PDA

View Full Version : $6,537,000 for Wed.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 07:21:31 PM
That's a -12.87% from the previous day. Spidey earned more on it's first Wed., but its drop was bigger. If AOTC is going to outdistance Spidey then it's going to have to start holding better than Spidey did. It's done that for Mon. and Wed. of this week and it's going to have to keep that up, especially this weekend.

CMJ
May 23rd, 2002, 07:24:04 PM
I will be watching AOTC perfomance this weekend with great interest.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 08:33:58 PM
TPM did not have a gross under $7M unti its 14th day of release! Whatever AOTC does this weekend, it's starting to look like it's falling behind TPM's pace. :(

CMJ
May 23rd, 2002, 08:35:24 PM
I have not thrown in the towel as of yet...but things already lok rather grim.

jjwr
May 23rd, 2002, 09:27:43 PM
All is not lost, TPM had 16years of anticipation so the gross was huge right off the bat. People aren't in as much of a rush to see AOTC and the grosses should be spread out a bit more than TPM.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2002, 09:33:21 PM
I agree with you jjwr, I think word of mouth will be huge and I was suspecting much from Wed, with kids still in school and all Wed I think is the worst day for movies being in the middle of the week, Thursday is usually bad but Must see TV is over so I am curious what it it did today, my local theater was packed this afternoon so I am hoping that is a good sign. It should make at least 6 maybe as much as 8 that would put it over 140 and it would depend what it did this weekend.

JonathanLB
May 23rd, 2002, 09:42:42 PM
Whatever, though, the Star Wars movies rock. Practically everyone has enjoyed AOTC. Sure, a lot of people have had gripes here and there (most people do about most movies), but most everyone has had a really fun time and I imagine that the staying power is still going to be good in the long haul.

I love AOTC. It's just such an awesome film. I love all of the SW films, though, and they are all going to be remembered as one massive, epic, enjoyable saga. The greatest sci-fi masterpiece ever put together, the work of many people under one vision, Lucas, who came together and changed the world, not just of film, but in general. I love Spider-Man, I really do, but I doubt it has inspired people the same way that Star Wars has, even though it is older. I've personally not heard that many "Spider-Man changed my life" stories, yet Star Wars literally did change my life! I owe it a lot, and I repay the saga and Lucas with my support and appreciation. :)

dbn
May 24th, 2002, 03:45:47 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Star Wars literally did change my life! I owe it a lot, and I repay the saga and Lucas with my support and appreciation. :)

nicely put!

I think AotC success will be during the Weekends, and sort of sputter around during the weekdays. I would like to see bigger numbers today, but I am in the mind set of long term success for it.

JMK
May 24th, 2002, 07:24:42 AM
Does anyone get the sense that were starting to cling to any glimmer of hope? ;)

flagg
May 24th, 2002, 01:26:39 PM
I think the reason for TPM's higher weekday grosses was a) a lot of people avoided the weekend fearing it would be packed out and b) a lot of non Star Wars fans saw the film just out of curiosity.
Things are very different now, so AOTC is playing more like a standard blockbuster. As long as it falls less than 25% this weekend, we should be fine.

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 01:30:32 PM
Yeah, but I think the movie is still going to do very well.

JonathanLB
May 24th, 2002, 01:35:50 PM
That is probably somewhat true, about TPM, with regard to people seeing it during the week that first week especially because of the sold-out weekend showings. Although AOTC was extremely busy and sold out for most key showings, people didn't see the same type of insane lines as they did for TPM, which were given really intense media coverage, so a lot of people avoided going opening weekend. I think that's why TPM had an opening weekend below what many of us thought it would, but then Sunday was so awesome, Monday was great, and the rest of the week made up for it.