PDA

View Full Version : AotC Title is a Metaphor (masked spoilers)

Doc Milo
May 22nd, 2002, 10:45:40 PM
After the release of the title for Attack of the Clones, many people hated it, thought it wasn't worthy of previous Star Wars titles because it wasn't as deep. It didn't convey the same double meanings, or hidden meanings as "The Phantom Menace" and "Return of the Jedi"

Now, after seeing the movie, I can honestly say that "Attack of the Clones" is, indeed, a metaphorical title.

After all the clones really don't "attack" they defend. But the concept of the clones, why they are created, the purpose for their creation, who created them, that is an attack on the very concept of the representative democracy that the Republic represents. It is an insidious attack on the republic by its own chancellor. It is the means in an evil plot to force the Senate to relinquish its power to the Supreme Chancellor, to relinquish any way to keep the Chancellor in check. The clones themselves do not attack. But there is definitely a metaphorical "Attack of the Clones" on the republic just by their very creation. After seeing the movie, I think there is no better title than the one it has been given. It is a very fitting title.

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 10:52:38 PM
The title grew on me - albeit, in the manner that fungus grows on one's feet. I don't quite agree with your view on it's meaning, but I do think the "Attack" part of the title isn't meant to be as literal as I initially thought it was.

Live Wire
May 22nd, 2002, 11:38:50 PM
thats a nice way to look at it. I dont loathe the title like I did. Though I still think attack of the killer tomatos. *sighs* But I like how you put it.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2002, 12:05:30 AM
I like that reasoning Doc, and I thought of that too after I saw the movie, it is a great metahphor for what Palpatine is really up to. Still I bet in Ep 3 the Clones will be attacking the Jedi.

Master Yoghurt
May 23rd, 2002, 04:53:10 AM
I think it is possible to find metaphorical meanings to just about any movie title

Hunk
May 23rd, 2002, 06:49:31 AM
Except "Dude, Where's My Car"

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 07:59:48 AM
I didn't like Attack of the Clones for the first few minutes of its release, then I started liking it. After my girlfriend and I saw, she said that the title is misleading, and I told her that it wasn't because of the reason Doc stated. Lucas is a sneak isn't he? ;)

darth_mcbain
May 23rd, 2002, 08:04:53 AM
I am probably in the minority - I liked the title from the beginning. And that is an interesting slant on it, Doc. I never quite thought of it that way, but it makes some sense.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 08:07:01 AM
I think the title can be taken literally as well. At the end the clones are part of a New Republic counterattack, so I think it works both ways. Like Doc said, they can viewed as an attack on the republic itself. I still can't get over how Palpatine and Sidious are playing BOTH sides. Purposely weakening his own government by propping up an opposition just so he can 1) make himself Supreme Chancelor, 2) Create a clone army and grant himself emergency powers, 3) eventually declare himself Emperor. A freakin evil genius is what he is!

BUFFJEDI
May 23rd, 2002, 08:51:53 AM
I think the shot at the end with them all looking off the balcony said it all. when I saw that, I could see in palpy's eyes he was thinking THAT"S ALL MINE!

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2002, 08:53:50 AM
I still dislike the title :)

Charley
May 23rd, 2002, 11:14:45 AM
I love the title, did from the beginning. I don't see anything overtly metaphorical about it. Seems pretty straightforward to me

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 11:22:03 AM
The title doesn't even phase me anymore. It now seems completely natural and fits in with the others. I don't mind people who still don't like it, but the losers who started petitions thinking they could or had a right to force Lucas to change it are just plain freaks!:lol

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2002, 11:58:57 AM
Hitler did some similar things I know he had the Reichstag burned to blame the Jews and communists and plus he used various other propaganda to make it seem like everybody was out to get Germany. So there are some parrells to real historical events.