PDA

View Full Version : The Most Arrogant Jedi

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 03:40:03 PM
Obi-Wan criticizes Anakin for being arrogant and Yoda points out that Anakin is not the only Jedi guilty of that. I thought the most arrogant Jedi in AOTC was not Anakin, but Madame Jocasta Nu, the Jedi Archivist. In the film she completely dismisses the idea that Obi-Wan's mysterious planet could exist. The mistake MUST be on his part. The Temple's records are infallible in her mind and to suggest otherwise is to recieve a not to subtle brow beating from her. In the novel she's even worse. She takes a dig at the source of Obi-Wan's information. She looks down upon the likes of Dexster. Then you have the entire Kamino dart incident. Again, the Temple's resources are seen as infallible. If Jocasta Nu is indicative of what has happened to certain members of the Jedi Order then they're ripe for the picking. Palpatine couldn't have picked a better time to make a grab for power.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 24th, 2002, 03:56:49 PM
Exactly.

In ESB, Luke does not believe - that is why he fails. In AotC, the Jedi believe too much - that is why THEY fail.

Although, I think that crescent-headed Jedi Council member that jumps up to Dooku's seat (okay, so there is no SEAT) was more arrogant.

I mean, taking on Jango Fett, Count Dooku, and a handful of super Battle Droids by yourself? What an idiot. :)

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 04:16:53 PM
He gets an A+ for effort though.

But Madame Jocasta Nu was totally rude. When she got all indignant with Obi Wan, I thought to myself "What a bitch!" No wonder the Jedi lose! They can't even keep their books in order!

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 24th, 2002, 04:27:51 PM
Eh, typical librarian. :)

Xazor Elessar
May 24th, 2002, 04:29:41 PM
:lol JMK....those were my sentiments exactly. I thought it kinda odd that she....a librarian lady, would second guess Obi-Wan....very arrogant indeed. Maybe she and Anakin have more in common then we thought. :lol They both share the same arrogance....but at least he doesn't second guess someone about an archive! :lol

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 04:38:48 PM
Is Jocasta Nu a jedi as well? Or just a bookkeeper?

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
May 24th, 2002, 04:45:09 PM
I am under the impression that all beings within the Jedi Temple on Coruscant (or whatever that place is called) are Jedi. I see nothing that clearly refutes this belief.

I don't see how she can consider herself to be so much superior to Obi-Wan if she wasn't even a Jedi. And I don't mean a Jedi that has a lightsaber and goes out and does stuff... I think that there may have been plenty of Jedi that were not suited to physical tasks, but mental ones.

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 04:47:47 PM
Maybe if she weren't so arrogant, she could have thought about it for a second and, like Yoda, realized that the planet was indeed there.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 07:04:51 PM
Yes, Nu is a Jedi. Her specialty just happens to Jedi history, not lightsabers. By contrast, Yoda is much more open minded. Just look at the method he uses to arrive at the truth, children. He doesn't feel embarrased or threatened enough to ask for the help of young children. It's a rare teacher than can admit he NEEDS the help of his students, especially when they're only 5. Could you picture Nu in the same situation? She'd probably scoff at the idea of asking children anything and storm out of the room. She's really a rather unlikeable character isn't she?

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 07:21:43 PM
Yeah, she's quite abraisive. Sure she acts all sweet and innocent on the website, but we saw her in action! ;)

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2002, 07:23:14 PM
She wears a Lightsabre btw :)

And remember, like Obi said, the records CANT be changed. So to have some young wipper snapper being impolite, acting like some shoe shiner on the corner knows more than her? An insult

:)

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 07:30:36 PM
Whatever, she doesn't have to turn into turbo-bitch over it. She's just not open minded enough to see what's really going on. Some Jedi. ;)

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2002, 07:31:34 PM
Please remember, only the 6 year old knew :)

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 07:35:27 PM
Let's not kid ourselves, Yoda knew, he was just testing the kids.

ReaperFett
May 24th, 2002, 07:42:08 PM
"What think you children?"

"It was removed?"

"That idea better than mine"

"ANd what was that Master Yoda"

"Eaten by Space Monkeys it was"

He didnt have a clue ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2002, 07:51:07 PM
:lol

I think Obi Wan was also arrogant (albeit in a different way than Nu), and that is what Yoda was getting at with his statement. Remember, in RotJ after Yoda's demise (:cry) he tells Luke that he thought that he could train Anakin as well as Yoda. Obviously, he couldn't.

darth_mcbain
May 24th, 2002, 09:12:43 PM
When Yoda says others are arrogant, I actually thought of Mace. He obviously wasn't the most openly arrogant - I agree that honor goes to Jocasta Nu. What I kept thinking of is that he's the only Jedi with a purple saber, and I thought it kind of arrogant of him - of all the Jedi out there, he has the special saber. Being a Jedi isn't about showing off and having a special weapon to distinguish you (which is one reason I LOVE the fact that there is NOTHING special about Yoda's saber - its green, just like any other - but the Jedi who wields it is what's important.)

Anyway, just some random thoughts...

Ognaj Fett
May 24th, 2002, 09:19:11 PM
I hope the library lady get killed in Ep III.
And Jar Jar.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2002, 09:36:49 PM
I think he means a lot of jedi look in the beginning when Padme question them saying Dooku might be behind they get all defensive. First Mace, "Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He wouldn't assinate anyone. Its not in his character." (this is based on the novel, I forget if was the same line in the movie) Ki-Adi-Mundi comes up and says that, "He is a political idealist. Not a murderer."

I think this shows that the arrogance has spread through the ranks as Yoda indicates.

Jedieb
May 24th, 2002, 10:12:51 PM
No one said she didn't wear a lightsaber, just that it wasn't her specialty. Either way, I hope she's one of the first to die in EP3. It serves her right that both Dexster and a child could make her look stupid. >D

Righ Gan Fang
May 24th, 2002, 11:14:33 PM
BURN HER, I SAY WE BUUUUURNNN HEEEERRRRR!

<looks around for his pitch fork and torch>

Lilaena De'Ville
May 24th, 2002, 11:40:34 PM
I don't think that the fact that his saber was purple had any bearing on him being arrogant. :) Although it was very cool. :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 24th, 2002, 11:57:40 PM
Yeah, I gotta say I was really turned off by Jocasta's tone of voice and just the general condescending air she put off. I've been on the recieving end of that stuff before, and I felt for Obi-Wan; nobody deserves to be treated like that.

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2002, 11:59:49 PM
Though one of his lines was a little arrogant, When Dooku told him they were outnumbered, Mace responded, "I don't think so." I loved the line though, and I am not sure if he was arrogant or the fact that he knew the clone army was coming and he knew that it would be the other way around.

Gabran Darkysa
May 25th, 2002, 01:12:50 AM
Here is an excerpt from the book in italics:

Obi: "Yes, I'm trying to find a planet system called Kamino. It doesn't seem to show up on any of the archive chart."

Nu: "Kamino?" "It's not a system I'm familiar with. Let me see."

Nu: "Are you sure you have the right coordinates?"

Obi: "According to my information, it should be in this quadrant somewhere. South of the Rishi Maze."

Nu: "But what are the exact coordinates?"

Obi: "I only know the quandrant."

Nu: "No coordinates? It sounds like the sort of directions you'd get from a street tout- some old miner or furbog trader."

Obi: "All three, actually."

Nu: "Are you sure it exists?"

Obi: "Absolutely."

Nu: "Let me do a gravitational scan."

Nu: "There are some inconsistancies here. Maybe the planet you're seeking was destroyed."

Obi: Wouldn't that be on record?"

Nu: "It ought to be, unless it was very recent."

Nu: "I hate to say it, but it looks like the system you're searching for doesn't exist."

Obi: "That's impossible- perhaps the Archives are incomplete."

Nu: "The Archives are comprehensive and totally secure, my young Jedi. One thing you may be absolutely sure of.. If an item does not appear in our records, it does not exist."

The two stared at each other a long moment, Obi-Wan taking note that there isn't the slightest tremor of doubt in Jocasta Nu's declaration.

I thought you guys would really relish that. She is so repulsively adamant about the Archives and her knowledge. Arrogant old crow! Hope she gets it first in EP.III.

Doc Milo
May 25th, 2002, 02:00:12 AM
It serves her right that both Dexster and a child could make her look stupid.

My mother always told me: "You can always trust a person if he can hug you and pull up his pants at the same time." :)

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 01:07:47 PM
:lol
That's so slick!

Jedieb
May 25th, 2002, 01:27:59 PM
LOL Doc! That's the passage that stuck in my brain Gabran. Some of her references to Dex were cut from the film, but the book makes her seem even more arrogant than the movie.

Gabran Darkysa
May 25th, 2002, 05:32:44 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
LOL Doc! That's the passage that stuck in my brain Gabran. Some of her references to Dex were cut from the film, but the book makes her seem even more arrogant than the movie.

I completely agree, she is very condescending toward Obi-Wan and with a very haughty perception towards those whom possess incomplete information. She does not know the angle Obi is working from, yet she offers stereotypes based on what she is given. Sheesh!

Oriadin
May 27th, 2002, 06:18:48 AM
Yoda definitely knew what had happend. Both the librarian and obi wan thought the records could not be touched. Yoda askes the children to get the point across that sometimes the simple answer is the actual answer. A child will always say the obvious and Yoda knew this.

JMK
May 27th, 2002, 07:34:20 AM
Yeah! I agree!