PDA

View Full Version : Ranthra Present --

Xylon Ranthra
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:10:43 AM
Simply signing-in.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 8th, 2002, 03:36:50 AM
Once again ... welcome aboard. As you can see, we don't "run things" with the formality of some other groups. Personally, I like it that way. We're supposed to be here to have fun.

Click on the link at the top of the forum to go to the New Republic Fleet Database. Click on the NR Fleet link.

The ships in the First and Fourth Fleets are currently without a commander. Make your request for ships for your own fleet from those available. All our shipyards are already allocated to other building projects.

As a side note, personally ... I think the size of a "fleet" in engagements is still ridiculous. I am looking at that page as if for the first time and I'm in shock that we actually have 200-some odd capital ships comprising one fighting unit. Lately on the boards, I've been getting a sense of people finally growing sick of this, and I hope that mentality changes.

If you look at my thread of active threads, you'll find the Peregrine Fleet. To me even -that- is a little too big, but it's a compromise. (The way I broke down the starfighters makes the list of overall fleet strength look larger than it is.) God willing, you'll never see me have to take more than a single battle group into any given RP. I'd encourage you to to use that as a benchmark for how many ships to request for the fleet under your command.

Xylon Ranthra
Feb 8th, 2002, 04:38:42 AM
Honestly, it's quite the opposite from where I originate. The galaxy is relatively new, and hence the fleets are minimal...too minimal. And if I'm correct, SWfan fleets haven't been downsized since Thrawn's reduction proposition a while back. With that, I can only imagine (especially with Vis running around).

Anyway, for that, expect nothing excessive once I consider the manifests.

AdmiralAckbar247
Feb 11th, 2002, 10:21:20 AM
Welcome!

Bel Iblis, I agree moving around with a 200 ship fleet is over the top. How about we

1. restrucured the fleets into several smaller ones, allowing each commander to have his own unit (flat command structure). This sort of structure is not dependent on the main commanders, allows more flexibility and is good for guirilla type hit and run tactics like the rebels used

or

2. divided each fleet into several units or taskforces, where the main commander must assign officers under his command, (hierarchial command structure). This is much how the NR worked in EU literature. The advantage is, it would encourage fleet commanders to recruit new people and there would be better coordination and support for each mission (second and third in command could tag along first in command).

or

3. a balance of the 2; dividing into more fleets and assigning officers under the main commanders.

Anyway, the most important thing is we dont move to much resources toward one point at once. This is both unrealistic and leaves our backyard vulnerable. The key is executing missions with a limited amount of resources. Remember, at any point, groups can be dispatched of a fleet, consisting of perhaps one, two or three star destroyers, each SD is supported by support vessels; 2-3 Nebulon B2 frigates, 2-3 Lancer frigates and a number of smaller ships.

Xylon Ranthra
Feb 11th, 2002, 09:57:51 PM
For one, a solid 25% of the entire manifest can be dedicated solely to instantaneous defense. That lengthy list of planets may be best divided into a few systems, seperating those 25% amongst the divisions for immediate defense. As far as commanders go, it can be easily whoever arrives first. Of course, permanent positions for such have the option of being set, yet that specific roster is best versatile.

For the remainding 75%, I am partial towards your 2nd idea. Roughly two subdivisions forming one division, with 3 or-so divisions at the top.

Adm Garm Bel Iblis
Feb 11th, 2002, 11:49:39 PM
I am going to be making a rough-draft web page with the new fleet organization ... similar to what I did several months ago when we tried this with NRCC.

We are all thinking along the same lines with how the fleet should be grouped. You'll see what I mean when I finish the org list.