PDA

View Full Version : Thursday numbers! Spider-Man #1 with 5 million????

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 02:23:15 PM
No, actually. Hehe, just kidding ;)

Man are they being slow today. Did someone trip over the power cord or what?!

CMJ
May 24th, 2002, 02:32:03 PM
Damn Jonathan I almost had a heart attack. :P

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 02:34:10 PM
Jesus would that suck. I think I'd sell my Star Wars collection and go get myself some Spider-Man comics and t-shirts ;) lol, j/k

CMJ
May 24th, 2002, 02:37:09 PM
LMAO, don't go overboard! ;) When I first saw it I was like "WTF happened!?" That was a good April Fools Day type joke...6 weeks late. ;)

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 02:42:13 PM
What can I say, I've never been very seasonally accurate. :)

Not that it matters to the media, but in fairness I never think a first film in an obvious series should be compared to one of the Star Wars sequels.

ANH vs. anything! :)

$920 million or whatever adjusted, try to get to that speed record Spidey, lol. Yeah, right.

Dutchy
May 24th, 2002, 02:50:07 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
No, actually. Hehe, just kidding ;)

Man are they being slow today. Did someone trip over the power cord or what?!

They actually seem to be early this week, for otherwise the numbers are posted round my bedtime, while the AOTC numbers are being posted hours before I hit the sack. :)

Of course normally we're not nearly as eager to see the weekday's grosses, but for me they're posted early this week.

Where do you guys get your info from, by the way?

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 02:51:52 PM
I use ShowBizData.com and they are supposed to post at noon on weekends and 1:00 p.m. (which was almost an hour ago) on weekdays. So something is up today, kind of a pain.

sirdizzy
May 24th, 2002, 03:07:41 PM
dude i almost had a heart attack too i say we lynch him

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 03:11:05 PM
I say we lynch Spider-Man! :)

Dutchy
May 24th, 2002, 03:19:31 PM
Why did people almost have a heart attack? There's no way in boxoffice hell that Spider-Man will be #1 with $5M. Anyone who knows a lil boxoffice math knows that. :)

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 03:24:53 PM
*shrugs* Yeah. :)

Ok MAN are they slow today, this is making me mad. I've been reloading for about 90 minutes now. LOL, I should have just done something else but I keep thinking it'll be any time now. Any time. Any time. COME ON!!!!

I pay to use this service too, I should get the numbers early or something, lol. What, are the numbers Thursday too high to count in a timely fashion? Maybe they found a few extra million ticket sales from the other days of the week, so they are like, "Uh oh well we will just report $15.8 million for Thursday then." Hehe

Dutchy
May 24th, 2002, 03:28:51 PM
I've been reloading for about 90 minutes now. LOL, I should have just done something else but I keep thinking it'll be any time now. Any time. Any time. COME ON!!!!

Hehehe, I don't even find that odd and how many people would? :lol

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 03:32:20 PM
Jeez, you would think I had something better to do, but nope! No life here, move along, move along ;)

lol, j/k. I'm actually going to go work out and then swim now I think, I'm a bit tired of reloading. I think I used like 500 megs of bandwidth just reloading :)

dbn
May 24th, 2002, 03:32:33 PM
LOL!!
You really had me going on that one!!

I say we lynch Spider-Man! :)

I am all up for that!
did you happen to see that Spider-man is playing now at 3,800+ places!?!?

It looks like sony has a hard on to be number one this weekend.

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 03:38:33 PM
That's a lot of theaters, yeah I read that. Pretty... interesting. How far away could a 4,000+ theater movie be...? A year?

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 03:58:01 PM
I hope they have Thursday's numbers sometime before the end of the year!

Dutchy
May 24th, 2002, 04:01:09 PM
Why are you so eagerly awaiting Thursday's numbers? Okay, I'm interested too, of course, but I don't expect a surprise, really.

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 04:12:35 PM
Last day before the weekend, I'd just like to see what the number is, lol. I always enjoy checking the box office stats for any new SW film.

Dutchy
May 24th, 2002, 04:21:18 PM
Of course. Okay, I guess you're just as eager as the previous days then. :)

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 04:29:47 PM
Dammit, I nearly puked all over the keyboard after reading that. Don't do that!

Darth23
May 24th, 2002, 05:12:12 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Damn Jonathan I almost had a heart attack. :P

me too. >:

I just woke up after a nap and every site only has Wednesday's figures.

On the Conspiracy side I'd say that AOTC went UP for THursday, and they don't want us to know.

On the Pessimist side I'd say Jon is right ans we're all in for a shock.
:p

JonathanLB
May 25th, 2002, 06:23:19 AM
Well I have seen predictions this weekend like:

$64M (BoxOfficeMojo I think)
$70M (BoxOfficeGuru...)
$75M (BoxOfficeReport, I think)

I think if it only makes $64M this weekend, that's NOT at all a good sign, in fact that would suck pretty hard. $70M is ok... not super encouraging but a solid figure and it'd be quite good overall I suppose, but I am personally hoping for in the $75M to $80M range. Last time, TPM made more in its four days than in the previous three. I think the odds of that this time are way less, but you really never know. Perhaps mid-week numbers like these (great, but not phenomenal) just mean there will be more people this weekend, not during the week. Let's hope.

I'll be a little pessimistic and say $72.2 million for four days.

Dutchy
May 25th, 2002, 04:17:10 PM
I think if it only makes $64M this weekend, that's NOT at all a good sign, in fact that would suck pretty hard.

Well, with a $12.8M Friday I don't think it'll go much higher than $64M, if at all...

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 04:19:50 PM
At this point I would be quite pleased if it made 64M this weekend.

JMK
May 25th, 2002, 04:31:46 PM
Are you guys talking 4 day weekend or 3? At this point, 55M for 3 days is looking likely.

CMJ
May 25th, 2002, 04:32:56 PM
I'm speaking of 4 days....55M for 3 would be really good.

JonathanLB
May 25th, 2002, 05:27:23 PM
As I said Dutchy, NOT a good sign at all, I stick by that. I'm not impressed with $12.7 million on a second Friday. That is horribly awful for a Star Wars film that is so good. It's not like, oh gee, whoo hoo, that's still pretty good. No. It's not. It blows chunks for a film that should have good staying power but is going to display pretty pathetic legs at this rate.

I would expect Saturday to be down a more reasonable percent, but at best we're looking at 38% maybe for Saturday, probably then 30% Sunday (only because Monday is off, otherwise it would be 40% or so).

Oh well, what the heck right, box office gross is an indicator of how many people SAW something, not how many people liked it. CinemaScore: A-. Fans loved it. 'Nuff said.

Dutchy
May 26th, 2002, 02:36:11 AM
Oh well, what the heck right, box office gross is an indicator of how many people SAW something, not how many people liked it.

Really? Well, I remember you always said people loved TPM BECAUSE so many people saw it. That's quite the contradiction, I'd say.

JonathanLB
May 26th, 2002, 06:43:23 PM
Do not insult my intelligence, Dutchy. I am very fair with you now, but don't be a fool.

I never said anything of the sort and only a TOTAL IDIOT who knows nothing about the box office would say that. I said that the great declines proved TPM's popularity, which is absolutely true. It's not always true that mediocre box office staying power means the movie is not well liked (clearly, because sometimes disturbing movies or artsy films are quite popular with their audiences yet tumble nevertheless), but any film that holds on very well from weekend to weekend is of course very popular and receiving great word of mouth. Anyone who follows the box office knows that. Spider-Man is falling at fair percentages because of its excellent word of mouth. The Phantom Menace held up extremely well because people heard good things about it and wanted to see it for themselves.

With AOTC, people are clearly enjoying it as every poll is showing (SW.com, polls on TFN, Compuserve, Entertainment Weekly, and CinemaScore), but perhaps people are less likely to recommend a downer film, or maybe they really are just waiting for DVD. I have no idea. As you said, though, AOTC is a sequel to TPM and as such, it is performing more like a "normal" sequel (in relationship to its first part, that is, although few sequels ever make so much money, hehe).