PDA

View Full Version : Padme Question

darth_mcbain
May 21st, 2002, 04:46:10 PM
This isn't necessarily an Ep. II question, but it was nagging me the other day...

What is Padme's last name? I always thought that her name was Padme Naberrie. However, she is always referred to as Padme Amidala. I had thought the Amidala part of her name was attached when she was queen, as part of her title, but now that she is no longer queen, but a senator, her name is still Amidala. I haven't found a real satisfactory answer on this so far... Any thoughts?

Shawn
May 21st, 2002, 04:52:16 PM
Her full name is Padmé Naberrie Amidala.

darth_mcbain
May 21st, 2002, 05:00:10 PM
I don't know about that... According to the SW databank on the official site:

Born Padmé Naberrie, Queen Amidala was the formal name of the royal leader of Naboo.

So it would seem to me that Amidala is part of the formal title of queen and not so much her name. But if it is part of the formal title, why is she still called that as a senator?

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2002, 05:04:04 PM
It's Padmé Amidala

Lilaena De'Ville
May 21st, 2002, 05:07:20 PM
No! Its Jane Doe!

:D I thought that Naberrie was a made up last name for her "disguise" alter ego. ??

darth_mcbain
May 21st, 2002, 05:08:44 PM
Then what happened to the Naberrie portion of her name? This isn't a big deal or anything, but I just can't seem to get a decent answer on this.

She was born Padme Naberrie. Now she is Padme Amidala. Fine, I can handle that, but I just want to know if anyone knows how or why this change came about. Did she just change her name? Was it due to her royal position that she changed it? If it was part of the royal name, why does she still have it?

ReaperFett
May 21st, 2002, 05:11:30 PM
Naberrie may well be in her name. But Padmé AMidala is in the book :)

JMK
May 21st, 2002, 05:11:46 PM
I agree with Shawn, I remember her name being Padme Naberrie Amidala as well.

darth_mcbain
May 21st, 2002, 05:23:10 PM
But again, coming back to the databank, she was born Padme Naberrie. I guess I'm just looking for information as to why it changed from Naberrie to Amidala. Or if her true full name is Padme Naberrie Amidala, is Naberrie her middle name? Maybe her parents divorced and her last name is Naberrie-Amidala due to a step-father?

Perhaps Jocasta Nu may shed some light on this... I'll run it by her on the official site.

JMK
May 21st, 2002, 05:30:51 PM
I would venture to say that Naberrie is her middle name.

darth_mcbain
May 21st, 2002, 05:40:05 PM
Well, another wrinkle in this just came to my mind, because Padme's sister and nieces (I forget their first names off the top of my head) have the last name Naberrie. So that pretty much says it is not her middle name, but it was her original last name - and that takes us back to why did it change?

AZDaizy
May 21st, 2002, 05:46:22 PM
In the Visual Dictionary, Padme has two pages...one that is Senator Padme Amidala, and another that is Padme Naberrie. The one of Senator Padme Amidala focuses on her job...the other one focuses more on the personal Padme. So I'm guessing Naberrie is her real last name, and Amidala is just more of an official name. (I wish her real name was Amidala, because Naberrie sounds kinda funny :lol )

JMK
May 21st, 2002, 05:53:17 PM
2 names? That's dumb, like screen identities. Stupid. Why bother confusing people like that, unless it's to confuse people or she changes her name to Naberrie when she goes into hiding after episode 3....interesting....

AZDaizy
May 22nd, 2002, 03:38:52 PM
But why would she change it to hide? Don't people already know her last name is Naberrie? Anyone could trace it back to her family and do some damage...y'know?

Jedi Master Carr
May 22nd, 2002, 04:47:21 PM
I honestly have no clue either I was under the same impression as you Darth until they started using Amidala as her last name, maybe she liked it and decided to keep it as her offical last name.

Lilaena De'Ville
May 22nd, 2002, 09:19:06 PM
Perhaps its her "screen name" ...Like John Wayne's name wasn't really John Wayne, but everyone KNEW him as John Wayne.

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 09:21:13 PM
Padmé Naberrie Amidala is the name listed in the new Essential Guide to Characters.

BUFFJEDI
May 22nd, 2002, 11:02:34 PM
Just had to ad this (only highlight if your over 18)and male

did anyone notice padme's( head lights) in that white shirt? I did :D

Live Wire
May 22nd, 2002, 11:40:14 PM
thats pretty reliable nup.

And what were you looking at during episode two mr ravishing jedi???? hmmmm???

BUFFJEDI
May 22nd, 2002, 11:43:09 PM
:lol

well I was,uhh, uhhh :angel :angel

Btw : added 18 and male (don't want to offend )

AZDaizy
May 22nd, 2002, 11:48:29 PM
What's funny is that she is supposed to be on Tantooine...a HOT planent...but she sure looks cold :D

Nupraptor
May 22nd, 2002, 11:49:33 PM
Wow... I have something to look for, the next time I go to see AOTC. :D

Live Wire
May 22nd, 2002, 11:50:06 PM
oh man I cant watch this movie in the same way.....lol!

*bangs head on desk*

shame on all of you!! Thats luke and leia's mother for crying out loud!!!

Zartan Fett
May 22nd, 2002, 11:58:57 PM
Whoah! I just realized....

Anyways, I think I liked the Nexu ripping her shirt off way too much. What a screech! Then she started kicking some @$$. You have to love a woman that takes charge.

Threepio
May 23rd, 2002, 12:44:57 AM
I saw the headlights the first time I saw it.

:rolleyes

Live Wire
May 23rd, 2002, 12:51:16 AM
LW was too busy watching the MOVIE to notice such things.

Loki Ahmrah
May 23rd, 2002, 06:15:43 AM
Yes, last night I was very pleased to discover her smuggling peanuts in that white top. I thought I was the only one who had noticed. :smokin

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2002, 06:19:24 AM
I liked how One scratch removed half her shirt and the arm to it:)

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 07:35:06 AM
C'mon Reaper! That was a BIG scratch! :lol

I saw them too, I guess the air conditioning works well on her ship!

darth_mcbain
May 23rd, 2002, 08:07:29 AM
Man, you guys are shameless!!! :rolleyes

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2002, 08:19:36 AM

Jedieb
May 23rd, 2002, 08:28:06 AM
The point is moot, her name's Padme Skywalker now. ;)

I'm guessing that Amidala became her last name in much the same way a woman takes her husband's name when she gets married. Even after she leaves office she still keeps the name. Former U.S. Presidents can still be referred to as President (President Carter, President Ford, President Reagan, etc) although you often hear them referred to as 'former President', I believe they are still granted the title of President in many official functions.

As for the headlights, I noticed them the first time I saw her in that white outfit. I had flashbacks of Leia bouncing around in her white ANH outfit. That galaxy's got no place for bras baby! What a wonderful universe.... :evil

ReaperFett
May 23rd, 2002, 08:39:08 AM
Aside from in Jabba's palace :)

BUFFJEDI
May 23rd, 2002, 08:42:21 AM
I so forgot about leia's bouncing :rollin

Your right JediEB(S) the starwars universe is a wonderful thing thing:D

Just hope Live wire doesn't lay the smack down on us:(

I still can't get over smuggling peanuts that just kills me.

BUFFJEDI
May 23rd, 2002, 08:45:11 AM
ahhh!!!! slave outfit leia:D

Least we forget the Flash shot , of the slave dancer:)

You MAYBE lucas is sexiest:mischief ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 23rd, 2002, 02:08:24 PM
Lucas is NOT the sexiest.

I think you meant to say "sexist." And yes, he probably is. He *is* a man, after all.

:p

JMK
May 23rd, 2002, 03:19:50 PM
And a great man at that. Thank God for George.;)