PDA

View Full Version : OT DVD's

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2002, 09:17:06 AM
No they're not coming anytime soon, but there was a Lucas quote on the matter in the latest Insider;

"Asked if there's a possibility of including the original versions as alternate tracks, to show the evolution of films, showcase the state-of-the-art of the era, and preserve film history, Lucas said simply, 'I don't think so. I think of the film as The Special Edition. I don't think of it as the early version, any more than I would put early rough cuts on.'"

Frankly, I think this sucks. I was really looking forward to being able to see the original version along with the SE's. You'd think that someone who cares as much about film history as Lucas would pay attention. Now I've got to suffer through Greedo shooting first for the rest of my days. >_<

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 09:31:48 AM
He can still change that, and I my gut tells me that he will. If there's one thing that the fans would want changed, its that.

While I agree with Lucas that he should have one definitive version of the film, I think that maybe the OT should be released separately on DVD. It would be impossible to get the Original, SE and Ultimate Edition on one DVD.

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 09:49:08 AM
While in theory I would of course like to see the originals, I honestly never watch them. I still have the ROTJ and ESB originals on VHS and I haven't watched them in a really long time. I always watch the Special Editions. So I'm kind of on the fence, but I think it would be good to just have one version.

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2002, 10:42:12 AM
We're talking about a multiple disc set anyway. I can envision one big 6 film set on several discs. I just think that those versions should be included because they were around for so many years. The changes are signigicant enough that both versions of the films should be available to fans. I mean, I'd like to see the original ROTJ ending. The SE one is fine, but there wasn't anything particularly wrong with the first version. For a whole generation, that was the END of SW. They should have a chance to see the versions they grew up with.

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2002, 10:50:41 AM
Personally it doesn't bother me either way, Still, I have a feeling though that the whole Greedo thing might get changed but that is just my feeling on the matter. Really I will be happy to just get them on DVD.

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 11:18:39 AM
I'm like McBain, I only watch the widescreen SE's now, because officially that is the SW that Lucas wants us to see, but that being said, I don't want to have to rely on video tapes if I ever want to watch the originals say 20 years from now.

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 12:50:23 PM
Now I've got to suffer through Greedo shooting first for the rest of my days.What's the big deal about this? Sheesh... :rolleyes

I have the OT on VCD... that's going to have to do, for now. I also own about three different versions on VHS. :grumble

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 01:02:04 PM
What's the big deal? Well I don't want to speak for anyone here, but IMO, it makes Han look like a wuss compared to when he just smoked Greedo on the Original. Plus I find it looks horrible, I don't know what effects they used to achieve it, but it looks terrible. And another things, WHO MISSES FROM THAT RANGE? Sure Greedo is an idiot, but this pushes the envelope.

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 01:10:19 PM
Well said, JMK... In general I really like the SEs but that is the one thing I hope they change back the way it was. The two things I hate about it are (1) the effects were not really done well - it looks like they took Han's image and just dragged it to the side for a second, and (2) it just wasn't necessary. It should have been left the way it was - the original was so much better with Han totally getting the drop on Greedo.

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 01:17:22 PM
My only complaint is that yeah - it looks like they just took Han's image and dragged it to the side a bit. But I'm sure that could be fixed. It's a very minor thing, though, and doesn't affect my overall enjoyment of the movie.

Now, what I'd really like them for them cut out is the scene with Jabba in ANH - there's no need to basically repeat the same conversation we just heard a minute ago.

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2002, 01:23:56 PM
Call me crazy, but I miss that old Ewok song. Every time I watch the ROTJ SE I keep hearing that damn song in the back of my head. The ROTJ SE celebrations are great, but I'd rather have the old ending. In a perfect world, everybody could pick and choose what they liked, but that's unlikely. (Although I'm sure some people could easily program your player to swap scenes around.) Imagine a 2006 DVD set with a ROTJ SE ending with scenes of Naboo and a few other prequel planets?

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 01:43:16 PM
I'm sure that will be the case, and I miss yub yub too, but I doubt we'll ever see it again. :(
I would also like to see the big music scene in ROTJ restored to the way it used to be. It remind me of the muppet show and I don't like that scene at all.

darth_mcbain
May 22nd, 2002, 01:55:09 PM
Yeah, the whole Lapti Nek number in Jabba's palace was great - I like the new one, but every now and then I miss that old routine. And I guess I never thought of it that way, but it is reminiscent of the old Muppet Show. Especially with those obvious wires on Sy Snootles hands and mouth. Yeah it was cheesy, but it was a classic!

Live Wire
May 22nd, 2002, 02:10:30 PM
nooo!!! I want the original versions! I like the special editions of anh and esb...but I have to say it I hated the special edition of ROTJ. I grew up on the jaba's palace scene and music and memorized the ewok song as the end. Then to have it changed was just horrible. I loved him updating the special effects and adding old deleted scenes but to change two major scenes completely disappointed me. I didnt like the new jaba's palace scene. It was too cartoony and fake. And the new ewok music sucked. I did like the flashes of other planets celebrating. I'd hate not to have the original version on DVD. I would get the se too but honestly I dont watch my SE versions on vhs anymore. I pop in the originals especially if Im gonna watch RotJ.

JMK
May 22nd, 2002, 03:04:53 PM
Come to think of it, I don't like any of the changes to ROTJ SE except the shot of the banthas, and the end sequence. I don't mind the music, and I love the shots of the other cities. I hate Lapti Nek and I hate the sarlaac with the beak, I think it looks terrible too.

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2002, 04:39:58 PM
I like the SE ROTJ ending a lot better I hated the Ewok song but that is just me. The only thing I don't like in the special editions is the Greedo thing the rest of it doesn't really bother me, and I like the Jabba scene mostly because it is the only way it gets Boba Fett into 5 of the 6 Sw movies :p

Admiral Lebron
May 22nd, 2002, 05:43:31 PM
Yub Yub was the only thing I missed. I am huge ewok fan. Especially of Yub Yub!

HunterJodoKast
May 22nd, 2002, 06:52:35 PM
I agree with Jedieb! Han getting the drop on Greedo and taking the hunter out portrayed Han so much more realistically as a freelance smuggler and general rogue. It cast Han Solo in a rougher and grimer light, something intimately associated with his profession. Lucas did not have sugar-coat Han because Greedo was a scumbag and deserved to die.

Another thing that bothers me is the whole Jabba scene. Han steps on the slug crimelord's tail appendage without immediate repercussions. Come on now! That scene is so absurd considering Jabba lost alot of money because of Solo.

Give me the original OT anyday. It is what I enjoyed in theatres as a child and this original production is sacrosanct IMHO. They have greater historical significance than the SE and are a record of cinematography history.

I hope we are given a choice when the OT arrives on DVD.

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 08:44:16 PM
Another thing that bothers me is the whole Jabba scene. Han steps on the slug crimelord's tail appendage without immediate repercussionsThat's because the scene was originally shot with Jabba being a humanoid figure - this was before they decided Jabba was going to be a large slug. So when they added the scene back in, they removed the actor and digitally added the slug-like Jabba. The problem therein was that Han, at one point, walked around Jabba - and seemingly right through his tail. So they just raised his image a bit and made it look like he walked over the tail.

With the exception of that one scene, I'll take the SE over the originals any day. They feel much more polished; The film is of a higher quality, and they added quite a few nice effects - like how they showed much more of Bespin in ESB.

HunterJodoKast
May 22nd, 2002, 09:08:47 PM
Originally posted by Nupraptor With the exception of that one scene, I'll take the SE over the originals any day. They feel much more polished; The film is of a higher quality, and they added quite a few nice effects - like how they showed much more of Bespin in ESB.

I guess I am a traditionalist. Yes the original OT have outdated SFX by modern standards but that lends to their charm. And they contain far too much sentimental value to tampered with or changed in anyway whatsoever. However, the SFX does polishes up the movies very well especially the Deathstar's destruction. Even despite this, I would rather prefer they be left alone. A perfect thing does not require a facelift IMHO. :D

Marcus Telcontar
May 22nd, 2002, 09:27:19 PM
Oh, some of the OT to SE changes are welcome - exploding bits are a definate upgrade! I'll take the detonation of the Deathstar as it is done in the SE over the original.

HOWEVER....

The Greedo thing does annoy me. As stated, who the hell misses from that range? NOONE! Only change I truly hated in the SE

Master Yoghurt
May 23rd, 2002, 05:33:24 AM
I like the SE changes, except the Greedo scene.

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 11:19:28 AM
Well, the ROTJ SE explained something I've always wondered about. Where did the evil blood sucking plant from Little Shop of Horrors come from? Give me the old Freudian nightmare Sarlac anyday. But for me, the issue is simply. We should have the SW movies that were originally shown on theater screens all those years ago. Those versions of the films SHOULD be preserved. I would hope that Lucas would show some consideration to the large number of fans that want to see those versions on DVD.

Jedi Master Carr
May 23rd, 2002, 12:18:44 PM
Well it wouldn't be the first time, I know of two other examples Blade Runner and Spartacus that only included one version the directors new version. Blade Runner with the new ending and Spartacus with the added scenes. It really doesn't bother me, I still hope he changes the Greedo scene, I too can't see how anybody could miss from that close of a range.

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 03:30:50 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think that change sucks. How could Greedo have made it as a bounty hunter that long if he sucked that much?