PDA

View Full Version : GREAT international report!

Darth23
May 22nd, 2002, 11:24:47 AM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/weekend/2002/20.htm

It actually gives some perspective and comparisons to other movies (along with screen counts)

An excerpt:

"Crushing the previous record Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones sold $69.1 million worth of tickets for the highest-grossing weekend ever abroad with $179.3 million worldwide. It also broke Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone's international weekend of $62.3 million, which it took from 37 countries on 8,524 prints vs. AOTC's 72 territories on 5,854 screens.

Nearly $56 million came from Europe alone, with the rest coming from Australia and Asia. In the U.K., Germany, and Spain Episode II had the second-highest opening of all-time behind the boy wizard, which had the benefit of more screens.

In the United Kingdom AOTC debuted with $16,595,553 from 467 screens for a bountiful average of $35,537 for 75% of the Top 15's entire gross. It can now boast as the second-highest grossing weekend ever at $2.6 million more than The Phantom Menace and as the 10th widest release ever. Episode II blasted off with $3.38 million on its opening day and then took $13.2 million over the next three days. It took over $600,000 more than The Lord of the Rings' opening pushing that back to third in the highest grossing weekend column even though Ring's opened on three more screens. What's even more astonishing is that AOTC was only the 10th widest release ever. Phantom Menace was the 3rd widest release when it opened, which could mean that AOTC is already tracking much higher than Phantom Menace. Its opening already put it as the 6th highest grossing film this year and at number 133 on the all time list between Enemy of the State and The Jungle Book (Re-issues) (in local currency).
...."

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2002, 11:32:56 AM
Cool, I had read where it broke LOTR's record in Australia but I didn't realize how well it was doing, hey if it was on more screens it would have made even more money.

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 12:39:30 PM
Well this is certainly welcome news isn't it?:D

Dutchy
May 22nd, 2002, 02:58:27 PM
Impressive, but how many movies get a worldwide release and can be compared to AOTC? VERY few.

Darth23
May 22nd, 2002, 03:01:07 PM
Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings.

Darth23
May 22nd, 2002, 03:01:52 PM
I wasn't so much interested inthe numbers ans how those numbers compared to other recent big movies.

Marcus Telcontar
May 22nd, 2002, 04:55:55 PM
Broke the Australia record?

That's news to me. It beat HP, but failed to beat LOTR on release day and three day, although there was one Aussie record taken, that of four day total.

JonathanLB
May 22nd, 2002, 05:49:35 PM
AOTC did beat LOTR in Australia for its release frame. It obviously would not be possible to lose to LOTR on opening day AND the three-day weekend frame yet still win the four-day period. LOTR kepts its opening day record, that is true, it lost the opening record though.

It seems as though AOTC is doing well internationally. I wonder if it will do better internationally than it does domestically, when compared to TPM that is. Perhaps international audiences have more appreciation for an actual plot, for instance: A.I. U.S. audiences are like, "Ok, we got a chase scene, this rules... oh wait, dialogue, I don't want this, stupid plot getting in the way of the action... bo-ring! Oh cool, Jango vs. Obi-Wan.. oh wait, more dialogue, I am too stupid to understand this." Hopefully most audiences aren't like that, but there are MANY people who act like that. I think the problem with the critics, besides the others already mentioned, is that they were like (with all of the SW films), "Oh, great special effects, I will leave my brain at the door." Then the movie starts, they have to pay attention to political intrigue, deception, complicated relationships, and everything else that goes on with a Star Wars film, and they're like, "Uh oh... this is too confusing! I came here for effects, and I got plot too, yikes! I better write about how bad the plot was to cover up the fact I didn't understand it at all because I left my brain at the door."

Critics, can't live with them, can't kill 'em!

Marcus Telcontar
May 22nd, 2002, 06:09:06 PM
Critics, can't live with them, can't kill 'em!

Remember, your a critic too :)