I went down to the hotel's bar, and there he was enjoying a beer, so, I sat with him for about 20 minutes and talked about his SW experience. Here's something funny; the next time you watch Empire, specifically the carbon freeze scene, just make note that Bulloch had to take the worst pee break of his life, but they couldn't because it takes far too long to get the suit on and off. He said he was about to burst. That was the worst thing he had to say about his Sw experience.

ReaperFett
May 25th, 2002, 06:08:18 PM
lol :)

Apparently Temuera Morrison is a really nice bloke as well

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 06:14:21 PM
I wish they would continue to hold the conventions here, they were the best way to spend a weekend.

Jedi Master Carr
May 25th, 2002, 10:41:06 PM
Prowse is very bitter, I remember hearing how he wanted to be the ones to say the lines and not Jones, like that would have worked, he could never get over the fact that he was passed over. He has also said some bad things about the set of TESB he said Carrie was either off doing drugs or in Harrison Ford's dressing room (I think he made that part up, I have never heard anything about them fooling around, though Harrison's first marriage was breaking up at the time) Still he shouldn't be spreading rumors like that, that is just wrong to do that, it shows how bitter he is.

ReaperFett
May 26th, 2002, 04:30:55 AM
I dont know how he speaks now, but back in the ANH time, his accent got him the nickname "Darth Farmer" by Carrie. So, the most evil man in the universe, would sound unimposing? :)

Let's face it, James Earl Jones MADE Vader the scary guy he was

JMK
May 26th, 2002, 12:05:51 PM
Yep, James Earl Jones but that heavy, booming voice in there, and he is Vader's persona. Prowse gets some props though. ;)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 26th, 2002, 02:01:21 PM
Prowse WAS a prop, though. ;)